Micheal Brown's murderer Darren Wilson speaks again thinks police racism is a thing of the past...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in For The Grown & Sexy
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/08/10/the-cop

http://theweek.com/speedreads/569679/officer-who-killed-michael-brown-thinks-police-racism-thing-past
The officer who killed Michael Brown thinks police racism is a thing of the past

Darren Wilson, the former Ferguson, Missouri, police officer who fatally shot Michael Brown, an unarmed black man, in August 2014, believes systemic racism is a thing of the past. Wilson, who has been cleared of wrongdoing in Michael Brown's death, gave The New Yorker a rare interview in a profile published Monday:

"I am really simple in the way that I look at life. What happened to my great-grandfather is not happening to me. I can't base my actions off what happened to him. We can't fix in 30 minutes what happened 30 years ago. We have to fix what's happening now. That's my job as a police officer. I’m not going to delve into people's life-long history and figure out why they're feeling a certain way, in a certain moment." [The New Yorker]

Wilson also admitted that he hasn't read the Justice Department's report on systemic racism in the Ferguson police department because he doesn't want to "keep living in the past."

Another striking detail from The New Yorker profile: Mike McCarthy, a field-training officer who helped guide Wilson in a previous job, conceded that the escalation of Wilson's confrontation with Brown probably could have been avoided. Check out the whole profile here. Julie Kliegman

http://fusion.net/story/176612/darren-wilson-new-yorker-profile-quotes/
Based on this profile, Darren Wilson hasn’t learned much in the past year

The New Yorker has published a profile of Darren Wilson, the Ferguson, Mo., police officer who shot and killed 18-year-old Michael Brown almost exactly one year ago.

While the piece doesn’t reveal much new information about Brown’s death, the resulting protests, or the grand jury’s decision not to indict Wilson last November, it does present a portrait of a man who opts not to confront reality at every turn. Here are some quotes from the profile that demonstrate that mindset.

On whether he thinks racism, and the legacy of past racism, affects young black people in the present:

“[Older people] who experienced [overt racism in past decades], and were mistreated, have a legitimate claim,” [Wilson] told me. “Other people don’t.” I asked him if he thought that young people in North County and elsewhere used this legacy as an excuse. “I think so,” he replied.

“I am really simple in the way that I look at life,” Wilson said. “What happened to my great-grandfather is not happening to me. I can’t base my actions off what happened to him.”

On how he explained televised broadcasts of the Ferguson protests to his stepson:

“I said, ‘Well, I had to shoot somebody.’ And he goes, ‘Well, why did you shoot him? Was he a bad guy?’ I said, ‘Yeah, he was a bad guy.’”

On the kind of restaurants he and his wife go to now that he’s trying to keep a low profile:

“We try to go somewhere—how do I say this correctly?—with like-minded individuals,” [Wilson] said. “You know. Where it’s not a mixing ? .”

On whether he reflects on what kind of person Michael Brown was:

“You do realize that his parents are suing me?” [Wilson] said. “So I have to think about him.” He went on, “Do I think about who he was as a person? Not really, because it doesn’t matter at this point. Do I think he had the best upbringing? No. Not at all.”

Comments