Dispatcher in Tamir Rice case resigned from Cleveland pig department...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in The Social Lounge
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/09/dispatcher_in_tamir_rice_case.html
Dispatcher in Tamir Rice case resigned from Cleveland police department

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The dispatcher who sent Cleveland police to Cudell Recreation Center the day an officer fatally shot 12-year-old Tamir Rice resigned from the department in July, according to records released Thursday.

Beth Mandl sent a two-sentence resignation letter to the department on July 16 after failing to show up for work since April 3.

"I have enjoyed working here and I will miss you all," the letter said.

Mandl signed her letter days after the department gave the long-absent dispatcher an ultimatum: provide a "satisfactory explanation" for her absence or be considered resigned.

Mandl said the job was stressful and spoke about quitting before she abandoned the post, according to a department letter. She was not paid during her absence.

Mandl came under fire from Tamir's family and civil rights leaders in the days and months after the fateful November 2014 dispatch. A man called 911 and said that a male — possibly a juvenile — was waving around a gun and that the gun was "probably fake."

That information was not relayed to the officers who showed up to Cudell. Tamir was shot within seconds of their arrival.

In 2008, Mandl was fired from her dispatcher job with Case Western Reserve University's police department. About the same time, she was arrested and charged with bringing a gun to a bar.

I guess this is good.. even though it's about 10 months to late...

Comments

• ChillaDaGawd
    ChillaDaGawd Members Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hope this ? hangs herself
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @obnoxiouslyfresh why wouldnt a dispatcher relay everything the caller told her to the cops? Isnt that taught it training. Wtf was her problem?
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I blame the dude who called it in more than anyone esle.

I mean, he said it looked like a fake gun....said the kid was probably harmless.....but still decided to call 911 anyway.

He knew exactly what he was doing.
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »

I mean, he said it looked like a fake gun....said the kid was probably harmless.....but still decided to call 911 anyway.

i hear ya @deadeye, but i think i put more blame on the dispatcher. if i remember correctly the caller (i remember it being an old man) i think he told the dispatcher at least 3 times that it might have been fake and the dispatcher still failed to tell that to the cop
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    damn so i just realized this

BOTH THE DISPATCHER AND THE COP THAT SHOT TAMIR HAD BOTH BEEN FIRED FROM PREVIOUS DEPARTMENTS!!!!!!

like i said i already knew this about the cop, but damn the dispatcher too.. aight gotta log off. I'll be upset all day about the ?
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You wouldn't call the police if you saw someone walking around with a gun... that might be fake?
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JusDre313 wrote: »
    but at the end of the day its still the cops fault that shot as well and Cleveland PD, because this cop had already been fired from a previous police department and Cleveland PD failed to review hsi records before hiring him
    A Nov. 29, 2012 letter contained in Tim Loehmann's personnel file from the Independence Police Department says that during firearms qualification training he was "distracted" and "weepy."

"He could not follow simple directions, could not communicate clear thoughts nor recollections, and his handgun performance was dismal," according to the letter written by Deputy Chief Jim Polak of the Independence police.

The letter recommended that the department part ways with Loehmann, who went on to become a police officer with the Cleveland Division of Police.

"I do not believe time, nor training, will be able to change or correct the deficiencies," Polak said.

this is also a issue that happens often. Cops are fired for poor performance from one department and end up employed as a cop at another city/ department. this is where a national policing license should me mandated. These pieces of ? shouldn't be able to hop from town to town and continue being cops, when they weren't qualified in the first place.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/12/cleveland_police_officer_who_s.html

Even worse is that these clowns can easily get fired for being "weepy" (whatever that means) but when it comes to cold-blooded murder they're golden.
  • Trillfate
    Options
    JusDre313 wrote: »
    damn so i just realized this

BOTH THE DISPATCHER AND THE COP THAT SHOT TAMIR HAD BOTH BEEN FIRED FROM PREVIOUS DEPARTMENTS!!!!!!

like i said i already knew this about the cop, but damn the dispatcher too.. aight gotta log off. I'll be upset all day about the ?
    A lazy dispatcher + incompetent cop = a dead 12 year old

...but what about black-on-black crime?
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You wouldn't call the police if you saw someone walking around with a gun... that might be fake?

Not if it was a harmless little kid.

Plus, the caller seemed pretty confident that the gun was fake.

He didn't sound like he had any doubts about that at all.
  • Ol Jay's
    Ol Jay's Members Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

hell naw, it's not illegal to carry a gun real or fake
  • ChillaDaGawd
    ChillaDaGawd Members Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can tell the difference between a real gun and a toy though
  • NCswag
    NCswag Members Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

He did the right thing ? . Are you serious????!!!
  • Ol Jay's
    Options
    NCswag wrote: »

@NCswag how did he do the right thing by calling the police on a kid playing with a toy gun

Supposedly this kid was waving the gun around pointing it at people, and you mean to tell me none of the people he pointed the gun at called the police, maybe they didn't call because they knew it was fake

That caller should have left it up to the people that had direct contact with the kid to call the police, seeing as if a crime was being committed then they would be considered the victims, cuz it's not like he was holding them hostage
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    edited September 2015
    Options

Not if it was a harmless little kid.

Plus, the caller seemed pretty confident that the gun was fake.

He didn't sound like he had any doubts about that at all.

Kids shoot themselves and other people by accident all the time while playing with guns. I would absolutely call the police if I saw a child playing with what appeared to be a gun.

• obnoxiouslyfresh
    Options
    Ol Jay's wrote: »

A 12 year old can carry a gun legally now? Whoa...
  • Ol Jay's
    Options

A 12 year old can carry a gun legally now? Whoa...

the caller didn't know how old he was, he said possibly a juvenile
  • Trillfate
    Options

@NCswag how did he do the right thing by calling the police on a kid playing with a toy gun

Supposedly this kid was waving the gun around pointing it at people, and you mean to tell me none of the people he pointed the gun at called the police, maybe they didn't call because they knew it was fake

That caller should have left it up to the people that had direct contact with the kid to call the police, seeing as if a crime was being committed then they would be considered the victims, cuz it's not like he was holding them hostage

I dont fault the caller as much. Even if the call was rooted in racism the caller made it clear Tamir was a kid and the gun was probably fake

The the trained professionals are responsible for this killing
  • NCswag
    NCswag Members Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You MUST be posting for shock value right now. You can't fault that man for basically going overboard and saying that the joint might be fake in the call so many times. You should blame the ? cips, not the dude that called the cops.
  • Ol Jay's
    Options

You MUST be posting for shock value right now. You can't fault that man for basically going overboard and saying that the joint might be fake in the call so many times. You should blame the ? cips, not the dude that called the cops.

if that ? couldn't tell the difference between a fake or real gun then he should of stayed out of it
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    Options

if that ? couldn't tell the difference between a fake or real gun then he should of stayed out of it

Damn, you cold blooded.

• Ol Jay's
    Options

Damn, you cold blooded.

naw what's cold blooded is the fact a 12 year old boy is dead because of poor judgment on all adults involved behalf

If the caller was so concerned that this kid was waving and pointing a gun at people, who by the way didn't call the police, then he should of caught up to those who had the gun pointed at them and asked them about the situation before making a broad assumption that led to the death of a kid over a toy
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    Options

Damn, you cold blooded.

naw what's cold blooded is the fact a 12 year old boy is dead because of poor judgment on all adults involved behalf

If the caller was so concerned that this kid was waving and pointing a gun at people, who by the way didn't call the police, then he should of caught up to those who had the gun pointed at them and asked them about the situation before making a broad assumption that led to the death of a kid over a toy

Are you trolling right now lol? Or just being petty because you want this caller to be wrong for whatever reason? The fault lies in the reckless actions of the responding officers, as well as the negligence and incompetence of the dispatcher. You mean to tell me that if I look out my window from the 3rd floor and see someone who looks like they're being robbed, I need to run downstairs outside to conduct an interview before I call police? Are you serious? You can call the police on a hunch if something doesnt feel right. That has saved many a life. It is the responsibility of first responders to assess and make appropriate choices to resolve those incidents. The caller thought some ? was going down and did the right thing.