Woman: I’m black, but I’m uncomfortable around black people

Comments

• Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copper wrote: »
    Kat wrote: »
    It's an editorial for Christ's sake..no it may not be earth shattering to you, but it may be something someone needs to read.

Sometimes y'all are difficult for no damn reason.

Therefore its subject to our opinions is it not?

lol... its the written word for ? sake...lol
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an editorial for Christ's sake..no it may not be earth shattering to you, but it may be something someone needs to read.

Yall aren't giving opinions though, you're judging her.
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    people will read the title and the beginning of the article and say ? her she is a cornball. her realization is one that happened to plenty folks. it happened to me. I was raised in the inner city by my aunt and uncle. I felt some type of way growing up with both a mother and father figure. my peoples owned the house I grew up in. we had two cars and for a while I was considered the rich kid on the block. in my effort to be cool and accepted by my peers I ran the streets. It was like living a double life. doing my homework to please my aunt and uncle and bangin to please the neighborhood.

I did jail and said damn this aint me. I had done well in high school so i applied to college and was ashamed I got accepted. I went to college (HBCU) and I had the hardest time adjusting to people who wanted to do something with their lives. I was down there walking around acting tough like I was back on the block. in my head it made me a real ? and all the college kids were corny. i did my work but hid it like i did back at home. i didn't want to be considered soft or a sellout for trying to survive in the white's man world.

i didn't realize until my junior year that i too had spent way too much time trying to pass a black test. graduated college went back home and i was received in the hood way differently than i thought i would be. i talk to the kids in the hood and you can see their eyes light up when u mention college. i can also see their struggle as they try to figure out will their peoples look at them crazy for going.

for her it was a handshake and for her friend it was choice in music. for me it was college. it was like jail made me more black than college. i think a lot of black kids feel that way. if u never been to jail u aint a real ? . if u went to college u were an oreo.

your black test might be different but i think we all try to pass one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO_-3YVJXXs
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

Opinions are a part of judgments and vice versa
  • Kat
  • Kat
    edited August 2015

She's judging all of us while complaining about a few judgments

No she's not, she sharing her story and personal thoughts, most likely in an attempt to reach people that may feel similarly while educating people of the repercussions of stereotypes.

I found it raw and honest.
  • Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I totally read all that ? too.
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    people will read the title and the beginning of the article and say ? her she is a cornball. her realization is one that happened to plenty folks. it happened to me. I was raised in the inner city by my aunt and uncle. I felt some type of way growing up with both a mother and father figure. my peoples owned the house I grew up in. we had two cars and for a while I was considered the rich kid on the block. in my effort to be cool and accepted by my peers I ran the streets. It was like living a double life. doing my homework to please my aunt and uncle and bangin to please the neighborhood.

I did jail and said damn this aint me. I had done well in high school so i applied to college and was ashamed I got accepted. I went to college (HBCU) and I had the hardest time adjusting to people who wanted to do something with their lives. I was down there walking around acting tough like I was back on the block. in my head it made me a real ? and all the college kids were corny. i did my work but hid it like i did back at home. i didn't want to be considered soft or a sellout for trying to survive in the white's man world.

i didn't realize until my junior year that i too had spent way too much time trying to pass a black test. graduated college went back home and i was received in the hood way differently than i thought i would be. i talk to the kids in the hood and you can see their eyes light up when u mention college. i can also see their struggle as they try to figure out will their peoples look at them crazy for going.

for her it was a handshake and for her friend it was choice in music. for me it was college. it was like jail made me more black than college. i think a lot of black kids feel that way. if u never been to jail u aint a real ? . if u went to college u were an oreo.

your black test might be different but i think we all try to pass one

I grew up in small town white, USA and didn't get a chance to really mingle with other black ppl until junior high when we moved. My black classmates would've called me a ? ? and laughed me out of town for being ashamed of excelling academically as some sort of way to fit in as 'authentically black'.

Thankfully I was around blacks that didn't take any ? and weren't on any ? .
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

She's judging all of us while complaining about a few judgments

No she's not, she sharing her story and personal thoughts, most likely in an attempt to reach people that may feel similarly while educating people of the repercussions of stereotypes.

I found it raw and honest.

I was talking about you Betsy

Hence the bolded part of your quote
  • Kat
    I didn't notice the bolded, but that wasn't the point.

Whatever though.
  • Ip man
    Ip man Members Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    I clicked the link the link to see the pic...

hqdefault.jpgJ

• not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All white people exit the thread
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmyGC6aYerY

• texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read the other day.. ? is full of ?
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The handshake ? was funny tho
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A bit related but not unadulterated ? ? like op. I don't feel comfortable around Haitians. But those ? are subhuman so it's ight.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read the first paragraph and got the gist of it.
    There are plenty of ? i dont feel comfortable around and there is nothing wrong with that.

Its just differences and preferences, you aint going to always like, wanna hang around or know the same kind of people.