reymysterio2.png

rvd-titles.png

Better Overall Wrestler: Rey Mysterio vs Rob Van Dam 16 votes

Rey Mysterio
31%
jonoJabu_RuleSuperSoakerRoronoaDelphas 5 votes
Rob Van Dam
68%
kingofkingzherbalism101PanchoYoSanchoAlready Home_17TheBoyRoTheIraqsilverfoxxblu197Peezy_JenkinsBangEm_Bart Tsotsi Cape Town 11 votes

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rey Mysterio
    [img]http://orig03.deviantart.net/db5d/f/2011/037/a/c/rob_van_dam_? _champion_by_paynexkiller-d38yqni.gif[/img]

tumblr_nlo5gsA69J1uodpcio1_400.gif
  • jono
    Options
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rob Van Dam
    Not even close, RVD was the face of ECW in its peak and is one of the great innovators pro wrestling has ever seen..
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jono,
    GOAT thread

I hate u rite now bruh lmaooo
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Rob Van Dam
    extreme bias, idc

some peoples list of heroes contain hogan, warrior, etc

mine contain sting, as well as jeff hardy and rvd
  • jono
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Rey Mysterio
    Rey is top 5 babyface all time.

Tremendous moveset, could adapt to any match type or opponent whether you are another luchador like Juvi or Psicosis, a mat based wrestler like Benoit or Angle, or a WWE heavyweight like Cena or Undertaker Rey could have great matches with anyone.

Both are spot monkeys but Rey had a little bit more creativity because RVD has more of a formula, he has "hits" like the Split-Legged Moonsault or the Rolling Thunder that you knew were coming every match.

Rey also had more classic feuds in every promotion. Dean Malenko, Psicosis (ECW and WCW), Juvi, Eddie (in both WCW and WWE), Chris Jericho (in both WCW and WWE), CM Punk etc

The #1 reason why those feuds worked is because of Rey. He is such a sympathy magnet it was easy to get heat off him. You suck if you can't work with Rey, i haven't seen anyone who is a half decent worker have a ? feud or match with Rey.
    tumblr_n1qjr8azc61tt2jjyo1_r1_400.gif

tumblr_nko3fy8gtX1ql0k28o3_250.gif
  • blu197
    Options
    Rob Van Dam
    This is all that needs to be posted
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxIwuUcuQOQ
  • blu197
    Options
    Rob Van Dam
    And lmaoo @ Rey being a top 5 babyface, being over with only 6 year olds =/= top 5 babyface ever...

DB
    CM Punk
    Mankind
    Eddie
    Jeff Hardy

Those are 5 names that quickly popped in my head that are easily bigger babyfaces, and that's not even including the top legendary ones like Rock,Warrior,Hogan,Savage,Stone Cold,Sting ect..
  • blu197
    Options
    Rob Van Dam
    Hell I even think Thuganomics Cena is a bigger babyface than Rey
  • jono
    Options
    Rey Mysterio
    Rey worked exclusively as a face for over 10 years. IIRC he never turned heel. There was a dark patch when he was unmasked where I think WCW wanted him to work heel but i wasnt watching WCW then so I can't be sure.

Nobody outside outside of maybe Ricky Steamboat (who NEVER worked heel), Sting, Hulk Hogan and Bruno Sammartino have done that. Cena just crossed the 10 year mark last year.

Everyone else flip flopped characters to prevent from getting boring but never Rey never got boring and as long as he was physically capable he could work that same gimmick forever.

Dude is 5'6" less than 200lbs and a bigger draw than RVD. There is a reason theres been WWE big budget PPVs main evented by Rey Mysterio Theres a reason he won the rumble and won multiple world titles. Hes one of the most famous luchadors on the planet, if not the most famous by now. Rey is still main eventing shows as we speak.

Lol @ you thinking Hulkamaniacs were grown men or that the Little Stingers were adults. You really don't know ? . And weren't you just ? on Jeff Hardy? You clowning yourself...yet again.

RVD was never even ECW world champion until they resurrected the title in 2006. Also your assertion that RVD was the "face of ECW" is also false, that's clearly Tommy Dreamer and has been forever. RVD top 5 ECW acts for sure, he should be #1 but Taz, Douglas, Raven, Sandman, Sabu, the Dudleys etc all main evented more than him.

That's the sad truth. RVD came into the WWE as a main event dude while Rey had to start over from the Cruiserweight Championship and Rey still won a World title before Rob did. Rey was a focal point of Wrestlemania, Rob was never really even in a highlighted match until he won MITB.

No matter how you slice it Rey is a bigger star than most people you think are big stars. Rey is money, period.
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rob Van Dam
    Both great performers but ? rvd>>>
  • blu197
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Rob Van Dam
    Idgaf how many years Rey worked as a babyface, he wasn't bigger than any of the guys I named...

Hogan,Jeff and Sting were more over with Teenagers and men than Rey was, Rey was only over with the lil Pablo and Miguels of the world, ? wasn't ? with Rey like that and neither was majority of white folks...

And stop bringing up Title Reigns like it's a legit source as to why X wrestler is better than Y wrestler, you do know its scripted right?? Rey with the main strap was a ? joke and he was one of the worst WWE/WHC ever, him beating guys like Big Show and Batista was a huge slap in the face to fans intelligence... And WWE was never down on RVD, he would've had more Title runs but just like Jeff and Scott Hall it was drug issues and unpredictability of being reliable as the top guy was the reason why he didn't get real chances with the belt, RVD got the WWE strap taken away bc of a run in with the law, Rey only got his big push bc Eddie died..
  • blu197
    Options
    Rob Van Dam
    Oh and Rey is certified ASS on the mic
  • jono
    Options
    Rey Mysterio
    blu197 wrote: »

RVD is equally bad. And Rey throws realistic looking punches.
  • blu197
    Options
    Rob Van Dam
    jono wrote: »

RVD>>>>>>Rey on the mic..

The chubby mexican migget throws more realistic punches than RVD who is trained in kickboxing, Tae Kwon Do, Aikido, Kendo and Karate?? Whatever you say bruh....
  • jono
    Options
    Rey Mysterio

The chubby mexican migget throws more realistic punches than RVD who is trained in kickboxing, Tae Kwon Do, Aikido, Kendo and Karate?? Whatever you say bruh....

And yet looks like he couldn't bruise an infant with a punch. RVD is one of my favorites, always has been but this is an A vs A+ argument.

RVD is in better shape TODAY and of the two would be better for your current program but ultimately this is about the entirety of their careers and Rey is a bigger star, bigger draw, been in bigger feuds and matches and won more straps.

Being popular amongst bingo hall drunks may be cool but Rey is superhero status.

For the record, the babyface should be looking to have a large child and female fanbase, the reason is theres more money in it. Its why Jeff Hardy was so successful. He and Rey have the same fan base.
  • blu197
    Options
    Rob Van Dam

ultimately this is about the entirety of their careers and Rey is a bigger star, bigger draw, been in bigger feuds and matches and won more straps.

If this is what you're basing your vote on then stop naming these threads "Better Overall Wrestler" and name them Better Overall Career.. and i dont remember any big fueds Rey was in, his cruiserweight fueds were better than his main strap fueds..
  • jono
    Options
    Rey Mysterio

ultimately this is about the entirety of their careers and Rey is a bigger star, bigger draw, been in bigger feuds and matches and won more straps.

If this is what you're basing your vote on then stop naming these threads "Better Overall Wrestler" and name them Better Overall Career.. and i dont remember any big fueds Rey was in, his cruiserweight fueds were better than his main strap fueds..

You really are dumb. You the ? that started all this popularity ? . Match for match Rey STILL better than RVD. I went through all that already refer to my previous posts. RVD never had a main event feud period.

He was in main event matches going back to 2002 but no staying power in that spot. He was world champion (in the 3rd match of the PPV against Edge but whatever).RVD's most famous feud is with Jerry Lynn from 1998-2000 and after his feud with Sabu that was really the only major feud he was involved in.

Rey had an epic feud with Jericho when Jericho was collecting masks in WCW. He also had an epic series with Dean Malenko around the time he first came on the scene.

Who did RVD have a great feud with? I know he was in the same ring with Rock and Austin but he wasn't in any sort of proper feud with them.

We know about RVD vs Lynn but i counter with Rey vs Eddie or Rey vs Jericho or Rey vs Punk or Rey vs Juvi you lost B.
  • jono
    Options
    Rey Mysterio
    Rey also had a dope feud with Chavo in 2006, his feud with JBL in 2005, and how can I forget his feud with Matt Hardy?

You want single matches? Rey vs Angle at Summerslam 2002 was the opening match and that ? was craaaaaaaazy.

(to be fair Benoit vs RVD from that same show was just as epic if not more so. They put on a clinic out there)
  • blu197
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Rob Van Dam
    What did I start? Your simpleton ass said Rey is a top 5 babyface ever which is cleary ? and you're the one that keeps rambling about fueds and Title runs...

Fueds and Titles is more of a career/politic discussion NOT a better wrestler discussion when it pertains to in ring wrestling, athleticism, character and mic ability...

Cena has had a better career than Christian, Beniot and Owen Hart but is he the better wrestler?? No... Your reasoning for picking Rey has everything to do with title runs and being a "superhero" babyface for kids but at the same time ignore his major unrealistic look, moveset and ASS mic skills...
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    Rob Van Dam
    i agree with rey being a top baby face and idk why ? act like being popular amongst kids is a detriment, they are a big part of it.

but ur trippin if u think rvd wasnt the face of ecw, idc if he didnt have a heavyweight title reign, that "whole ? show" ? was no gimmick. maybe them guys main evented more, but from 1997 til the end rvd was the main draw, and isnt that ecw's most popular period? it led to rvd being one of the most over when he came in to wwe, nobody was thinkin bout a tommy dreamer or raven by then. theres a slim chance ecw could have lasted years longer if rvd didnt break his leg that year and faced mike awesome, he made the tv title more important than the whc, i understand ? who call rvd a spot monkey but i disagree, i feel he displayed great technical wrestling in ecw especially. and lets not act like he didnt have good rivalries and matches in wwe also. plus the 619 itself is worse than any cena or rvd punch. when it comes to rey being more of a main eventer than rvd i mean of course, this is wwe we talkin about. they watered down rvd style and he didnt fully adjust for 1, also just like with db no matter how good of a wrestler he is, its clear to see they saw him as a b+, rvd should have easily had runs in 2001-2004 imo. with rey, he's a hit with kids, a top draw especially for hispanics, ? id argue on the level of hardy and maybe cena, no brainer there. the only thing rey has over rvd is more classic feuds as u stated. rvd could adapt to any style as well and it shouldnt be looked against him that he came into wwe in a higher status. if they had the same confidence in him he could easily main event the same events rey did imo. as many great matches as rey may have, ill still slightly take rvd/lynn over it.
  • jono
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Rey Mysterio
    The Hilo
    49fc77d0794181263af0dcc7e279799a22cfd596_hq.gif

The Coast 2 Coast is the best move either of them use.
    fYJMtk8.gif

Pure Athleticism? RVD all day. Dude was wild. I wouldnt go so far as to say WWE cut the legs off him. Its obvious he works a fast paced style. Little emphasis on selling and storytelling but more emphasis on action.

He never changed up anything or tried to adapt. Stylistically, RVD enjoyed that ? element too much.

Vince could have tried to put the belt on RVD in 2002/2003 when the brand split happened but he was on RAW with HBK, Goldberg, HHH, Nash, Steiner, Rock and all those guys. If he were on SD...maybe.

He got to SD just after Heyman left IIRC.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rob Van Dam
    Rey worked exclusively as a face for over 10 years. IIRC he never turned heel. There was a dark patch when he was unmasked where I think WCW wanted him to work heel but i wasnt watching WCW then so I can't be sure.

Nobody outside outside of maybe Ricky Steamboat (who NEVER worked heel), Sting, Hulk Hogan and Bruno Sammartino have done that. Cena just crossed the 10 year mark last year.

Everyone else flip flopped characters to prevent from getting boring but never Rey never got boring and as long as he was physically capable he could work that same gimmick forever.

Dude is 5'6" less than 200lbs and a bigger draw than RVD. There is a reason theres been WWE big budget PPVs main evented by Rey Mysterio Theres a reason he won the rumble and won multiple world titles. Hes one of the most famous luchadors on the planet, if not the most famous by now. Rey is still main eventing shows as we speak.

Lol @ you thinking Hulkamaniacs were grown men or that the Little Stingers were adults. You really don't know ? . And weren't you just ? on Jeff Hardy? You clowning yourself...yet again.

RVD was never even ECW world champion until they resurrected the title in 2006. Also your assertion that RVD was the "face of ECW" is also false, that's clearly Tommy Dreamer and has been forever. RVD top 5 ECW acts for sure, he should be #1 but Taz, Douglas, Raven, Sandman, Sabu, the Dudleys etc all main evented more than him.

That's the sad truth. RVD came into the WWE as a main event dude while Rey had to start over from the Cruiserweight Championship and Rey still won a World title before Rob did. Rey was a focal point of Wrestlemania, Rob was never really even in a highlighted match until he won MITB.

No matter how you slice it Rey is a bigger star than most people you think are big stars. Rey is money, period.

Eddie died
    that was the reason

anyway I think RVD was better but mysterio great as well

I have much respect for both. something a few of you ? (blu) refuse to give
  • jono
    Options
    Rey Mysterio
    Explain the other titles then? Eddie died 3 times?
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    Rob Van Dam
    despite rey's popularity ion think vince believed in him at all either, he had to be convinced or some ? then booked rey poorly.