The 25 Best Black Sitcoms Of All Time

Options
13»

Comments

• BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ Black shows having the GOAT theme songs...
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    BenjaminE wrote: »

South Central, Soul Food, Family Matters and maybe Good Times had my favorite black sitcom theme music. Soul Food wasn't really a sitcom, though.

In general I like the opening music for Boston Public, Jeremiah, Animorphs, Buffy/Angel, Oz, Smallville, The 4400, Terra Nova, Roswell, The Star Trek series (except maybe the original), 7th Heaven seasons 1/2, Boy Meets World seasons 5-7, Touched By An Angel, the ending music for The Wire, Once Upon A Time, The Sarah Connor chronicles etc.
  • BenjaminE
    Options
    Ubuntu1 wrote: »
    BenjaminE wrote: »

South Central, Soul Food, Family Matters and maybe Good Times had my favorite black sitcom theme music. Soul Food wasn't really a sitcom, though.

In general I like the opening music for Boston Public, Jeremiah, Animorphs, Buffy/Angel, Oz, Smallville, The 4400, Terra Nova, Roswell, The Star Trek series (except maybe the original), 7th Heaven seasons 1/2, Boy Meets World seasons 5-7, Touched By An Angel, the ending music for The Wire, Once Upon A Time, The Sarah Connor chronicles etc.

I liked the Wayan's Bros. original theme...

"Give me a high five!" Going into Electric Relaxation>>>>

And the openings for A Different World were GOAT too...
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    marc123 wrote: »
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    The Wayne Brothers being higher that Jamie Foxx and Family Matters almost makes this list invalid.

Wayans Bros >>> Jamie Foxx Show

They are both good shows imo.

But on re watches, Wayans tends to be a better watch. It aged better imo.

But that Mark Curry driving school ep was funny af.

Jamie Foxx really fell of when he started working at the jingle company.

Man that ? have me in stitches no matter how many times I see it. And on "Malcolm & Eddie" when Eddie was doing Prince is another funny one to me too
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lmao @ home improvement...

And damn my wife and kids ain't there that's top 15
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i didnt even kno blk ppl watched home improvement. *shrugs*
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I watched Home Improvement coming up. Wasnt a favorite tho. My favorite part was the big tittied ? that did the show with Tim & Al

I always wanted a bedroom like the kids had on there all customized & ? .
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wtf
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wasnt it on TGIF?

I watched most all them shows
  • BenjaminE
    Options
    Home Improvement had Dave Chappelle and Jim Bruer on there before Half Baked was a thing, so it gets points for that...
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »
    Three of those shows are getting removed and replaced with Smart Guy, In the house, and The parent hood.

Exchange smart guy with my wife and kids and then cosign.
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would put Martin ahead of A Different World
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Surprised Family Matters is that low
  • illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Man the last couple seasons of family matters was cringe worthy. I think ? forgot. Laura spent that entire show up until the last season disgusted by urkel. She was only ? with Stefan. Then she all in love with Steve and can't decide? FOH.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    not a bad list at all
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Man the last couple seasons of family matters was cringe worthy. I think ? forgot. Laura spent that entire show up until the last season disgusted by urkel. She was only ? with Stefan. Then she all in love with Steve and can't decide? FOH.

I liked Family Matters at the end, a lot more than I liked it at the beginning. I liked seeing them all grown up and how much things changed, plus Steve's inventions (time traveling, Stefan, that transportation pad,) and adding 3J to the show. If I re-watched the series I'd probably skip the early episodes. Fresh Prince was worse in the beginning, too.

I haven't watched a 30 minute sitcom in years, though.

I'd add Diff'rent Strokes to my list if that counts but I never saw the later seasons. I can't remember where I left off but it got less interesting at one point.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Didn't she make her decision in front of Disney World or something cheesy like that lol
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »
    http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/02/best-black-sitcoms/

Here's the list form the article:

25. The Steve Harvey Show

24. Sister, Sister

23. Family Matters

22. What's Happening!!

21. The Jamie Foxx Show

20. Hangin' with Mr. Cooper

19. Diff'rent Strokes

18. Roc

17. The Wayans Bros.

16. Moesha

15. 227

14. The Bernie Mac Show

13. Everybody Hates Chris

12. Julia

11. Girlfriends

10. Good Times

9. Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids

8. Living Single

7. The Boondocks

6. The Jeffersons

5. Sanford and Son

4. Martin

3. A Different World

2. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

1. The Cosby Show

200_s.gif

• Blazedadon87x
    Blazedadon87x Members Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I liked Family Matters at the end, a lot more than I liked it at the beginning. I liked seeing them all grown up and how much things changed, plus Steve's inventions (time traveling, Stefan, that transportation pad,) and adding 3J to the show. If I re-watched the series I'd probably skip the early episodes. Fresh Prince was worse in the beginning, too.

I'd add Diff'rent Strokes to my list if that counts but I never saw the later seasons. I can't remember where I left off but it got less interesting at one point.

Agrees with the bolded

Family Matters got interesting around the time Judy got written out and when they added Myra to the cast.I liked the last season but it became weird that they wrote off with no explanation Greta,Rachel,Richie,the grandma,Waldo, and switch the actress that played Harriet.

Fresh Prince got much better when the Nicky was born and Will and Carlton high school became co ed.Every episode from that point was worth watching...even the episodes when Chris Rock was dress in dragged, and when Will's father showed up and left.

• So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Agrees with the bolded

Family Matters got interesting around the time Judy got written out and when they added Myra to the cast.I liked the last season but it became weird that they wrote off with no explanation Greta,Rachel,Richie,the grandma,Waldo, and switch the actress that played Harriet.

Fresh Prince got much better when the Nicky was born and Will and Carlton high school became co ed.Every episode from that point was worth watching...even the episodes when Chris Rock was dress in dragged, and when Will's father showed up and left.

Eddie was tripping, I would have wifed that with the quickness. And she came from money? ? , I would have been in the Mighty ? family for life, ? .
  • Blazedadon87x
    Blazedadon87x Members Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Speaking of black sitcoms...I just saw the series finale of The Game and that finale was garbage smh

At least they brought back Derwin and Melanie and decided to focus most of the 1 hour episode on them
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »
    Three of those shows are getting removed and replaced with Smart Guy, In the house, and The parent hood.

Exchange smart guy with my wife and kids and then cosign.

Not sure how I forgot about that one lol.

Remove Everybody hates chris, Julia and different strokes.
  • goodlookinout
    goodlookinout Members Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options