Article: The video that will rip Chicago apart — and why you need to see it..

Options

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the chi is a big city.

thats all the people they could get....

we gotta do better
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the chi is a big city.

we gotta do better

i was out there * shrugs* its cold and rainy as ?
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To much gang beef for ? to be walking side by side kumbyyaaaa
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Go figure wrote: »
    I couldnt understand why rahm got reelected in the first place. Somehow I think he will get voted in again.

? gotta be rigged

I didn't vote for his ass neither time. I didn't understand.

Carol Moseley Braun got my vote the minute she called that lady a crackhead in a debate.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why do yall even acknowledge these detractors?

Exactly.

But you got some on here talking about "I agree with some of what you said." The ? you mean you agree? Smh.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Options
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »
    To much gang beef for ? to be walking side by side kumbyyaaaa

it was mostly peaceful...there was a minor dustup but nothing major while I was out there
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    the chi is a big city.

we gotta do better

I hate ? like this. This ? is all the way in sweeden, telling ? in chicago what to do.

fukk you an your small ideas.

you have no idea what i do from this distance which is more than you can do in a life time.

while you hate ? like me...? like me are paving the way for ? like you and you dont even know it.

but all you know is im in europe....and hate and become part of the problem.

like i said before...get to my level then holla at me
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    the chi is a big city.

we gotta do better

I hate ? like this. This ? is all the way in sweeden, telling ? in chicago what to do.

fukk you an your small ideas.

you have no idea what i do from this distance which is more than you can do in a life time.

while you hate ? like me...? like me are paving the way for ? like you and you dont even know it.

but all you know is im in europe....and hate and become part of the problem.

like i said before...get to my level then holla at me

rsz_2120070209-00000004-oric-ent-view-000.jpg
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People were mad today. They couldn't get in stores so they can fight over sweaters and veggie steamers.
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    One more unjust police shooting happens in Chicago the city will blowup IMP. I am surprised how calm it is. Chicago been known to riot, but ever since the 70s these ? don't have that fire no more
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.si.com/nba/2015/11/28/miami-heat-dwyane-wade-laquan-mcdonald-tribute
    Miami Heat G Dwyane Wade pays tribute to Laquan McDonald on shoes

Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade paid tribute to slain teenager Laquan McDonald on his shoes Friday night.

McDonald, 17, was shot 16 times by a police officer in Chicago in October of last year. Dashboard-camera footage of the shooting was released to the public last week.

Wade grew up in Robbins, Ill., a suburb on the south side of Chicago. He paid tribute to McDonald by writing his name on his shoes for the Heat’s game against the New York Knicks.

• blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited November 2015
    Options
    http://www.aol.com/article/2015/11/29/burger-king-manager-told-grand-jury-about-missing-laquan-mcdonal/21274465/

The horrible video of a teenager being shot 16 times by a Chicago cop is being seen all over the world, but it appears some video from the scene has gone missing.
    The manager of a Burger King near the scene says his surveillance video was erased by police, and WGN has learned that he's told that to a federal grand jury.
    The Burger King at 41st and Pulaski is about 50 yards away from the spot where Laquan McDonald was fatally shot by a CPD officer. While we know more about what happened the night of Oct. 20, 2014, it's what happened hours later, inside the Burger King, that federal investigators are still fleshing out.

The restaurant's manager has insisted for months that his surveillance system was tampered with by the very police officers he was trying to help. He says 86 minutes of video from around the time of the shooting was erased. His statements Friday support what lawyers for the McDonald family first told WGN news back on Nov. 18.
    "A police detective and a technician went into the Burger King...and the Burger King employees, including the manager, looked at the video, and found about 83 minutes of video that were missing, which included the time the shooting occurred, " attorney Michael Robbins said.

In announcing murder charges Tuesday against officer Jason Van ? , State's Attorney Anita Alvarez said there was no evidence that video had been deleted: "It doesn't appear that they've been tampered with, and did not reveal any of that kind of evidence."
    When pressed on the same question at his own press conference later the same day, Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy stood alongside Mayor Emanuel and put it even more emphatically: "It's absolutely not true, and I think the State's Attorney addressed that today. There were apparently technical difficulties, but in no way, shape or form that anything was tampered with, and I think she covered that."

Additionally, the Burger King manager told WGN that police, somewhat ironically were also caught on the same surveillance system deleting files. He says the FBI now has that video.

Idiots.....
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    http://www.aol.com/article/2015/11/29/burger-king-manager-told-grand-jury-about-missing-laquan-mcdonal/21274465/

The horrible video of a teenager being shot 16 times by a Chicago cop is being seen all over the world, but it appears some video from the scene has gone missing.
    The manager of a Burger King near the scene says his surveillance video was erased by police, and WGN has learned that he's told that to a federal grand jury.
    The Burger King at 41st and Pulaski is about 50 yards away from the spot where Laquan McDonald was fatally shot by a CPD officer. While we know more about what happened the night of Oct. 20, 2014, it's what happened hours later, inside the Burger King, that federal investigators are still fleshing out.

The restaurant's manager has insisted for months that his surveillance system was tampered with by the very police officers he was trying to help. He says 86 minutes of video from around the time of the shooting was erased. His statements Friday support what lawyers for the McDonald family first told WGN news back on Nov. 18.
    "A police detective and a technician went into the Burger King...and the Burger King employees, including the manager, looked at the video, and found about 83 minutes of video that were missing, which included the time the shooting occurred, " attorney Michael Robbins said.

In announcing murder charges Tuesday against officer Jason Van ? , State's Attorney Anita Alvarez said there was no evidence that video had been deleted: "It doesn't appear that they've been tampered with, and did not reveal any of that kind of evidence."
    When pressed on the same question at his own press conference later the same day, Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy stood alongside Mayor Emanuel and put it even more emphatically: "It's absolutely not true, and I think the State's Attorney addressed that today. There were apparently technical difficulties, but in no way, shape or form that anything was tampered with, and I think she covered that."

Additionally, the Burger King manager told WGN that police, somewhat ironically were also caught on the same surveillance system deleting files. He says the FBI now has that video.

Idiots.....

this ? is funny

but why didnt the fbi do something 13 months ago
  • stringer bell
    edited November 2015
    Options

Stephen A. talks about the senseless killing of Chicago teen Laquan McDonald and how it's outrageous that it took 13 months to charge the police officer with first-degree murder.

Stephen A. is trying to earn some real ? points...
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Stephen A. talks about the senseless killing of Chicago teen Laquan McDonald and how it's outrageous that it took 13 months to charge the police officer with first-degree murder.

Stephen A. is trying to earn some real ? points...

...still an Uncle Tom though
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/11/30/chicago-cop-who-shot-laquan-mcdonald-back-court/76555986/
    Judge sets $1.5 million bail for Chicago cop who killed teen

CHICAGO — A judge set bail at $1.5 million for the Chicago police officer charged with first-degree murder for fatally shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald.

Officer Jason Van ? has been in jail since Tuesday after prosecutors charged him with the Oct. 20, 2014, shooting of McDonald. Also on Tuesday, the city released dashcam video that shows the teen, who is black, being shot by Van ? , who is white. Van ? allegedly fired 16 times.

Protesters took to Chicago streets for several days after the video release and the announcement of the charges.

Judge Donald Panarese Jr. noted before setting the bail Monday that Van ? is presumed innocent.

Daniel Herbert, Van ? 's attorney, argued that Van ? is no threat to the public and should be given a reasonable bond. The attorney expressed relief after the judge set bond.

"We are hopeful that Jason will be able to post in the very near future, and this will be just the next chapter in Jason's life," Herbert said.

Van ? appeared in court Tuesday for a bond hearing, but prosecutors did not present the judge with the dashcam video. Panarese ordered lawyers to return to court Monday afternoon, so he could decide on bail after viewing the video.

The video shows McDonald, who prosecutors say punctured a tire of a squad car prior to the shooting, veering away from police when Van ? shoots the teen. Van ? fired 13 of the shots while McDonald was on the ground, the video shows.

Chicago police released a dashcam video Tuesday showing the shooting of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald, who was killed by an officer in October 2014. The officer, Jason Van ? , has been charged with first-degree murder. VPC

The video is at odds with a narrative pushed by the department and police union that McDonald, who prosecutors said had ? in his system and was holding a knife with a 3-inch blade, lunged at Van ? before he opened fire.

The shooting lasted about 15 seconds. Five other officers, who were dispatched to the scene after police received a 911 call that McDonald was brandishing a knife and had been breaking into cars, did not fire their weapons.

Dean Angelo, president of the Chicago police union, said after Monday's hearing that the union continues to stand by Van ? . He said that fellow officers have donated an undisclosed sum to a bail fund set up by Van ? 's wife.

"I think (the video shows) Officer Van ? steps into training mode and takes action that we believe at that time was justified," Angelo said.

Herbert said his client feared for his life and was acting out of self-defense. He added that the video doesn't portray the full portrait of what led to the shooting and that his client would ultimately be vindicated when all the evidence is presented at trial.

"When you see the video alone, it does not seem like a justifiable shooting," Herbert said. "But there are certain things I know that quite frankly nobody else knows."

Meanwhile, Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez is facing mounting pressure to resign from her elected seat in the aftermath of the video's release. Alvarez has faced criticism that it took her office 13 months to file the murder charges against Van ? .

After announcing the charges against Van ? last week, Alvarez said her office was "meticulous" in putting together the case and was hoping to announce the charges jointly with federal prosecutors who were conducting a parallel investigation. She said she decided to move forward with the charge last week out of concern for public safety after a Cook County Circuit Court judge ordered the city to release the video after being sued by a journalist for violating open record laws.

Cook County Commissioner Jesus "Chuy" Garcia said Monday that he and a group of Latino leaders would call on Alvarez to step down. Garcia posed a strong challenge to Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel's re-election effort earlier this year, forcing the incumbent into the first mayoral runoff in city history. Rep. Bobby Rush, D-Ill., has also called for Alvarez, who faces a March 15 primary, to step down.

Kim Foxx, a former prosecutor and current chief of staff to the Cook County Board president, announced she will challenge Alvarez in the primary.
    Donna More, a former federal and state prosecutor, says she plans on filing for candidacy Monday afternoon.

"It is time to get tough on crime no matter who commits it," More said.

The U.S. Attorney's Office for Northern Illinois says it continues to investigate the case.

That pig doesn't deserve any bail.. Smh...
  • stringer bell
    Options
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/11/30/bond-for-chicago-police-officer-who-fatally-shot-laquan-mcdonald-set-at-1-5-million/
    Bond for Chicago police officer who fatally shot Laquan McDonald set at $1.5 million

CHICAGO — The bond for Jason Van ? , the Chicago police officer charged with murder for shooting a 17-year-old last year, was set at $1.5 million, a judge said Monday.

Van ? , 37, has been held without bail since he was charged last week with first-degree murder for fatally shooting Laquan McDonald, a Chicago teenager, in October 2014.

The killing drew national attention after footage of the incident, recorded on a dashboard camera, was publicly released last week. In the footage, Van ? is seen firing a barrage of shots at McDonald as the teenager, who authorities say had a knife, appeared to be veering away from officers while on a city street. Many of the shots were fired after McDonald had already fallen.

Judge Donald Panarese Jr. ordered officials to release this video last week, and it was made public by police Tuesday, the same day Van ? was charged. But the judge said he would wait to set the bail until after viewing the video, which was released several hours after the officer was charged.

Since then, protesters have marched through downtown streets alleging that the city’s top officials colluded over 13 months to prevent the video’s release for political reasons.

On Monday, Van ? attorney Daniel Herbert told WGN that his client will “definitely plead ‘not guilty’ ” if the case goes to trial. He said that, despite the protests, there are no plans to ask for the trial to be moved outside Cook County.

Herbert suggested that there are nuances that the video does not reflect that show that Van ? felt threatened.

“There is a lot of stuff that the video doesn’t show: distances, glances and movements, as slight as they may be,” Herbert said.

Van ? appeared in court Monday wearing handcuffs, leg irons and a gray prison uniform. He has been behind bars since turning himself in last Tuesday. The Cook County State’s Attorney office asked that he be held without bail, saying they believe he is a flight risk. Portions of the video showing the fatal shooting were played in court.

Meanwhile, a coalition of Latino political leaders in Chicago have called for the resignation of Anita Alvarez, the two-term Cook County state’s attorney. Alvarez has become the center of a political firestorm in Chicago for her 13-month delay in bringing first-degree murder charges against Van ? .

On Monday, Cook County Commissioner Jesus “Chuy” Garcia joined a group of five City Council members in saying that Alverez purposely delayed prosecuting Van ? last fall so that Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel would safely get reelected to a second term last spring. Along with Alvarez’s resignation, they want a series of reforms implemented with the Chicago Police Department, including hearings on police orders governing the use of deadly force.

“This is an unconscionable miscarriage of justice that she has orchestrated for her own political gain,” Garcia told The Post. “There’s no excuse for her not having filed charges immediately after she viewed the video.”

Garcia unsuccessfully ran against Emanuel for mayor in a run-off election last April. Garcia said that if the video was released before election day, “it would have had profound consequences” on the outcome.

Chicago Alderman Ricardo Munoz told The Post that a total of seven of the 13 Latino caucus members on the Chicago City Council are behind the effort. Last week, a coalition of black city council members announced that they too wanted reforms in the police department as well as the resignations of Alvarez and Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy. The National Bar Association, a Washington-based organization representing mostly black attorneys and judges, also called for her resignation last week, saying the delay kept Van ? on the street longer than should have been allowed.

Alvarez spokeswoman Sally Daly would not respond to repeated requests for comment for this story. In a broadcast interview with a local television station last week, Alvarez said her critics are “wrong and misinformed” and that all criticism of her actions is “political.” As for the delay, she said it was needed to conduct “a thorough and meticulous evaluation and investigation.”

Munoz said waiting longer than a year is questionable. “Take two, six weeks, or two months. But don’t take a year and a month. It is an obvious cover-up. They never thought a court would order a release of this video,” he said.

The rising chorus of dissent among both black and Hispanic leaders is certain to create a rocky campaign bid for Alvarez, who is up for reelection to a third term in next March’s Democratic primary.

Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle is also protesting the delay. In what many see as the party distancing itself from the incumbent, Preckwinkle handpicked her chief of staff Kim Foxx, a former assistant state’s attorney, to run against Alvarez, who also faces a challenge by Donna More, a former federal and state prosecutor.

More participated in a Black Friday march on Michigan Avenue that drew more than 1,000 people downtown to protest the McDonald shooting. “I’m outraged at what happened. She has put politics over justice,” More said of Alvarez.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He bout to get out... damn
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Options
    He bout to get out... damn

we were at the courthouse today....they also had the homie accused of murking the 9 y old boy in there as well. the FOP will pay that bond
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A 21 year old threatened to ? white male students via social media got arrested quick as ? in Chicago
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    A 21 year old threatened to ? white male students via social media got arrested quick as ? in Chicago

I was just reading about that... they couldn't even find the video because he took it down so fast. someone turned in the screen shot...
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hopefully a law is created from this. All police involved in a shooting have to release the videos within a certain amount of time, couple days I'd say. Failure to produce a video showin' justification for your shootin' automatically warrants a criminal investigation.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Laquan's Law.

Brannigan's Law is like Brannigan's love; hard and fast