Mike Huckabee: MLK Would Be 'Appalled' By Black Lives Matter Movement...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/huckabee-mlk-black-lives-matter
Republican presidential candidate and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee said on CNN Tuesday night that he thinks Martin Luther King Jr. would be "appalled" by the Black Lives Matter movement.

Host Wolf Blitzer asked Huckabee on CNN's "The Situation Room" if he agreed with Democrat presidential candidate Hillary Clinton's words to members of the Black Lives Matter movement that reform would come from changing laws, not hearts — a conversation that was disclosed in leaked videos.

Huckabee responded that he thought it was "more of a sin problem than a skin problem."

"When I hear people scream, 'black lives matter,' I'm thinking, 'Of course they do.' But all lives matter. It's not that any life matters more than another," Huckabee told Blitzer. "That's the whole message that Dr. King tried to present, and I think he'd be appalled by the notion that we're elevating some lives above others."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCiTdvi2wi4

tumblr_mbalteuL9J1qcjqew.gif

Comments

• iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    White.........? .............People...Love speaking for us smh.
  • Delphas
    Delphas Members Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo, can someone create a card for every time a politician or talking head (purposely) gets the concept behind Black Lives Matter wrong? Something small that can fit in a wallet or purse and you can just flash it in front of their ignorant faces. ? is way corny by now.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First MLK Jr would be appalled this ? even said his name and plus he was in a video screaming black power.

Second, I'm under Pan-African movement under The Honorable Mosiah Garvey who Dr Kings parents were both under the UNIA as well as Malcolm parents.

So you know these ? use this man's name as a way to belittle our movements.
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    we need put an indefinite moratorium on their use of MLK...
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    how the hell can a simple 3 words of "black lives matter" get interpreted as us saying "Black lives matter more than yours"? no way in hell can these people be this ? stupid

Where have you been family? Yes, they can and they clearly are. These dolts aren't even trying anymore.

• Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What's more appalling is how Blacks BELIEVE voting will change conditions in Black communities.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd love to plant a fresh slap across his face.
  • Beech Oss Neega
    Beech Oss Neega Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe they should change the name of the movement to "Black Lives Matter TOO" since these ? clearly aren't understanding wtf it's about
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whites and ? are willfully ignorant on the BLM issue.

We say black lives matter becuz police and white bigots act like they dont when taking them in a matter of seconds over non life threatening situations.

Fuckabee and his ilk will give the BLM movement more criticism than the pigs shooting unarmed citizens. They're part of the problem, not the solution
  • Beech Oss Neega
    Beech Oss Neega Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And ? this ? Huckabee...he couldn't relate to MLK or any black person on his worst day. How tf you proclaim to know what MLK would've thought about anything?
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black lives matter can do no wrong in my eyes. Anything that advances our people. ? that ain't out there puttin in work can't have no complaints.
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Alright, we're gonna imply that all this BlackLivesMatter stuff is just a buncha racist blacks pushing for inequality.

MLK wouldn't approve of inequality. No he wouldn't. Let's invoke him here for our misrepresentation of a slogan.
  • jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    What's more appalling is how Blacks BELIEVE voting will change conditions in Black communities.

Money talks, ? walks. You put money in the politicians pocket then you vote for him. But we aren't that structured as a people so our votes mean nothing.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    _Lefty wrote: »
    Black lives matter can do no wrong in my eyes. Anything that advances our people. ? that ain't out there puttin in work can't have no complaints.

What have they done for black people? Give me some examples.
  • (ob)Scene
    (ob)Scene Members Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MLK has some ? ass children because I would've come out a long time ago and told these politicians and pundits to stop bastardizing my fathes name. Epsecially in an effort to shame my own people? FOH.

And ? talking ? like this but we're trying to make sense out of running up on Bernie.
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think he would be 'appalled' but I definitely think that he would agree with him. He said in an interview once that he wasn't just fighting for black people, he cared about everyone. Something like that.

how the hell can a simple 3 words of "black lives matter" get interpreted as us saying "Black lives matter more than yours"? no way in hell can these people be this ? stupid

'BLM' doesn't address the interests of non-black people. The fact that you need to specify black lives implies that you have special consideration for black people that you don't have for everybody else. 'BLM' is an effective criticism to the attitude some people have that black lives do not matter but it doesn't work better than 'ALM' so what's your incentive in focusing on black people to the possible exclusion of everyone else? If ALM doesn't work to persuade people that all lives matter than what's BLM going to do?
    We say black lives matter becuz police and white bigots act like they dont when taking them in a matter of seconds over non life threatening situations.

Fuckabee and his ilk will give the BLM movement more criticism than the pigs shooting unarmed citizens. They're part of the problem, not the solution

Saying that they don't care about black lives is the exact same thing as saying that they don't care about all lives.

Some white people are also unjustly killed by the police (not to mention some police officers really do put their lives on the line to help other people). You know that some white and non-black people are killed by the police and you brush this off because you don't care as much. You can rationalize it on the grounds that they are in the minority but why not use a slogan that covers all of the victims and not just the majority? If Huckabee doesn't take the time to criticize police brutality and the unnecessary use of force then he's wrong for that but it doesn't detract from his point (I haven't watched the video, I don't know if I'd agree with his entire argument).
    How tf you proclaim to know what MLK would've thought about anything?

If MLK was for non-violence we can assume he was against ? . If he advocated for racial equality we can assume that he cared about all human lives equally.

@Ajackson17 I didn't know that King's parents were Garveyites. Are you sure about that?
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Any person who publicly opposes BLM is complicit in the murders of unarmed black ppl.

They see nothing wrong with the way things are
  • thefabmd2dc
    thefabmd2dc Members Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL white people think they understand MLK more than us now and have to explain his message to us.
    Mike Huckabee is a ?
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ubuntu1 wrote: »
    I don't think he would be 'appalled' but I definitely think that he would agree with him. He said in an interview once that he wasn't just fighting for black people, he cared about everyone. Something like that.

'BLM' doesn't address the interests of non-black people. The fact that you need to specify black lives implies that you have special consideration for black people that you don't have for everybody else. 'BLM' is an effective criticism to the attitude some people have that black lives do not matter but it doesn't work better than 'ALM' so what's your incentive in focusing on black people to the possible exclusion of everyone else? If ALM doesn't work to persuade people that all lives matter than what's BLM going to do?

Saying that they don't care about black lives is the exact same thing as saying that they don't care about all lives.

Some white people are also unjustly killed by the police (not to mention some police officers really do put their lives on the line to help other people). You know that some white and non-black people are killed by the police and you brush this off because you don't care as much. You can rationalize it on the grounds that they are in the minority but why not use a slogan that covers all of the victims and not just the majority? If Huckabee doesn't take the time to criticize police brutality and the unnecessary use of force then he's wrong for that but it doesn't detract from his point (I haven't watched the video, I don't know if I'd agree with his entire argument).
    How tf you proclaim to know what MLK would've thought about anything?

If MLK was for non-violence we can assume he was against ? . If he advocated for racial equality we can assume that he cared about all human lives equally.

@Ajackson17 I didn't know that King's parents were Garveyites. Are you sure about that?

Yeah check it out. They both have UNIA badged