Was Fat Joe ever the king of New York???

water ur seeds
water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2015 in The Reason
I know theres been a few polls lately, but think about this one... Also I know I spelt 'Shared' wrong lol

Personally, Im not sure he actually was, but I think it deserves to be mentioned and debated and its really not unthinkable that he was in the mid early to mid 00's...

Looking at this from a different AND unbiased, neutral view... Joe has a few things in his favour...

1. He served his apprentice, hes been in the game since the early 90s after and allegedly (probably was) a real NYC goon, so he has/had skills and street cred...

2. Was part of DITC and really into all of the elements of hip hop...

3. Then started his own crew and label Terror Squad, so he became a leader and in doing so found a GOAT rapper in Big Pun...

4. He had a string of No.1 club and radio hits, whilst still making street records...

5. Most importantly, he has multiple gold and platinum albums...

6. Versatility, he is a DOPE rapper, he can flow, tell a story, spit street schitt and spit for the ladies...

7. Longevity, dude is still around 23 years or so later...

I may not of made the points perfectly, but you get the idea and its all in there... So was Joe ever the King???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNRcmtVl8f0

Was Fat Joe ever the king of New York??? 108 votes

YES
2%
bkkbullyCabana_Da_Don_God_ 3 votes
NO
96%
a_listvespesianusgnsdwade206sapp08_2001S2Jmiamivice305scrapper1infamous114kj_da_midwest_mobstasoul rattleraneed123optimistic$ineedmoney$double0sugeachewon87nillerthekidTHE_R_robblr86water ur seeds 104 votes
Shared the crown
0%
youngnick 1 vote

Comments

• bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO
    The vote isnt to diss him either, i just never considered him one of thr top new york talents over the the years
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO
    I remember I was living in NYC when Don Cartegena dropped. They hyped the record up on Hot 97, they were playing the singles every hour. But nobody I knew was into him.

I think there's a lot of Latinos in New York that would say he was K.O.N.Y but thats about it.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    NO
    Don cartagena was dope tho, the intro with pun is crazy, I still play that ? . If I was at a computer I'd post it.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO
    Being part on the D.I.T.C. crew Andre the Giant was much better, but somehow he got the shine
  • water ur seeds
    edited October 2015
    NO
    At the time though Nas and Jay were at 'war', they were fighting to be Kings in and around after BIG past, so they wernt really the K.O.N.Y, who was???... 50 was on the come up during that time frame, he wore the crown for a while eventually no doubt... But is it really inconceivable to say Joe BRIEFLY had the crown???

Nas I dont think really ever was K.O.N.Y, regarding them shoes 'he tried them, wore them, wasnt a perfect fit so he couldnt sport them' No doubt Jay a few years AFTER became the king, mainly through business and Kanye...

Someone make a timeline from 1997 on...
  • water ur seeds
    NO
    Being part on the D.I.T.C. crew Andre the Giant was much better, but somehow he got the shine

That was only part of the point though, Big L was better than everyone... But he was part of that crew is the point, then went on and carved out a massive career for himself after, found Pun who became the first Latin rapper to go plat, Pun died and he still went on to get stronger from a solo standpoint and had platinum albums and singles, thats some King schitt right???
  • king hassan
    NO

That was only part of the point though, Big L was better than everyone... But he was part of that crew is the point, then went on and carved out a massive career for himself after, found Pun who became the first Latin rapper to go plat, Pun died and he still went on to get stronger from a solo standpoint and had platinum albums and singles, thats some King schitt right???

I just call it right place right time, luck of the draw
  • water ur seeds
    NO
    5. Most importantly, he has multiple gold and platinum albums...

No he doesn't, he only has 1 gold album and 1 plat album out of 10 albums

JOSE was multi plat... MULTI Platinum... As a solo artist he has sold over 3million records in his career...
  • _Goldie_
  • _Goldie_
    NO
    While Jay n Nas were at war they were the only contenders for kony
  • water ur seeds
    edited October 2015
    NO

Right place at the right time for a big single or maybe one album (one hit wonder)... But to do it few times over isnt luck, and to be in hip hop for nearly 25 years, a quarter of a century isnt luck, he has skills... As I said I dont think he ever was K.O.N.Y, but he underrated for sure...
  • 5 Grand
    edited October 2015
    NO
    At the time though Nas and Jay were at 'war', they were fighting to be Kings in and around after BIG past, so they wernt really the K.O.N.Y, who was???... 50 was on the come up during that time frame, he wore the crown for a while eventually no doubt... But is it really inconceivable to say Joe BRIEFLY had the crown???

Nas I dont think really ever was K.O.N.Y, regarding them shoes 'he tried them, wore them, wasnt a perfect fit so he couldnt sport them' No doubt Jay a few years AFTER became the king, mainly through business and Kanye...

97 - Biggie
    98 - DMX
    99 - Jay Z
    00 - Jay Z
    01 - Ja Rule
    02 - Nas
    03 - 50 Cent
    04 - 50 Cent
    05 - 50 Cent

I don't think anybody was relevant after 05. I mean, there weren't any mainstream rappers from New York that were at the top. The South had taken over after G Unit fell from the top.

Also, DJ Kay Slay deserves a mention. I was copping Kay Slay tapes(CD-Rs) from 125th St. between 02-04. I swear he was dropping one or two mix tapes per week. I'm not lying when I tell you he was getting stuff before the internet and when the songs/freestyles finally appeared on the internet Kay Slay was screaming all over the track.

Kay Slay had a series of mix tapes called The Drama Hour, not to be confused with his radio show on Hot 97. I think there were at least 9 volumes. They came out in between August and October of 2003, right around the time Beg For Mercy and the Black Album dropped. I remember because he had songs from those albums before the album's came out. There were a lot of Papoose and Saigon freestyles too.

• water ur seeds
    edited October 2015
    NO
    5 Grand wrote: »

97 - Biggie
    98 - DMX
    99 - Jay Z
    00 - Jay Z
    01 - Ja Rule
    02 - Nas
    03 - 50 Cent
    04 - 50 Cent
    05 - 50 Cent

I don't think anybody was relevant after 05. I mean, there weren't any mainstream rappers from New York that were at the top. The South had taken over after G Unit fell from the top.

Also, DJ Kay Slay deserves a mention. I was copping Kay Slay tapes(CD-Rs) from 125th St. between 02-04. I swear he was dropping one or two mix tapes per week. I'm not lying when I tell you he was getting stuff before the internet and when the songs/freestyles finally appeared on the internet Kay Slay was screaming all over the track.

Kay Slay had a series of mix tapes called The Drama Hour, not to be confused with his radio show on to 97. I think there were at least 9 volumes. They came out in between August and October of 2003, right around the time Beg For Mercy and the Black Album dropped. I remember because he had songs from those albums before the album's came out. There were a lot of Papoose and Saigon freestyles too.

I dont think Jay was K.O.N.Y in 1999, I think DMX still was... I tend to agree with the rest of the list though, BUT the 2001 Ja Rule entry is where Joe has a chance for taking the spot as thats the year JOSE went multi plat and the era he was on everyones singles, also in 2002 he dropped 'Loyalty' which is one of his best albums IMO, that album is FULL of classic tracks I still play...
  • 5 Grand
    NO
    Without doing a Wiki search, I'm pretty sure Ja Rule outsold Fat Joe in 2001.

I think the KONY title is about record sales and radio play.
  • water ur seeds
    NO

I suppose Ja had Def Jam backing too, and it was about the whole of Murda Inc movement to go with him, bar for bar and skill wise Joe would body him... Irv was a great A&R guy with Def Jam and at the start of the The Inc's era...
  • 5 Grand
    NO

I suppose Ja had Def Jam backing too, and it was about the whole of Murda Inc movement to go with him, bar for bar and skill wise Joe would body him... Irv was a great A&R guy with Def Jam and at the start of the The Inc's era...

Actually, I'm pretty sure Ja Rule outsold Jay Z in 00.

Jay Z sold with Vol 2 and Vol 3, but Ja Rule out sold him in 00 and 01 with Rule 3:36 and Pain Is Love
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

97 - Biggie
    98 - DMX
    99 - Jay Z
    00 - Jay Z
    01 - Ja Rule
    02 - Nas
    03 - 50 Cent
    04 - 50 Cent
    05 - 50 Cent

Who you got for 95 & 96?

I got...

95-BIGGIE
    96-NAS(Granted Fugees out sold him but they from Jersey)

And would you still count record sales as a priority in being KONY in today's climate and rather it be based more on quality?
  • _Goldie_
    edited October 2015
    NO
    I don't think it's all about record sales, during ja's run, everybody in streets around here still considered Jay the king.
  • PapaDoc223
    PapaDoc223 Members Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO
    Nope. Plus alot of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans I knew growing up in Sunset Park didnt like Joe. They love Pun and Tru Lyfe but hate Joe cuz they say he didnt take care of Puns family and bit of Big Pun. I never seen a Rican Fat Joe fan.
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO
    Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkk no
  • king hassan
    NO

Right place at the right time for a big single or maybe one album (one hit wonder)... But to do it few times over isnt luck, and to be in hip hop for nearly 25 years, a quarter of a century isnt luck, he has skills... As I said I dont think he ever was K.O.N.Y, but he underrated for sure...

It's a lot of rappers way better than Fat Joe been in the game over 25 years, just luck, right time and right place and label push
  • water ur seeds
    NO
    PapaDoc223 wrote: »
    Nope. Plus alot of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans I knew growing up in Sunset Park didnt like Joe. They love Pun and Tru Lyfe but hate Joe cuz they say he didnt take care of Puns family and bit of Big Pun. I never seen a Rican Fat Joe fan.

That isnt the point though, regardless of how he treated Pun's fam (whether that was bullschitt or not) his skills as a rapper are underrated, and CEO for that matter...

It's a lot of rappers way better than Fat Joe been in the game over 25 years, just luck, right time and right place and label push

Nah I cant agree with you there, like I said you cant be in the right place at the right time for 25 years...

He has a talent as a CEO as well as a rapper, daum near every artists on his label was dope too, Remy Ma, Prospect, Charlie Hustle etc
  • PapaDoc223
    PapaDoc223 Members Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO
    I will say this Terror Squad had the potential to reach G-Unit/Murder INC status but missed alot of opportunities. Terro Squad is on of thos hip hop what ifs. The Don Cartegana Album is dope i have 2 tracks. The Hidden Hand and Triplets.