Let's talk about the soul.

Options
CracceR
CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
What's your concept of a soul if you believe in it?

The soul, in many religious, philosophical and mythological traditions, is the incorporeal and, in many conceptions, immortal essence of a living thing.[1] According to most of the Abrahamic religions, immortal souls belong only to human beings. For example, the Catholic theologian Thomas Aquinas attributed "soul" (anima) to all organisms but argued that only human souls are immortal.[2] Other religions (most notably Jainism and Hinduism) teach that all biological organisms have souls, and others teach that even non-biological entities (such as rivers and mountains) possess souls. This latter belief is called animism

Comments

• CracceR
    Options
    already thought yall mfers dont have souls
    ayee atleast i tried
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good question, if we have a soul or spirit of some kind (something I kind of believe we do), I hope we can travel or are allowed to travel to a better place or a place at least as interesting as Earth. Hopefully better then Earth....Not sure how that would work out but it's something I hope for down the line
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Not sure if animals have souls though....it's something I thought about after my guinea pigs died like 12 years ago
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To me, the soul is a connection between the physical vessel and the Grand Creator, man and ? , etc. It's like the driver and the body is the vehicle. The soul is essentially you, and the things you attract in the physical world is attracted by your soul. All the things created by man in this world to some degree is created on a spiritual plane to attract your soul... but our connection to ? is what keeps us from being complete zombies, no matter how lost we appear to be.
  • kingblaze84
    edited July 2015
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    Good question, if we have a soul or spirit of some kind (something I kind of believe we do), I hope we can travel or are allowed to travel to a better place or a place at least as interesting as Earth. Hopefully better then Earth....Not sure how that would work out but it's something I hope for down the line

don't worry most likely you'll be going to some place more interesting indeed
    650x366

LMAO......and where do you think you're going to go?? Heaven? Not according to some other religions.

You got a better chance of ending up in hell then me. I seen you mentioning demons coming out of you in that leaked pic thread....
  • kingblaze84
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Not sure if anyone knows this but the brain gives off the pleasure chemical DMT at death and near death....many people who suffer from near death experiences and are unconscious claim they see visions of heaven or feel pleasant feelings. It's because DMT gets released like crazy during death or near death. The chemicals keep being released but I don't know for how long.

If there is no soul or don't believe in a soul, don't worry.....you may still experience a version of heaven at death.

http://jonbarron.org/article/brain-functions-even-after-death#.VagShjZViko

• kingblaze84
    edited July 2015
    Options
    An amazing paragraph from the article......

Neuroscientist Mario Beauregard of the University of Montreal, on the other hand, does have a theory based on his recent study of 15 people who had near-death experiences that might offer an explanation. Dr. Beauregard contends that the mind lives outside the physiology of the brain, so that even when the brain dies, the mind (as opposed to the brain) has the ability to remain aware. In his study, he asked subjects to recall what happened to them when they died as he measured their brain-wave activity via 32 electrodes. According to his findings, the NDE changes brain wave patterns permanently, conferring the individual with an ability to move into a delta state similar to that experienced by monks, yogis, and long-time meditators. And Dr. Beauregard says, "...the near-death experience triggers something at a neural level in the brain. And perhaps this change, in terms of brain activity, is sort of permanent." Taking his ideas to the next step, this would mean that the mind alters the brain.

This means possibly, that the mind exists outside of the brain, something many spiritualists have long said. If the mind truly exists outside of the brain, then life after death is LIKELY.
  • CracceR
    edited July 2015
    Options
    my version of the soul is basically the same as the buddhist version as far as i know, it resonates the most with me
    we are not our brain/mind/feelings, we are not our body, we are the consciousness/soul that observes our mind and body.
    and if we dont watch out we get sucked in the ego(part of the mind) and are basically fucced
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Neuroscientist Mario Beauregard of the University of Montreal, on the other hand, does have a theory based on his recent study of 15 people who had near-death experiences that might offer an explanation. Dr. Beauregard contends that the mind lives outside the physiology of the brain, so that even when the brain dies, the mind (as opposed to the brain) has the ability to remain aware. In his study, he asked subjects to recall what happened to them when they died as he measured their brain-wave activity via 32 electrodes. According to his findings, the NDE changes brain wave patterns permanently, conferring the individual with an ability to move into a delta state similar to that experienced by monks, yogis, and long-time meditators. And Dr. Beauregard says, "...the near-death experience triggers something at a neural level in the brain. And perhaps this change, in terms of brain activity, is sort of permanent." Taking his ideas to the next step, this would mean that the mind alters the brain.

This means possibly, that the mind exists outside of the brain, something many spiritualists have long said. If the mind truly exists outside of the brain, then life after death is LIKELY.

I told you that ? a Long time ago
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    CracceR wrote: »
    my version of the soul is basically the same as the buddhist version as far as i know, it resonates the most with me
    we are not our brain/mind/feelings, we are not our body, we are the consciousness/soul that observes our mind and body.
    and if we dont watch out we get sucked in the ego(part of the mind) and are basically fucced

When you say we can get sucked in the ego, do you mean caught up in our worldly desires?
  • CracceR
    Options

When you say we can get sucked in the ego, do you mean caught up in our worldly desires?

yep but not only that also fears etc. our ego is not our enemy tho we have to have a healthy relationship with it
    thats also what most meditation is for, to silence our mind and observe with consciousness/soul
    its also kinda hard to explain these things with words because words are just words, its good enough tho

• kingblaze84
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »

I told you that ? a Long time ago

I forgot
  • kingblaze84
    edited July 2015
    Options

yep but not only that also fears etc. our ego is not our enemy tho we have to have a healthy relationship with it
    thats also what most meditation is for, to silence our mind and observe with consciousness/soul
    its also kinda hard to explain these things with words because words are just words, its good enough tho

That makes sense, we gotta try to keep our mind clear and in a calm place as much as possible. When the mind isn't in a calm place, that's when the problems of the world start effecting us or make any existing problem worse.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everything even matter is made up of energy so energy never dies but transforms. So you more likely will have an afterlife just in a different form.
  • 507fliped
    507fliped Members Posts: 212 ✭✭
    Options
    @Ajackson17 I completely agree wit U wit what U said on energy. Our soul is just that, pure energy. N the Eastern beliefs the energy from the soul is what they call chi. Many people can c channel that energy to do more amazing things wit. Our souls is our means of existence.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    507fliped wrote: »
    @Ajackson17 I completely agree wit U wit what U said on energy. Our soul is just that, pure energy. N the Eastern beliefs the energy from the soul is what they call chi. Many people can c channel that energy to do more amazing things wit. Our souls is our means of existence.

Exactly
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anything living has energy, so yes animals in that context would have what we call a soul
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    In my opinion, the physical world is an illusion and consciousness is the only thing that exists.
  • kingblaze84
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »
    Anything living has energy, so yes animals in that context would have what we call a soul

If that's the case, we humans are pretty ? up in how we treat the animals of the world.
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options

Chi is not directly correlated to the soul in the philosophy is originates... aka daoism.

in the most simplistic way i can explain it to laymen, the Chi possessed by living human beings is divided into 2 parts. PostNatal, and PreNatal.

Post natal is the energy you derive from food, the sun, moon, earth, and practices.

prenatal is from your parents.

There are many permutations from these 2 kinds of life force, but these are the 2 most basic, found in the human body.

The term that is closest associated to the western perception of soul is called "Ling"
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Abraxas wrote: »

Chi is not directly correlated to the soul in the philosophy is originates... aka daoism.

in the most simplistic way i can explain it to laymen, the Chi possessed by living human beings is divided into 2 parts. PostNatal, and PreNatal.

Post natal is the energy you derive from food, and practices.

prenatal is from your parents.

There are many permutations from these 2 kinds of life force, but these are the 2 most basic, found in the human body.

The term that is closest associated to the western perception of soul is called "Ling"

Thank you for the clarification.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The 48 laws of power states that the soul is just our feelings of the same sex.

Thats the best truth I have ever read about the soul.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Soul? No.

Spirit? Yes.
  • Delphas
    Delphas Members Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Soul? No.

Spirit? Yes.

But you call yourself Soul Rattler...