The 2017 MLB Thread

Comments

• ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ckfree wrote: »
    thing is, dude is 18 so he is at least 2 years away -- at the least -- so this idea they saying that they will be ready to compete by 2017 isnt realistic and at some point they need to start parlaying some of those chips into a hitter or two

The braves reportedly like soler and they have plenty of pitching prospects.So I can see a possible soler trade to the braves for teheran,miller or a couple of their pitching prospects.

cleveland needs to improve their offense too

they were at the bottom despite having a top pitching staff

i could see the cubs trading with one of those two teams

im interested to see how theo operates this winter he gave out some bad contracts in boston but that couldve been pressure from LL + ownership i dont know
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thing is, dude is 18 so he is at least 2 years away -- at the least -- so this idea they saying that they will be ready to compete by 2017 isnt realistic and at some point they need to start parlaying some of those chips into a hitter or two

The braves reportedly like soler and they have plenty of pitching prospects.So I can see a possible soler trade to the braves for teheran,miller or a couple of their pitching prospects.

im interested to see how theo operates this winter he gave out some bad contracts in boston but that couldve been pressure from LL + ownership i dont know

Yea the indians the other team that reportedly likes soler too.I'm hearing salazar or carrasco will be most likely moved for a bat

I don't think theo has dough to spend like that this winter,don't get me wrong they got dough to spend but they can't splurge on multiple big contracts until ricketts pays off the debt from when he bought the cubs which will be 2019.I think if theo signs a pitcher it will be zimmerman or shark unless price takes significantly less and they'll acquire one via trade(soler,castro or baez getting moved).Cubs said they want to get their own network after this current tv deal expires when that happens they'll be on the dodgers and yankees level of spending.
  • ckfree

Yea the indians the other team that reportedly likes soler too.I'm hearing salazar or carrasco will be most likely moved for a bat

I don't think theo has dough to spend like that this winter,don't get me wrong they got dough to spend but they can't splurge on multiple big contracts until ricketts pays off the debt from when he bought the cubs which will be 2019.I think if theo signs a pitcher it will be zimmerman or shark unless price takes significantly less and they'll acquire one via trade(soler,castro or baez getting moved).Cubs said they want to get their own network after this current tv deal expires when that happens they'll be on the dodgers and yankees level of spending.

yeah i was reading about that

price will be super expensive no way i see him taking less so they have to be careful signing him because if they do they could possibly lose arrieta in a couple years -- then in 2018/2019 they will be paying two pitchers past the age of 30 like 60 million at a time when all their hitters will want to get paid

if i was a cub fan i wouldnt trip at all it they go after a slightly lesser pitcher like shark who will give them more flexibility in later years and trading for another starter rather than just going after a big fish

they really just need a couple of solid pitchers to make the rotation deeper and maybe with a stronger back end and theyre good (on the pitching side)
  • Tommy bilfiger

yeah i was reading about that

price will be super expensive no way i see him taking less so they have to be careful signing him because if they do they could possibly lose arrieta in a couple years -- then in 2018/2019 they will be paying two pitchers past the age of 30 like 60 million at a time when all their hitters will want to get paid

if i was a cub fan i wouldnt trip at all it they go after a slightly lesser pitcher like shark who will give them more flexibility in later years and trading for another starter rather than just going after a big fish

they really just need a couple of solid pitchers to make the rotation deeper and maybe with a stronger back end and theyre good (on the pitching side)

Basically.I ain't gonna front tho I'd love to get price or grienke cuz that would be a nasty trio for any team to face in a series and they could backload a contract to either of them so it aint out he realm of possibility.As far as arrieta goes I gotta see him pitch good 2 more years,obviously not at the level he was on this year but I need to see consistency before they talk extensions
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Red Sox acquired Craig Kimbrel
    Top outfield prospect Manuel Margot and lefty Logan Allen are two pieces of the return going to San Diego, Josh Norris of Baseball America reports (Twitter links). Likewise, infielder Carlos Asuaje is heading to the Pads, per Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports (on Twitter). And shortstop Javier Guerra is another piece being shipped out of Boston, Alex Speier of the Boston Globe tweets.
  • MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    Yea that's some ? , ? Kimbrell too!

From what I read it looks like they gave up some pretty good prospects...that's GOAT, hopefully Kimbrell is terrible for them and all the prospects they traded end up being great lol.
  • ckfree
    1 top 50 prospect and another soon to be top 50 prospect for a closer

could have just resigned andrew miller last year

obviously a nice piece for a team that struggled in the pen but they gave up a lot but if kc proved anything -- its that a dominant bullpen can largely compensate for the ills of a lesser starting rotation + margot was gonna be log jammed anyway with all the outfielders boston already has
  • ckfree
    i dont know why teams with trash farm systems like the chicago white sox dont implore that 2012 marlin strategy

yeah the circumstances were very different but every trade deadline teams oversell for a front line pitcher or a big bat around the deadline hoping to make a playoff push

hahn need to throw 30 million to price or greinke

let them ball out for 3 months and then trade their ? for a slew of top tier prospects at the deadline

Westrbook.gif
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Keep hearing Baez or Soler are strong possibilities to get traded

dmx-crying-o.gif
  • ckfree
  • Tommy bilfiger
    edited November 2015
    Kris bryant named NL rookie of the year,big ups to the kid.He had alot of hype before his debut and lived up to it

Edit : Carlos Correa The AL rookie of the year
  • Tommy bilfiger

well

thats a development

ff true, of course

This might change the game cuz I read the dodgers were trying to lower payroll,But I also read they wanted to bring grienke back and he said he loved that team.I'll believe it when I see it,don't see how they can lose grienke and not add another starter and if I was the dodgers I'd be petrified he'd end up on especially frisco or the cubs
  • ckfree

well

thats a development

ff true, of course

This might change the game cuz I read the dodgers were trying to lower payroll,But I also read they wanted to bring grienke back and he said he loved that team.I'll believe it when I see it,don't see how they can lose grienke and not add another starter and if I was the dodgers I'd be petrified he'd end up on especially frisco or the cubs

thats a good call

the giants have to get a pitcher

have to

they swung and missed on lester last year and supposedly the giants werent tripping because they knew this free agent class would be better

maybe thats why they let aoki walk to free up more money

man if the wc race was any idication the market should be interesting in the al especially because a lot of teams have to think theyre not far away from being contenders whereas theres a lot of bad teams in the nl
  • Tommy bilfiger

well

thats a development

ff true, of course

thats a good call

the giants have to get a pitcher

have to

they swung and missed on lester last year and supposedly the giants werent tripping because they knew this free agent class would be better

maybe thats why they let aoki walk to free up more money

man if the wc race was any idication the market should be interesting in the al especially because a lot of teams have to think theyre not far away from being contenders whereas theres a lot of bad teams in the nl

Yup they got dough to spend.I wouldn't be surprised at all if they signed an ace like price or grienke AND added a zimmerman,leake or shark.It's gonna be an even year next year smdh only reason the giants missed the playoffs was injuries.That's the team to watch in free agency
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    S/O to Correa winning AL rookie of the year
  • ckfree
    mark buehrle used to always get white sox fans mad when he would talk about how he would love to retire playing for his hometown team

the stl cardinals

watch him either retire or go play for them smh

his last 3-4 starts where he got rocked for like 50 runs isnt indicative of what he is and he still posted a solid era for the year -- i can definitely see him filling in the lackey role of the elder statesman who can still pitch effectively that the cardinals seem to have every year
  • Rum Middleton
    Rum Middleton Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Whats up wit Cespedes and Murphy though?
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Davis Ortiz retiring after 2016 season
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davis Ortiz retiring after 2016 season

Ath they asked.Blackstone what he gonna give ortiz he said certainly not the mitchell report lmaoooo
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator

We'll see. Wouldn't blame him if he wants to be traded.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    I doubt they trade fernandez unless they get an offer they can't refuse.It's another situation where boras was trying to tell front offices how to handle his client
    Multiple high-placed sources told MLB.com that the club is not shopping or intending to shop the 23-year-old, who is one of the most popular players in recent team history.
  • ckfree
    boras ? aside (as if you needed anymore reason than that) i think the marlins also know fernandez has a delivery that could result in lingering arm problems -- they were talking about him on mlb network last year and i remember them all agreeing that unless he learns to rotate his elbow more externally around the time his front foot plants that there is a high chance he gets hurt again

they also said its really not a difficult change BUT he would likely experience a dip in stuff because of it

white sox need to float sale name around too because his mechanics are a disaster but they seem to work for him physically -- hes had a couple of minor injuries and last year really got me thinking if theyre starting to get to him and if his injuries will be worse as he ages -- now it could be that sale is a freak of nature that can stay healthy despite the amount of pressure/torque placed on his shoulder and elbow but if a team wants to give up the farm for him then ? finding out

and thats what i think the marlins are doing

fernandez special and even with the injury risk worth trying to get signed long term but it doesnt hurt to float his name around to see if a team like the cubs would bite and then come out vehemently against it
  • ckfree
    the playoffs through winter meetings are the most exciting times in baseball (trade deadline sometimes too)

cant wait for the hot stove to really heat up around mid december