Black Man Says Washington Restaurant Made Him Prepay For Breakfast — But Not White Customers

1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
A black man says he was asked to prepay for his meal at a Washington restaurant — even though white customers were allowed to pay after they had finished eating.

Brian Eason filed a discrimination lawsuit Tuesday against Elmer’s Restaurants and the franchise’s parent company, Karsan, Inc., reported The Oregonian.

The 44-year-old Eason, a Multnomah County, Oregon, sheriff’s deputy and real estate agent, said he went Dec. 16, 2014, to the Vancouver restaurant and ordered breakfast — and the waitress told him he must pay for his food before she would serve him.

“I was kind of curious about it and said, ‘Well, is that new?’ And she said ‘Yes, we had a few walk-aways and my boss asked me to ask for prepayment,” Eason told the newspaper.

Eason said he thought nothing of the request until he ordered another drink and the waitress asked him again to pay first, and he told the woman that he considered the policy “kind of odd.”

“She said, ‘I think it’s discrimination and my boss is here, and she’s forcing me to have me do this,'” Eason said.

He said the waitress was apologetic, and he actually felt bad for her and gave her a big tip and one of the $10 Starbucks gift cards he planned to send to clients.

Eason left the restaurant, but he was troubled by the experience and returned about a half hour later and asked a white couple dining at Elmer’s whether they had been asked to prepay.

The couple said they hadn’t.

Eason asked the pair for their names and phone numbers, which they shared.

He wasn’t sure what he planned to do about the experience, but he couldn’t sleep that night and his family encouraged him to take action, the newspaper reported.

Eason eventually filed a lawsuit in Multnomah County Circuit Court seeking $100,000 in damages for his “feelings of racial stigmatization.”

A spokeswoman for the Elmer’s restaurant chain, which was founded in 1960 and has 25 restaurants in four states, said the company was investigating Eason’s claims.

“At Elmer’s, we are proud to provide a welcoming guest experience to everyone in the communities we serve,” said Jill Ramos, director of restaurant support. “We are disappointed to hear about the complaint which occurred at one of our franchise-operated restaurants.”

Eason said the experience still bothered him.

“My office is right down the street there,” Eason said. “It’s a constant reminder of ‘they don’t want me in there.'”

Comments

• VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and he tipped her big? doesn't the employer take a good percentage of that?
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And his goofy ass still ate there, I tell ya, when will we learn if they don't won't you in they spot why try to be there

He was being optimistic...
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What kind of ? is that.

Never hear of pre paying at a restaurant.

I would have went off and left.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prepay meal? Creative bigots I must say....
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And his goofy ass still ate there, I tell ya, when will we learn if they don't won't you in they spot why try to be there
    VIBE wrote: »
    and he tipped her big? doesn't the employer take a good percentage of that?

Typical ? ? . The funny thing is, he tipped BIG after , after, AFTER he felt disrespected. instead, instead, INSTEAD... he felt that she was the victim.

Typical slave ? .

• yellowtapesport
    yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

Them chinks at MINGS in Chinatown DC will make a ? prepay, esp if its crowded late night after the club
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not creative at all... cause the waitress warned him, and told him she felt the policy was discriminatory . Instead of asking a "why u say that?".. his ? optics kicked in on que, and figured she was the victim...
    Cause when the average blk person face racism, and discrimination, we automatically start blaming ourselves.
    Instead of looking at the situation for what it was.His ass stayed n ate, cause that's what he wanted to do . After he realized how ight that meal was, his conscious kicked in. Like damn...

• A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    You ? can't read or what?

He said he was told at first that it was a new policy -- presumably, a nondiscriminatory one. So he ordered.

It was only when he got a second drink, presumably during the meal or after he ate, that the server admitted that the policy was discriminatory and that she was reluctantly implementing it. I don't know if I would have tipped her, but it seems like she was unwillingly doing what her boss wanted her to do. So I can see why dude wouldn't blame her.

Now get the FOH with this ? ? .
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    His story is a little flimsy. He couldn't sleep that night and so he needs $100,000. Good luck. Kudos if he gets it but honestly it's not like a big win in the struggle.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

He said he was told at first that it was a new policy -- presumably, a nondiscriminatory one. So he ordered.

It was only when he got a second drink, presumably during the meal or after he ate, that the server admitted that the policy was discriminatory and that she was reluctantly implementing it. I don't know if I would have tipped her, but it seems like she was unwillingly doing what her boss wanted her to do. So I can't see why dude wouldn't blame her.

Read? Maybe you missed this, then..
    Eason left the restaurant, but he was troubled by the experience and returned about a half hour later and asked a white couple dining at Elmer’s whether they had been asked to prepay.

• king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL I see what you did there
  • A Talented One
    VIBE wrote: »

It was only when he got a second drink, presumably during the meal or after he ate, that the server admitted that the policy was discriminatory and that she was reluctantly implementing it. I don't know if I would have tipped her, but it seems like she was unwillingly doing what her boss wanted her to do. So I can't see why dude wouldn't blame her.

Read? Maybe you missed this, then..

That doesn't contradict anything that I said.

Learn to read and stop wasting my time.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hop does that ? if its a lot of black folk late night on weekends.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    “She said, ‘I think it’s discrimination and my boss is here, and she’s forcing me to have me do this,'” Eason said.

He said the waitress was apologetic, and he actually felt bad for her and gave her a big tip and one of the $10 Starbucks gift cards he planned to send to clients.

He wasn’t sure what he planned to do about the experience, but he couldn’t sleep that night and his family encouraged him to take action, the newspaper reported.

Eason eventually filed a lawsuit in Multnomah County Circuit Court seeking $100,000 in damages for his “feelings of racial stigmatization.”

I'm sorry I can't rock with this ? .

This sequence of events reads dumb as ? on all sides.

They treated him like a trick getting upselled for services.

Waitress tells him up front he's not deemed trust worthy if he stays. He pays to stay in order to be serviced.

He orders another drink after pre-paying and is still not deemed trust worthy. She TELLS HIM she's goes against her own integrity for that paper if he stays. He pays and stays again for extra services.

He REWARDS her for it by tipping for the services.

He THEN feels some type of way and asks random white couple their experience.

Then after REWARDING the enforcer of the policy for enforcing the policy, files a lawsuit against the policy maker for the policy he rewarded the enforcer for enforcing.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He wouldn't have known he was being discriminated against if she hadn't told him. She could have kept her mouth closed and been complicit in the thing.

In Detroit the city implemented a policy that allows taxis to ask for a deposit before driving. Guess when they choose to implement this policy
  • A Talented One

Waitress tells him up front he's not deemed trust worthy if he stays. He pays to stay in order to be serviced.

He orders another drink after pre-paying and is still not deemed trust worthy. She TELLS HIM she's goes against her own integrity for that paper if he stays. He pays and stays again for extra services.

Then after REWARDING the enforcer of the policy for enforcing the policy, files a lawsuit against the policy maker for the policy he rewarded the enforcer for enforcing.

When the waitress first told him he had to pay upfront, he didn't know it was a discriminatory policy. So the waitress wasn't understood to be telling him that he -- as opposed to all customers -- wasn't deemed trustworthy enough to be served before paying. Now I, as a black man, would have wondered if it was racial, and but dude just assumed it was an odd, but nondiscriminatory, new policy.

Also, it doesn't seem quite right to say that she was the "enforcer" of the policy; she was merely implementing it, and reluctantly too. Which is not to say that she doesn't deserve some criticism.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015

When the waitress first told him he had to pay upfront, he didn't know it was a discriminatory policy. So the waitress wasn't understood to be telling him that he -- as opposed to all customers -- wasn't deemed trustworthy enough to be served before paying. Now I, as a black man, would have wondered if it was racial, and but dude just assumed it was an odd, but nondiscriminatory, new policy.

Also, it doesn't seem quite right to say that she was the "enforcer" of the policy; she was merely implementing it, and reluctantly too. Which is not to say that she doesn't deserve some criticism.

You got my post prior to the edit, but.....

The fact that he had to prepay at all in a sit down Resteraunt is deeming him untrustworthy. Tossing race aside, if all customers had to pay up front it's deeming them untrustworthy. This is unless you walk up to a counter to order, the bulk of their orders are to go, and only have a few seats. It's bad practice and people get offended, thus why it's not common. Even in basic places like Dennys, they seat and serve you prior to giving you the bill. Personally, I would not have paid up front and left off top.

But as far as what happened to him... after learning of the policy on the second drink, I would have held off on the drink and left. They don't deserve any more of my money. I would have not tipped her either and told her that I usually tip but I can't tip her for enforcing a discriminatory policy.....against me.

Policies are rules. Anyone or mechanism that implements or acts on behalf of a policy is enforcing the policy. The actor is the enforcer.
  • optimistic
    optimistic Members Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL I see what you did there

poopiedog.gif

let me clean this ? up......I was on mobile....
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    stupid son of a ? .........as soon as i get any type of static at a non black establishment...im gone...u know how hard i work for my money? i ll be damned if you ? on me and expect to take my money as well? ? you
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not feeling sorry for anyone enforcing some ? against me on account of another ? . ? the waitress, too - neither one of them would have gotten a dime from me. I would have let her be ashamed and embarrassed until she got tired of feeling that way, because you know she's still doing it to other black folks now because its her job.
  • A Talented One

You got my post prior to the edit, but.....

The fact that he had to prepay at all in a sit down Resteraunt is deeming him untrustworthy. Tossing race aside, if all customers had to pay up front it's deeming them untrustworthy. This is unless you walk up to a counter to order, the bulk of their orders are to go, and only have a few seats. It's bad practice and people get offended, thus why it's not common. Even in basic places like Dennys, they seat and serve you prior to giving you the bill. Personally, I would not have paid up front and left off top.

But as far as what happened to him... after learning of the policy on the second drink, I would have held off on the drink and left. They don't deserve any more of my money. I would have not tipped her either and told her that I usually tip but I can't tip her for enforcing a discriminatory policy.....against me.

Policies are rules. Anyone or mechanism that implements or acts on behalf of a policy is enforcing the policy. The actor is the enforcer.

I would have held off of the second drink too, and I wouldn't have tipped. (Not sure if I would have stayed there in the first place though. At the very least, I would ask if everybody had to pay upfront before staying.) So we are on the same page. People acting like dude knew from the beginning that it was a discriminatory thing though.

Still don't think she was the enforcer. If there was a head waiter making sure that all servers collected money before serving blacks, that person would be an enforcer. Anyway, this is relatively minor issue. Like I said, we are on the same page.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015

It was only when he got a second drink, presumably during the meal or after he ate, that the server admitted that the policy was discriminatory and that she was reluctantly implementing it. I don't know if I would have tipped her, but it seems like she was unwillingly doing what her boss wanted her to do. So I can see why dude wouldn't blame her.

this post confused the hell outta me at first.. it took me a while to figure out what his point was, but i think his post is directed at the people who are faulting the guy for eating there in the first place, but the thing is, he wasn't aware he was being discriminated against at first. he gave them benefit of the doubt because he was told it was new policy. he didn't know for sure it was discrimination until he asked another guest couple if they had to prepay. by that time, he already ate. so therefore, don't fault the guy. and it wouldn't hurt to unflag Talented One well intentioned, horrible post while you at it.
  • A Talented One
    Fosheezy wrote: »

this post confused the hell outta me at first.. it took me a while to figure out what his point was, but i think his post is directed at the people who are faulting the guy for eating there in the first place, but the thing is, he wasn't aware he was being discriminated against at first. he gave them benefit of the doubt because he was told it was new policy. he didn't know for sure it was discrimination until he asked another guest couple if they had to prepay. by that time, he already ate. so therefore, don't fault the guy. and it wouldn't hurt to unflag Talented One well intentioned, horrible post while you at it.

They often unjustifiedly flag me, even if they know I'm right.

I'll like to correct two things though.

1) Dude knew it was discriminatory when he was told by the server that it was discriminatory. It seems that he came back to get evidence in the event that he wanted to sue.

2) My post isn't horrible.