Serena Williams responds to report on sponsorship money

Options
jono
jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in For The Grown & Sexy

Racial pay disparity exist at almost every level of American society. Trust and believe we all have to deal with it, overcome it, or allow it to eat us up from the inside out.

Serena Williams sat down to discuss the pay difference between herself and Maria Sharapova, who is white and has been dominated by Williams on the court. In fact, Williams has beat Sharapova 18 times out of 20 matches on the court.

However, Sharapova earns a significantly higher amount of money off the tennis court in the form of endorsements when compared to Williams, the #1 tennis player in the world. Sharapova is currently ranked #3 in the world behind Serena and Simona Halep, but dwarfs them in endorsement deals and earnings.

In the last year, Sharapova earned $23 million in endorsement deals, which is very impressive. However, Serena, who is clearly a much better player, earned about half of this at $12 million dollars.

Even in estimated net worth, Sharapova has the nod on Williams. Sharapova’s net worth is estimated at $195 million dollars while Serena comes in at $145 million. Again, this is nothing to sneeze at but for a woman who is HEAD AND SHOULDERS better than her opponent, the numbers seem skewed….and we know why.

However, Serena is classy as ever in her response to Sharapova ranking higher on the Forbes’s list and earning more than her despite dominating her on the court:

If they want to market someone who is white and blond, that’s their choice. I have a lot of partners who are very happy to work with me. I can’t sit here and say I should be higher on the list because I have won more. I’m happy for her, because she worked hard, too. There is enough at the table for everyone. We have to be thankful, and we also have to be positive about it so the next black person can be No. 1 on that list. Maybe it was not meant to be me. Maybe it’s meant to be the next person to be amazing, and I’m just opening the door. Zina Garrison, Althea Gibson, Arthur Ashe and Venus opened so many doors for me. I’m just opening the next door for the next person.

WELL SAID, SERENA! Well said, indeed!

It was a politically correct response from Serena but no point in her being mad, she caked up regardless and the great white hope is her ? on the court

anigif_enhanced-buzz-347-1344099534-4.gif

Comments

• jono
    Options
    An argument could be made that Sharapova appeals to the tennis audience despite not being the best player. ? dont really watch tennis amd Serena runs roughshod over that ? .
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Serena Graham da Gawdess.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    gotdamn Sharapova is 6'2
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sharapova is attractive, younger, and appeals to the European market. Endorsements have never been solely about talent.
    Serena is Jordan though and is attractive.

Not by european standards she's not
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »
    Sharapova is attractive, younger, and appeals to the European market. Endorsements have never been solely about talent.

Sharapova is wack, has been Serena's ? for forever, and ain't even attractive like that.

I can't stand these European standards the whole world embraces.

And Anna Kournikova looks better than Sharapova by a ? mile.

Sharapova ain't wack at all. Is she as good at Serena, no. But Vince Carter wasn't as good as Prime Shaq, yet got way more endorsement circa 2000. Rodman had crazy endorsements in the 90's, even though he wasn't a Top 10 player.

Maria is an attractive spokesperson who appeals to teen girls/young adult women, especially in European countries where the women tend to look more like her, that's just reality. Was Agassi better than Sampras...no, but dude had way more endorsements.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    yall are bringing up team sports. some aspects are out of the star players control
    these are one on one match ups and Serena has dominated the broad
    yet Maria's endorsements doubles Serena's? that ? doesnt even make sense and yall know it

Serena might be worth more
    but in any source of income, I'll be damned if I'm being paid less than anybody I'm clearly better than
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yall are bringing up team sports. some aspects are out of the star players control
    yet Maria's endorsements doubles Serena's? that ? doesnt even make sense and yall know it

but in any source of income, I'll be damned if I'm being paid less than anybody I'm clearly better than

Serena can't control sharapovas endorsements though
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Agassi had more endorsements than Sampras, despite always losing to him.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"that ? doesnt even make sense and yall know it"

endorsements are funny. losers getting rewarded more than the winners
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I dont live by no European standard that says Caitlyn Jenner is a beautiful woman and says Serena Williams looks
    'manly" even tho she's an actual woman. ? em.

Serena is superior to Maria Anan in every which way you split, her game her legacy her face her ass her tiddies her personality >>> that mayo fluff colored broad that looks like an extra off walking dead or an aids patience. ? em.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Serena upper body is more swole than most women..we joke at Ronda Rousey and Britney Spears having man shoulders well the same can be said for Serena even more so at times.

It terms of endorsement yeah European Standards apply for Maria making more $. For Serena, there is no standard today or ideal on this planet, that view visable muscles on women as attractive, as much of society worldwide still looks down it.

I have no issue with Serena Body at all and in my other line of work (working with fitness models) that body type is normal and actually less swole, but I know the general population does. Those who like that look on women keep it on the DL for fear of being made fun of.
  • jono
    Options

"that ? doesnt even make sense and yall know it"

endorsements are funny. losers getting rewarded more than the winners

Being a pretty face >>>> being athletically superior.

Why train to be the better player when you can win off court by being "prettier".

The thing here is that the racism is pretty obvious, everyone seems to acknowledge it but won't flat out say it.
  • matt2
    matt2 Members Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't recall
    Ever seeing either of them in any kind of commercial or ad
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    IFWT_Serena-Williams-boyfriend-1.jpg

She lost the privilege to play that race ? . lol
    dahellmjcry3-gif.5259
    Cmon ? .
    You ??
    Get ya ? ass outta here bruh. U was ? after pink toes, something heavy. now u wanna throw rocks?