damn, i forgot all about asher roth
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KNiGHTS wrote: »
    One word. Two syllables.

Papoose. Pa-poose.

Sai-gon.

I remember coming to this site and The Reason was page after page of "OMFG! Papoose the future! Saigon the future! NYC got it on lock!"

Hell, when ASAP first came to the forefront, everybody lost their ? about them. Hell, an easier thread would've been about when don't Hip Hop fans lose their ? over a new artist and get caught in the hype.

Asap been around for five years tho and he pretty dope.

But saigon and papoose and asher....
    And the funny thing is some ppl (they scared to admit it) still think papoose or saigon gonna save hip hop if they just have "one big hit."
  • optimistic
    optimistic Members Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just before " the 18th letter" came out. ? couldn't wait for the ? 's triumphant return. MTV doing specials and ? ...........
  • d1al_t0ne
    d1al_t0ne Members Posts: 270 ✭✭
    Options
    Every NYC rapper with a hit since '05. As a native New Yorker I can attest to the hype that dudes place on these subpar rappers with a hot track or a popping mixtape, smh.
  • blatalian
    blatalian Members Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When ? said Ali Vegas was gonna be tha next Nas...yeah...remember him lol
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Damn shame Saigon Debut is near classic it got no burn I knew he never was gonna be that guy to make it, so many dope jewels/records/concepts on that album to be slept on is a travesty considering the garbage that gets burn and praise.
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i wanted lupe v. wayne soo bad..
  • nineties
    nineties Members Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    nineties wrote: »
    Ja rule on One Blood remix

someone voted wack for this post. I was a senior in high school when Game's One Blood came out in '06. a shitload of artists were on the remix. Ja happened to be the last one to spit and people were gassing up his verse like it was gonna resurrect his post-murda inc career or something.
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Common 's last few albums, I forgot they even dropped

Ill give you Nobody's Smilings average status but The Dreamer The Believer is a great album you're trippin
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Schoolboy Qs last album was overhyped. ? was calling it AOTY, and a "good" album. ? was meh at best compared to "H&C". ? was a disappointment like Ab Souls second effort the same year but the hype had people overlooking that.

People weren't being honest with constructive criticism cuz they WANTED it to be great after hearing "Man of the Year".

? I ? with YGs ? more than Schoolboy Qs that year, and I like Schoolboy Q more.

You might be wrong i remember a lot of people saying that album was average...like the overwhelming majority. I disagreed i thought it was dope
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BobOblah wrote: »
    Common 's last few albums, I forgot they even dropped

Ill give you Nobody's Smilings average status but The Dreamer The Believer is a great album you're trippin

Not to me, but eh. You like what you like
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dj pre-k wrote: »
    remember when hipsters were really into odd future

I had a white hipster pull his phone out at a party to show me a Tyler the Creator video where he's eating bugs or some shock value ? and tell me enthusiastically "FINALLY, a rapper with some substance"

Kanye-West-Blank-stare.gif

I expect this response from a J.Cole ? rider
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dj pre-k wrote: »
    remember when hipsters were really into odd future

I had a white hipster pull his phone out at a party to show me a Tyler the Creator video where he's eating bugs or some shock value ? and tell me enthusiastically "FINALLY, a rapper with some substance"

I expect this response from a J.Cole ? rider

• dj pre-k
    dj pre-k Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember back when Juelz dropped Back Like Cooked ? 2 or whatver, it seemed cats on the IC were talkin bout it in every thread
  • ThatPigskinGuy007
    ThatPigskinGuy007 Members Posts: 76 ✭✭
    Options
    To ? a Butterfly was not album of the year, was jamming Lupe's album harder than that.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    *waits for @StoneColdMikey to get at us Lupe fans now*
    ? bout to get real...

I dont even go into Lupe threads on here anymore. Yall disgust me too much.

And as far as Saigon goes. His debut was GREAT. But the album to follow i bought... Played it once and never again. His rise & fall was fast & real
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    *waits for @StoneColdMikey to get at us Lupe fans now*
    ? bout to get real...

I dont even go into Lupe threads on here anymore. Yall disgust me too much.

And as far as Saigon goes. His debut was GREAT. But the album to follow i bought... Played it once and never again. His rise & fall was fast & real

why go into a lupe thread when we can bring it to you buddy....

Lupe Fiasco is the most talented lyricist I've ever heard, and would feel confident with my money on him verse for verse against anybody dead or alive. But that's a matter of preference.

Saigon's struggle with Atlantic killed his career. That album had been done for a couple years, but they couldn't get it released and it killed his buzz. By the time it dropped, people wanted to hear it, but the time had already passed where people were clamoring for it. Had it dropped when it was supposed to(during the ringtone bubblegum era) it would have been a breath of fresh air. He lost all his momentum though.
  •  i ro ny
    i ro ny Members Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options

man this thread is hilarious.

i remember when people thought Game was going to be the SAVIOR of the West Coast and the future. i always hated that ? music. ALWAYS.

i was definitely on the Papoose hype train. Charades? Chess? Alphabetical Slaughter? Dude had concept records for DAYS in a time where snap music was the wave. He was hip hops only hope for a short period of time. Then he dropped 299239239 mixtapes.

and @_Lefty is completely dead on about Lupe & Saigon. Greatest Story Never Told is an AMAZING project. It just came out wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy after people cared. Most moved on.
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cheif Keef comes to mind and pretty much anybody @ptown hypes Ie trinidad james
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kdot has a certified classic in gkmc so he has actually lives up to his hype but I agree he has been lackluster since the control vs. Tpab is forgetable. Still listen to section 80 and gkmc on road trips to this day.
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember when fifty came out and all those mixtape were hitting, then g unitwould be all on the radio giving freestyles and everyone shouting out free yayo. I remember the bet awards like 03 it seemed fifty performed a million times....the ? was crazy. I never seen ? like it