B.O.W. Vol. 8: 1992-98 HBK vs 2002-10 HBK

Options
DOPEdweebz
DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
edited September 2015 in Off The Turn Buckle
Buy or Sell Shawn Michaels (1989-1998) vs Shawn Michaels (2002-2010)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kvVzT7JL90

B.O.W. Vol. 8: 1992-98 HBK vs 2002-10 HBK 14 votes

1992-1998 HBK
57%
willhustleKillaChamPanchoYoSanchoMax.its....JOHN BTheIraqblu197Tsotsi Cape Town 8 votes
2002-2012 HBK
42%
jonoRobCoLifeDOPEdweebzTheBoyRoPeezy_JenkinsRawAce 6 votes

Comments

• TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2002-2012 HBK
    This was tough. HBK had to kinda reinvent himself when we decided to go back to WWE full time after summerslam 2002. He only had one world title reign and it only lasted a month. But he had some classic matches and helped make the stats of today (Orton, cena)
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    1992-1998 HBK
    Boy Toy = Athletic Peak
    shawn.jpg
    tumblr_lvae1cvyB01r7nvsko1_500.png

Heartbreak Kid/Boyhood Dream = Wrestling Peak
    l.jpg
    The-Boyhood-Dream-Comes-True.png
    hbk.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

Early Attitude Era/DX = Entertainment Peaktumblr_mmewa00a2N1rg89a6o1_500.jpg
    6234079_orig.jpg?234
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    2002-2012 HBK
    HBK had more classic matches when he came back like 3 or 4 morr times the classic matches
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2002-2012 HBK
    Athletically he wasn't the same, he was a tad bit slower but his psychology got INFINITELY better after his return.
  • blu197
    Options
    1992-1998 HBK
    HBK had more classic matches when he came back like 3 or 4 morr times the classic matches

Well no ? , you're comparing a 6 year singles run to a 10 year singles run so the second run has the advantage of more matches, but HBKs prime years in the 90s was better than Born Again HBK at everything, the only thing Born Again HBK had on 90s HBK is longevity and maybe slightly better in ring psychology, not saying HBK lost that big of a step but he cleary wasn't the same athlete after the back injury, that's like saying Jordan was better during the 2nd 3peat than the first bc the Bulls achieved a 72-10 record and the Flu Game....
  • blu197
    Options
    1992-1998 HBK
    And the first singles run is more closer to 5 years bc he first retired in March '98, Born Again has a few more classics but he has 4-5 more years of work, thread topic isn't "which had more classics" but which is the Better Overall Wrestler, i dont see how anybody can pick post back surgery HBK over his prime years from an entertainment and in ring standpoint...
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    2002-2012 HBK
    blu197 wrote: »

Well no ? , you're comparing a 6 year singles run to a 10 year singles run so the second run has the advantage of more matches, but HBKs prime years in the 90s was better than Born Again HBK at everything, the only thing Born Again HBK had on 90s HBK is longevity and maybe slightly better in ring psychology, not saying HBK lost that big of a step but he cleary wasn't the same athlete after the back injury, that's like saying Jordan was better during the 2nd 3peat than the first bc the Bulls achieved a 72-10 record and the Flu Game....
    He averaged more classics per year also, and the longevity is factor also. I say his matches vs Angle, Taker wm 25, flair, cena on raw, shelton on raw, etc. id take the more consistent and better psychological years of HBK over athleticism. If athleticism was a main factor than AJ Styles and RVD would be ranked higher than HBK.
  • blu197
    Options
    1992-1998 HBK

He averaged more classics per year also, and the longevity is factor also. I say his matches vs Angle, Taker wm 25, flair, cena on raw, shelton on raw, etc. id take the more consistent and better psychological years of HBK over athleticism. If athleticism was a main factor than AJ Styles and RVD would be ranked higher than HBK.

Ima have to go back and look through both runs, match for match Born Again probly has 2 or 3 more better matches despite having a few years advantage, you're basically saying those matches with Cena, old Flair and Shelton are that much better than his matches during his IC, European and WWF Title runs....

Athleticism is main factor when talking about better OVERALL wrestler, it's clear as day HBK was more entertaining on the mic and in general in the 90s as a Heel and the early DX days compared to born again who was strictly face...

Again OVERALL 90s HBK is better in Athleticism, in-ring ability, mic work, charisma as BOTH Face and Heel bc Born Again was majority the sympathetic Face... as an OVERALL wrestler Born Again comes short to 90s HBK..
  • DOPEdweebz
    edited September 2015
    Options
    2002-2012 HBK
    HBKs physicsl prime was his 90s but he had a more classical run and more slightly memorable career in the 2000s imo.
  • blu197
    edited September 2015
    Options
    1992-1998 HBK
    HBKs physicsl prime was his 90s but he had a more classical run and more slightly memorable career in the 2000s imo.

Nosign on "slightly more memorable", the top 5 things that majority (that arent kids) will remember from HBK are

Montreal Screwjob
    Iron Man Match WM12
    WM14 Austin
    Heel Turn on Marty Jannettey (that moment created the term "Heel Turn" )
    Starting DX and kicking off the Attitude Era

Also other things that were historical like being in the first ever Ladder and Hell in a Cell match..

When talking about OVERALL body of work, 90s HBK is better on the mic, entertainer (he's a natural Heel), wrestler and athlete... Longevity and slightly better psychology isn't enough for me to give Born Again the nod..
  • blu197
    Options
    1992-1998 HBK
    His Tag Team run with Austin is also underrated
    hqdefault.jpg
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    2002-2012 HBK

Nosign on "slightly more memorable", the top 5 things that majority (that arent kids) will remember from HBK are

Montreal Screwjob
    Iron Man Match WM12
    WM14 Austin
    Heel Turn on Marty Jannettey (that moment created the term "Heel Turn" )
    Starting DX and kicking off the Attitude Era

Also other things that were historical like being in the first ever Ladder and Hell in a Cell match..

When talking about OVERALL body of work, 90s HBK is better on the mic, entertainer (he's a natural Heel), wrestler and athlete... Longevity and slightly better psychology isn't enough for me to give Born Again the nod..

Thats your opinion. Respect.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1992-1998 HBK
    Good thread, I'm leaning 90's but I been catching up on all of his 2000's stuff recently which is all great, I was about to post everything Blu already posted, my nostalgic state of mind prevails I'm going with the 90's Shawn
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1992-1998 HBK
    He forgot one though

match-graphic.png
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    2002-2012 HBK
    He forgot one though

match-graphic.png
    You can argue both the summerslam and wrestlemania ladder matches were classics. I think he even had a classic vs Kevin Nash at In Your House. Every match vs Bret was on point too. It is a tough comparison tho.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2002-2012 HBK
    He had better people to work with his second run too. The booking style allowed for more varied match ups in his later years too
  • blu197
    Options
    1992-1998 HBK
    This type of discussion can also be talked about with other wrestlers like Undertaker, Golden Age/New Generation/Attitude Era Taker vs Ruthless Aggression/PG Era Taker...

Or even Hogan, Hulk Hogan WWF run vs Hollywood Hogan WCW run..
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2002-2012 HBK
    WWF sucked to me before 98

? was generic and cartoonish
  • TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1992-1998 HBK
    I'm shocked folks are picking the 02-12 option.....
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1992-1998 HBK
    HBK wrestled from 02-10 not 2012.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2002-2012 HBK
    wats yall thoughts on the ironman match?
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    2002-2012 HBK
    willhustle wrote: »
    HBK wrestled from 02-10 not 2012.

Noted.
  • DOPEdweebz
    edited September 2015
    Options
    2002-2012 HBK
    Ok found it
    Buy or Sell Shawn Michaels (1989-1998) vs Shawn Michaels (2002-2010)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kvVzT7JL90
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1992-1998 HBK
    wats yall thoughts on the ironman match?

From a wrestling standpoint and with it being the first one in WWE history I say classic. From an entertainment view boring because there where no pinfalls during the actual 60 mins. Now the Ironman match between HHH & The Rock was crazy especially the ending where Rock was robbed at the end.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2002-2012 HBK
    yea, i was gonna say its good but i was a bit disapponted by it when i finally saw it