Meet Mansa Musa I of Mali – the richest human being in all history

Options

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Its not just having resources it's making something useful out of them and being able to market it. Who cares about your resources if they aren't useful?

The only reason anyone gives a ? about Africa is because it has marketable resources. In order for any change to happen they will have to make useful products with them.

As long as other people know more about your resource's capabilities than you do, you will always lose.

Theres a difference between cocoa and chocolate. Theres a difference between raw diamonds and what the jewelry store sells. The money to be made if vastly different, the labor is worth it.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Abraxas wrote: »
    zzombie wrote: »
    Having a gold back standard is a horrible idea you people need to take an economics class

like anything it has its advantages and disadvantages..... the universal value of gold lends to long term stability, which africa could use. if they had enough gold, theoretically from the potential output of the entire continent, it could easily be more powerful than the pound. with which innumerable assets could be swept from under the west's feet. obviously this would never be allowed to happen but im just going off hypotheticals.

the extent of financial manipulation that is done with fiat currencies is no longer possible. but to keep it real, is this a bad thing? the fiscal policies of the fed have caused the dollars decline steadily since being removed from the gold standard. however this was needed at the time, and the temporary positive outcome cant really be compared to other how it would do for other nations due to the reserve status, which enabled the US to mitigate inflation by pushing it on other nations.

the reality of the situation is that fiat based currencies have all failed historically.

maybe a gold standard is unrealistic, but its really not as bad as you're making it out to be.

The gold standard is horrible in the modern world because it would be less flexible and would limit growth financial manipulation when done by governments for the right reasons when needed can be a good thing
  • HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    xxCivicxx wrote: »
    mrrealone wrote: »
    Gaddafi had all that bread is still got touched.

Dude was trying to unite Africa and stop trading oil with US dollar.

"According to more than a few observers, Gadhafi’s plan to quit selling Libyan oil in U.S. dollars — demanding payment instead in gold-backed “dinars” (a single African currency made from gold) — was the real cause. The regime, sitting on massive amounts of gold, estimated at close to 150 tons, was also pushing other African and Middle Eastern governments to follow suit."

Just curious, what's stopping someone else from picking up that idea where Gadhafi left off??

Any nation that goes up against the West has their country invaded, their leaders killed and their government "restructured"

yeah this is the elephant in the room so called cross cultural and economic experts always tend to ignore.

people acting like a self sufficient african union wouldnt be against western interest lol.
  • HundredEyes
    Options
    The ruler who preceded me did not believe that it was impossible to reach the extremity of the ocean that encircles the earth (meaning the Atlantic). He wanted to reach that (end) and was determined to pursue his plan. So he equipped two hundred boats full of men, and many others full of gold, water and provisions sufficient for several years. He ordered the captain not to return until they had reached the other end of the ocean, or until he had exhausted the provisions and water. So they set out on their journey. They were absent for a long period, and, at last just one boat returned. When questioned the captain replied: 'O Prince, we navigated for a long period, until we saw in the midst of the ocean a great river which flowing massively. My boat was the last one; others were ahead of me, and they were drowned in the great whirlpool and never came out again. I sailed back to escape this current.' But the Sultan would not believe him. He ordered two thousand boats to be equipped for him and his men, and one thousand more for water and provisions. Then he conferred the regency on me for the term of his absence, and departed with his men, never to return nor to give a sign of life."
    —Mansa Musa
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thread is dripping in revisionist history, and theory is trumping reality. Lot of ifs and coulds

Ghadaffi was a tyrant and minus the threat of fear he was NEVER gonna get the support needed to put in place what he wanted, hence his demise.

On the IC everyone is exhaulted after the fact

• A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    How did he make his wealth? I would need to know this before I celebrate this.
  • HundredEyes
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    Thread is dripping in revisionist history, and theory is trumping reality. Lot of ifs and coulds

Ghadaffi was a tyrant and minus the threat of fear he was NEVER gonna get the support needed to put in place what he wanted, hence his demise.

On the IC everyone is exhaulted after the fact

lol if u mean he didnt have US or other western support than yes youre right but he had the title king of kings and was supported by the african union and public prominent figures like Mandela...

The plans didnt go through cause Libya got bombed into oblivion by the US/Nato. Not some minor event....Libya hasnt been this ? up since it was still an Italian colony...
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    xxCivicxx wrote: »
    mrrealone wrote: »
    Gaddafi had all that bread is still got touched.

Dude was trying to unite Africa and stop trading oil with US dollar.

"According to more than a few observers, Gadhafi’s plan to quit selling Libyan oil in U.S. dollars — demanding payment instead in gold-backed “dinars” (a single African currency made from gold) — was the real cause. The regime, sitting on massive amounts of gold, estimated at close to 150 tons, was also pushing other African and Middle Eastern governments to follow suit."

Just curious, what's stopping someone else from picking up that idea where Gadhafi left off??

Any nation that goes up against the West has their country invaded, their leaders killed and their government "restructured"

yeah this is the elephant in the room so called cross cultural and economic experts always tend to ignore.

people acting like a self sufficient african union wouldnt be against western interest lol.

As people who are African descent one has to ask oneself can we ever become independent from the white man?
  • Koltrain
    Koltrain Members Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ghadafi was killed for wanting to stop trading oil in american dollars...in addition to that, he rejected the idea of having a central bank. If you follow world events, you will see that every invasion done by the US/nato is followed by the establishment of a central bank in the conquered country. They did this in Iraq and Libya. Its only a few countries left that do not have a central bank...i know Syria and north korea are among the few that don't. Its all about money..
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The ruler who preceded me did not believe that it was impossible to reach the extremity of the ocean that encircles the earth (meaning the Atlantic). He wanted to reach that (end) and was determined to pursue his plan. So he equipped two hundred boats full of men, and many others full of gold, water and provisions sufficient for several years. He ordered the captain not to return until they had reached the other end of the ocean, or until he had exhausted the provisions and water. So they set out on their journey. They were absent for a long period, and, at last just one boat returned. When questioned the captain replied: 'O Prince, we navigated for a long period, until we saw in the midst of the ocean a great river which flowing massively. My boat was the last one; others were ahead of me, and they were drowned in the great whirlpool and never came out again. I sailed back to escape this current.' But the Sultan would not believe him. He ordered two thousand boats to be equipped for him and his men, and one thousand more for water and provisions. Then he conferred the regency on me for the term of his absence, and departed with his men, never to return nor to give a sign of life."
    —Mansa Musa

i need to find that route and deep sea dive for that gold
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How did he make his wealth? I would need to know this before I celebrate this.

He sold ? ? in the 80's... the 1280's
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    D0wn wrote: »
    Mansa Musa Actually inherited all the riches, from his brother who left Mali and set sail to the Americas 200 years before colombus.

His uncle not brother.
    Mansa Musa Actually inherited all the riches, from his brother who left Mali and set sail to the Americas 200 years before colombus.

did he inherit the riches...or did he inherit the empire and built upon that foundation to get those riches to that level.

i am puttin this on my list to research, you learn something new everyday

He inherit riches and the empire, but also built it , to the next level. To the point The Mali empire became the center of the world.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options

His uncle not brother.

did he inherit the riches...or did he inherit the empire and built upon that foundation to get those riches to that level.

He inherit riches and the empire, but also built it , to the next level. To the point The Mali empire became the center of the world.

the fact that he is black and did this and didnt hold a ball or a mic or had to ? ...should get points.

he also didnt have to manipulate people, steal people or ? millions or invade for it....he gets more points

he helped build Timbuktu into the most important hub in that era by bringing the worlds greatest minds back to his country.....

gates stole his idea that most OS systems are built upon
    Rothchilds are evil and needed to control money and wars
    the walmart people maipulate cheap labor and ? on healthcare for those same people they get rich from...
    the rest built on stolen land and people and inherited money thru death, killing disease and war.

yea hes GOAT
  • S2J
    Options
    Bet money if the IC was around when ? killed himself yall would b on some 'Things were working until the US got involved. Man yall know ? didnt ? HIMSELF. The US wanted ____ so the CIA....'

Not EVERY fuking regime the US wants to take down is righteous.

? underdog ?
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    You say that as if the US is righteous.
  • S2J
    edited November 2015
    Options
    _Goldie_ wrote: »

No ? , pay attention. Thats why i put 'EVERY' in all caps

People on here act like all foreign entities that are underdogs are righteous!

I've literally seen folk use that logic with Bin Laden

'The US creaed Bin Laden. He wsnt that bad they forced his hand'. That type ?

And how can a country be righteous when it has enemies lol Tha ? are you talkin bout. People get so caught up in demonizing the US but u sittin there enjoying the fruits of that top
    dog status. Hypocrits man.

US done a ton of foul shot but aye a 1 way ticket to wherever aint thag expensive. If you really feel that way BOUNCE. But you wont tho
  • Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Someone please explain to us why a single currency, for a continent with a lot countries is a good idea. Because it worked so well with the Euro.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

His uncle not brother.

the fact that he is black and did this and didnt hold a ball or a mic or had to ? ...should get points.

he also didnt have to manipulate people, steal people or ? millions or invade for it....he gets more points

he helped build Timbuktu into the most important hub in that era by bringing the worlds greatest minds back to his country.....

gates stole his idea that most OS systems are built upon
    Rothchilds are evil and needed to control money and wars
    the walmart people maipulate cheap labor and ? on healthcare for those same people they get rich from...
    the rest built on stolen land and people and inherited money thru death, killing disease and war.

yea hes GOAT

And his charity was ruined people's economies and then he realized his mistake and rebuilt Egypt's economy and stabilizing them once he gave so much gold it made gold worthless. He was very giving and humble.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options

And how can a country be righteous when it has enemies lol Tha ? are you talkin bout. People get so caught up in demonizing the US but u sittin there enjoying the fruits of that top

US done a ton of foul shot but aye a 1 way ticket to wherever aint thag expensive. If you really feel that way BOUNCE. But you wont tho

Lol what kind of ? boy/house ? ? is this?

"Yea the US may have enslaved my ancestors and striped us from our history, but I sure do loves me's some popeyes. Yall can leave if ya wants , but I's stays here wif master"

• HundredEyes
    Options
    Bet money if the IC was around when ? killed himself yall would b on some 'Things were working until the US got involved. Man yall know ? didnt ? HIMSELF. The US wanted ____ so the CIA....'

Not EVERY fuking regime the US wants to take down is righteous.

? underdog ?

allusion doesnt make any sense son, facts are that the African Union was about to set things in motion to go EU style but your cap murica mindset is to fixated on Libya's former government n Qadhafi...instead of what it would have meant for countries like Ghana, Algeria, Kenya etc but also non member states like Niger, Mauritania etc etc.

Do u get it yet? The Nato/US stopped the developed of not one country but 30, from Burundi to the Ivory Coast...

but yeah youre right though, ? Mandela and Qadhafi's visions of a self sufficient independent Africa. Qadhafi was a tyrant and African nations had no business thinking they could actually start regulating and developing their economies and resources together. Wtf were Kenya and Cameroon even thinking lol.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Lol what kind of ? boy/house ? ? is this?

"Yea the US may have enslaved my ancestors and striped us from our history, but I sure do loves me's some popeyes. Yall can leave if ya wants , but I's stays here wif master"

Yeah that was ? cooney. I'm going to enjoy some of America due to my ancestors labor and the destruction of our communities. The moment you forget evil it will happen to YOU or your Children. You are to never forget history cause it's UNIVERSAL WISDOM. Why go back to the caves when you can acknowledge and learn from your past and stand on the shoulders of everyone who came before you.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Iron is what really put Europe in the position to rise to prominence the way it did. The abundance of it Britain and other areas allowed them to make more guns early in years and then fueled the Industrial Revolution.

Africa is pretty much in that same position now given that they have large deposits of the minerals that are necessary for most of the electronics we use these days. The African countries just haven't been able to organize and coordinate in a way that will allow them to profit...yet. Here's hoping they get it together and the continent rises.

Damn you put a great soft touch on the bold.

Fact is whenever these African countries have tried to organize that ? is destroyed by outsiders. This happens because in keeping these countries in continuous states of chaos it allows the outsiders the opportunity rob them blind while giving warlords barely crumbs off the table. The ? faux governments and warlords need to realize they are being played against each other by the same people and by going along with the ? they will never have real power or long lasting money.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shout out the brothers educated on Gadaffi. He didn't ? off a country he was assassinated. That was a African who stood up against the corrupt ways of Europe and America. Had his vision panned out we would've felt the affects heavily. Honestly it probably would've ? us up lol. But his vision for Africa was dope.
  • HundredEyes
    Options
    Lurker6 wrote: »
    Someone please explain to us why a single currency, for a continent with a lot countries is a good idea. Because it worked so well with the Euro.

Single currency can only be implemented when a union already is in a stable state, so when free travel/trade/movement of people/work etc are already in place, infrastructure and development of industries first....a single currency has obvious economic benefits.

believe it or not but the euro actually made the EU stronger, not only domestically(greater economy) but also politically. The euro aint going anywhere.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Always two sides... Know both, the truth in the middle