Woman: I’m black, but I’m uncomfortable around black people

Options

Comments

• Rembrandt
    Rembrandt Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
    Options
    This was very hard to read. And so my conclusions fall between "not giving a ? " and "interesting".
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kat wrote: »
    She grew up in a white neighborhood and got fed that propaganda about blacks.....

In essence she truly was a white person because she shares the same mind they have so the black folks that were saying she wasnt "black enough" had a point...maybe it wasnt said in a more sensitive manner but they had a point.

Black folks weren't saying that to her, it was the white folks she grew up around..therefore when she finally was around black people she felt paranoid that they felt the same way.

This touch a nerve Kat?
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All these comments are funny cause half you mfer didnt read the article.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    I'm not reading that ? but considering who made this thread, I'm assuming there's some coonery in the article hence why he posted it.

There is always coonery a mist when he posts
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I feel for the author and anyone that went through a similar experience growing up.
    That ? gotta suck
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She grew up in a white neighborhood and got fed that propaganda about blacks.....

In essence she truly was a white person because she shares the same mind they have so the black folks that were saying she wasnt "black enough" had a point...maybe it wasnt said in a more sensitive manner but they had a point.

Black folks weren't saying that to her, it was the white folks she grew up around..therefore when she finally was around black people she felt paranoid that they felt the same way.

This touch a nerve Kat?

No not really. I was raised around white people so whereas she was paranoid as how black people perceived her, I'm fully aware of how alot of white people perceive me.

I don't give a ? how I'm perceived tbh, by white or black. I know who I am.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This touch a nerve Kat?

No not really. I was raised around white people so whereas she was paranoid as how black people perceived her, I'm fully aware of how alot of white people perceive me.

I believe we all know this at this point
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    gns wrote: »
    I feel for the author and anyone that went through a similar experience growing up.
    That ? gotta suck

Yea not knowing all black people arent the same must suck. I dont even blame this lil ? , I blame her ? ass parents.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    people will read the title and the beginning of the article and say ? her she is a cornball. her realization is one that happened to plenty folks. it happened to me. I was raised in the inner city by my aunt and uncle. I felt some type of way growing up with both a mother and father figure. my peoples owned the house I grew up in. we had two cars and for a while I was considered the rich kid on the block. in my effort to be cool and accepted by my peers I ran the streets. It was like living a double life. doing my homework to please my aunt and uncle and bangin to please the neighborhood.

I did jail and said damn this aint me. I had done well in high school so i applied to college and was ashamed I got accepted. I went to college (HBCU) and I had the hardest time adjusting to people who wanted to do something with their lives. I was down there walking around acting tough like I was back on the block. in my head it made me a real ? and all the college kids were corny. i did my work but hid it like i did back at home. i didn't want to be considered soft or a sellout for trying to survive in the white's man world.

i didn't realize until my junior year that i too had spent way too much time trying to pass a black test. graduated college went back home and i was received in the hood way differently than i thought i would be. i talk to the kids in the hood and you can see their eyes light up when u mention college. i can also see their struggle as they try to figure out will their peoples look at them crazy for going.

for her it was a handshake and for her friend it was choice in music. for me it was college. it was like jail made me more black than college. i think a lot of black kids feel that way. if u never been to jail u aint a real ? . if u went to college u were an oreo.

your black test might be different but i think we all try to pass one

I'm going to keep it real with you... your story sounds fake as ? , like it's coming from the perspective of an outsider on some propaganda ? . What the ? is a black test? What are you even talking about?

You must have come from the land of lost ? .
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    Interesting. Beyond anything else, this is the most important and powerful part:

“There are 40 million black people in this country, and there are 40 million ways to be black … I do not mean to suggest that we are all of us in our own separate boxes, that one black life bears no relation to another. Of course not. We are not a monolith, but we are a community.”

Agreed, this is a concept that we have not come to terms with. We are the original man. All ethnicity is created from us, therefore we are diversity in itself.
  • ChillaDaGawd
    ChillaDaGawd Members Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    Pictures of the brawd

She's cute
    [img]https://scontent-iad3-1.? .fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/18524_378489442232427_1547217305_n.jpg?oh=b3a4ec0e55901c64abaa6a8917d23db0&oe=567742F5[/img]

Throw this one back
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pictures of the brawd

She's cute
    [img]https://scontent-iad3-1.? .fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/18524_378489442232427_1547217305_n.jpg?oh=b3a4ec0e55901c64abaa6a8917d23db0&oe=567742F5[/img]

Throw this one back

Who the ? is this Blossom
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was the only white boy in a hood Walmart walking around with WD40 and duct tape. I couldn't have looked more like a ? .
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    people will read the title and the beginning of the article and say ? her she is a cornball. her realization is one that happened to plenty folks. it happened to me. I was raised in the inner city by my aunt and uncle. I felt some type of way growing up with both a mother and father figure. my peoples owned the house I grew up in. we had two cars and for a while I was considered the rich kid on the block. in my effort to be cool and accepted by my peers I ran the streets. It was like living a double life. doing my homework to please my aunt and uncle and bangin to please the neighborhood.

I did jail and said damn this aint me. I had done well in high school so i applied to college and was ashamed I got accepted. I went to college (HBCU) and I had the hardest time adjusting to people who wanted to do something with their lives. I was down there walking around acting tough like I was back on the block. in my head it made me a real ? and all the college kids were corny. i did my work but hid it like i did back at home. i didn't want to be considered soft or a sellout for trying to survive in the white's man world.

i didn't realize until my junior year that i too had spent way too much time trying to pass a black test. graduated college went back home and i was received in the hood way differently than i thought i would be. i talk to the kids in the hood and you can see their eyes light up when u mention college. i can also see their struggle as they try to figure out will their peoples look at them crazy for going.

for her it was a handshake and for her friend it was choice in music. for me it was college. it was like jail made me more black than college. i think a lot of black kids feel that way. if u never been to jail u aint a real ? . if u went to college u were an oreo.

your black test might be different but i think we all try to pass one

I'm going to keep it real with you... your story sounds fake as ? , like it's coming from the perspective of an outsider on some propaganda ? . What the ? is a black test? What are you even talking about?

You must have come from the land of lost ? .

Hmmm fake as ? coming from someone named nothingbutthetruth.

Lost confused and conflicted. Yup i would use them all to describe me. Im not sure about the outsider thing. I was trying to be cool popular down or whatever u want to call it.

At my age its no reason for me to fake anything. I love the internet. It gives us a chance interact with each other and tell our stories. We can remain anonymous and thats whats up. Im not really sure what proof i can give u. Im not really sure whats fake. Im sure plenty of ? here ran the streets. Im sure a few those went to college. So even though my story is my story im sure it's familiar to some here.

I have no agenda so dont feel i spit propaganda. Im just a middle age dude who can understand where the chick is coming from. Her story is different but i get it.

Land of the lost...check

An outsider? On second thought im gonna say check.

• The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Aint uncomfortable around other black people but when in my hood im weary. Know how easy it is for me to lose my life over some ? and i know other ? got no problem throwing there life away showing out to there homies and ? .
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pictures of the brawd

She's cute

She does have a coonish aura about here.

I think it's her hairstyle that gives off that aura.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    Everytime she meets a black person she be like..

giphy.gif
  • ChillaDaGawd
    ChillaDaGawd Members Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? needs to read The Bluest Eye and get a sense of understanding about herself
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Many of these kinds of people impose their own perceptions of a group mentality upon black people. while at the same time flaunting their own individuality forged with their perceived acceptance by whites as some kind of badge of honor and put themselves above other black people. Not saying that is her but it does happen alot.
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This touch a nerve Kat?

And how do u think u are preceived by white people?
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't understand why black adults harbor resentment towards their own just because they caught a few "acting white" jokes back in high school.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looks like loca a bit if she lost a few hundreds of pounds.