A Halloween Tradition: White People in Blackface

Options
13»

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Abraxas wrote: »
    @Copper What did you disagree with from my last post. I'm really trying to understand you guys' stance on this.

You honestly think dressing up as a particular black person is the same thing as pretending to be black people by wearing a bunch of stereotypical clothes and accessories?

Would it have been ok, if he didn't paint himself? Is that the only thing you guys find fault with or is him even attempting to portray a black person for Halloween offensive to you? I agree that he was stupid for this because he should have known there would be people who'd be offended, but I don't see why you guys look at this as the same thing as something clearly different. Am I missing something from the story?

the black paint is what is offensive to me personally. i cant speak for anyone else. he could easily wear things attributable to kanye and people would recognize it, without alluding to the centuries of caricature and bigotry with the face paint. and i promise you, he knows exactly what he is doing, and is more than likely mocking black people in the process. stop feigning ignorance for the white.

You're acting like you're ignorant of the historical precedence.

he doesnt have to paint on big red lips to make it black face bruh.

being mad at us for being offended is like posting pictures of people rocking a ? uniform on a jewish forum. its not going to end well.

Thanks for the civil answer. I'm not mad at you guys for being offended. Check my first post. I didn't know anyone for it. I just said it wasn't that big a deal to me and explained why. As always others were the ones attacking me because I didn't see it the same way as they did. You're free to be offended by whatever you want.

You're right. It's not about the black and red paint which is why I said even the people who weren't wearing paint at that "Black Party" were still more or less in black face. Going by the information we have. It looks like he just painted himself to enhance the costume. Was it stupid given the history and potential for offense? Yes. I said that from the start, but that doesn't make it the same thing as what those other white people do nor does it make it the same thing as what blackface was used for historically. Now maybe ya'll looked into it deeper and found something about him as a person that makes you think he was trying to slip some racist ? past us. I don't know. I didn't dig that deep and I don't feel the need to read some ? into someone's actions that aren't obvious. That's a waste of time and effort.
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One of the reasons I don't care much for this pagan holiday Halloween is because of stuff like this. I don't even go to places where it will be a bunch of people who aren't black on this day because I know I would be setting myself up to sock a person in the grill.
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    charles2 wrote: »
    grYmes wrote: »
    If I see some ? in blackface when I take my kids out Saturday, It's a quick HBK Sweet Chin Music to the dome.

ce9fa4b184d27955a49593dda774a72c50da6341f77c7208fc8453ae190128f7.jpg

Lol, seriously tho some ? like that is gonna lead to a ? moment real quick. If not me than someone else...
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    No it's not. If white people are basically having ? parties on campus, promoting them with no ? given, and haven't any of the black students run up in those parties to stop them, nothing will be done. Just topics on the internet.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    what about black people in whiteface?

dwjt1.jpg
  • CEOFABRIC
    CEOFABRIC Members Posts: 167 ✭✭
    Options
    I believed it was Brother Malcolm whom made a statement about not allowing them to teach our kids... this is why...
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beta wrote: »

dwjt1.jpg

they should crucify him... i wouldn't give a ? ...
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

dwjt1.jpg

they should crucify him... i wouldn't give a ? ...

Lol I don't even think he got backlash for this way back then
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

dwjt1.jpg

Let's not forget about "Todd".......

todd.jpg

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

That's not why he's stupid. Yours and this guys blatant disregard for American history concerning black face is rather disgusting.

Instead of charging Blacks with what you call "whining" how about charging with whites with making better decisions and being insensitive?

I mean why is it so, hard for folks to simply do the right thing? If, you know something is possibly offensive then opt to leave it the ? alone.

Forgot to add. He looks like a ? damned idiot!

No. I'm not disregarding history. I'm just not making some false historical parallel like ya'll are. Blackface was not and never has been about white people dressing up as specific black people for Halloween. Blackface was about white depicting themselves as black to promote negative and harmful stereotypes of black people for the amusement of other white people. That is not what this guy is doing.

Yes, whether he meant it in an offensive way or not, he should have had enough sense to know that some black people would have found it offensive. It's still some trivial ? and not what you're making it to be.

And complaining about ? like this is 'whining.' We got white run state and local governments purposely enacting measures that literally hurt the black community and the same people on here flagging me for my comments and calling me an apologist stay silent about that. But let some dumb ? like this come up and everyone wants to cry about whites not changing their ways. lol Are ya'll ? serious? What would happen if people put the same effort in attending county council meetings to make sure they didn't unfairly divert funds away from black schools that they put into Twitter shaming every CAC that makes an unwise decision like this.

gns wrote: »
    Ehhh I don't think this is that big a deal. He was dressed up as Kanye West. That's not blackface. Blackface is when white people put dark paint on their face and use stereotypes and racist characteristics to make fun of black people. It may have been stupid, but it's not the same as when white people have "Black Parties" and everyone comes in black face dressed as gangbangers and hoodrats.

That's exactly wtf that cracka did genius

No, it's not. He was specifically dressing up as Kanye West. Are ya'll really so simple minded you can't see the difference here?

That other stuff doesn't invalidate criticisms of this though
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kai wrote: »
    we can't have no safe zone without these ? and bootlickers showing up huh? i see i'm gonna have start banning m/fs cuz this is getting ridiculous. go to ? reddit or stormfront if you wanna kiss white ass so much

you ? aren't gonna get any peace from me on here no more, go suck some more white ? if you don't like it. i'm sure if you perform it deftly enough, they'll let you rise above your blackness and accept you as one of their own. ? disgraces

Safe zones on the internet? Is this triggering you?

smh
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

That's not why he's stupid. Yours and this guys blatant disregard for American history concerning black face is rather disgusting.

Instead of charging Blacks with what you call "whining" how about charging with whites with making better decisions and being insensitive?

I mean why is it so, hard for folks to simply do the right thing? If, you know something is possibly offensive then opt to leave it the ? alone.

Forgot to add. He looks like a ? damned idiot!

No. I'm not disregarding history. I'm just not making some false historical parallel like ya'll are. Blackface was not and never has been about white people dressing up as specific black people for Halloween. Blackface was about white depicting themselves as black to promote negative and harmful stereotypes of black people for the amusement of other white people. That is not what this guy is doing.

Yes, whether he meant it in an offensive way or not, he should have had enough sense to know that some black people would have found it offensive. It's still some trivial ? and not what you're making it to be.

And complaining about ? like this is 'whining.' We got white run state and local governments purposely enacting measures that literally hurt the black community and the same people on here flagging me for my comments and calling me an apologist stay silent about that. But let some dumb ? like this come up and everyone wants to cry about whites not changing their ways. lol Are ya'll ? serious? What would happen if people put the same effort in attending county council meetings to make sure they didn't unfairly divert funds away from black schools that they put into Twitter shaming every CAC that makes an unwise decision like this.

gns wrote: »
    Ehhh I don't think this is that big a deal. He was dressed up as Kanye West. That's not blackface. Blackface is when white people put dark paint on their face and use stereotypes and racist characteristics to make fun of black people. It may have been stupid, but it's not the same as when white people have "Black Parties" and everyone comes in black face dressed as gangbangers and hoodrats.

That's exactly wtf that cracka did genius

No, it's not. He was specifically dressing up as Kanye West. Are ya'll really so simple minded you can't see the difference here?

That other stuff doesn't invalidate criticisms of this though

It doesn't. I didn't say he shouldnt be criticized. I just said that if he was just using the paint to sell his costume, which based on the info we have is what he was a trying to do, it isn't really black face. It was still stupid and insensitive, but not as big a deal as real black face, which white people still do. In other words criticize him for what he did not for what you think he did based on nothing more than your underlying assumption that all whites are unrepentant racists.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    why is it to bad to be a black person for Halloween? Is there something wrong with being black? I get why a traditional black face would be horribly racist, but I'm not sure why any other famous black person would be bad.
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe it has something to do with continuing the unbroken legacy of making black skin the focal point of ones identity...
  • TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    charles2 wrote: »
    If I see some ? in blackface when I take my kids out Saturday, It's a quick HBK Sweet Chin Music to the dome.

ce9fa4b184d27955a49593dda774a72c50da6341f77c7208fc8453ae190128f7.jpg

Lol, seriously tho some ? like that is gonna lead to a ? moment real quick. If not me than someone else...

True.