Options

Comments

• Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Abraxas wrote: »
    Just a quick note, Sam Walton is on there with $65 billion but what's crazy is that much of his fortune also got split up onto his kids, if you add Sam Walton and then the worth of his kids today he's in the top 5 (too tired to do the math right now). A testament to how powerful Wal-Mart is.

Good Lord at Bill Gates, I think Rockefeller should be #2 - the most ? up part about this tho is Mansa Musa has been dead all these years and WILL STILL become the first trillionaire, they could give all these cats more centuries and technological advancements and he's still crushing them. That's cold fam LLOLOLOLOLOL.
    Gaddafi had all that bread is still got touched.

Dude was trying to unite Africa and stop trading oil with US dollar.

"According to more than a few observers, Gadhafi’s plan to quit selling Libyan oil in U.S. dollars — demanding payment instead in gold-backed “dinars” (a single African currency made from gold) — was the real cause. The regime, sitting on massive amounts of gold, estimated at close to 150 tons, was also pushing other African and Middle Eastern governments to follow suit."

the west would've literally collapsed... say if just DR Congo were to have adhered to this, technological expansion the world over would almost grind to a halt.

No Africa and it's many countries would have been in trouble. African countries have more to gain having the U.S. as a trade partner than the other way around. America is still the largest economy in the world and currently the largest oil exporter as well.

So you're saying that if there was a gold backed currency traded by african nations....that the west could compete with any other means than military?

Countries, including the U.S. tried a gold standard before if you remember Bretton Woods and why it failed. Gold is a finite resource and also poses issues, as a country you also want to retain a paper currency in case you must print money in the event of recession should you have to stimulate your economy. There's a reason we gave up on it. In Africa's case having a gold backed currency isn't a competitive advantage, the countries out there need to figure out how to churn out their country's potential and utilize it's mass population, education and resources. Nigeria has done it, now it needs to spread. This was China's problem like 40 or 50 years ago until they found a way to maximize it's potential of it's people but even they have a long way to go.

In terms of competition now the West doesn't have to compete with African countries in that context - they're already winning in virtually every area by huge leaps and bounds, as many countries in Africa, are severely under-developed and rely on the West in some capacity. If you have a huge abundance of natural resources the rest of the world wants, why would you want to cut off half the world from potential dollars in your pocket (I'm obviously over-simplifying as it's much deeper but the same question goes). The major issue is trying to figure out how to change the shoe on the foot and swap positions. I'm for African nations being self-sufficient and in my lifetime it will become something like a China or a major developed economy but it's going to take time.

Man sometimes ? spew such illetrate rhetoric i shake my head in angst, especially coming from those you'd think are well rounded. Forget about engaging bruh, you got it.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    D0wn wrote: »
    Mansa Musa Actually inherited all the riches, from his brother who left Mali and set sail to the Americas 200 years before colombus.

His uncle not brother.
    Mansa Musa Actually inherited all the riches, from his brother who left Mali and set sail to the Americas 200 years before colombus.

did he inherit the riches...or did he inherit the empire and built upon that foundation to get those riches to that level.

i am puttin this on my list to research, you learn something new everyday
  • HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont know if English translations are available but if they are please check out the books written by the people that lived back in those days, not only from the people around mansa but also from other africans and arabs during his era and the generation after him(like ibn battuta for example.
  • HundredEyes
    Options
    Just a quick note, Sam Walton is on there with $65 billion but what's crazy is that much of his fortune also got split up onto his kids, if you add Sam Walton and then the worth of his kids today he's in the top 5 (too tired to do the math right now). A testament to how powerful Wal-Mart is.

Good Lord at Bill Gates, I think Rockefeller should be #2 - the most ? up part about this tho is Mansa Musa has been dead all these years and WILL STILL become the first trillionaire, they could give all these cats more centuries and technological advancements and he's still crushing them. That's cold fam LLOLOLOLOLOL.

"According to more than a few observers, Gadhafi’s plan to quit selling Libyan oil in U.S. dollars — demanding payment instead in gold-backed “dinars” (a single African currency made from gold) — was the real cause. The regime, sitting on massive amounts of gold, estimated at close to 150 tons, was also pushing other African and Middle Eastern governments to follow suit."

the west would've literally collapsed... say if just DR Congo were to have adhered to this, technological expansion the world over would almost grind to a halt.

No Africa and it's many countries would have been in trouble. African countries have more to gain having the U.S. as a trade partner than the other way around. America is still the largest economy in the world and currently the largest oil exporter as well.

So you're saying that if there was a gold backed currency traded by african nations....that the west could compete with any other means than military?

Countries, including the U.S. tried a gold standard before if you remember Bretton Woods and why it failed. Gold is a finite resource and also poses issues, as a country you also want to retain a paper currency in case you must print money in the event of recession should you have to stimulate your economy. There's a reason we gave up on it. In Africa's case having a gold backed currency isn't a competitive advantage, the countries out there need to figure out how to churn out their country's potential and utilize it's mass population, education and resources. Nigeria has done it, now it needs to spread. This was China's problem like 40 or 50 years ago until they found a way to maximize it's potential of it's people but even they have a long way to go.

In terms of competition now the West doesn't have to compete with African countries in that context - they're already winning in virtually every area by huge leaps and bounds, as many countries in Africa, are severely under-developed and rely on the West in some capacity. If you have a huge abundance of natural resources the rest of the world wants, why would you want to cut off half the world from potential dollars in your pocket (I'm obviously over-simplifying as it's much deeper but the same question goes). The major issue is trying to figure out how to change the shoe on the foot and swap positions. I'm for African nations being self-sufficient and in my lifetime it will become something like a China or a major developed economy but it's going to take time.

Fam, independency and self suffiency are aquired through owning your nations resources and being able to protect/ use protectionist measures to sustain it domestically(providing jobs/income for citizens) and compete internationally, there are several other pillars ofcourse but the developed world, from South Korea to Germany, all own and protect their domestic resources, services, industries etc through protectionist measures.

The Chinese build their current prosperity on total control of their nations currency and resources...the EU protects its agriculture sector from international competitors like their lives depend on it...

my point is that the EU, Japan etc are in control of their own ? . Holland build themselves back up after ww2 cause they owned their own industries.

many African nations are not in control, foreign multinationals are exploiting them from all over the world without a development plan.

Qadhafi was a son of a ? but his plan for getting an African Union modelled after the EU with a single currency and open trade/borders/movement of people and services while also having the protectionist ways of the EU would have been nothing short but a blessing for the continent.

It was no suprise the EU, US, Qatar/SA wanted him gone lol...and Libya is not even a shadow of its former self now.
  • HundredEyes
    Options
    So yeah we want to sell our products to Americans, Asians etc just like they sell their ? to us.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Need the right ppl in the lead... the lot of African leaders problems are greed and religious conflict
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Having a gold back standard is a horrible idea you people need to take an economics class
  • HundredEyes
    Options
    What is now the EU started with a coalition between small countries(Holland, Belgium, Luxemburg) and W-Germany, Italy and France...now Holland is the 2nd or 3rd greatest export nation of the world and the union is self sufficient.
    .and they started after the war...

African nations can achieve a similair union and were making steps towards it but foreign nations including the US do and did everything they can to prevent thay from happening.

Nato getting rid of Qadhafi, France regaining control of the ivory coast through direct (un backed) intervention in elections, the US and Hollands support of the seperation of the Sudan, EU upping the tariffs of african produced agriculture products making it virtually impossible for African farmers to widen their markets etc etc....

how can u emerge from a united assualt on your continent lol?
  • HundredEyes
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    Having a gold back standard is a horrible idea you people need to take an economics class

the og plan was a single currency like the euro for the AU....and replacing the petro dollar.
  • HundredEyes
    Options
    Need the right ppl in the lead... the lot of African leaders problems are greed and religious conflict

Unilever, basically all the major computer/telephone producing companies, Shell, Exxon, BP etc are causing some problems aswell...

just ask how its possible for countries like the congo and Libya to be in the state of conflict and ? they are in, yet Samsung and Shell are still getting lithium and crude oil from there like its nothing...those companies have an interest there and hire (foreign) pmc's like its nothing.

if this was a football match africans start with a 10-0 gap to make up. All these foriegn intervention etc wasnt present when the eu was formed. Its to easy to just label it greed and religious conflicts fam.

only way I see a change coming is through another great war or the Americans/Eu/Chinese etc seize their activities and stop their companies from intervering...which are both highly unlikely lol smh
  • HundredEyes
    Options
    PMCs operate in a self sustaining market aswell, scary af. But they aint ballin in the US securing ? towns like Detroit or ? downs in Europe, no, theyre ballin in the mid east n africa sponsordd by multinational companies and our governments. Mofos fighting for air fields out there and ?
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    I'm somewhere wayyyyy down on that list
  • HundredEyes
    Options
    If mofos would know the logistics behind the phone we type on, the gas we pump in our cars and the chocolate we eat, mofos would throw up in disgust
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »

His uncle not brother.

did he inherit the riches...or did he inherit the empire and built upon that foundation to get those riches to that level.

i am puttin this on my list to research, you learn something new everyday

He knew about economics and such. He always said he ain't do ? for this and establish learning centers and such.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

the og plan was a single currency like the euro for the AU....and replacing the petro dollar.

A single currency is one thing a gold backed standard is another.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If mofos would know the logistics behind the phone we type on, the gas we pump in our cars and the chocolate we eat, mofos would throw up in disgust

very true in everything that surrounds us
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Any documentaries about Gadhafi's plan regarding Africa?

nvm, found a few vids.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mrrealone wrote: »

Just curious, what's stopping someone else from picking up that idea where Gadhafi left off??

A bullet. They hemmed his ass up.
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

like anything it has its advantages and disadvantages..... the universal value of gold lends to long term stability, which africa could use. if they had enough gold, theoretically from the potential output of the entire continent, it could easily be more powerful than the pound. with which innumerable assets could be swept from under the west's feet. obviously this would never be allowed to happen but im just going off hypotheticals.

the extent of financial manipulation that is done with fiat currencies is no longer possible. but to keep it real, is this a bad thing? the fiscal policies of the fed have caused the dollars decline steadily since being removed from the gold standard. however this was needed at the time, and the temporary positive outcome cant really be compared to other how it would do for other nations due to the reserve status, which enabled the US to mitigate inflation by pushing it on other nations.

the reality of the situation is that fiat based currencies have all failed historically.

maybe a gold standard is unrealistic, but its really not as bad as you're making it out to be.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Unilever, basically all the major computer/telephone producing companies, Shell, Exxon, BP etc are causing some problems aswell...

just ask how its possible for countries like the congo and Libya to be in the state of conflict and ? they are in, yet Samsung and Shell are still getting lithium and crude oil from there like its nothing...those companies have an interest there and hire (foreign) pmc's like its nothing.

if this was a football match africans start with a 10-0 gap to make up. All these foriegn intervention etc wasnt present when the eu was formed. Its to easy to just label it greed and religious conflicts fam.

only way I see a change coming is through another great war or the Americans/Eu/Chinese etc seize their activities and stop their companies from intervering...which are both highly unlikely lol smh

Trust me I get it I'm just looking at as far as internal situations that possibly could be handled in-house... if companies can come in and put some money in your pocket to support them while bringing in foreigners to work and live there instead of hiring people who are there that's an issue if religious groups continue to go to war with each other while tearing a country apart that's going to be an issue
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If people from Mexico Africa South America middle east fight the white man he won't be in power any more. Another thing Europe needs Africa for wealth. . Africa never needed anyone for help at all
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mrrealone wrote: »

Just curious, what's stopping someone else from picking up that idea where Gadhafi left off??

Any nation that goes up against the West has their country invaded, their leaders killed and their government "restructured"
  • Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why is it every time theres a wealth list comprised of individual wealth, the Rothchild family is counted as a whole. Thats hundreds of rich and weathly people counted together. That doesnt seem to make any sense to me.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Stephen Girard reppin philly......dude personally bankrolled the Federal Government and bailed them out of financial collapse out his own pocket during the War of 1812. That's CRAAAAAAAAZY, what other businessman has ever told a whole damn country "its aiight i got u" lol
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Iron is what really put Europe in the position to rise to prominence the way it did. The abundance of it Britain and other areas allowed them to make more guns early in years and then fueled the Industrial Revolution.

Africa is pretty much in that same position now given that they have large deposits of the minerals that are necessary for most of the electronics we use these days. The African countries just haven't been able to organize and coordinate in a way that will allow them to profit...yet. Here's hoping they get it together and the continent rises.