A new era of Computing: Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book (10/6 Microsoft Event)

Peace_79
Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
For my Creatives and fellow corporate professionals... and anyone else who likes Ill ? Tech
I present to you the Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book...

Surface Pro 4

Microsoft Official Page

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/devices/surface-pro-4

Hands On Impressions

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/6/9461259/microsoft-surface-pro-4-announced-hands-on-video-release-date

https://youtu.be/6Gh4o9IqeEU

Surface Book

Microsoft Official Page

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/devices/surface-book

Hands On Impressions

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/6/9456137/microsoft-surface-book-laptop-hands-on

https://youtu.be/XVfOe5mFbAE

////////////////////////////////////////

The Microsoft event also included details on a new fitness wearable, a phone that is also full blown desktop computer (plug in peripherals and viola), and an Augmented Reality headset - HoloLens.

But the most exciting products discussed are the family of Surface Tablet/Computers. For the type of work I do - this stuff is amazing.

Full event below -

https://youtu.be/Fel-ZrlhvgE?t=12m30s

You can catch a summary of all the highlights via the following link

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/6/9460935/microsoft-event-windows-10-device-announcements

Comments

• Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    yea that surface book caught me by surprise. didn't expect it. I purchased the surface pro 2 and I thought it was exceptional. It basically had the portability and battery life of a tablet, but also had the productivity of a laptop running full windows. so I'm certain the pro 4 improved in every aspect being 2 generations ahead. but the surface book was captivating. it basically redefines laptop computing. and it has a dedicated NVidia gpu graphics option as well. I'm saving up now because this will be my next laptop. ever since Nadella took over, Microsoft has been hitting out of the park. they are really the ones innovating. Apple's keynote was basically child's play in comparison
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both look cool, but I'm happy with my SP3.

Actually that might be the best thing about the announcement. If you want to jump into the Surface user space, you'll probably be able to get a SP3 for a really good price. It's worth the money. It's a great piece of tech.
  • Peace_79
    Both look cool, but I'm happy with my SP3.

Actually that might be the best thing about the announcement. If you want to jump into the Surface user space, you'll probably be able to get a SP3 for a really good price. It's worth the money. It's a great piece of tech.

Yeah I have the SP3 and I love it. Definitely not worth an upgrade to the sp4. But that Surface Book looks amazing - especially the 14" screen, 12 Hr battery life, lighter tablet, Apple quality keyboard/ trackpad, and improved internals.

I have to get my hands on one to decide though..

Decisions .
  • The Lonious Monk
    I was looking this up on youtube and this video popped up. ? is funny and true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jTk3Fv9ido
  • Peace_79
    LMAO. Sad but true.

Cats more concerned with the logo than the price or product itself.

This Mircorsoft event puts Apple's event to shame.
  • kingofkingz
    kingofkingz Members Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking about gettin this but i only wanna use it for games.. i get a 40% discount with my job
  • The Lonious Monk
    Why would you get this for gaming though. I'm pretty sure you could get a better gaming rig for cheaper. You can play games on these devices, but that's not really what they are for.
  • kingofkingz
    I have a gaming rig. I'd get this for when I'm traveling & want to play PC games
  • The Lonious Monk
    Sorry, I meant gaming laptop. With the Surface you're paying for perks like the digitizer and the tablet form factor that you don't really need for gaming.
  • Peace_79
    Sorry, I meant gaming laptop. With the Surface you're paying for perks like the digitizer and the tablet form factor that you don't really need for gaming.

Basically.

You are paying $1900 just to get a decent gaming GPU. Depending on how heavy of a gamer you are, you may need more horsepower or RAM, which could Place you at the $2100 or $2700 price points before taxes.

You can't use the tablet form factor, touch screen or pen input for gaming purposes - so if that is your only reason, you could probably make a more sound investment.

But, hey - if you just like the thing, knock yourself out. I think I am getting one myself.

• kingofkingz
    Peace_79 wrote: »

Basically.

You are paying $1900 just to get a decent gaming GPU. Depending on how heavy of a gamer you are, you may need more horsepower or RAM, which could Place you at the $2100 or $2700 price points before taxes.

You can't use the tablet form factor, touch screen or pen input for gaming purposes - so if that is your only reason, you could probably make a more sound investment.

But, hey - if you just like the thing, knock yourself out. I think I am getting one myself.

Looks like a no buy for me since, i wouldn't be able to use the touch screen or pen

But the surface book looks dope as ?
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    I'm really not feeling that 3k pricetag for a Hololens dev kit but I'm already scheming on a way to get my company to buy me one for R&D.
  • Peace_79
    Apparently, you can get hands on with most of these devices at a Microsoft Store, today.

I may have to hit one up soon
  • The Lonious Monk
    Damn, I wish they would drop that new Surface Pen early. I lost mine and would rather get the new.
  • kingofkingz
    Apparently, you can get hands on with most of these devices at a Microsoft Store, today.

I may have to hit one up soon

Ayy post a review of the surface book when u do bruh
  • Peace_79
    Damn, I wish they would drop that new Surface Pen early. I lost mine and would rather get the new.

Word I don't know if the new pen is compatible with the SP3. But guess I don't see why it wouldn't be...
  • The Lonious Monk

Word I don't know if the new pen is compatible with the SP3. But guess I don't see why it wouldn't be...

It is, but it's not necessarily going to make any real improvements on the SP3. I just like the button layout better.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was looking this up on youtube and this video popped up. ? is funny and true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jTk3Fv9ido

yeah apple is know for that ? . Steve jobs said himself that netbooks weren't good for anything. 2 years later they drop the macbook air.. i was like, seriously!!?!?!?!!...

side note, if anybody is interested in that kind of stuff, the surface pro 2 and 3 runs osx better than the macbook airs do. Mine is like having a touch screen macbook pro.

@Peace_79 tell us what you think about that, when you cop it.
  • kingofkingz
    Is their a way to put windows 7 on it? I hate this windows 10 ? os
  • Peace_79
    Lol. If you are looking to run Windows 7, this is not the device for you.
  • Ounceman
    edited October 2015
    Lol. If you are looking to run Windows 7, this is not the device for you.

basically. and im not even sure windows 7 supports continuum. which is a crucial element in taking advantage of some of the capabilities on this device. esp. using it in clipboard mode when you detach it.
  • Peace_79
    Bruh... Windows 7 has infantile touch capabilities compared to 10 ... Even 8.

It isn't optimized for touch at all

• Ounceman
    edited October 2015
    Bruh... Windows 7 has infantile touch capabilities compared to 10 ... Even Especially 8.

It isn't optimized for touch at all

True. But Microsoft developed 8 with the sole intention of having touch to be primary focal point of the entire os. but as we all know, it wasnt received postively. which is why in 10 some of those changes were dialed back in an attempt to pacify mouse and keyboard users. yet, some of those touch-centric elements still remain. only difference is they are not forced on the user. you have the option of whether you want to use them or not. so with that, comes the ability of utilizing a mouse/keyboard and touch experience at whatever time the user finds either ideal. which makes the surface book a perfect device for an os like 10. furthermore, it also emphasizes the question of why someone wanting 7 would be looking at something like this
  • Peace_79
    edited October 2015
    ^^^ Exactly.

I loved 8, but i had been waiting for that OS for years struggling through 7 on my Tablet PCs.

As you said tho, we were a small share of the market and the average consumer just didn't get it

And again, complete waste of money to buy this and run 7 on it. Lol

Just get a regular laptop
  • kingofkingz
    What exactly did u guys love about Windows 8 so much? I got that installed on one of my touch laptops & i hate that ? so much..

It takes forever to start up.