Assortative Mating and the Conundrum Educated Blacks face

Options

Comments

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Now is a great time to be a black male, especially if you got something going for you. The problem for black women is, why would a black male who is successful and educated settle down. It's like fishing with a grenade out here.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Problem is stupid maffucca's falling for this title and definition of "educated". Folks walking around with degrees dumb as ? thinking because they have a liberal arts, History, or a communications degree they are educated.

How about settling down, dating and mating with people who have high moral standards?

How about settling down, dating and mating with a person who is 100% vested in being parents and mates willing to make the enormous sacrifice of being in a committed relationship or family?

It's quite disturbing how some Blacks with degrees (it used to be HS diploma's) have this idea they are above others. It just doesn't add up.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    So basically what I am getting from this is some black men and women want "college degree" educated men and women. If you educated yourself through extensive reading and personal research you are not really considered by them to have "educational attainment or to be really educated". More people need to understand being school educated is not the same as being smart.

If the person you are dating or marrying can keep up with conversation even though they don't have college degrees, has good morals, principles and values and even if one person makes more than the other if the person making less can pay half the bills in the part of town that we both want to live in then that isn't marrying down IMO.

Yall need to go back to try to date and marry people and not a ? stats sheet.

I'm going to be honest I hate you new age people who think like that. A so called college education doesn't make you special and mean just because the next person doesn't have a degree it means they are not educated and can't possibly keep up intellectually with you.

When people choose money and education in picking a mate over morals, values, principles and standards you get what the ? you really asking for. That is a mate who is going to put a bigger value on their money over you!
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    If, you are going to commit to a person. In my opinion part of the commitment is to refine each other. It's quite shortsighted to believe you are going to find someone who is going to fit all of your needs and criteria. Some things have to be worked on or grown into.

But leave it to the socially inept to look for a partner, lover, friend based on them having graduated from college.
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    last thing we need is another issue to push the black man and woman further apart...

A relationship should work organically....if we both got beast careers who is raising our children?? White people??
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    Wuwop wrote: »
    last thing we need is another issue to push the black man and woman further apart...

A relationship should work organically....if we both got beast careers who is raising our children?? White people??

Or Blacks they think are beneath them?
  • ConsciousStripper
    ConsciousStripper Members Posts: 42
    edited September 2015
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Now is a great time to be a black male, especially if you got something going for you. The problem for black women is, why would a black male who is successful and educated settle down. It's like fishing with a grenade out here.

False. According to the U.S Census and the Pew Research Center Black men who date and marry out of their race have the shortest relationships and marriages. The successful rate of a non-black partner for a black male is slim to none. The only successful relationships for black men are with black women, which the U.S Census reports, and the Pew Research Center. White male and Black female, along with white male and Asian female relationships and marriages are the most stables relationships and marriages out of all couplings.

Secondly, according to this study from the Brookings institute entitled: "Race assortive mating inequality"

"When black women marry, they marry someone with less education 58% of the time. Only 11% of black women marry men with more education. Not to mention that 68% of black men of equal education are not marrying black women."

09_race_assortative_mating_fig4.png?h=459&&w=600&la=en

Source: http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/social-mobility-memos/posts/2015/04/09-race-assortative-mating-inequality-reeves?cid=00900015020149101US0001-0410

The issues made forth in this thread are not black women not being diverse. Its black men who don't have their ? together, expecting a woman who have a secondary education, or even post secondary education to settle for someone who don't, and when they don't it then becomes a "Black woman" not being diverse problem. It's not true.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? is a troll from the pits of the deepest darkest parts of internet hell FROM now on i'm just going to troll right along with this ?
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think you missed the point of his post

You should have quoted someone else. He aint trying to settle down.
  • DanteJackon
    DanteJackon Members Posts: 62 ✭✭
    Options
    Rich ? ? dumb ? all the time brah.

Recreational sex isn't the same thing as courtship and lifelong mating.

Recreational sex can cause pregnancy as well. What's your point?
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

False. According to the U.S Census and the Pew Research Center Black men who date and marry out of their race have the shortest relationships and marriages. The successful rate of a non-black partner for a black male is slim to none. The only successful relationships for black men are with black women, which the U.S Census reports, and the Pew Research Center. White male and Black female, along with white male and Asian female relationships and marriages are the most stables relationships and marriages out of all couplings.

Secondly, according to this study from the Brookings institute entitled: "Race assortive mating inequality"

"When black women marry, they marry someone with less education 58% of the time. Only 11% of black women marry men with more education. Not to mention that 68% of black men of equal education are not marrying black women."

09_race_assortative_mating_fig4.png?h=459&&w=600&la=en

Source: http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/social-mobility-memos/posts/2015/04/09-race-assortative-mating-inequality-reeves?cid=00900015020149101US0001-0410

The issues made forth in this thread are not black women not being diverse. Its black men who don't have their ? together, expecting a woman who have a secondary education, or even post secondary education to settle for someone who don't, and when they don't it then becomes a "Black woman" not being diverse problem. It's not true.

I think the Black and Asian women who marry White stay married longer because, many of the them are estranged from family. So, they have to make their relationships last. Poor choice of words but they are damaged goods to their own.

These statics are bogus. Black women aren't marrying someone who is less educated 58% of the time. They are marrying someone who has not completed a college program and hold a degree 58% of the time.

This definition of educated doesn't take into account Black Men who have certifications in trades and IT.

• caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man I say just get out there and date. You are young. You can get a chick that is 27 or younger. Go out of town and visit other cities. Go to Cincinnati or Nashville. Man the possibilities are endless. You thinking about this way too hard. The chips are stack in your favor and they will be for awhile.
  • ConsciousStripper
    edited September 2015
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    ? is a troll from the pits of the deepest darkest parts of internet hell FROM now on i'm just going to troll right along with this ?

Go put in bone in your nose ? ! You look like an avatar!

• zzombie
    Options

The average avatar woman is much better looking than the average black woman you ? look like

latest?cb=20100925214904[img][/img]
  • ConsciousStripper
    Options

The average avatar woman is much better looking than the average black woman you ? look like

Thats not what you said when you was blowing up my inbox wanting some ? .
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There's no way your ? ass is Black. If you are Black, might as well just commit dat. U pathetic
  • zzombie
    Options

There's no way your ? ass is Black. If you are Black, might as well just commit dat. U pathetic

? i'm trolling this ? today
  • ConsciousStripper
    edited September 2015
    Options

? i'm trolling this ? today

LIE!

f30no.jpg

Jamaican nose
  • zzombie
    Options
    LOL Poor KRS. The black man has a superior nose
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

lol, nurgle from warhammer. this guy.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    Ralph Richard Banks wrote about this same topic more thoroughly in his book "Is Marriage for White People?" He also claimed that the onus was on black males to get on the black females level. He also mentioned very little about racism and concomitant structures that are specifically designed to hold us back economically. He also denied the most glaring statistic that black males, in spite of being incarcerated, less educated, etc, marry at a higher rate than our female counterparts. He believed that the answer to low female marriage statistics was for them to marry white men to balance out the marriage statistics.

It's important to mention historical obstacles that the black families faced in this country. The abuse that the black family suffered in this country since the 1600s has been internalized through the generations and transferred from parent to child from generation to generation. Think of a more concentrated version of Stockholm Syndrome where the abused learns to identify with their abuser. One of the effects of this internalized oppression is dysfunction in black family units. If one of the methods of white supremacy was/is to destroy the black family unit, then it's reasonable to believe that black people (in order to adapt), would learn to live more functional lives without it.

I write of functionality only from the context of psychological paradigm; the disparate economic conditions blacks experience in comparison to whites, specifically in regard to household income, is indicative of the need for a family structure in the black community if for no other reason than as a cooperative environment to provide economic security.

This is somewhat misleading. He proposes that more black women marry non-black men, but as a way of strengthening the black family. He believes that the balance of relationship power among middle class black couples now usually favors the men with them being reluctant to marry because they have too many options (given how relatively scarce middle class black men are) and the women unable to marry because they have too few options.
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I been living in Louisville the past three months

And these ? is not lying, these hoes ain't ?
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think I seen a bad ? yet

I seen some straight ? but not no bad ?

I guess from growing up in Florida

And all these hoes is out they ? mind
  • A Talented One
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Problem is stupid maffucca's falling for this title and definition of "educated". Folks walking around with degrees dumb as ? thinking because they have a liberal arts, History, or a communications degree they are educated.

How about settling down, dating and mating with people who have high moral standards?

How about settling down, dating and mating with a person who is 100% vested in being parents and mates willing to make the enormous sacrifice of being in a committed relationship or family?

It's quite disturbing how some Blacks with degrees (it used to be HS diploma's) have this idea they are above others. It just doesn't add up.

First off, you can be educated with a liberal arts degree.

Second, the difference might not be that one person has an undergraduate degree and the other doesn't. It might be that one person has an advanced degree (Masters', Law, etc.) and the other only has a high school degree.

Third, high moral standards are not enough. Differences in educational attainment can affect chemistry and lead to conflict (over, e.g. parenting styles).

Fourth, you can have a degree without thinking that you are "above" others.
  • A Talented One
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    So basically what I am getting from this is some black men and women want "college degree" educated men and women. If you educated yourself through extensive reading and personal research you are not really considered by them to have "educational attainment or to be really educated". More people need to understand being school educated is not the same as being smart.

If the person you are dating or marrying can keep up with conversation even though they don't have college degrees, has good morals, principles and values and even if one person makes more than the other if the person making less can pay half the bills in the part of town that we both want to live in then that isn't marrying down IMO.

Yall need to go back to try to date and marry people and not a ? stats sheet.

I'm going to be honest I hate you new age people who think like that. A so called college education doesn't make you special and mean just because the next person doesn't have a degree it means they are not educated and can't possibly keep up intellectually with you.

When people choose money and education in picking a mate over morals, values, principles and standards you get what the ? you really asking for. That is a mate who is going to put a bigger value on their money over you!

Self-educated works for me. You have people like James Baldwin who never graduated college. Yet the fact is that most people without degrees aren't educated even to the level of a mere college degree, nevermind higher.