IC Discussion: Colorism in the black community

Options

Comments

• grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I won't lie, as a teenager I made those statements from time to time not realizing the full weight of my words. Now I do my best to be positive for all our brothers and sisters of all shades. It's this type of systematic ? that ensures our ? up outlook on life and the way we project ourselves to other races.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    AtalentedOne is easily the worst poster on the IC

And all time top 5 worst posters in IC history

The ? is unbelievably ignorant and misinformed about everything

SuperStupid ass ?

*light-skin ? post*
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't date dark butts period

Go listen to the fugees n write a poem bout it ?

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i will have to come back to this topic...i have sooo much to add
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ayebaebae wrote: »
    this isn't just a "black" issue... Latinos go through the same thing... Asians as well..

I agree, colorism happens all over the world with people of color. However I'm focusing on black folks atm. That's why I titled this post "Colorism in the black community" lol

I understand that... lol just making that point... personally I believe blacks in general like to believe we are the only race with issues. which gives us a "less than" mentality... that in itself helps with our "colorism" issues... I personally prefer darker women... nothing against lighter women I'm attracted to them too.. but I see that most feel like because they are not lighter that they are not as beautiful... they all say the same thing "the media and out side forces perpetuates that lighter is better" then my point becomes "if your self worth is tied to what you think others think is beautiful it's partly your fault as it is the media's" if I was to have a darker daughter she would probably be borderline conceited because I will make sure she knows she is beautiful..
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I wrote a college paper called The War Within that discussed the color hates/preferences in the black community. My professor and class mates praised that ? the whole semester. I wish I still had a copy for my kids to read one day
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Effects of classism and white supremacy......

We shouldn't do it...
    Thais do it
    Mexicans do it
    Chinese do it to the extreme
    Indians do it
    Some Africans got it bad now
    Koreans do it, but there are a lot of Korean broads who tan HEAVY
    It's a global phenomenon

Thing is I got this Thai broad who's dark as me and she bonded with me over that ? how light skin people act funny towards her. At first glance you'd think she was a black broad with a pulled back ponytail. Whatever. I told her to embrace that ? and lighter people usually age bad. The whole world is on that ? .

I saw this commercial on Uganda TV Ustream for Perfect White skin bleaching pills and cream. Light skin black girl in the mirror admiring her lighter skin. Crazy ? .

Saw this in the Mexican store too...right up in the register line with the candy bars and gum..
    51KhkZhYQQL._SY355_.jpg
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why are ? bringing up other cultures?
    This is about the blk community in the u.s.. i dont give a damn with what they do in Uganda, Korea, or Ecuador.
    Cause if Korea, Uganda, and Ecuador fix their colorism issues tommorow. We'll still be having ours here in the state...

My thing is this... all this is a by product of Wht supremacy... as long as ppl are under a wht supremacist institution. We'll have syptoms of white supremacy such as colorism where Ppl are being rewarded for their skin complexion.
  • damobb2deep
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    This is about the blk community in the u.s.. i dont give a damn with what they do in Uganda, Korea, or Ecuador.
    Cause if Korea, Uganda, and Ecuador fix their colorism issues tommorow. We'll still be having ours here in the state...

My thing is this... all this is a by product of Wht supremacy... as long as ppl are under a wht supremacist institution. We'll have syptoms of white supremacy such as colorism where Ppl are being rewarded for their skin complexion.

the problem is "white supremacy" is partly in our minds... given it exists but only because other races give that term power.. what we see as beautiful (any race) shouldn't be universal. anyway because we are not the same... I can look at a fine as Brazilian chick and find things about her that I think is beautiful that an Asian chick might not have but is still equally as beautiful... unless colorism was around before races intermixed (which we will never know) I don't see why it effects us so much... and I think showing that it does effect you makes you look worse.. because you showing that you don't think you are beautiful and what other say is "right"
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »

The two issues are somewhat related. You brought up Uganda, well I visited Tanzania which is next door to TZ. TZ has colorism issues as well, and skin-lightening cream is very popular there and elsewhere on the continent. What disgusted me, however, was that they use AFRICAN-AMERICAN WOMEN to advertise the products to African people on the continent. The two are connected. We need to emancipate our people world-wide from mental slavery and colonialism.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MistyKnight
    MistyKnight Members Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Max. wrote: »

Many guys on the IC think this way, yet a lot of people deny it... Including t/s.

Apparently the only people who are "woke" regarding the issues of colorism on this forum is our queen @purr, @ShottaDaBeast and I.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Khaleesi wrote: »

Many guys on the IC think this way, yet a lot of people deny it... Including t/s.

Apparently the only people who are "woke" regarding the issues of colorism on this forum is our queen @purr, @ShottaDaBeast and I.

Max is a mexican troll you dumb lite brite. Hell u still not black enough to get invovled here either
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    "Blank" people do it too!" is the dumbest excuse to do anything.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Khaleesi wrote: »

That sounded like blatant trolling. Max isn't even black.

If we took everything that has been said on the IC literally (including insensitive and incendiary things that you've said) then we truly would be the "worst people on earth"... Not to mention wanted by several nations for premeditating hate crimes against humanity.

I'd be interested to hear from the "many guys on the IC" that actually feel this way, according to your characterization
  • damobb2deep
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »
    "Blank" people do it too!" is the dumbest excuse to do anything.

its not an excuse to do the ? it shows that it's not just our issue... blacks who have a direct issue with anything white use topics like this to show how "slave minded" we still are as a race... when it could just be most races have a lack of appreciation for the qualities they have..
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    Any one talking about how bad white supremacy is and still marrying non-black women is ? delusional. How the ? are we going to fight colorism and white supremacy with you further perpetuating the white is more beautiful paradigm with your very actions.

You don't think all those little black boys and girls are looking at your stupid ass???? even worse the little white girls are looking at you thus feeding their sense of superiority over those little black girls. BUT you ? don't see this and continue to ? over white women but then at the same time want to hate white men. ? IS WRONG WITH YOU

The reason why is that you can't tell a man he has to stay single or marry a woman that is not his type if the alternative is to marry white. That is too much to ask of a man. That's the bottom line. But I agree with you that IR marriages do have some bad consequences.
  • damobb2deep
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    Any one talking about how bad white supremacy is and still marrying non-black women is ? delusional. How the ? are we going to fight colorism and white supremacy with you further perpetuating the white is more beautiful paradigm with your very actions.

You don't think all those little black boys and girls are looking at your stupid ass???? even worse the little white girls are looking at you thus feeding their sense of superiority over those little black girls. BUT you ? don't see this and continue to ? over white women but then at the same time want to hate white men. ? IS WRONG WITH YOU

Most white girls are jealous of Asian women the way you think black women feel about them..

btw I can be "pro black" and still be in a interracial relationship... as long as you not bashing another race to try and show yours is "better" there is no reason you can't be "pro black" and have a relationship with another race..
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Referencing colorism without doing your own research, is ? lazy to me. Why speak on a topic without actually understanding it without your own bias views?

Plus, not even explain where the term comes from; which is by Alice Walker, a critically acclaimed literary and critical theory writer, best known for the bluest eye and the color purple, a black woman who grew tired of the divisiveness in the black community due to the generational conditioning of colorism.

The access of whiteness is what most people of color want to achieve, where "race mixing" is prevalent to erase the blackness from one's familial pod (e.g, pod means group).

This is not solely an issue within the black community; however, it is the most visible issue that others can see. The difference of preferential treatment due to one's skintone is not an anomalous situation, where these issues are place as an outlier on a tangent; this thread perterbs me because you have previously stated that you don't see color, yet your light skin tones does give you preferential treatment that you blindly do not recognize, which is a problematic process of whiteness and it's colorblind utopia through its invisibility of not seeing an issue because these things of colorism do not matter to them; however, silently it does matter to white people because then they would have to admit to their participation in white supremacy, which in essence you are too by reiterating colorblindness.

Maybe it is because you are young and you don't fully understand these issues, but there is no excuse to be ignorant of others and their experiences, due to the access of education at the tip of your fingers (e.g, the Internet).