The man who sold Minecraft to Microsoft for $2.5 billion reveals the empty side of success

Options
PILL_COSBY
PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
It's the dream of many a startup founder: Make something people love and wind up wildly rich, selling the company for billions.

But after you do that, what comes next? It could be a sense of hopeless isolation.

So says Minecraft founder Markus Persson (aka "Notch") in a strangely revealing series of tweets.

Microsoft bought Minecraft for $2.5 billion almost a year ago, and the founder did not join Microsoft after the sale.

Persson certainly looked like he was having a blast, living the big life. He bought a $70 million mansion, complete with a massive wall of candy, and has been hosting wild parties ever since.

But he's really bored and deeply lonely, he revealed in a series of tweets.

"The problem with getting everything is you run out of reasons to keep trying, and human interaction becomes impossible due to imbalance," he tweeted.

"Hanging out in ibiza with a bunch of friends and partying with famous people, able to do whatever I want, and I've never felt more isolated."

Here's the whole tweet string:

The problem with getting everything is you run out of reasons to keep trying, and human interaction becomes impossible due to imbalance.
— Markus Persson (@notch) August 29, 2015

Hanging out in ibiza with a bunch of friends and partying with famous people, able to do whatever I want, and I've never felt more isolated.

In sweden, I will sit around and wait for my friends with jobs and families to have time to do ? , watching my reflection in the monitor.

When we sold the company, the biggest effort went into making sure the employees got taken care of, and they all hate me now.

Found a great girl, but she's afraid of me and my life style and went with a normal person instead.

I would Musk and try to save the world, but that just exposes me to the same type of ? that made me sell minecraft again.

People who made sudden success are telling me this is normal and will pass. That's good to know! I guess I'll take a shower then!

Comments

• Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    didn't read, ? needs to get himself another hobby.
    Some of the richest people are successful bc their passion and will to succeed comes first, money is secondary.

He sold his passion for money which is not wrong at all. Just need to start up something new, find new meaning in another project.

He has the financial freedom to do whtever he wants that party lifestyle gets old quick.

Exactly he needs to pursue a new passion/hobby and regain that hunger for more. I believe he got bored with all that money technology, parties and fake friends will never truly make you happy in the end. He's back at the drawing board which is cool, now he doesn't have to worry about money as much and can put a feel effort in to it
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • MD_PROPER
    MD_PROPER Members Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you don't know how to LIVE before having money, then you wont know what to do when you have it.

Old cry me a river ass ? ....use your imagination

I would never be bored or lonely with that much wealth. It's too much out here to see, learn, and experience.

Too each his own i guess...
  • kingofkingz
    kingofkingz Members Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? that ? & his inner turmoil too many brothas & sisters out here struggling & he mad he mad some real money ? him
  • Bazz-B
    Bazz-B Members Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn, this some real ? . Buying that big ass ? mansion was the start of his isolation lol. But you got to do something with that money or they will take it. For some strange reason when you make a good amount of money they don't allow you to just keep your ? .

Wouldn't that ? up the economy if billionaires are allowed to sit on their money?
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Soppy ? .

He should've got a job with M$ and kept developing Minecraft.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn, this some real ? . Buying that big ass ? mansion was the start of his isolation lol. But you got to do something with that money or they will take it. For some strange reason when you make a good amount of money they don't allow you to just keep your ? .

You...really dont know the reasons? :'(
  • Karl.
    Options
    Delphas wrote: »
    Karl. wrote: »
    Soppy ? .

Not even. It's clear he has talent, and now he has money to back it up.

He could be working on creating a new game.

? , he could create a start-up that finances indie developers and educates them on the path to go for creating games.

Even better, he could be reaching out to elementary schools and created programs to teach coding skills to underpriveleged younger kids so they can make their path in the world.

Instead, he's Draking it up like a ? .

Yep. There's a million ways he could use that money to lead a fulfilling life.
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Delphas wrote: »
    Karl. wrote: »
    Soppy ? .

Not even. It's clear he has talent, and now he has money to back it up.

He could be working on creating a new game.

? , he could create a start-up that finances indie developers and educates them on the path to go for creating games.

Even better, he could be reaching out to elementary schools and created programs to teach coding skills to underpriveleged younger kids so they can make their path in the world.

Instead, he's Draking it up like a ? .

Crazy that he has no one around him to suggest these things let alone come up with it himself.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    White people are ? sometimes. There's no reason a winfall like that should ever make you depressed.

But I believe nobody should have a billion dollars. It's too much money to be caught up in one person. I by some crazy set of circumstances I ever got a billy, I'd probably give 90% of it away right away.
  • PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    White people are ? sometimes. There's no reason a winfall like that should ever make you depressed.

But I believe nobody should have a billion dollars. It's too much money to be caught up in one person. I by some crazy set of circumstances I ever got a billy, I'd probably give 90% of it away right away.
    Co ? sign bruh!!! After hearing all these crazy ass stories abut being overwhelmed and being filthy rich not being what they imagined. Then really looking into what people with a lot of money have to deal with on a financial and "life" level. I came to this same conclusion. Bruh, you gone see me walking down the street randomly dropping racks on bums on the street and ? . I'ma just randomly pop up at homeless shelters and have a big ass feast for them that will last a week. I'd pay to go into space or some ? (I always wanted to do that).

People laugh at me or don't think I'm serious whenever I say this ? . But throwing big ass parties and spending your money on ? you really don't need is cool though.

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Co ? sign bruh!!! After hearing all these crazy ass stories abut being overwhelmed and being filthy rich not being what they imagined. Then really looking into what people with a lot of money have to deal with on a financial and "life" level. I came to this same conclusion. Bruh, you gone see me walking down the street randomly dropping racks on bums on the street and ? . I'ma just randomly pop up at homeless shelters and have a big ass feast for them that will last a week. I'd pay to go into space or some ? (I always wanted to do that).

People laugh at me or don't think I'm serious whenever I say this ? . But throwing big ass parties and spending your money on ? you really don't need is cool though.

The bold is real ? . I'm not some super duper Mother Theresa type, but I just don't understand that ? . With all the people suffering in this world, there's know way I could do some ? like spend 100K on alcohol in one night at the club. That's crazy to me.
  • Karl.
    Options
    I didn't realise TV was a natural resource.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh boo hoo.

? damn at 70 million dollar mansion though.. I gotta find pics of that beast.