A Halloween Tradition: White People in Blackface

Options
Delphas
Delphas Members Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
It's that time of year. When will these ? be properly punished, get fired, get the ? kicked out of them, ? up and use that Beijing hair ? and get stuck like that for the rest of their lives learn?
pic.jpg?w=770&h=414
DECATUR, Ala. - A representative from Decatur City Schools called a news conference this morning in reference to a controversial picture on social media. During the conference, Superintendent Ed Nichols read a letter of apology from the teacher involved.

Heath Morrow, a 5th-grade teacher at Chestnut Grove Elementary School, went to a private Halloween party over the weekend with his wife. Morrow and his wife dressed as Kanye West and Kim Kardashian.

The photo was posted to Morrow's wife's Facebook page. Though the photo has now been taken down, it initially spread from there to other social media platforms, including other news outlets.

Nichols said the district is investigating the incident, but he wouldn't comment on the teacher's current employment status with the school.

Comments

• kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I knew Alabama would be the first state to show they ass. Once their college parties start up, them white folks gonna pull out all the stops.
  • Delphas
    Options
    And guess what?
    DECATUR, Ala. -Decatur City School confirms to WHNT News 19 that the teacher in the center of a racial debate will see no repercussions for his Halloween costume.

Heath Morrow, a teacher in a Decatur elementary school system, and his wife dressed as Kanye West and wife Kim Kardashian for a private Halloween party. The picture made national news sparking a racial debate.

Superintendent Nichols spoke about the matter Monday morning.

“We are saddened as a district by the action of a member of our staff that have offended members of our community, and most of all, have taken away from the focus of our children and the good things that are going on in our school district and with our children,” Nichols said.

He wrote a very nice apology letter to show he's sorry.
    LL

SMH @ that anyone who knows my heart line.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Ehhh I don't think this is that big a deal. He was dressed up as Kanye West. That's not blackface. Blackface is when white people put dark paint on their face and use stereotypes and racist characteristics to make fun of black people. It may have been stupid, but it's not the same as when white people have "Black Parties" and everyone comes in black face dressed as gangbangers and hoodrats.
  • purpngold
    purpngold Members Posts: 7,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they'll do this ? then use movie white chicks as defense
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Westie wrote: »
    Ehhh I don't think this is that big a deal. He was dressed up as Kanye West. That's not blackface. Blackface is when white people put dark paint on their face and use stereotypes and racist characteristics to make fun of black people. It may have been stupid, but it's not the same as when white people have "Black Parties" and everyone comes in black face dressed as gangbangers and hoodrats.

Of course you don't.

Why is it a big deal? Was the dude lampooning black culture? Was he caricaturing the black race? Was he doing something blatantly disrespectful to blacks in general? No, he was dressing up as a specific black person. That's not black face. Ya'll need to stop whining about everything a white person does and stop trying to classify it under ? that doesn't apply.

Is he stupid for doing what he did? Yes, because, unless he lives under a rock, he had to know that some black person somewhere would complain about that ? and turn it into a big thing. Is what he did racist? I don't know. I mean if all he was doing was putting paint on his face to make the costume more believable, I don't see how you call that racism. It's like some of you want to water that word down til it has no meaning anymore.

• The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I'm not an apologist. I'm just not irrational and overly sensitive like most of ya'll. So this dude dressed up like Kanye West and used brown paint to sell the costume. Who gives a ? ? Why does that bother ya'll so much? Ya'll worry so much about what white people do to the point that any little they do becomes an incident.

What is racist about what did? Answer that. You can't because there isn't anything inherently racist with him using paint to enhance a costume. This Halloween, hundreds of white people will go out there with foil in their mouths, braids in their hair, and oversized clothes. They'll escape the notice of most of you because they were too lazy to bother with the paint even though their "ghetto costume" should be 100 times more offensive than what this guy did.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Westie wrote: »

Of course you don't.

Why is it a big deal? Was the dude lampooning black culture? Was he caricaturing the black race? Was he doing something blatantly disrespectful to blacks in general? No, he was dressing up as a specific black person. That's not black face. Ya'll need to stop whining about everything a white person does and stop trying to classify it under ? that doesn't apply.

Is he stupid for doing what he did? Yes, because, unless he lives under a rock, he had to know that some black person somewhere would complain about that ? and turn it into a big thing. Is what he did racist? I don't know. I mean if all he was doing was putting paint on his face to make the costume more believable, I don't see how you call that racism. It's like some of you want to water that word down til it has no meaning anymore.

That's not why he's stupid. Yours and this guys blatant disregard for American history concerning black face is rather disgusting.

Instead of charging Blacks with what you call "whining" how about charging with whites with making better decisions and being insensitive?

I mean why is it so, hard for folks to simply do the right thing? If, you know something is possibly offensive then opt to leave it the ? alone.

Forgot to add. He looks like a ? damned idiot!

• _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options

So you don't see the stereotypes within that pic? When tf has Kanye wore a fitted cap with a blazer? This was a subtle shot on how whites view a black man as president , no different from DW Griffith's "Birth of a Nation".
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    I'm not an apologist. I'm just not irrational and overly sensitive like most of ya'll. So this dude dressed up like Kanye West and used brown paint to sell the costume. Who gives a ? ? Why does that bother ya'll so much? Ya'll worry so much about what white people do to the point that any little they do becomes an incident.

What is racist about what did? Answer that. You can't because there isn't anything inherently racist with him using paint to enhance a costume. This Halloween, hundreds of white people will go out there with foil in their mouths, braids in their hair, and oversized clothes. They'll escape the notice of most of you because they were too lazy to bother with the paint even though their "ghetto costume" should be 100 times more offensive than what this guy did.

Who's being irrational?

Who gives a ? ?
    People that know their history give a ? .

Why does that bother ya'll so much?

It's bothersome because, when you give people a pass for mocking your culture it opens the door to stereotyping. Which, at this point in the game Blacks do not need more of.

No we don't. If, would seem WHITES are much more preoccupied with what we are doing. You know to the point they are willing to dress up in black face.

What is racist about what did?
    I don't know if it's racists or not. What I do know it's insensitive and the act of WHITES dosing themselves in black\brown face paint has a history deeply rooted in racism. Stop your foolishness and implications of people who see through this as being idiots who cannot also see the subtle jabs of our culture being appropriated, and outright mocked in the name of Halloween ( A white holiday) or a some random frat party.

• The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

That's not why he's stupid. Yours and this guys blatant disregard for American history concerning black face is rather disgusting.

Instead of charging Blacks with what you call "whining" how about charging with whites with making better decisions and being insensitive?

I mean why is it so, hard for folks to simply do the right thing? If, you know something is possibly offensive then opt to leave it the ? alone.

No. I'm not disregarding history. I'm just not making some false historical parallel like ya'll are. Blackface was not and never has been about white people dressing up as specific black people for Halloween. Blackface was about white depicting themselves as black to promote negative and harmful stereotypes of black people for the amusement of other white people. That is not what this guy is doing.

Yes, whether he meant it in an offensive way or not, he should have had enough sense to know that some black people would have found it offensive. It's still some trivial ? and not what you're making it to be.

And complaining about ? like this is 'whining.' We got white run state and local governments purposely enacting measures that literally hurt the black community and the same people on here flagging me for my comments and calling me an apologist stay silent about that. But let some dumb ? like this come up and everyone wants to cry about whites not changing their ways. lol Are ya'll ? serious? What would happen if people put the same effort in attending county council meetings to make sure they didn't unfairly divert funds away from black schools that they put into Twitter shaming every CAC that makes an unwise decision like this.

gns wrote: »

That's exactly wtf that cracka did genius

No, it's not. He was specifically dressing up as Kanye West. Are ya'll really so simple minded you can't see the difference here?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    _Goldie_ wrote: »

So you don't see the stereotypes within that pic? When tf has Kanye wore a fitted cap with a blazer? This was a subtle shot on how whites view a black man as president , no different from DW Griffith's "Birth of a Nation".

lol My ? , I'm not an expert on Kanye's wardrobe. He said he was Kanye and his girl was Kim and he has a Kanye for president sign which is a direct reference to Kanye saying he was going to run for president. You are reaching with this comparison.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

No. I'm not disregarding history. I'm just not making some false historical parallel like ya'll are. Blackface was not and never has been about white people dressing up as specific black people for Halloween. Blackface was about white depicting themselves as black to promote negative and harmful stereotypes of black people for the amusement of other white people. That is not what this guy is doing.

Yes, whether he meant it in an offensive way or not, he should have had enough sense to know that some black people would have found it offensive. It's still some trivial ? and not what you're making it to be.

And complaining about ? like this is 'whining.' We got white run state and local governments purposely enacting measures that literally hurt the black community and the same people on here flagging me for my comments and calling me an apologist stay silent about that. But let some dumb ? like this come up and everyone wants to cry about whites not changing their ways. lol Are ya'll ? serious? What would happen if people put the same effort in attending county council meetings to make sure they didn't unfairly divert funds away from black schools that they put into Twitter shaming every CAC that makes an unwise decision like this.

No, it's not. He was specifically dressing up as Kanye West. Are ya'll really so simple minded you can't see the difference here?

? !!!

You aren't making sense the first.

You have no idea what this guys intentions are. However, if I had to guess his intentions weren't good knowing the history of black face. It being halloween isn't an excuse. That is a White guy in Black Face. End of story.

Black History and the negative affects of Black face and the racism attached to it is trivial? Surely you jest? It's you who are making a complex social issue and racially sensitive act, trivial.

? !! You clown. Name names. How do you make claims of what people do offline or online with no proof? You dumb ? . Online I stay in threads concerning all things Black. Offline, I aint discussing a damn thing with you agent provocateurs about my personal dealings.
  • TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Is it insensitive? Yes.
    Is he being racist? No.
    Should he have done it? No.
    Am I offended? No
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Who's being irrational?

Anyone who is drawing a parallel between this and historical blackface. They factually are not the same thing.
    People that know their history give a ? .

Knowing history and understanding it are two different things. If you're aware that white people once made fun of black people by painting their faces. You know history. If you think what this guy is doing is the same thing, you don't understand history.
    It's bothersome because, when you give people a pass for mocking your culture it opens the door to stereotyping. Which, at this point in the game Blacks do not need more of.

No we don't. If, would seem WHITES are much more preoccupied with what we are doing. You know to the point they are willing to dress up in black face.

Whose culture is he mocking? The culture of Kanye? Again, if that was his costume and he was saying that he was dressed as a "black man" or a "rap guy." You'd have a point, but that's not what he's doing. He's dressed as Kanye, the same guy they spend millions of dollars supporting and give award after award to even when snubbing the hell out of other deserving black artists.
    I don't know if it's racists or not. What I do know it's insensitive and the act of WHITES dosing themselves in black\brown face paint has a history deeply rooted in racism. Stop your foolishness and implications of people who see through this as being idiots who cannot also see the subtle jabs of our culture being appropriated, and outright mocked in the name of Halloween ( A white holiday) or a some random frat party.

What culture did he appropriate? That's how you're being irrational. Him dressing up as Kanye isn't stealing Hip Hop. Your whole stance is that everything you do and experience happens through glasses tinted by racism. That's how it is for all of us because have to live in this racist society, so we almost always attribute a racial component to the things we encounter. We're not wrong for that because that's the natural consequence of our history and experience in America. The problem and the reason why ? like this always ? ya'll off is because you expect white people to see things through those same glasses. They don't. It's as simple as that. That's what white privilege is all about. They don't put the same consideration into things that we do because they don't have to. As soon as black people understand that, we can move away from being hurt by trivial ? like this and put our effort into combating the stuff that truly harms us.
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, whether he meant it in an offensive way or not, he should have had enough sense to know that some black people would have found it offensive.

I agree with this.
    This ? above me stay with the ? opinions. Just ? dude. I hate you apologists with a passion I swear

No one can tell you what you can legitimately feel insulted by but if this was 'inherently' insulting it wasn't just insulting to you, it was insulting to black people in general. So you can't take issue with The Lonious Monk or other black people not taking offense when it applies just as much to them as it does to you. It's not an insult to you, it's an insult (if it was intended to be an insult) to black people in general so you're not the authority on whether or not it was appropriate, you'd only be the authority if it was directed at you specifically. I probably sound like a complete idiot. If I have a point it's that I can't say you're wrong to have found it distasteful and he should have considered how it might affect some people but you can't have an issue with other black people not having an issue with it when it applies as much to them as it does to you. However offensive it might be, it's not worse than the disrespect black people show other black people every day.
    It's bothersome because, when you give people a pass for mocking your culture it opens the door to stereotyping.

I don't think his intention was to mock black people, he was dressing up as a specific black person.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    ? !!!

You aren't making sense the first.

You have no idea what this guys intentions are. However, if I had to guess his intentions weren't good knowing the history of black face. It being halloween isn't an excuse. That is a White guy in Black Face. End of story.

Black History and the negative affects of Black face and the racism attached to it is trivial? Surely you jest? It's you who are making a complex social issue and racially sensitive act, trivial.

? !! You clown. Name names. How do you make claims of what people do offline or online with no proof? You dumb ? . Online I stay in threads concerning all things Black. Offline, I aint discussing a damn thing with you agent provocateurs about my personal dealings.

lol ? , calm down. You acting like a little girl and telling me to shut up and calling silly names doesn't make your stance anymore logical.

I specifically said "If" this guy just used the paint to sell the costume, it's not black face. He said he dressed up like Kanye. Based on the picture, that what it looks like he did. I'm simply not reading a bunch of extra ? into it to satisfy own preconceptions about the racist nature of whites like you are.

Black face isn't trivial. White people using black face to misrepresent and hurt the perception of black people isn't trivial. But for the 5th time. A white person dressing up as a specific black celebrity is not black face any more than Dave Chappelle using white paint to pretend to be a white news reporter is "White Face."

As for the rest of that ? , blah blah blah. Again, we put up topics about the kinda ? that I mentioned and those die in like 5 posts. Something like this will go on for pages. You and other care so much about "Blacks" then tell me why those kinds of things don't get the same attention. And I wasn't calling out any one in particular. But I was pointing out the fact that Blacks will put that kinda fervor in ruining a white person for something stupid like this, but clearly don't do the same when it comes to White people actively hurting our community. If they did, there wouldn't be majority black communities with white council members making decisions that hurt the people within that community.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    Kai wrote: »
    we can't have no safe zone without these ? and bootlickers showing up huh? i see i'm gonna have start banning m/fs cuz this is getting ridiculous. go to ? reddit or stormfront if you wanna kiss white ass so much

you ? aren't gonna get any peace from me on here no more, go suck some more white ? if you don't like it. i'm sure if you perform it deftly enough, they'll let you rise above your blackness and accept you as one of their own. ? disgraces

That would be great.
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    *white person does something dumb*
    *blacks r bad at stuff*
    Lol
  • Delphas
    Options
    LL

You know this dude was the type of teacher who thought he was cooler than he was because he listened to rap every once in a while.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Kai wrote: »
    we can't have no safe zone without these ? and bootlickers showing up huh? i see i'm gonna have start banning m/fs cuz this is getting ridiculous. go to ? reddit or stormfront if you wanna kiss white ass so much

you ? aren't gonna get any peace from me on here no more, go suck some more white ? if you don't like it. i'm sure if you perform it deftly enough, they'll let you rise above your blackness and accept you as one of their own. ? disgraces

I guess the extent of your intelligence is limited to biology. When it comes to everything else you seem to want to react as brainlessly as the rest of the fools.

Look, if ya'll want to be offended by what that dude did. Go ahead. I can't stop you from that and I wouldn't try. All I'm saying is based on the information given, what he did is factually not what you're claiming it is. It just isn't. Does he have some underlying motivation or is he truly a racist. I don't know and I don't give a ? . Why would I waste my time trying to reach and overanalyze some ? a white person as a Halloween costume? That ? is ridiculous.
  • Ubuntu1
    Options
    @gns Don't you see the irony in criticizing him for mocking black people yet you're calling him a '? '?
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ubuntu1 wrote: »
    @gns Don't you see the irony in criticizing him for mocking black people yet you're calling him a '? '?

No i dont break it down for me blood.
  • Ubuntu1
    Options
    Ubuntu1 wrote: »

No i dont break it down for me blood.

Oh, ? . Ha ha. Didn't expect to be called out. Well, uh, you're contradicting yourself. You can't say he's wrong to mock an entire group of people when you're doing the same thing.