IC Discussion: Colorism in the black community

Options
1414243444547»

Comments

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »

There is no other way to black prosperity other than black nationalism. taking being pro black to it's logical extent you end up with some form of black nationalism.

I wouldn't say there is no other way. I mean Asians and Jews prosper in this country and they haven't adopted nationalistic mindsets as a community.

However, supporting your community first and foremost is central principle of a nationalistic movement and I would agree that it is impossible for a community to prosper without subscribing to the principle to some degree.

Ever beard of Israel and Asia?
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fosheezy wrote: »
    ? does not... give people positions or jobs or... good conditions such as they desire; they must do that for themselves.. ? does not build cities nor towns nor nations, nor homes, nor factories; men and people do that and all those who want must work for themselves and pray to ? to give them strength to do it.
    Marcus Garvey

Brother Garvey a good dude but nah ? we shouldn't directly contradict scripture like that just to make a point.

“Look among the nations and watch—
    Be utterly astounded!
    For I will work a work in your days
    Which you would not believe, though it were told you.
    For indeed I am raising up the Chaldeans, A bitter and hasty nation

Which marches through the breadth of the earth,
    To possess dwelling places that are not theirs. Habakkuk 1:5-6

Who actually physical built Babylon??? who staffed and organized their armies ?? Did ? come down and put stone on stone to build it??? No the Babylonian people were already willing and able to do what ? wanted all ? had to do was make it possible.

You are a calvinist and I don't think you understand the theological and logical implications of what you are saying.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »

There is no other way to black prosperity other than black nationalism. taking being pro black to it's logical extent you end up with some form of black nationalism.

I wouldn't say there is no other way. I mean Asians and Jews prosper in this country and they haven't adopted nationalistic mindsets as a community.

However, supporting your community first and foremost is central principle of a nationalistic movement and I would agree that it is impossible for a community to prosper without subscribing to the principle to some degree.

What does that have to do with anything. We're talking about people in America not other nations. There is a continent full of black people too you know.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What does that have to do with anything. We're talking about people in America not other nations. There is a continent full of black people too you know.

U dismiss nationalism as if thats not one of the ways/motives other ethnic groups build together
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    to not be an exposure thread....this is doing numbers fast

lost and monkeys ass ? trying to outsmart each other...i just find it comical that the real posters who are about that black pride ? in real, ? like myself, dont even entertain threads like these...

Youre sooooo HUMBLE my ? .

Oh Lord that HUMILITY!!!

Dayumm I bet your ? dont stink

Youre SO HUMBLE!!

I am who i am but tell me what did u learn from the past 48 pgs?
  • zzombie
    Options
    No you have articulated a calvinist religious perspective, if a nation has no say so in their fate and ? is in total control then there is nothing we can do because our destiny has already been authored, such a perspective is the main component of calvinism.
    Nope, I'm aware of what Calvinistic teaching is. I didn't argue Calvinism, That's what you think i argued. unlike Clavinistic teaching, I never argue that individuals don't have a choice and that our choices are predetermined. I'm saying no matter our choice on certain matters - for instance, voting for the president elect- ? in the present-active tense interjects and manipulate the situation to produce an outcome he decide. The choices we make don't matter in this instance. And It doesn't take predetermination for that to occur. There's biblical example of this.

? decides what nations go into power, which kings or rulers go into power and he uses people as the instruments to accomplish this. It's not the people that decide this themselves. There's biblical examples proving this.

I think you have misunderstanding on how ? rules from heaven and on earth and how his providence work.
    I know the position black/african people are in is not the will of ? because ? wants no one to suffer, starve be treated like an animal or swallow indignity unnecessarily. If YOU ARE a christian you should know that ? 's will for all OF HUMANITY is for us TO know love, peace and mercy that's what he actually wants and i can pull bible verses and put them in context to prove it.

? decides who he blesses or curses based on their own merit and his will this is true for nations and for individuals
    The fact that ? loves us and doesn't want his people to unnecessarily suffer doesn't mean that he won't allow wicked choices of others against his people to occur, and use this as a way to accomplish a greater end for them later.

I think your theology is flawed and blasphemous and I'll leave the religious debate there because I don't believe that we need it in a thread like this
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^ Seperate thread
  • Peace_79
    edited November 2015
    Options
    to not be an exposure thread....this is doing numbers fast

lost and monkeys ass ? trying to outsmart each other...i just find it comical that the real posters who are about that black pride ? in real, ? like myself, dont even entertain threads like these...

Youre sooooo HUMBLE my ? .

Oh Lord that HUMILITY!!!

Dayumm I bet your ? dont stink

Youre SO HUMBLE!!

I am who i am but tell me what did u learn from the past 48 pgs?

Actually several gems have been dropped in this thread, while discussing important topics plaguing the black community.
    But please, @Elzo69Renaissance share your omniscience with the IC.

Bless us with the answers we seek, brotha-

-How do we end systemic racism and white supremacy in America?

-How do we combat colorism against Darker Skinned Blacks and the retaliation-based mistreatment of Light Skinned Blacks within the Black Community?

-How do we reconcile interracial relationships and black-identifying mixed people, with Black Nationalism and Pro Black Ideologies?
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The world treats darkskinned folk bad and in turn outta resentment a lot of darkskinned folk mistreat the light skinned folk. Its ? up cuz it's stereotypes all around for both. My sister is insecure to this day for being called pretty for a dark skinned girl when younger. Then in the hood I remember the light skinned girls getting their face cut by the hood rats cuz they thought they were pretty. Light skinned dudes being called soft I notice light skinned babies getting the awww u solo cute treatment then the same person wouldn't have the same enthusiasm with the dark baby. I can talk in this subject all day from both perspectives
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ayebaebae wrote: »
    MARKLE-WENN.jpg
    These chicks have black mothers too.
    Screen-Shot-2015-10-06-at-9.05.38-PM.png

The first chick looks wht, the 2nd one looks blk...

Who would u want to play beyonce in a bio-pic , if u can only choose out the two, the 1st one or the second one?
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ayebaebae wrote: »
    Also @zzombie black doesn't have a specific look. To me black is so diverse that you can't put a label on it. We're unique.

Kola Boof Bin Laden's mistress

kola_b1.jpg

Let me also point out that while Black American men consider Mariah Carey a Black woman and call Bin Laden “an Arab”—Osama was Black by African-American standards. He had more black blood than Mariah Carey does. So when they say that an Egyptian-Sudanese woman (half Arab myself) sold out by sleeping with Osama Bin Laden; I don’t know what the hell they mean. Osama was Blacker than the President of the NAACP, Ben Jealous, if Black Americans really want to go there...

Is Osama Bin Laden blk?
  • Peace_79
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    The world treats darkskinned folk bad and in turn outta resentment a lot of darkskinned folk mistreat the light skinned folk. Its ? up cuz it's stereotypes all around for both. My sister is insecure to this day for being called pretty for a dark skinned girl when younger. Then in the hood I remember the light skinned girls getting their face cut by the hood rats cuz they thought they were pretty. Light skinned dudes being called soft I notice light skinned babies getting the awww u solo cute treatment then the same person wouldn't have the same enthusiasm with the dark baby. I can talk in this subject all day from both perspectives

Powerful post
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This.
    My siblings and I are all dark skinned. Hell, most of my family is dark skinned. No white or other nationalities in my family. I sympathize with dark skinned women, because my sister used to get that pretty for a dark girl tag and there were incidents where she'd come home telling my pop certain dudes didn't mess with her because of her darker skin.
    It's hard in this world if your black, but it's really hard if you're a dark skinned black. I can remember as a little boy, I was a foreign exchange student that went to Sweden. It was me, and 3 other Americans: a light skinned boy and two white kids. This was when i learned Europeans had a real racism problem. I get down there, and the fam I'm staying with has us go over some other family's house. They were friends of the family. Them folks didn't want me in their house. Didn't want me to use their restrooms, drink or eat using their silverware, etc. They had no problem with the other 3 kids using their stuff though. I was only 11 at the time, so it was tough. I hold no resentment to those lighter than me, because I know it's tough being black period. I can see why darker folks act how they act towards lighter folks though. It's got to stop.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AggieLean. wrote: »

This.
    My siblings and I are all dark skinned. Hell, most of my family is dark skinned. No white or other nationalities in my family. I sympathize with dark skinned women, because my sister used to get that pretty for a dark girl tag and there were incidents where she'd come home telling my pop certain dudes didn't mess with her because of her darker skin.
    It's hard in this world if your black, but it's really hard if you're a dark skinned black. I can remember as a little boy, I was a foreign exchange student that went to Sweden. It was me, and 3 other Americans: a light skinned boy and two white kids. This was when i learned Europeans had a real racism problem. I get down there, and the fam I'm staying with has us go over some other family's house. They were friends of the family. Them folks didn't want me in their house. Didn't want me to use their restrooms, drink or eat using their silverware, etc. They had no problem with the other 3 kids using their stuff though. I was only 11 at the time, so it was tough. I hold no resentment to those lighter than me, because I know it's tough being black period. I can see why darker folks act how they act towards lighter folks though. It's got to stop.

That ? go way deep. Growing up in the deep south I saw all kinds ? . At my church there is this light skinned family that only dates/married light skinned people for generations trying to keep that compextion in they family forever. U got ? only dating lightskinned both genders do it cuz they want a "pretty" baby with good hair cuz they so ? up from how the world treated them. Why u think ? ? with fat ugly white women? Add in the u look better if u red and I dont do dark butts comments from rappers and it tells u its engrained in society. Instead of us always deflecting or dismissing it healthy discussions where both light and dark skinned folk opinions and personal experiences should be listened to and respected cuz life/reality is all about perspectives.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? does not... give people positions or jobs or... good conditions such as they desire; they must do that for themselves.. ? does not build cities nor towns nor nations, nor homes, nor factories; men and people do that and all those who want must work for themselves and pray to ? to give them strength to do it.
    Marcus Garvey

Brother Garvey a good dude but nah ? we shouldn't directly contradict scripture like that just to make a point.

Be utterly astounded!

Who actually physical built Babylon??? who staffed and organized their armies ?? Did ? come down and put stone on stone to build it??? No the Babylonian people were already willing and able to do what ? wanted all ? had to do was make it possible.

You are a calvinist and I don't think you understand the theological and logical implications of what you are saying.
    haha I think you asking the wrong questions.
    And if you really believe I'm a Calvinist then that makes you a Garveyist. Garvey and the prophet Habakkuk would have disagreed on the topic of who builds nations.

Read Habakkuk 1:5-6. Now ask yourself, does it say ? raised the Chaldean nation or not?

So does that mean the Chaldeans did the work to raise themselves?

In modern day, does ? still control the nations?

Is it in the hands of "blacks" to decide to raise ourselves up on a national level to be a great nation?

Is "black" even a nationality?

• zzombie
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Marcus Garvey

Be utterly astounded!

haha I think you asking the wrong questions.
    And if you really believe I'm a Calvinist then that makes you a Garveyist. Garvey and the prophet Habakkuk would have disagreed on the topic of who builds nations.

Read Habakkuk 1:5-6. Now ask yourself, does it say ? raised the Chaldean nation or not?

So does that mean the Chaldeans did the work to raise themselves?

In modern day, does ? still control the nations?

Is it in the hands of "blacks" to decide to raise ourselves up on a national level to be a great nation?

Is "black" even a nationality?

It means ? allowed them to do what they did because they first made themselves ready willing and able to do it.

Under your theology ? is a murderer, theif and enslaver, he would be responsible for all the evil things the Babylonians did to Israel.

In the bible a nation is also a reference to a people not just a political entity/state "black" is a reference to nationalities of people. Black people are not a monolith. ? allows nations to rise and fall but he doesn't do the work for them and the only nation that ? really has a deep hand in controlling/punishing is israel.

It is in the hands of blacks to be able to attain the blessings and promises of ? .
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

U dismiss nationalism as if thats not one of the ways/motives other ethnic groups build together

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. What does Israel have to do with the Jewish American community being strong. The Jews in America were establishing their community before Israel even existed.

Anyway, I'm not dismissing nationalism. I just said you don't have to subscribe to a nationalist philosophy to build your community. That said, I'm probably using a stricter definition of nationalism than you guys seem to be.