Shannara Chronicles

The Lonious Monk
The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crjkQHnDYu0

Any high fantasy fans out there? The Shannara books are pretty good. I guess you could classify them as less pretentious LotR stories. MTV is making series based on the world of the books. It should be pretty dope.

On another note, they should change MTV to EBMTV (Everything But Music Television).

Comments

• Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look like some final fantasy ?
  • Tymoney19
    Tymoney19 Members Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Black people don't exist In fantasy smh
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    That actually looks decent for something on MTV. It does remind me more of Final Fantasy than LoTR.
    Tymoney19 wrote: »

In High Fantasy stories no, but in low or dark fantasy sword and sorcery tales there are more. Conan the Barbarian(REH was progressive for his day for being a texan in the 30's and describing black people as something other than blubber lipped apes like most white people did. He also did that sometimes in tales set during the modern era don't get me wrong, but he actual gave people of color their own kingdoms and power), Kull, Game of Thrones of course, and several others. There was this sword and sorcery book that I saw some months back and the main character was actually black with a white woman wrapped around his leg. You just gotta look for it. But in High Fantasy ? , rarely is there any black people, or colored people that aren't ? Arabs.
  • The Lonious Monk
    reapin505 wrote: »
    That actually looks decent for something on MTV. It does remind me more of Final Fantasy than LoTR.

In High Fantasy stories no, but in low or dark fantasy sword and sorcery tales there are more. Conan the Barbarian(REH was progressive for his day for being a texan in the 30's and describing black people as something other than blubber lipped apes like most white people did. He also did that sometimes in tales set during the modern era don't get me wrong, but he actual gave people of color their own kingdoms and power), Kull, Game of Thrones of course, and several others. There was this sword and sorcery book that I saw some months back and the main character was actually black with a white woman wrapped around his leg. You just gotta look for it. But in High Fantasy ? , rarely is there any black people, or colored people that aren't ? Arabs.

It's because most High Fantasy is based on European history and mythology. That said, it's not like the Shannara books go out of their way to depict everyone as white, so it's not like they can't include other races in the show.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Anybody watching this? I missed the premiere, but I'm going to catch it on OnDemand.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to check it out. Looks cool. John Favreau involved too. Or however you spell it. Only thing stopping me is its an MTV show lol.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    I want to check it out. Looks cool. John Favreau involved too. Or however you spell it. Only thing stopping me is its an MTV show lol.

Yeah, I feel you on that. Real talk, I haven't watched MTV or BET since the 90s.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watched it last night. Honestly, it looks promising. Thought the 1st episode was good. Got the series recorded.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    I need my elves to have british accents. This ? looks like a funny or die skit or something.

Also... there will be black people in the future. We will be here forever so they need to get off that ? .
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you get past it being on MTV and everybody being all pretty and ? its kinda tough. I'm ? with it for the season. See where it goes.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll watch it before I go to bed tonight.
  • The Lonious Monk
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    I need my elves to have british accents. This ? looks like a funny or die skit or something.

Also... there will be black people in the future. We will be here forever so they need to get off that ? .

There were some black people in the audience so they acknowledge our existence. lol And there was the one black chick they kept showing. They didn't identify her, but they zoomed in on her way too much for her not to be someone of note.

The crazy thing is that in this group of stories it's not clear that the world is a post apocalyptic future. That revelation isn't made until far later in a different set of books. That's an interesting change to make.
    Once you get past it being on MTV and everybody being all pretty and ? its kinda tough. I'm ? with it for the season. See where it goes.

Well to be fair, the elves are supposed to be all pretty and ? , so that's kinda true to form.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    these lil ? cant act they over so it with the justin bieber steamy eyes i aint feeling it so far
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    for instance the scene when shorty tells him shes gona ? him

shorty: i just touched the tree of visions i saw horrible things

generic white guy:latest?cb=20120108001808

shorty: im going to ? you

generic white guy: latest?cb=20120108001808

shorty: i have to leave

generic white guy:

latest?cb=20120108001808

im like ? really you cant change your ? expressions at all i mean dam yall playing elves without the British ascent ? made it easy for you and you still ? up

no wonder they didnt give a ? about casting you because they offed you in the 1st ep
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That lil rover chick eretria that robbed dude would might get that ebrc.
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    checked this out over the weekend...i liked it..

^^smh same thing i was thinking.. watched the first 5 episodes. think i saw a total of 3 blacks in the background and the only one that got any lines
  • JusDre313
    anybody esle check this out?
  • The Lonious Monk
    I've been watching it regularly, but it's meh at best. They've drifted from the source material in order, I guess, to make it appeal more to that teen demographic. None of this love triangle ? was in there and the main story moved a lot faster. The pacing on the show is all screwed up because they're adding in a bunch of unnecessary drama.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    JusDre313 wrote: »

^^smh same thing i was thinking.. watched the first 5 episodes. think i saw a total of 3 blacks in the background and the only one that got any lines

The black chick head of that army tho.

Like King ssid, once you get past the fact it's on MTV, s*** gets real. Bodies being caught like it's nothin.
  • JusDre313

Like King ssid, once you get past the fact it's on MTV, s*** gets real. Bodies being caught like it's nothin.

yeah and she was the one that got the lines.. smh I aint tryna be one of those cats, but i find it harder and harder to watch shows that dont have any people of color in it.. i aint talking about it having to be black folks, but this 99% cracka universe hollywood portrays gets tiresome...

but anyway I agree, the show is kinda dope.. had a coworker tell me check it out. definitely wasn't disappointed

• Recaptimus_Prime360

yeah and she was the one that got the lines.. smh I aint tryna be one of those cats, but i find it harder and harder to watch shows that dont have any people of color in it.. i aint talking about it having to be black folks, but this 99% cracka universe hollywood portrays gets tiresome...

but anyway I agree, the show is kinda dope.. had a coworker tell me check it out. definitely wasn't disappointed

I feel ya bruh. I find myself complaining more about it now, than b4.