Accused Bank Robber Says He Stole for Daughter’s Chemotherapy Treatments

Options
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• ChillaDaGawd
    ChillaDaGawd Members Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sounds like John Q
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    You know who should be in jail?

Every doctor that wouldn't treat that sick baby because her parents didn't have enough money.

Or wasn't in the network.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People committing crime out of necessity... who would of thought, right?
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ghostdog56 wrote: »
    Damn, facing life in prison for robbing a bank, child molesters and murderers don't even get that long

The new normal....

Property and wealth > Humanity.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The dude is unarmed though ? man wow at life and Subway Jared is trying to ? kids out here getting 5 years.
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kai wrote: »
    America should be ? ashamed of itself that people even think they have to resort to something like that to care for their child's in "the greatest country in the world. It is absolutely abhorrent & reprehensible that health care is not considered a human right in this country.

/thread

Murica, the capitalist society...we capitalizing on everything!

I hope his baby girl got the treatment she needed.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I promise, stories like this keep me from having kids. I don't need the stress in my life and going through some similar ? because my baby needs help that they should have a right to receive.
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he committed a victimless crime. he had no weapon, only a note. is that really a crime?

as that one hispanic dude said in an interview after "robbing" a bank with no weapon, "i asked them to give me the money, and they did. I didn't threaten anyone, just gave them a note asking for money, and they gave it to me, how is that crime?"

a gofundme should be set up to get this dudes bond money, so he can spend time with his kid. then keep the GFM going to pay for the kids chemo.

we have so many resources to take care of one another, that it's silly that we don't take advantage.
  • leftcoastkev
    edited August 2015
    Options
    America should be ? ashamed of itself that people even think they have to resort to something like that to care for their child's in "the greatest country in the world. It is absolutely abhorrent & reprehensible that health care is not considered a human right in this country.

Health "care" is an industry and a self generating (due to inevitable health issues of being human) economy to itself. Without the "price of "suffering, people can't make their livelihoods off the "cost of" ongoing care. It's not like the government is going to print the money to fund the salaries of doctors to ease the price of suffering (ideally they would as a cost of running a nation, instead of corporate bailouts).

If they did do that, colleges tuitions/loans to churn out doctors to participate in the game would indirectly transfer the burden to be paid back by the government as the funding source for students who ultimately go on to practice medicine.

Unfortunately and I hate to come off so cynical so often we live in a parasitic society that capitalizes of everything. People in desperate situations like this guy out to help his daughter are punished for not accepting his daughter's suffering and possible death as the penalty for not being able to afford the cost of ongoing care.

• SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Health "care" is an industry and a self generating (due to inevitable health issues of being human) economy to itself. Without the "price of "suffering, people can't make their livelihoods off the "cost of" ongoing care. It's not like the government is going to print the money to fund the salaries of doctors to ease the price of suffering (ideally they would as a cost of running a nation, instead of corporate bailouts).

If they did do that, colleges tuitions/loans to churn out doctors to participate in the game would indirectly transfer the burden to be paid back by the government as the funding source for students who ultimately go on to practice medicine.

Unfortunately and I hate to come off so cynical so often we live in a parasitic society that capitalizes of everything. People in desperate situations like this guy out to help his daughter are punished for not accepting his daughter's suffering and possible death as the penalty for not being able to afford the cost of ongoing care.

If medical school wasn't so expensive you would see many more people becoming doctors because they want to heal people and not because they want to get rich. As a result you would have more and better doctors, less lawsuits, less student loan debt and more money and time spent on research and innovation as opposed to administration and litigation.

Also less half-ass doctors trained in the third world that come here and don't give two ? about your life or the life of your loved ones.
  • leftcoastkev
    Options

If medical school wasn't so expensive you would see many more people becoming doctors because they want to heal people and not because they want to get rich. As a result you would have more and better doctors, less lawsuits, less student loan debt and more money and time spent on research and innovation as opposed to administration and litigation.

Also less half-ass doctors trained in the third world that come here and don't give two ? about your life or the life of your loved ones.

Good points. I never thought of it from that angle.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Obamacare didn't cover it?
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    This country on some ?
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    e9074528807c9ba1220297105e3aaad9.jpg

South Lyon, Michigan – A Michigan man accused of robbing a credit union told police he needed the money to help pay for his daughter’s chemotherapy treatments, authorities said.

Brian Randolph, 23, is accused of robbing the Vibe Credit Union in South Lyon, Michigan, on Aug. 12. Randolph entered the building and passed a note demanding money, police said.

While the note indicated he had a shotgun hidden in his clothes, he never revealed the firearm and police told ABC News that he said he did not actually bring a gun with him.

After his arrest, Randolph told police his motive for the robbery was to help pay for his daughter’s cancer treatments, authorities said.

Randolph’s family, including the mother of his 1-year-old daughter, told local ABC affiliate WXYZ-TV that they think he was desperately trying to get money before his daughter’s upcoming chemotherapy treatment. Asia Dupree, Randolph’s girlfriend and mother of their 1-year-old daughter, told WXYZ-TV that their daughter Brialynn has retinoblastoma, a cancer that forms in the eye.

“I guess it was desperation. Time was ticking right before her appointment came up,” Dupree told WXYZ-TV.

ALSO TRENDING: Woman Downs Full Bottle of Cognac When she Wasn’t Allowed to Take it on the Plane

Lt. Chris Sovik of the South Lyon Police Department said he could understand Randolph’s desperation if his daughter did have cancer, and added: “You want to do everything you can to protect your daughter.

“But there are lots of fathers whose daughters have cancer as well, and you don’t see them out there robbing banks all the time.”

Randolph is being held on $500,000 bail. He faces one count of armed robbery and another count of bank robbery, which could land him a maximum sentence of life in prison.

Huh?
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    St. Jude treats all childhood cancer for free. I guess he and everybody around him never saw the ad that has run on tv for at least ten years.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    Obamacare didn't cover it?

I know some of those republican states were trying to do away with Obamacare, but i would think that he would be covered on the federal level since the courts gave the green light.
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »
    St. Jude treats all childhood cancer for free. I guess he and everybody around him never saw the ad that has run on tv for at least ten years.

I never knew that....*que* so you mean to tell me gif *

That Devon still is using his daughters cancer as a means to keep an nfl contract and for donations while she is being treated at st Jude's?
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Health insurance companies look for any technicality they can find to not cover someone, even at the cost of a baby's life. "They didn't fill out the right forms", gtfoh.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You know who should be in jail?

Every doctor that wouldn't treat that sick baby because her parents didn't have enough money.

I understand that sentiment, but people should understand that the reason treatments are so high isn't really because doctors don't want to treat patients without money. Doctors pay a ? load in malpractice insurance. Doctors have to be careful who they treat and under what circumstances. People threaten to sue all the time.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »

Its free to those that are "eligible". Just saying.