So you just got married(2-3months), and your mates parents ......

Options
2»

Comments

• GodSpeed215
    GodSpeed215 Members Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm perfectly happy with that arrangement. It means that if we get divorced, the house would then be my wife's burden not mine. I could walk away clean.

This is a great point but the fact that she doesn’t seem to have a problem with it would make me think subconsciously she doesn't think it'll work either.

The money we was saving from not paying a mortgage I would quietly be hoarding just in case.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm perfectly happy with that arrangement. It means that if we get divorced, the house would then be my wife's burden not mine. I could walk away clean.

This is a great point but the fact that she doesn’t seem to have a problem with it would make me think subconsciously she doesn't think it'll work either.

The money we was saving from not paying a mortgage I would quietly be hoarding just in case.

This is one of those scenarios that people shade with their own fears and experiences, ya know? You could just as easily say that the fact that she doesn't have a problem with it shows that she knows you'll be together forever so who gives a ? who's name the house is in.

Not saying that either is correct, just an example.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    buys a house for you two to live in but only wants the house in your mates name and your mate is ok with it that way.

now outside of the very surface answer "at least we have somewhere to live".

how would you feel?

If they're the ones paying for the house there's nothing to complain about.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    help me out..
    i dont know ? bout divorce laws but wouldnt the ? have to sell it and half the proceeds go to me anyway??

if so who cares??

That's true in community property states like Cali.

Not sure about other states though.
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I Get To ? They Daughter In A House I'm Not Paying For??? SHIIIIEEETTTT

tumblr_nd91voSZ8Z1sjbr2bo1_400.gif

200.gif

giphy.gif

• TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    help me out..
    i dont know ? bout divorce laws but wouldnt the ? have to sell it and half the proceeds go to me anyway??

if so who cares??

I'm not 100% on this, but if it was a gift to the wife it wouldn't be considered community property, thus would not be split in the divorce. That probably changes state to state though.