The 2017 MLB Thread

Comments

• Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    ckfree wrote: »
    I like every move theo has made so far. Smart signings,Not blowin money fast

building up the bullpen with solid pitchers if justin wilson can bounce back it makes it even better(Don't want davis back, please let him walk)

Read yesterday cubs were talkin to the indians about salazar. I said how the cubs operate in the off season will tell me what their future plans are.

This definitely makes me think the cubs are going in for bryce harper next winter

i think the cubs are going to have a disappointing offseason for some fans (the meatheads) but the cubs are well in position to grab a big fish next offseason to the point where its worth it to spend wisely right now

i expect the cardinals to make a big move this offseason whether thats trading for machado or donaldson or something else

the cubs will be fine in the long run though

I already know. There's several people (on & offline) complaining "the cubs aren't doing anything"

everybody aren't gonna be the yankees (who needed starting pitching more than they need stanton). I hate short sighted people

If you know how theo operates he will target harper and probably trade heyward one year from right now

As far as 2018 they're hoping the bullpen is stronger,the hitters progress under davis(in az workin with heyward right now) and the pitching & defense improve under hickey and butterfield. What do these casuals fools prefer? re-sign davis who is falling off to a 4 year 60 mil contract and arrieta or darvish who both are 31? Foh man
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like every move theo has made so far. Smart signings,Not blowin money fast

building up the bullpen with solid pitchers if justin wilson can bounce back it makes it even better(Don't want davis back, please let him walk)

Read yesterday cubs were talkin to the indians about salazar. I said how the cubs operate in the off season will tell me what their future plans are.

This definitely makes me think the cubs are going in for bryce harper next winter

i think the cubs are going to have a disappointing offseason for some fans (the meatheads) but the cubs are well in position to grab a big fish next offseason to the point where its worth it to spend wisely right now

i expect the cardinals to make a big move this offseason whether thats trading for machado or donaldson or something else

the cubs will be fine in the long run though

I already know. There's several people (on & offline) complaining "the cubs aren't doing anything"

everybody aren't gonna be the yankees (who needed starting pitching more than they need stanton). I hate short sighted people

If you know how theo operates he will target harper and probably trade heyward one year from right now

As far as 2018 they're hoping the bullpen is stronger,the hitters progress under davis(in az workin with heyward right now) and the pitching & defense improve under hickey and butterfield. What do these casuals fools prefer? re-sign davis who is falling off to a 4 year 60 mil contract and arrieta or darvish who both are 31? Foh man

word many of the cubs problems can be solved with internal improvement

thats the thing i respect about theo and jed -- when the cubs have holes to fill they dont wait around to address them -- they identify targets earlier and seal the deal -- i dont know how good chatwood will make the rotation but i would trust they make it better -- same with Morrow in the bullpen -- with the starting rotation almost full and adding a late inning impact arm like morrow cubs can focus on some bargains

stockpiling a few more bullpen arms and some position depth

in particular some high OBP/contact hitters
  • ckfree
  • ckfree
  • Tommy bilfiger

I'd send caratini and a lower level mid tier pitching/position prospect.

In the comments these fools talkin bout alzolay or albertos for britton lmaooo
  • ckfree

lmao

this is great

ok we will trade him but we have to make sure he never goes to the yankees

no idea how they make sure that dosent happen but funny to come out and say it .
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Machado should ride out the season and sign with the Yankees just outta spite now
  • time_is_mon3y
    time_is_mon3y Members Posts: 250 ✭✭
    Phillies acquire 1B Carlos santana. Big loss for Cleveland huge gain for Philly
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Cozart to the angels. Angels slowly getting a good team coming along
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phillies acquire 1B Carlos santana. Big loss for Cleveland huge gain for Philly

Indians will survive trust me
  • ckfree
    peter angelos is the most ridiculous, psychotic, narcissistic owner in all of baseball

if he dont want teams to trade manny to the yankees

GMs better cost that into their trade offer then
  • Tommy bilfiger
    http://www.espn.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/46311/why-cubs-should-make-addison-russell-for-manny-machado-blockbuster-deal

@ckfree what you think about this? I'm 60/40 do it, but orioles would have to add a pitcher(britton & a young pitcher) or somethin
  • ckfree
    if i were a cub fan

my mind would telling me no
    if the cubs trade russell they need young controllable starting pitching

archer
    fulmer
    stroman
    etc

not an additional infielder

the cubs have a surplus of young great infielders

they dont need to add to that area of strength

but my heart would be telling me yes
    because sometimes russell looks like he will be a 270/30/100 guy but other times he looks more like 220/20/80

even though manny had a down year last season he has already shown numbers higher than russell ceiling

so in this scenario i would need to know if signing machado long term make harper to the cubs impossible

if so?

no deal
  • Tommy bilfiger
    edited December 2017
    In a stunning swap of big contracts, the Dodgers have traded first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, left-hander Scott Kazmir, right-hander Brandon McCarthy and infielder Charlie Culberson to the Braves in exchange for outfielder Matt Kemp.

:o

• ckfree
    the ol garbage for garbage trade

dodgers must be in on yu or a pitcher cause it leaves them down 1
  • Tommy bilfiger
    edited December 2017
    the ol garbage for garbage trade

dodgers must be in on yu or a pitcher cause it leaves them down 1

I think it was more to get under the tax. Dodgers cakin but they were in the tax for years
    The club has been over the tax threshold for five straight seasons, paying a total of $113.5 million in tax from 2013-16, and will have a bill of at least $25 million more for 2017 per the Associated Press, and probably a little more since that estimate was based on opening day payrolls.

The luxury tax threshold will be $197 million in 2018, $206 million in 2019. The Dodgers are currently paying at a 50% rate for any payroll over the threshold as a repeat offender. At some point the club would likely prefer to get under the threshold to avoid the tax, since that would reset the penalties going forward, starting at 20% for the first year over, 30% the second year, then 50%.

Ironically japanese news saying the cubs are the "dominant candidate" of yu darvish

Don't know exactly what dominant candidate means but cobbs price gotta be higher than anticipated or he woulda been signed already.
  • ckfree
    i would be very concerned about the years and money for a 31 year old pitcher with that kind of mileage

gotta trust theo judgement though

could be a smart play to go in on yu if the market has been slow for him and if youre able to get him for a little more than cobb you do it all day
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kemp gone, no biggie. About time to call up Ronald Acuna.
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    However, Ken Rosenthal reports Kemp is "unlikely" to play for the Dodgers, who will look to trade or release him in order to save on the luxury tax but damn sad to see culberson go

giphy.gif
  • Tommy bilfiger
    This gotta be the slowest hot stove ever

A week before Christmas and Chatwood & Santana the biggest signings
  • Tommy bilfiger
  • ckfree

i think everybody getting ready for next year

the white sox have like $9 million committed for 2019

they have given every indication that they will be serious players next year in free agency which i believe because the one thing the machado interest proves is that they are willing to truly open the wallet for 2019 — that is newsworthy in and of itself to me but they timed that ? wrong -- i can already see agents (boras specifically) using the white sox to squeeze more money out of the other big spenders and i dont think machado gets traded because i dont see a reason why a rational team would give the Os an established cost controlled player + top prospects for one year of machado

its mid level prospects or nothing
  • ckfree
    realmuto could bring in a big package

he might bring more than yelich

he would make a ton of sense for the nationals

wieters is terrible and severino is a backup catcher
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Realmuto is awesome. Wooo boy the Marlins are gonna be trash for years to come
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Yelich is unhappy and will have a meeting with hill. Get him outta there too