Options
    Soul? No.

Spirit? Yes.

doesn't matter which word u use, it's the same thing
    words can't really describe ? like that anyways

• Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not sure if anyone knows this but the brain gives off the pleasure chemical DMT at death and near death....many people who suffer from near death experiences and are unconscious claim they see visions of heaven or feel pleasant feelings. It's because DMT gets released like crazy during death or near death. The chemicals keep being released but I don't know for how long.

If there is no soul or don't believe in a soul, don't worry.....you may still experience a version of heaven at death.

http://jonbarron.org/article/brain-functions-even-after-death#.VagShjZViko

that don't prove nothing. the people that do these studies never died or had nde's so how would they know?
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Not sure if anyone knows this but the brain gives off the pleasure chemical DMT at death and near death....many people who suffer from near death experiences and are unconscious claim they see visions of heaven or feel pleasant feelings. It's because DMT gets released like crazy during death or near death. The chemicals keep being released but I don't know for how long.

If there is no soul or don't believe in a soul, don't worry.....you may still experience a version of heaven at death.

http://jonbarron.org/article/brain-functions-even-after-death#.VagShjZViko

that don't prove nothing. the people that do these studies never died or had nde's so how would they know?

It doesn't prove anything concrete, I'll admit that. But the brain is a little active after death and while the body is near death, the chemicals DMT are often released. So technically, it is possible for someone to experience some form of pleasure or pleasurable thoughts (in the brain) at death for maybe a few minutes or so. The body can be declared dead if there is zero heart rate but brain functions can outlast the heart at death

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=98447

Study: Brains Function in Clinically Dead

• Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The soul is the energy in you that allows you to move. It is the life in you. It is you on a metaphysical level, and your flesh and what you do is the physical manifestation of it. "As above, so below." So when your flesh gets too old and decays to naught, the soul is what is left. Just as science says "Energy is neither created nor destroyed", this is the soul. In religious texts, it is looked as the "essence of ? ", that which was never created nor destroyed, but always was and will be. As it is written in holy texts, "heaven (the abode of ? ) is WITHIN you" and also it is written, "I have said, ye are gods". These days they (the powers that rule in the physical, mostly using metaphysical/spiritual means) have separated science from spirituality/religion to dumb the people down. And divide the people when they are talking about the same thing, thus not allowing them to build and create with each other, but causing them to fight and destroy each other.

Of course though, we cannot see the metaphysical (spirit realm) with physical eyes, only the result/manifestation of it. This is the idea of the "third eye", I.e. faith. As it is written in holy texts, faith is the substance of things not seen. Faith is believing something that you cannot see. Like faith that one day you'll get that job.

Therefore, the soul and the future of it totally depends on faith, i.e. what you truly believe will happen. Because what you believe is indeed true for your life. Don't get it twisted though, you cannot fool the soul as it is bound by the logic (from the word Logos, look it up) that it understands (understand, stand under, i.e. involuntarily worships, or is subject to). If one does harmful acts to others, and believe he/she must do so in order to live, then they agree subconsciously that one day they will be destroyed merely because they know/believe in their mind that others must do the same to survive, i.e. dog eat dog world. Therefore logically, they must live in a state of fear (whether it is GREAT fear or not so great fear), knowing that other beings must have the exact same sentiment.

The dog-eat-dog world mentality aka survival of the fittest is an animalistic, fleshly way of living. The flesh (the physical) can and will be destroyed as history has always proved. Whether it is something made by hands, or a physical person/animal. So if the soul (the higher self) descends to the way of living according to the flesh (the lower self), it throw its own self into... well... a perpetual state of destruction. As it cannot be destroyed, only be in a state of being destroyed. There are several different ways of saying this, the most common and understood way is the ancient Hebrew idea of "hell". It is a perpetual state of fear and anguish. As it is written so eloquently is holy texts, there is "weeping and gnashing of teeth".

Which of course, shows that there is an alternative way to live. As oppose to allow the soul (the higher self) descend to the the way of the flesh (the lower self), one could choose the opposite. If the soul never dies, then what happens when ones flesh chooses to follow the way of the soul?

edit: This leads me to believe that choice/"personal judgement" or one's LAW or CODE they choose to live by is the higher self, and the physical manifestation of this aka one's actions/reactions/"works"/is the flesh. Which now begs the question, what law results if perfect peace?

This leads us to see that the law of the spirit/metaphysical is the way of the higher/quicker (LOL, MUCH quicker) self and the law of physics is the way of the lower/slower self. Now what is the law of the spirit then? Here I digress as this is where one makes the decision on their faith as there are many systems of law which they call "religions". And as we have seen over the course of history, this is when people get in their feelings, straying from using logic and reasoning.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I might define the soul as the doer or the observer or the enjoyer. Or maybe it is the "I". I actually haven't the foggiest idea, it's something I wonder about often tho.
  • And_So_It_Burns
    And_So_It_Burns Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Souls, like any supernatural entity, has never been shown to exist. In antiquity, the soul was thought to be the essence of an individual's personality. But we know the brain is responsible for this trait. All afterlife claims come from an innate fear humans have of death. It will remain with us for the existence of our species.
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Souls, like any supernatural entity, has never been shown to exist. In antiquity, the soul was thought to be the essence of an individual's personality. But we know the brain is responsible for this trait. All afterlife claims come from an innate fear humans have of death. It will remain with us for the existence of our species.

It's extremely easy to parrot the opinion of a scientific community that's nascent, is entirely focused on the 5 senses, and that derives all of said theory from perception of the extremely small bandwidth of the electromagnetic spectrum that our body provides inherently.

It takes whole nother level of discipline to actually experience the principles of the spiritual sciences that have existed since the dawn of mankind, to see if there is any truth to them.

I can say from almost a decade of practice and experience, that you don't know what you're talking about.

Respectfully.
  • Melqart
    Options
  • And_So_It_Burns
    Options
    Abraxas wrote: »

It's extremely easy to parrot the opinion of a scientific community that's nascent, is entirely focused on the 5 senses, and that derives all of said theory from perception of the extremely small bandwidth of the electromagnetic spectrum that our body provides inherently.

It's extremely easy to parrot the opinion of the scientific community the when the alternative produces no observable, falsifiable or objective evidence. If they did, they would be Nobel prize winners. It's no reason to think there's anything that lies out of our 5 senses. How do you know there is? What knowledge to you have access to that everyone else doesn't?
    It takes whole nother level of discipline to actually experience the principles of the spiritual sciences that have existed since the dawn of mankind, to see if there is any truth to them.

It doesn't take discipline to believe as you do, it only takes naiveté and blind faith.
    I can say from almost a decade of practice and experience, that you don't know what you're talking about.

Respectfully.

It's fine that you don't agree with my point of view. I like hearing other's opinions on the supernatural but what did I say in my last comment that was wrong?
  • Melqart
    edited August 2015
    Options

It's extremely easy to parrot the opinion of the scientific community the when the alternative produces no observable, falsifiable or objective evidence. If they did, they would be Nobel prize winners. It's no reason to think there's anything that lies out of our 5 senses. How do you know there is? What knowledge to you have access to that everyone else doesn't?

It doesn't take discipline to believe as you do, it only takes naiveté and blind faith.

Respectfully.

It's fine that you don't agree with my point of view. I like hearing other's opinions on the supernatural but what did I say in my last comment that was wrong?

perhaps my last reply was a bit brash on the edges, but I stand by what I said.

I have had the merit to learn from lineages of practical spirituality that have been passed down from teacher to student in an unbroken chain for the past few thousands of years, that have arisen independently of each other.

of said lineages, they require many years of meditation and other practices to experience their aforementioned theological paradigms tangibly.

I could post scientifically reviewed evidence of the results, but you seem set in your ways, diametrically opposed to mine, which is fine. but I do know that no amount of evidence appeases people like yourself so I wont bother.

what I will say is that there have been a few posters on this forum that have reached out, in search of experience... and having been pointed the way to said practices, with the beginning results already having manifested for them.

with this i bid ye adieu.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    527946_336086956474003_1450894590_n.jpeg

That's a great quote. A shame science can't reach or learn about everything non physical yet, the brain's functions are a perfect example. How can a mound of flesh hold ideas and memories that last for decades and the electrons that move throughout it be operated all day, without us being plugged into the ground like a laptop outlet? There's a powerful force, not saying it's ? but just a genuine force, that is unseen that helps things work and move about. Science has yet to capture all of the amazing things that are unseen, hopefully one day it can....
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Where is the mind? Nobody knows!!! It's like... a supernatural entity! or imaginations of the imagination... hmmmm
  • And_So_It_Burns
    Options

How can a mound of flesh hold ideas and memories that last for decades and the electrons that move throughout it be operated all day, without us being plugged into the ground like a laptop outlet? There's a powerful force, not saying it's ? but just a genuine force, that is unseen that helps things work and move about. Science has yet to capture all of the amazing things that are unseen, hopefully one day it can....

Please, research neuroscience. We have a great explanation for these things.
  • And_So_It_Burns
    Options

perhaps my last reply was a bit brash on the edges, but I stand by what I said.

I have had the merit to learn from lineages of practical spirituality that have been passed down from teacher to student in an unbroken chain for the past few thousands of years, that have arisen independently of each other.

of said lineages, they require many years of meditation and other practices to experience their aforementioned theological paradigms tangibly.

I could post scientifically reviewed evidence of the results, but you seem set in your ways, diametrically opposed to mine, which is fine. but I do know that no amount of evidence appeases people like yourself so I wont bother.

what I will say is that there have been a few posters on this forum that have reached out, in search of experience... and having been pointed the way to said practices, with the beginning results already having manifested for them.

with this i bid ye adieu.

I just think it's odd you have access to peer reviewed evidence that hasn't received an absurd amount of publicity. If you think it's cohesive and can withstand critique, post it,
  • BlakkNinja
    BlakkNinja Members Posts: 7
    Options
    To me, the concept of having a soul is a conscious and sub-conscious state of being. Being happy, angry, sad and etc. Having connections to people, places and things. These are examples of a conscious state. Sub-conscious are more based on thought and actions that tend to come and go at times without warning.
  • peterjageagle
    peterjageagle Members Posts: 103 ✭✭
    Options
    hey how do i make a new thread have yall ever heard of yash qaraah
  • Melqart
    Options
    hey how do i make a new thread have yall ever heard of yash qaraah

I'm on mobile so I can't tell how many posts u need but u gotta have 300.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    let me just come in to add that.....
    we limit ourselves by what we think we understand within the limits we place on ourselves to understand
  • imgoingtoheavenru?
    imgoingtoheavenru? Members Posts: 291 ✭✭
    Options
    We are a triune being just like ? . We are made up of:

Body
    Soul
    Spirit

The soul is our mind, will, and emotions.

The scripture reference which illustrates this division is this:

"Now may the ? of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 5:23

The spirit must be born again through the new birth! Once the spirit is born again, the soul can be renewed daily by feeding the mind of Christ which is given to all who believe with the studying of His word, and in turn the body will react differently, walk differently, and speak differently!

Thus you will know the disciples of Jesus Christ by the fruit they bear! A bad tree will not produce good fruit, neither will a good tree produce bad fruit! A true born again believer will act differently, talk differently, respond differently, think differently, and listen differently!

You must be born again! For without the new birth you will never be able to see the kingdom of ? , thus you can never seek first the kingdom of ? and His righteousness because you want nothing to do with it as a dead person walking!

Therefore I plead with you, be reconciled to Christ, who wants to give you the kingdom and build you up! For it is the Fathers good pleasure to give you the kingdom and set you upon a rock in high places in the heavens! Will you come to Him today though? That is the question!
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Our spirit comes from ? which was breathed into the dirt of this earth to create physical life. So when a spirit tries to outsmart a massive spirit bigger than space, the planets and the heavens itself in which we come from, it's hysterical and impossible so the meek usually gain more wisdom because their cup is never full with their own knowledge of pride to block out the neverending wisdom that pours in.
  • papipeligro
    papipeligro Members Posts: 6
    Options
    Soul started out in mans first religion and the religion of our slave ancestors in Animism. Its the belief all living things have a soul. Now through the need to peg certain objects with more reverence came animal gods and people tried to make the greatest ? which turned into monotheism. Is there a soul? Science says energy never dies. What makes you you is your brain and it made up of energy. If you die that energy transforms into the plants and begins the circle of life anew. So does your memory get retained in that energy,
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Soul started out in mans first religion and the religion of our slave ancestors in Animism. Its the belief all living things have a soul. Now through the need to peg certain objects with more reverence came animal gods and people tried to make the greatest ? which turned into monotheism. Is there a soul? Science says energy never dies. What makes you you is your brain and it made up of energy. If you die that energy transforms into the plants and begins the circle of life anew. So does your memory get retained in that energy,

That is a very good question, we know now that dna is passed through dna and through the children. Funny, how assassin's creed uses this information and goes beyond it. So I'm guessing it will have to be invoked by you.
  • papipeligro
    papipeligro Members Posts: 6
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »

That is a very good question, we know now that dna is passed through dna and through the children. Funny, how assassin's creed uses this information and goes beyond it. So I'm guessing it will have to be invoked by you.

LOL. I never played assassins creed but Anamism where the idea of a soul comes from was the original religion of all the world. Africa,Europe,Asia, and even Ancient North America and South America shared the same religion. The belief in spirits in All things. At some point they started to find spirits in the stars. That changed entire belief system. Even then that religious belief of Astrology was carried through out the world. The Bible was victim of Middle Eastern belief. The bible Believes that ones soul is captured in the blood. This idea is based on the fact that the heart is the seat of the body. The heart being the seat of the body was a huge debate between Greek and Mid Eastern Philosophers. Most of the time the Middle Eastern philosophers got it right. On this one they were wrong.Greek Philosophers were correct. We all know that you can replace the heart and blood of a person and they will still be the same person. The blood of someone was sacred in the bible because their soul was in it. Which is why you ate the blood of your enemies or ate the blood of a tiger to consumer their soul within your's. The bible doesn't have the answer on the subject because it doesn't know where the seat of the soul lies if a soul exists. The Vatican suppressed the original blood transfusions back in 1670 based on the belief the soul was in the blood. Religions originally fought blood transfusions and heart transplants based on Genesis 9:4 and Leviticus 17:10-14. < We all know that that idea is wrong.