Fair or Foul Colin Cowherd Kicked Off ESPN for this:

Options
MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in From the Cheap Seats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_M7xsfVeAQ

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/13311873/colin-cowherd-addresses-air-remarks-made-dominican-republic

Major League Baseball on Friday said ESPN Radio host Colin Cowherd owes Dominican players an apology for on-air remarks made a day earlier concerning Dominicans and their intelligence related to baseball.

In a statement, MLB said it "condemns the remarks made by Colin Cowherd, which were inappropriate, offensive and completely inconsistent with the values of our game" and that he "owes our players of Dominican origin, and Dominican people generally, an apology."

On Friday, Cowherd addressed his remarks from Thursday.

"I could've made the point without using one country, and there's all sorts of smart people from the Dominican Republic," Cowherd said during The Herd on Friday. "I could've said a third of baseball's talent is being furnished from countries with economic hardships, therefore educational hurdles. For the record, I used the Dominican Republic because they've furnished baseball with so many great players."

Major League Baseball issued its statement on Friday afternoon -- after Cowherd's show had aired.

Cowherd on Friday cited reports and statistics to back up what he said about the country's ranking when it comes to primary education.

"I understand that when you mention a specific country, they get offended," Cowherd said. "I get it. I do. And for that, I feel bad. I do. But I have four reports in front of me ... where there are discussions of major deficiencies in the education sector at all levels. ... It wasn't a shot at them. It was data. Five, seven years ago I talked about the same subject. Was I clunky? Perhaps. Did people not like my tone? I get it. Sometimes my tone stinks.

"I think when you host a radio show, just like Jon Stewart hosts a show, I think sometimes I bring up stuff ... that makes people cringe. I'm not saying there's not intelligent, educated people from the Dominican Republic. I cringe at the data, too."

Tony Clark, executive director of the MLB Players Association, also issued a statement in which he took issue with Cowherd's response Friday to his original comments.

"As a veteran of 15 MLB seasons, I can assure you that our sport is infinitely more complex than some in the media would have you believe," Clark said. "To suggest otherwise is ignorant, and to make an ignorant point by denigrating the intelligence of our Dominican members was not 'clunky' -- it was offensive.

"These recent comments are particularly disappointing when viewed against the backdrop of the important work being done to celebrate and improve the cultural diversity of our game. Baseball's partners and stakeholders should help such efforts, not undermine them."

There were 83 Dominican players on Opening Day rosters this year, representing about 10 percent of all players in the majors.

The flap stems from Cowherd's comments on Thursday, which were made while debating whether it was difficult for a front-office executive to take over managerial duties -- using current Miami Marlins general manager/manager Dan Jennings as an example.

"It's baseball," Cowherd said Thursday. "You don't think a general manager can manage? Like it's impossible? The game is too complex? I've never bought into that, 'Baseball's just too complex.' Really? A third of the sport is from the Dominican Republic. The Dominican Republic has not been known in my lifetime as having world-class academic abilities. A lot of those kids come from rough backgrounds and have not had opportunities academically that other kids from other countries have.

"Baseball is like any sport. It's mostly instincts. A sports writer who covers baseball could go up to Tony La Russa and have a real baseball argument, and Tony would listen and it would seem reasonable. There's not a single NFL writer in the country who could diagram a play for Bill Belichick. You know, we get caught up in this whole 'thinking-man's game.' Is it in the same family? Most people could do it. It's not being a concert pianist. It's in the same family."

Cowherd's comments drew the attention of Toronto Blue Jays slugger Jose Bautista, a native of the Dominican Republic who asked Cowherd via Twitter for further clarification concerning his remarks on Thursday.

Fair or Foul Colin Cowherd Kicked Off ESPN for this: 26 votes

Fair (His comments were 100% offensive
50%
babyface killaSwiffness!nujerz84Chi-Town BullyShizlanskymosincredibleAristo_V300(Nope)TrillfateYoung StefThatPigskinGuy0079TRAYmikelewis2 13 votes
Foul (His comments were not well placed but people are sensitive)
50%
gucci7383joeyfkncrakkesco sopranounspoken_respectWill MunnyStoneColdMikeyDillaDeafMeekMonizzLLLLLLe14Inglewood_BLUClENmanofmorehouseSolitary Soldiernatural born sinners 13 votes

Comments

• matt2
    matt2 Members Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "I quit"

"you can't quit..you're fired" soundin ass scenario
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    ? was intolerant as ? and just ousted himself as a typical white
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dude disrespected a whole damn group of people and called them all stupid. If he said the ? about African Americans y'all would be out for blood
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eh, his last week was next week anyway. Good luck fox sports, dealing with this
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    ? was intolerant as ? and just ousted himself as a typical white

Lol yet you clicked on the "Foul" option that he got let go early.
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    But ain't ppl from the DR racist towards black and don't even claim their African heritage?

This is true for many of them...especially towards Haitians.
    Fk them.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    the thing is this video was edited i cant find the full one on youtube. his point was about not just at dominicans abut also at americans who play the game. he made a point how 4% of the mlb has a college degree including managers. there are more ? in the NBA with college degrees and that go back to finish.

But the nba is a bunch of thugs and old white men call baseball americas pastime. While the game is hard to put up good numbers. the strategy is not excatly rocket science. Which was colins point. Not to mention the country its self doesn't put much value in letting those who are poor be educated. which is on purpose so people stay in poverty while the rich there get richer. And ? them racist ass dominicans trying to kick hatians and blacks out the country and put em back in haiti.
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dominicans have the reputation of king ? on here, so sympathy won't be seen much.
  • matt2
    matt2 Members Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    the thing is this video was edited i cant find the full one on youtube. his point was about not just at dominicans abut also at americans who play the game. he made a point how 4% of the mlb has a college degree including managers. there are more ? in the NBA with college degrees and that go back to finish.

But the nba is a bunch of thugs and old white men call baseball americas pastime. While the game is hard to put up good numbers. the strategy is not excatly rocket science. Which was colins point. Not to mention the country its self doesn't put much value in letting those who are poor be educated. which is on purpose so people stay in poverty while the rich there get richer. And ? them racist ass dominicans trying to kick hatians and blacks out the country and put em back in haiti.

He and others in the media make a living off of sound biting folks. I got no problem with it coming back to bite him
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dude disrespected a whole damn group of people and called them all stupid. If he said the ? about African Americans y'all would be out for blood

Idagaf.... blacks are not entitled to feel for other groups. The same manner, other groups dont feel for blks.
    N didnt Dominicans kick a whole group of ppl out the d.r?
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Cowherd already let dat mask slip when he tripped over John Wall doing the Dougie. ? him. Never understood his popularity around here.

Yes, Dominicans hate Haitians and have this bizarre anti-black complex. It goes back to the French owning the Western part of the island and the Spaniards owning the East. Different cultures, different languages, different racial demographics. Haiti even conquered the Dominicans for two decades and it only deepened the differences. This phenomenon has a name ("Antihaitianismo") and resulted in outright genocide in the 1930s.

None of this changes the sheer unbridled crackerness of what Cowherd said tho. Of all the things he could have cited to demonstrate his point, he defaulted to the first non-white source of ballplayers that he could think of.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No real issue based off op but don't expect me to feel for a cac
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    Cowherd already let dat mask slip when he tripped over John Wall doing the Dougie. ? him. Never understood his popularity around here.

Yes, Dominicans hate Haitians and have this bizarre anti-black complex. It goes back to the French owning the Western part of the island and the Spaniards owning the East. Different cultures, different languages, different racial demographics. Haiti even conquered the Dominicans for two decades and it only deepened the differences. This phenomenon has a name ("Antihaitianismo") and resulted in outright genocide in the 1930s.

None of this changes the sheer unbridled crackerness of what Cowherd said tho. Of all the things he could have cited to demonstrate his point, he defaulted to the first non-white source of ballplayers that he could think of.

not sure why ? catch feelings over that. hes said time and time again he wasn't a fan of walls immaturity at that time. he also said he would rather start a team with a chris paul type pg over a wall which most people would. colin also never denied the talent of wall he just questioned his maturity and actual choices in situation on the court.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I see why Fox sports hired him now.. He's views are perfectly right in line with their parent company News Corp.. I won't be surprised if Faux News decides to give him.. A weekly segment on their network to help promote that trash ass sports network & his radio show on fox sports radio...
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    I see why Fox sports hired him now.. He's views are perfectly right in line with their parent company News Corp.. I won't be surprised if Faux News decides to give him.. A weekly segment on their network to help promote that trash ass sports network & his radio show on fox sports radio...

everyone who is a conservative and lives in the south hates colin tho. everyone in comments and on emails calls him a liberal. dude has defended the nba and pointed out racial biases of white callers. If anything hes usually the opposite of anything on fox news.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    I say fair based on something Cowherd said himself...when you specifically mention 1 country it ? your whole point up and allows for ? to be included in your argument you never intended. He ? up in his wording and admits he did.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    He's been on that ? peep his comments during the Sterling fiasco last year.
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I misclick --- I meant to click on fair.
    Cowherd ? up big time by insulting an country.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He likes to play both sides of the fence.... He rode for the NBA black players ie Indiana Pacer fans not supporting their team cuz it was too black but he then says insensitive ? like this or in the Sterling situation. I get his point but he worded it in his character instead of breaking it down right.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options

the bigger issue this should have segued into is why do fans and the media try to knock NBA players for leaving early and 4% of baseball players and managers have a college degree and they get no heat?
  • esco soprano
    esco soprano Members Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    But ain't ppl from the DR racist towards black and don't even claim their African heritage?

That's pretty much the case. They are ostracizing Haitians and driving them out as well...even if they were born in the DR.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    "Sean Taylor, great player has a history of really really bad judgment, really really bad judgment. Cops, assault, spitting, DUI. I’m supposed to believe his judgment got significantly better in two years, from horrible to fantastic? 'But Colin, he cleaned up his act.' Well yeah, just because you clean the rug doesn’t mean you got everything out. Sometimes you’ve got stains, stuff so deep it never ever leaves.

No, all the information’s not in [on whether Taylor’s murder was random]. But I feel pretty confident that my gut feeling, like any of yours, by the way, is right and was right."

"But the ? part of the narrative, as Doyel points out, is 'oh, black players are getting harsher sentences.' Here’s something that’s interesting if you look at basic metrics or numbers in this country. Seventy-one percent of African-American men, no dad at home. No disciplinarian. Fathers are often the louder voice, the disciplinarian. Many of those kids don’t grow up with a dad, raised by moms, sister, aunt, nieces, uncles, whatever. They go to college where they’re stars, and basically even their college coaches, as we saw with Ohio State, pretty much let the stars run the program.

The NFL is one of the first places where many star places finally see discipline. Finally have an authoritative male figure
    [that says] 'Buck stops here, I will make all the calls, you will not get an opinion.'"

http://deadspin.com/remember-all-those-other-times-colin-cowherd-said-racis-1720163539

So according to Cowherd, Sean Taylor brought it on himself and Roger Goodell is the father these ghetto ? in the NFL never had?

Mannnn, if Jason Whitlock said that ? would be trippin but this cac gets a pass hanh...............
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He didnt get fired for this
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    coop9889 wrote: »
    He didnt get fired for this
    Well, technically he did. He was already on the way out, but ESPN cut his stint about a week short.