The NFL's "Rooney" Rule: 12 Years Later, Is It Working?

Options
esco soprano
esco soprano Members Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
The NFL instituted the "Rooney" Rule in 2003 in an effort to diversify the ranks of its franchises and provide opportunities for ALL minorities. 12 years later, can the mandate be deemed a success?

I'm writing a paper on this and thought I'd drop this in here for some feedback. This is not intended to be inflammatory, but feel free to vent if necessary. It is for purely academic purposes. Thanks for taking a second to answer the one question survey. If you're not comfortable w/the SurveyMonkey link hit the poll please. Thanks.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/?sm=T7yaPakESQhpUFF8oCzje98Nqb4/Dt6y/ZxuGZvzN5o=

Comments

• esco soprano
    Options
    Used to be able to make polls....no idea where that option went.
  • matt2
    matt2 Members Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looks like there were 2 minority coaches prior to the rule, and there are now 6. It's hard to say if that increase has anything to do with the rule.

I think that it's good in theory but it's probably abused more than it is actually used for its intended purposes.

Interviewing minority coaches, with no intent of hiring them, just to be in compliance with the rule proves that much of it is for show. The league comes out looking good becaus they appear to be promoting diversity even if there are no measurable benefits to the rule.

If nothing else, these coaches get interview experience, but I don't think that outweighs the token mentality that the rule puts coaches through. And it also isn't fair to teams or minority coaches who have to be interviewed even if a team already knows who they will hire as the head coach
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this might help

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000477012/article/increase-in-minority-decisionmakers-a-positive-step-for-nfl

however most of these teams already decided on who their their next head coach/GM are. it'll be nice to know how many decisions have been swayed due to the Rooney Rule forcing these teams to interview minority candidates
  • esco soprano
    Options
    Thank you both for your feedback. I have read that story @Already Home_17 good look. I'm writing a 22 page paper on it for class (not my choice for the length lol) and my thesis is that the ? is not working for the reason that you mentioned @matt2 It is a dog and pony show with most of the teams simply interviewing minority candidates as an afterthought if that.

Anyone doubt this? Look at the 2013 offseason where there were 15 head coaching and general manager vacancies and ZERO minority hires. So there's plenty of work to be done. Thanks for weighing in on the topic. Here's a link to one of dozens of stories on the 2013 offseason. I think I've googled every variation of Rooney Rule and NFL now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000133754/article/roger-goodell-minority-hiring-rate-not-acceptable
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    matt2 wrote: »
    Looks like there were 2 minority coaches prior to the rule, and there are now 6. It's hard to say if that increase has anything to do with the rule.

I think that it's good in theory but it's probably abused more than it is actually used for its intended purposes.

Interviewing minority coaches, with no intent of hiring them, just to be in compliance with the rule proves that much of it is for show. The league comes out looking good becaus they appear to be promoting diversity even if there are no measurable benefits to the rule.

If nothing else, these coaches get interview experience, but I don't think that outweighs the token mentality that the rule puts coaches through. And it also isn't fair to teams or minority coaches who have to be interviewed even if a team already knows who they will hire as the head coach

silence you white palefaced cracka cavebitch devil mayonnaise eater
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No and its a stupid rule considering its insulting

A handout w/o the handout
  • esco soprano
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »
    No and its a stupid rule considering its insulting

A handout w/o the handout

Fair point...what's the point of a flimsy rule with a loophole you can easily drive a truck through? And then on top of that, it's not even enforced. I can't think of one scenario when a team was disciplined for failing to follow the rules.