Wow! Elizabeth Warren.......Black Lives Matter Speech

Options
J.J._Evans
J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1ZJahFhOlk

Full speech below...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPEDI2hR0dM

From the 14:10 mark to 40:10 mark

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/09/27/elizabeth-warren-just-gave-the-speech-that-black-lives-matter-activists-have-been-waiting-for/

Elizabeth Warren just gave the speech that Black Lives Matter activists have been waiting for

DEM_2106_Warren-02606-5756.jpg&w=1484

http://www.washingtonpost.com/video/politics/warren-activists-are-fighting-for-their-lives/2015/09/28/92fe1922-65dc-11e5-bdb6-6861f4521205_video.html

In a Sunday speech on racial inequality, Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) called for broad policing reform — including de-escalation training and body cameras for all police officers — and likened the current Black Lives Matter movement to the civil rights movement that won black Americans the right to vote in the 1960s.

"None of us can ignore what is happening in this country. Not when our black friends, family, neighbors literally fear dying in the streets." Warren said. "This is the reality all of us must confront, as uncomfortable and ugly as that reality may be. It comes to us to once again affirm that black lives matter, that black citizens matter, that black families matter."

In the address, a copy of which was provided to The Washington Post prior to her delivery, Warren draws direct parallels between the civil rights movement and the current anti-police-brutality movement, and it sought to link issues on economic inequality with systemic racism. She traces racial economic inequality, citing inequities in the housing system, as well as decrying restrictions to voting rights.

"Economic justice is not — and has never been — sufficient to ensure racial justice. Owning a home won’t stop someone from burning a cross on the front lawn. Admission to a school won’t prevent a beating on the sidewalk outside," Warren declared. "The tools of oppression were woven together, and the civil rights struggle was fought against that oppression wherever it was found — against violence, against the denial of voting rights and against economic injustice."

Warren's address, delivered at the Edward Kennedy Institute in Boston, was perhaps the most full-throated endorsement to date by a federal lawmaker for the ongoing protest movement, and it drew immediate praise from some of the most visible activists.

"Senator Warren's speech clearly and powerfully calls into question America's commitment to black lives by highlighting the role that structural racism has played and continues to play with regard to housing discrimination and voting rights," said DeRay Mckesson, a prominent activist who said he hopes to meet with Warren to further discuss racial injustice. "And Warren, better than any political leader I've yet heard, understands the protests as a matter of life or death — that the American dream has been sustained by an intentional violence and that the uprisings have been the result of years of lived trauma."

Born out of the unrest in Ferguson, Mo., after the police shooting of Michael Brown last summer, the current protest movement has upended the efforts of Democratic presidential candidates to reach out to black voters. The three candidates have faced protests and interruptions at some of their campaign events. Both former Maryland governor Martin O'Malley and Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) have met with some of the most visible activists, and former secretary of state Hillary Rodham Clinton and Mckesson have agreed to meet soon.

The activists have called for a host of police reform measures, including body cameras, de-escalation training, special prosecutors in cases of police killings and a review of police union contracts.

"It is a tragedy when any American cannot trust those who have sworn to protect and serve," Warren said. "This pervasive and persistent distrust isn’t based on myths. It is grounded in the reality of unjustified violence."

But the topics of police violence and reform have yet to gain significant traction in the Republican primary. In a three-hour debate held earlier this month, the topics weren't brought up once — by either the moderators or candidates.

At times, Warren's speech read as if it could have been authored by the activists themselves — unyielding in its criticism of police violence and even invoking the phrase "hands up, don't shoot," a Ferguson rallying cry that conservatives have attacked as a lie because the Justice Department concluded that Michael Brown's hands were most likely not up in the air when he was shot and killed by Darren Wilson.

"We’ve seen sickening videos of unarmed, black Americans cut down by bullets, choked to death while gasping for air — their lives ended by those who are sworn to protect them. Peaceful, unarmed protesters have been beaten. Journalists have been jailed. And, in some cities, white vigilantes with weapons freely walk the streets," Warren said. "And it’s not just about law enforcement either. Just look to the terrorism this summer at Emanuel AME Church [in Charleston, S.C.]. We must be honest: 50 years after John Kennedy and Martin Luther King Jr. spoke out, violence against African Americans has not disappeared."

Comments

• ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She's still batshit crazy
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is one less white person I hate it the world. I'm up to 4

@not_osirus_jenkins

Who are the other 3?
  • TheNeoShell
    TheNeoShell Members Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Options
    That's on point.

I don't think the racists will really, really take it in on a big scale unless We as Black people (and minorities as a whole) impose this understanding on society or a white person who catches white people's attention drops that NEXT LEVEL reality check...

https://youtu.be/xLeIYl5vm90
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I ? with Elizabeth Warren
  • J.J._Evans
    Options
    She's still batshit crazy

I promise you that if I ran this site, your white racist troll ass would definitely not be allowed to have that username.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    What is the 'wow' for?
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Elizabeth Warren should be the President of the United States, if people cared about themselves and not their corporate oligarchs and bosses. I love her, I might write her in.
  • J.J._Evans
    Options
    What is the 'wow' for?

Because it was an excellent and much-needed speech from a respected U.S. Senator. She usually goes after the big banks and corporations, so her deciding to go after ? cops and normal everyday bigots deserved a "wow".
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    J.J._Evans wrote: »
    What is the 'wow' for?

Because it was an excellent and much-needed speech from a respected U.S. Senator. She usually goes after the big banks and corporations, so her deciding to go after ? cops and normal everyday bigots deserved a "wow".

OK, but given her background as a liberal law professor, and her other speeches on big corporations and such, this isn't really surprising.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If this ? was running for president i would be worried don't let her speech fool you she is a liberal which means she's misguided
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    see yall still lovin white people
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Until these no good, racist, murderous ass pigs start getting real jail time its all talk. Call me when the pigs start getting mutullu shakur type years
  • zzombie
    edited September 2015
    Options
    (ob)Scene wrote: »
    zzombie wrote: »
    If this ? was running for president i would be worried don't let her speech fool you she is a liberal which means she's misguided

So instead you prefer conservative republicans whom as opposed to being "misguided," are just straight out racist and prejudiced.

giphy.gif

Conservative republicans can admittedly be racist and say racist things. But the values they govern with the ideals of conservative ideology are to my personal economic and social benefit and I believe they would be unknowingly to the benefits of other black people as well.

Liberalism sounds good and moral from the outside. But the effects of it on black society has been deceptively negative.

We have been voting liberal democrat since the civil rights era and today our sons are ? and our daughters are ? and to make ? worse we are poorer with very little local economic infrastructure of our own.

Yet you want to keep voting for the same ideology. It makes no sense
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So instead you prefer conservative republicans whom as opposed to being "misguided," are just straight out racist and prejudiced.

giphy.gif

Conservative republicans can admittedly be racist and say racist things. But the values they govern with the ideals of conservative ideology are to my personal economic and social benefit and I believe they would be unknowingly to the benefits of other black people as well.

Liberalism sounds good and moral from the outside. But the effects of it on black society has been deceptively negative.

We have been voting liberal democrat since the civil rights era and today our sons are ? and our daughters are ? and to make ? worse we are poorer with very little local economic infrastructure of our own.

Problem is, most republicans who claim to be conservatives.......aren't true conservatives.

Otherwise, they would see that their racist views are detrimental to the country as a whole.

Basically, they're just using the conservative label as a mask to justify their bigotry.
  • zzombie
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »

giphy.gif

Problem is, most republicans who claim to be conservatives.......aren't true conservatives.

Otherwise, they would see that their racist views are detrimental to the country as a whole.

Basically, they're just using the conservative label as a mask to justify their bigotry.

If you accept that then you have to accept the fact that liberals do the same thing. They basically use the liberal/progressive label to mask their paternalistic patronizing racism.

Out of the two ideologies it is my evaluation that liberalism has greater negative impact.
  • (ob)Scene
    (ob)Scene Members Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Uhmm... that's not what history indicates. Why do conservatives shamelessly reimagine our past with machine-like consistency.
  • MzKB
    MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can respect her for speaking openly but
    anybody can speak on things that affect our community when you want the black vote. Was she saying this samething before she decided to run?

Like I said before ? politicians
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MzKB wrote: »
    anybody can speak on things that affect our community when you want the black vote. Was she saying this samething before she decided to run?

um... what is she running for?
  • MzKB
    MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MzKB wrote: »

um... what is she running for?

The black lives
  • zzombie
    edited September 2015
    Options

Uhmm... that's not what history indicates. Why do conservatives shamelessly reimagine our past with machine-like consistency.

history informs the present so right now the bad situation we are in is a result of our decisions of the past.

I will say it again IN 2015 too many BLACK MEN are cowards and ? and too many black women are ? our standards of moral behavior have dropped dramatically and to make ? worse while we have 1 trillion dollars of spending power we don't actually have much wealth OR ECONOMIC CONTROL of our community