Build a PC thread

Options

Comments

• AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »
    Yo that ssd changes your whole gaming experience on Dragon Age and Witcher 3, the load times are so short you blink and miss them on console you can go run an errand come back and still be loading.

yea mayne lol

im bout to cop another ssd. I got my OS and a few games on it

loading times are really fast imo
  • Thereal_ba
    Thereal_ba Members Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »
    I needed ram so I said ? it might as well upgrade everything for few extra dollars cuz ima keep it a stack my first joint was a small form factor and I had that ? rigged up to fit the graphics card. Windows 10 just installed in 10 minutes no pun.

What gpu yu running?
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Hevalisk
    Hevalisk Members Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    (I'm putting the important stuff in all caps, lol)

Tip: Unless you're just building a PC for the experience, or you want a certain chipset or high quality parts

When doing a budget build, it's generally cheaper to buy a refurbished PC, with a decent CPU THAT'S NOT IN A SLIMLINE CASE. Before you buy, look up the PC's manual to find out how many HDD it can support, if it can support an SSD, the maximum amount of RAM it can support, and what kind of PCIE it has
    From there you just replace the the PSU, maybe add some RAM depending, and add a decent GPU.

ONE MAJOR THING YOU NEED TO WATCH OUT FOR.

Some manufacturer PC's use proprietary connectors, meaning they might have some weird connections that are different than your regular PC.

Great example: Lenovo often uses some weird PSU and mobo that uses a 14 pin connector instead of a 24 pin connector
    Fortunately, a lot of people with Lenovos want to upgrade their PSU as well, so companies started making adapters for it.
    https://www.amazon.com/Power-Supply-Adapter-Cable-Lenovo/dp/B00WE5KSFQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1494564544&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=lenovo+14+pin+to+24+pin

I Bought this for $270 a few weeks ago. (Note refurb sometimes don't come with the exact listed specs, but typically pretty close.)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883797477

Instead I got an i5 3550 and a 2 TBB HDD,
    Intel Core i5 3rd Gen 3470 (3.20 GHz) i5 3550
    8 GB DDR3
    1 TB HDD 2 TB HDD
    Windows 10 Pro
    Intel HD Graphics 2500

From buying refurbished I saved (just rough estimate off the top of my head)
    CPU - $200
    RAM - $50.00
    Mobo - $70
    Case - $35
    Harddrive $50 (unless you want an SSD)
    OS - $30-100+ (we'll go with $30)
    = $435

= $165 saved.

All I did was put a new PSU in it, was thinking about throwing an RX 460 in it, but I'm not going to be using it for any gaming, so nah.

It's not my main PC, I got it for something else.

I also bought this refurb monitor for it, it actually came brand new.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824022275

• The Recipe
    Options
    Im rocking a Lenovo also didnt know about the psu because my gpu doesnt need additional power. I remember watching a view vids where they mentioned that those adapters had a few cons cant remember them off the top of my head though.

But yeah there are so many entry ways into PC gaming these days including refurb and used PCs especially with the gtx 1050 gpu which operates off any prebuilt psu. I went used myself but might upgrade one more time before Destiny 2 drops.
  • Hevalisk
    Hevalisk Members Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They were worried that the adapter may not be perfect, and could cause stalls, lockups or other problems, but there hasn't been anyone to show this actually happening.

I'm not really worried, all the reviews for these adapters are 5 stars, and you know how petty some reviewers can be, if there were problems I would assume those reviews would drop down to about 3 1/2 stars.
  • AP21
    Options
    my biggest piece of advice is to make sure you have a case that has sufficient air flow

with my first build, i made the mistake of getting a smaller case b/c i wanted a similar build like a console. I didnt get it THAT small, but i wasnt trying to have no super computer looking case either lol

but, eventually, it would suffer from heating issues b/c my gpu would get so hot, but there was not enough air flow to suck the air out and my machine would constantly crash as a result

got a bigger case and my parts are now cool af. I also have more fans too.
  • Thereal_ba
    edited May 2017
    Options
    h917xnod57p9.jpg
    I hate doing cable management when swapping cases
  • AP21
    Options
    looking good brah
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I still need to do this lol, people at my job always like how do you work in IT and never built a computer lol
  • The Recipe
    Options
    So I used mods on Fallout 4 and dying light and ruined the game for me, note to self avoid ? mode mods.
  • The Recipe
    Options
    Played Tekken 7, MGSV, Mario Kart 8, Street Fighter V, Dirt 4 all on PC today. My game library is rivaling Netflix's variety. It's funny cuz I don't know what I should play sometimes, that's how I feel when I launch Netflix sometimes. I be like what should I watch lol.
  • AP21
    Options
    i just bought 6 more games during the steam summer sale :(
  • The Recipe
    Options
    So whats the deal with mouse and keyboards fellas? Why do I need a mechaical keyboard? What's the deal with the color switches on them? Any recommendations keep in mind I'm on around a 300$ build so I'm looking for a bang for my buck utility and performance over bells and whistles. Drop any insight you have acquired weather I've asked or not please. Thanks in advance.
  • The Recipe
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Just got a deal on a 1080p 29 in vizio tv for 30 dollars, cable input jack got broken off LOL I don't watch cable or regular tv in general so that's a win for me. But been running some dual monitor Co Op games with my son Blops 3 and Mario Kart. I'm loving PC gaming if the Destiny PC release was not stagnated I probably would never look back at Consoles lol.

1drmqxri4kxq.jpg
  • Blunt To Joint
    Blunt To Joint Members Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi there, thank ? I've found this thread.

I'm building a set for my corner to play battle ground with my friends. The budget is about $500-$700. There's alot of discussion and websites for this but I can't read them all. Only one good new is I like the GTX 1060 as my friends recommended it, bad new is that's all I know ... I have no idea about other parts. Thanks.
  • Thereal_ba
    Options

I'm building a set for my corner to play battle ground with my friends. The budget is about $500-$700. There's alot of discussion and websites for this but I can't read them all. Only one good new is I like the GTX 1060 as my friends recommended it, bad new is that's all I know ... I have no idea about other parts. Thanks.

The gtx1060 is good especially considering what nvidia did with the 1000 series gpus. Are you going amd or intel for your cpu?
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    I still need to do this lol, people at my job always like how do you work in IT and never built a computer lol

Thought it was just me..lol
    I've never built one from scratch, but it's definitely on my IT bucket list.
  • The Recipe
    edited July 2017
    Options

@Blunt To Joint

1060 builds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PltxjaCkKk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnEEnQRFqMA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVIX8SBOT2o

• The Recipe
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My biggest piece of advice from my experience so far is you dont have to spend 500+ for a PC, I play tons of games on my 2011 CPU, at 1080p High settings.(Witcher 3, Just Cause 3, Fallout 4) The other thing you have to consider is the access to the library of older games you will have that doesnt take a 1080ti i7 7700 build to run. For instance im playing Splinter Cell Blacklist, Arkahm City and Bioshock great games that I missed on console on my I7 2600 1050ti and it runs them with no sweat broken.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I will do this one day.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Does keyboard and mouse take long to master for shooters?
  • Thereal_ba
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »
    Does keyboard and mouse take long to master for shooters?

No. To me its more accurate. Plus you can adjust your sensitivity settings on your mouse to what best suits you.
  • AP21
    Options
    man, i've tried to play with mouse/kb playing shooters and i just suck lol

i'ma jus stick to the controllers