Official Halo 5: Guardians Thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Delphas
    Delphas Members Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Multiplayer is GOAT but i'm highly disappointed with the Campaign... I was expecting a epic story mode but it completely fell short. I was hella ? off that Master Chief was only playable for like 30% of the Campaign. Like I said dope Multiplayer but wack Campaign.

That seems to be the method de jure for developers nowadays.
  • ZydecoShawty
    ZydecoShawty Members Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like the campaign honestly, especially the evolution of Cortana becoming the enemy to all organics.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Haven't beat the campaign yet but my only gripe so far is you don't seem to use chief that much think I'm on mission 9
  • Da12RespectA
    Da12RespectA Members Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Multiplayer is GOAT but i'm highly disappointed with the Campaign... I was expecting a epic story mode but it completely fell short. I was hella ? off that Master Chief was only playable for like 30% of the Campaign. Like I said dope Multiplayer but wack Campaign.

Did you play on legendary?
  • AK.aPHillYisILL
    AK.aPHillYisILL Members Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭
    Options

Did you play on legendary?

I played on heroic... I'm going to play on legendary my second go around just to get some more of the achievements but even in all honesty playing on legendary is not going to change my views with how I feel about the Campaign on Halo 5. It's my least favorite Campaign out of all the Halo games. I know Multiplayer is a big part of Halo and it's great but Halo use to be about the story mode as well and they failed IMO. The short and dull story mode and the lack of play with Master Chief was the biggest cons for me about Halo 5.
  • ZydecoShawty
    ZydecoShawty Members Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Halo stories didn't become understandable until 343 took over and went further in-depth into the stories with those added cut scenes on the Master Chief Collection and the Halo Channel. Before that, the Halo series was just a big ass blank under Bungie. Master Chief already didn't have a personality to begin with, Cortana and the Covenant are more of the personality of the Halo series than him. Muthafuckas talking like Master Chief constantly provided insight on missions like Snake and Otacon did on the Metal Gear series and ? . Master Chief was nothing more than a walking gun until Halo 5.
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I might cop this.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think that black dude suppose to be Jeezy because he look like him
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    I think that black dude suppose to be Jeezy because he look like him

I think he's supposed to be going the route of Master Chief with the whole strong, silent type, but he's being cast against a protagonist who has had four games worth of exposition written about his stoic personality. Locke comes off dry as hell as a result and proves definitively why this "silent protagonist that the player can project off of" needs to die as a storytelling device.

The game is played by adults. None of us is running around like, "Yeeeeah, I'm Spartan Locke! ? 's about to get real, son!" Give me someone interesting to play as especially if he's the leader. Eight characters in the game, and dude is the dullest one. REALLY?

All this stems from the game being written poorly as ? . They presented the game as Chief vs. Locke. Happens once in game. The promotional material in the special edition is Locke as this elite assassin with shoot on sight orders for Chief. Imagine if several missions ended with Locke versus Chief fights or Blue Team vs. Osiris instead of the Warden. Even better, Blue vs. Osiris before Blue escapes at the last second THEN Osiris has to get busy versus the Warden.

Tada! 343 would've have lived up to the ads AND cover art.

Instead, this head-to-head ad campaign is explored in their first interaction and it is a conversation that Chief turns into a fight cutscene AFTER a cutscene where Locke is all "Every target is just 'another target.'" That goes back and illustrates the problem at large with Locke's character: he says some ? like it's all rules then backtracks with "You're not the only one here because of him" like he's conflicted but his demeanor is exactly the same.

What's the point of even taking his helmet off if his ? expression never changes? The player gets conflict from Buck and Nathan Fillion's ? expressions as well as their words. Locke is the blank face emoji (-_-).

The one thing that's trill in the story isn't explored fully. Roland's question early on is the biggest question in the game, and it is not addressed. I admit I haven't followed all the advertising this time around, so there may be story elements I'm missing--and that's a problem in itself if you need supplementary material to understand the story presented. I should not have to boot up a movie then require a book, Facebook app, and metagame to understand it (See Cloverfield).
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll try MP the campaign wack AF..