Donald Trump's Tax Code For 2016

1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
1443456013019.jpg
the_late_show_donald_trump.jpg

Donald Trump unveiled his new plan for overhauling the federal tax code in a speech at Trump Tower in New York this morning. The plan — previewed in a Wall Street Journal article and detailed by the campaign here — is being sold as a populist overture, a cut for the poor and middle class that still hits rich hedge fund managers, in sharp contrast to the more rich-friendly proposals of Trump's rivals like Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, and Rand Paul. "I don't want to have certain people on Wall Street getting away with paying no tax," Trump told 60 Minutes' Scott Pelley on Sunday night.

But in reality, Trump's proposal promises cuts for the rich even larger than Bush's. It slashes the corporate tax rate by more than half. It cuts tax rates on capital gains and investment income. It's an orthodox supply-side conservative tax plan in a middle-class tax cut's clothing.

The basics: Trump's plan for individual taxes
Instead of the 35 percent top rate, corporations would pay a flat tax of 15 percent.
Income under $50,000 for couples ($25,000 for singles) would be tax-free; the 10 percent rate would apply to income from $50,000 to $100,000 for married couples; the 20 percent rate to income from $100,000 to $300,000; and the 25 percent rate to income above that.
The top capital gains rate would be cut to 20 percent from 23.8 percent, through the elimination of Obamacare's 3.8 percent surtax.
The first 15 percent capital gains rate would kick in at $100,000 for couples, not the current $74,900. But the 20 percent rate would kick in a little earlier: $300,000, not $464,850.
Mortgage interest and charitable deductions would be unchanged, but other deductions and tax breaks would be limited for top earners, including by "steepening the curve of the Personal Exemption Phaseout and the Pease Limitation on itemized deductions" and "phasing out the tax exemption on life insurance interest for high-income earners."
The Alternative Minimum Tax — which ensures that wealthy households' taxes don't fall too much due to deductions — would be eliminated.
The estate tax would be eliminated.
Hedge fund and private equity managers would see performance-based fees known as "carried interest" taxed at the ordinary income tax rate, rather than the capital gains tax rate. Given other provisions of Trump's plan, this change would only raise the top rate for performance fees from 23.8 percent to 25 percent, which isn't that significant, and is likely offset in the vast majority of cases by Trump cutting taxes for fund managers' basic management fees.

How much would Trump's plan cost?
Trump's campaign insists the plan would be "revenue neutral." It's hard to see how this could be the case. Based on the tax bracket thresholds in the plan, just about no one would face a higher marginal tax rate than they do now.

The 10 percent tax rate kicks in at $50,000 for married couples; today, married couples with that much taxable income are paying 15 percent. The 20 percent rate under Trump's plan kicks in at $100,000; currently, couples at that level are paying 25 percent. The 25 percent rate kicks in at $300,000; couples at that level now pay 33 percent, and then there are two more brackets beyond that.

Trump would slash rates for just about everybody, across the board. Especially if he plans to entirely preserve the mortgage interest and charitable tax deductions — two of the most costly tax expenditures — it's hard to see the math working out such that the government wouldn't lose revenue.

One caveat: Trump has spoken often of his desire to slap tariffs on foreign imports. That could potentially make up a good amount of lost revenue, but would also greatly increase the cost of goods in the US, cause significant economic damage, and probably provoke a massive trade war. When Pelley asked about the tariff idea on 60 Minutes, Trump seemed to demur, saying, "I don't want to say tax anything. I'm talking about a fair war. I'm talking about, also, I have the smartest people on Wall Street lined up already. They're going to represent us on Japan, on Mexico."

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-28%20at%2010.29.21%20AM.png

Trump's plan would almost certainly help the rich disproportionately. The slashing of the corporate tax rate, for one thing, would have major regressive implications. Jim Nunns of the Tax Policy Center has found that about 20 percent of the corporate income tax is paid by workers, and the rest by capital; he concludes that in 2015, the top 1 percent pays 52.8 percent of the corporate tax burden, and the top 0.1 percent pays 33.4 percent. So slashing the corporate rate to 15 percent from 35 percent would overwhelmingly help the richest Americans.

While everyone who pays income tax would benefit from the bigger initial exemption in Trump's plan, the elimination of the 28, 33, 35, and 39.6 percent tax brackets only helps households making six figures a year, and it helps them substantially. Those households also benefit from the higher kick-in of the 10 percent, 15 percent, and 25 percent brackets. Given that Trump doesn't call for expansions of the Earned Income Tax Credit or the Child Tax Credit, the 40.4 percent of households already not paying any income tax won't get anything out of his proposal.

However they would, apparently, get to fill out a tax form that says, "I win":

Trump would also grow that 40.4 percent figure — or the "47 percent" as Mitt Romney famously called them — substantially. His campaign told WSJ that 31 million more households would see their income tax bills reduced to zero. Assuming the reforms take effect in 2018, that boosts the number of households with zero or negative income tax liability from 64 million to 95 million — or from 38.3 percent to 56.9 percent.

How does Trump's plan stack up?
Trump's plan is, in every particular, more moderate than the plan he laid out in his 2011 book, Time to Get Tough. Then, he called for a top rate of 15 percent; today, it's 25 percent. Then, he wanted to eliminate corporate income taxes all together; today, he only wants to cut the rate to 15 percent. Then, he wanted to slash capital gains tax rates to 15 percent; today, he's okay with 20 percent. Then, he wanted a 20 percent tariff on all imports; the 2015 plan as laid out in the Wall Street Journal does not specify a general tariff rate.

But it's a more extreme plan than Bush has proposed, featuring a lower corporate rate (albeit one that still includes overseas income) and a lower top individual rate. It's a bit harder to compare to Rubio's plan. While Rubio features a higher corporate rate (25 percent) and top individual rate (35 percent), he'd also completely eliminate taxes on capital gains and investment income, which would produce a huge windfall for wealthy Americans. Trump does not go that far, even as he still slashes the top capital gains rate.

Trump's plan is also tough to compare with Rand Paul's, which institutes a 14.5 percent flat tax on ordinary and investment income (which is a bigger cut than Trump proposes) alongside a 14.5 percent VAT to replace the corporate tax (which would result in a big tax hike for low-income individuals, but which could wind up helping wealthy people by letting corporations off the hook).

Comments

• Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
  • Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I watched this dude on 60 minutes yesterday, it'll be a travesty if he wins the presidency
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? if W got in anything is possible
  • Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rasta. wrote: »
    I watched this dude on 60 minutes yesterday, it'll be a travesty if he wins the presidency
    i would say people aren't that stupid... but i would be mistaken

Must be computers rocketing him to the top of the polls then
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there is no way trump will be elected
  • Beech Oss Neega
    Beech Oss Neega Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lamontbdc wrote: »

Let's not forget Bush stole the first election. He should've never been president to begin with
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JokerKing wrote: »
    Oh cool

Word, when i smoke my dust tonight, im going to be transported to this magical world where this is already in action
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simpy put, the plan is great. Nearly everyone's taxes get cut, and with a 15% corporate rate we will see tons of new jobs come back. and I'm talking about the working/middle class jobs that we need. Not the minimum wage ? progressives are pushing on us.
  • J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/29/upshot/trump-plan-is-tax-cut-for-the-rich-even-hedge-fund-managers.html?_r=0
    Trump Plan Is Tax Cut for the Rich, Even Hedge Fund Managers

Donald Trump’s tax plan, released Monday, does not live up to the populist language he has offered on taxes all summer.

When talking about taxes in this campaign, Donald Trump has often sounded like a different kind of Republican. He says he will take on “the hedge fund guys” and their carried interest loophole. He thinks it’s “outrageous” how little tax some multimillionaires pay. But his plan calls for major tax cuts not just for the middle class but also for the richest Americans — even the hedge fund managers. And despite his campaign’s assurances that the plan is “fiscally responsible,” it would grow budget deficits by trillions of dollars over a decade.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Simpy put, the plan is great. Nearly everyone's taxes get cut, and with a 15% corporate rate we will see tons of new jobs come back. and I'm talking about the working/middle class jobs that we need. Not the minimum wage ? progressives are pushing on us.

OK, Zombie, Jr
  • (ob)Scene
    (ob)Scene Members Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where the hell did this notion come from that jobs are created based upon what corporations pay in taxes as opposed to product demand?
  • CP203
    CP203 Members Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (ob)Scene wrote: »

Where the hell did this notion come from that jobs are created based upon what corporations pay in taxes as opposed to product demand?

Because that's how corporations spin it, everytime they talk about raising corporate taxes they talk about cutting jobs
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

lilknick_medium.gif

• Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lmao @ thinking corporations are gonna make new jobs with that extra money. Thats going straight to those executive's pockets
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lamontbdc wrote: »

Let's not forget Bush stole the first election. He should've never been president to begin with

True but Gore ? ain't even put up a fight to get that ? back
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any Black, Hispanic, or poor White that votes for Trump or even considers voting for this man needs to be evaluated mentally.

The state of America would be worse than it was in the G. W. Bush years with Trump as commander in chief.
  • J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simpy put, the plan is great. Nearly everyone's taxes get cut,

Bush tried this and it led to billions of debt because he nor Trump are able to pay for these tax cuts for the rich. I though you guys cared so much about debt?.....LOL.

and with a 15% corporate rate we will see tons of new jobs come back. and I'm talking about the working/middle class jobs that we need. Not the minimum wage ? progressives are pushing on us.

Thanks to Obama, a lot of the jobs that were lost under Bush's 'Great Recession' have come back. Unfortunately the republicans have been fighting against a wage hike, thus the income gap is widening more and more.
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would say people aren't that stupid... but i would be mistaken

Must be computers rocketing him to the top of the polls then

It's the racists.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how he's supposed to make up all the revenue that the country loses with these cuts. It's a little stupid to even release this plan without also answering that question.