Article: The video that will rip Chicago apart — and why you need to see it..

Options

Comments

• The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When is it dropping? Today or tomorrow
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    When is it dropping? Today or tomorrow

Tomorrow is D day for the pigs & Rahm...
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can't lie. I'm getting scared. Not that anyone is actually gonna riot in this weather. Just scared to look. Just makes me so sad.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-cop-shooting-video-laquan-mcdonald-charges-20151123-story.html
    Cop in dash-cam video to face murder charge

A white Chicago police officer shown on video fatally shooting an African-American teen was expected to be charged with first-degree murder Tuesday as City Hall braced for the long-awaited public release of the police camera footage, according to multiple sources.

Officer Jason Van ? is shown on the dash-cam video jumping out of his squad car and within seconds unloading 16 rounds into 17-year-old Laquan McDonald, lawyers for McDonald's family have said. After the first few shots knocked McDonald to the ground, Van ? fired another volley that struck the teen repeatedly as his body lay in almost a fetal position on the ground, according to the lawyers.

Police said McDonald, who had ? in his system when he died, was behaving erratically and refusing police commands to drop a 4-inch folding knife. The police union has maintained the officer fired in fear of his life because the teen lunged at him and his partner with the knife. Van ? 's lawyer also has said the officer feared for his life.

Van ? , 37, who has been on paid desk duty since the October 2014 incident, is scheduled to appear for a bond hearing at noon Tuesday at the Leighton Criminal Court Building at 26th Street and California Avenue, the sources said.

The case would mark the first time a Chicago police officer has been charged with first-degree murder for an on-duty fatality in nearly 35 years. Van ? would face a minimum of 20 years in prison if convicted of the first-degree murder charge.

The charges would come less than a week after a Cook County judge ordered the release of the video, which Mayor Rahm Emanuel's administration had long sought to keep out of public view. As Emanuel urged prosecutors to conclude their investigation Monday, he met with community leaders and aldermen to defend his handling of the controversy amid criticism City Hall has not done enough to address police misconduct.

Ordered to release the video no later than Wednesday, the mayor called on religious leaders and activists to encourage peaceful demonstrations even as staff prepared for the public fallout and discussed the best way to unveil the footage.

Federal authorities continue to investigate whether Van ? violated McDonald's civil rights protecting him from excessive force by the police. A federal grand jury has heard testimony from dozens of witnesses over the course of several months.

The city lost its court fight last week to keep the video under wraps when the judge ruled in favor of freelance journalist Brandon Smith, who sued under the state's open records law.

Lawyers for McDonald's family, who won a $5 million settlement from the city even before filing a lawsuit, have said Van ? emptied his Smith & Wesson 9 mm semi-automatic handgun. None of the five other officers at the scene fired a shot, according to city officials.

McDonald's autopsy found he was shot once on each side of his chest and suffered single bullet wounds in the scalp and neck, two in his back, seven in his arms, one in his right hand and two in his right leg. According to the report, nine of the 16 entrance wounds had a downward or slightly downward trajectory.

The Tribune in April first revealed that Van ? was the officer who shot and killed McDonald after city officials refused to disclose his identity, citing a provision in the union contract that bars the city from identifying officers unless they are convicted of a crime or the police board rules on their case. Police stripped him of his police powers and put him on paid desk duty pending the outcome of the investigation.

According to police and court records, Van ? joined the department in 2001 and spent more than four years with a specialized unit — since disbanded by police Superintendent Garry McCarthy — that aggressively went into neighborhoods experiencing spikes in violent crimes.

In his private meetings with ministers and aldermen, and a brief interaction with reporters, Emanuel sought to frame the issue as the actions of one bad officer.

"What happened here is wrong. There is no justification and it's profoundly hideous, in my view," Emanuel told ministers in a one-way, six-minute conference call during which the ministers were unable to ask questions. "And it's a shock to your conscience of what happened, and it should not have happened."

Later, Emanuel told reporters he had not seen the video but his assertion was that the officer had violated the public trust.

"One individual needs to be held accountable. They need to be held accountable for what they've done," Emanuel said. "And as I've said before, now that the judge has made the decision, I would like to see the prosecutors wrap up their investigation and make a decision, so we can go as a city and begin the process of healing."

Details of the video did not begin to surface until April, when the city made the unusual decision to approve the settlement for McDonald's family even before a lawsuit had been filed.

For 13 months, Emanuel and the city's attorneys had opposed the release of the video amid ongoing criminal investigations into Van ? . After a Cook County judge found the city in violation of the state's open records law last week and ordered that the video be released, the city pulled an about-face, dropping its court fight and saying it would comply with the order to release the potentially inflammatory video by Wednesday.

Neither Emanuel nor his office have said exactly when the video might be released, and the mayor did not give any indication during his private call with community leaders. But he defended the decision to withhold it.

"My view is, which is common practice, you don't release any material while an investigation is going on because you don't want to do anything to hinder that investigation," the mayor said. "But we always had the intention that when that investigation was wrapped up, the video was going to be made public."

That decision was roundly criticized by activists, including some Emanuel spoke with Monday.

The Rev. Jesse Jackson noted that video of police shootings had been released in cases nationwide before charges had been filed.

"He was shot 16 times 13 months ago and the tape was delayed and the officer was not arrested, not fired, not charged. … The decision was made that this video was too provocative and they should lock it into a legal process," Jackson said. "This is a public camera. It belongs to us."

Ministers and activists who met with Emanuel — and some who said they declined to meet with him — sounded a common theme that the mayor is unwilling to discuss their frustrations and ideas for change until a crisis forces his hand. They also criticized what they described as a last-minute request that they help ensure protests remain peaceful.

• D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can't lie. I'm getting scared. Not that anyone is actually gonna riot in this weather. Just scared to look. Just makes me so sad.

I actually want to see the video and I don't know why. Been had enough proof of their brutality can't put my finger or thoughts on it but I want to see it. If that was my family I would want to see it as well.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    The Rev. Ira Acree, pastor of the Greater St. John Bible Church in Chicago's Austin neighborhood, said Emanuel's City Hall meeting with ministers was "very tense, very contentious." Acree said he was surprised to receive the invitation after he had long tried unsuccessfully to meet with the mayor and his staff about police and community relations.

"Many in my community feel betrayed, many are so very angry and protests are imminent, and from the meeting today it's very clear Mayor Emanuel knows that. He put a lot of pressure on us to use our influence to make sure these protests or demonstrations are peaceful," Acree said. "Of course, we did respond to the mayor that there are so many people so angry and so disappointed in how they've been played by the city, the Police Department and the state's attorney.

"There is a group that is not listening to him and not listening to us either, but nevertheless we are hoping these protests and demonstrations will be peaceful. But we know they are coming, because if there was no protest that would mean we've become immune to this madness."

Jedidiah Brown, founder of the Young Leaders Alliance, said Emanuel's meeting with activists "was the right move, but it was horrible timing."

"We cannot keep waiting until the ? is boiling to want to cut the fire down," said Brown, who ran an unsuccessful bid for 5th Ward alderman in the spring. "The mayor has to understand, you can't keep waiting until it looks forced."

Brown said he and many others in the meeting expressed to the mayor they believed the Police Department needs a culture change and McCarthy should be fired. During budget hearings last month, the City Council's Black Caucus also called for McCarthy's ouster.

Ald. Emma Mitts, 37th, and fellow members of the council's Black Caucus met in the mayor's office for more than an hour late Monday afternoon. Mitts said many aldermen vented their frustrations with Emanuel about the police department's handling of the incident and the fact that the city has been unable to suspend or fire Van ? .

"The mayor gave us the facts of what happened in the case and said, 'Yes, it will look bad.' He admits to that," Mitts said. "I'm really concerned, and all my colleagues are. We know something very terrible happened that should not have happened.

"It's probably the worst that we've ever seen, and we haven't even seen the video yet. Just hearing it is the worst thing I've heard. It's so devastating."

Mitts said she reluctantly plans to watch the video so she can discuss it with her constituents while urging them to participate in peaceful protests. "I'll tell them to watch it. Let it be a lesson," she said. "Get up and do something to get more young African-Americans on the police force."

But in a sign of the tensions underlying the issue, some activists said they turned down the overtures to meet with Emanuel because City Hall has shown little recognition of their broader concerns.

"Everything is being taken from us, nothing is being given to us and everyone is trying to tell us how to act and respond to that," said Timothy Bradford, with Black Youth Project 100. "There's always focus on how black people perform and respond to being abused and exploited and oppressed politically, economically and socially. There's very little focus and investment in addressing the root causes of everything that precedes this."
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/nation/2015/11/23/chicago-police-shooting-teen/76292030/
    Chicago mayor, ministers in tense meeting over shooting

Chicago— Amid concerns about possible unrest, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel held a tense meeting with ministers and others Monday to discuss the upcoming release of a video that shows a white police officer fatally shooting a black teenager.

Emanuel asked for their help in calling for calm, but some community leaders said afterward that city officials waited too long to get them involved — more than a year after 17-year-old Laquan McDonald was shot 16 times.

“You had this tape for a year and you are only talking to us now because you need our help keeping things calm,” one of the ministers, Cory Brooks, said after the meeting.

A judge last week ordered the Police Department to release the squad car dashcam footage by Wednesday after the city refused to do so for several months, saying the investigations into the shooting weren’t complete. The FBI and the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office are investigating the incident and were expected to make a decision on whether to charge Officer Jason Van ? as early as this week.

Ira Acree, who described the meeting with Emanuel as “very tense, very contentious,” said the mayor expressed concerns about the prospect of any demonstrations getting out of control. The minister said Emanuel referred to unrest that broke out in other cities after police killed young African-American men.

“He did say in the meeting that he will not sit on the sidelines and let Chicago become a Ferguson or a Baltimore,” Acree said.

Another minister who attended, Jedidiah Brown, said emotions were running so high that there would be no stopping major protests once the video is released.

Earlier Monday, Emanuel’s office characterized the discussion as something “we regularly do on important topics.” But Acree and another minister, Marshall Hatch, said it is a rare occurrence and shows the mayor is concerned there might be violence.

“We have been trying to meet with the mayor since the beginning of the year to talk about community relations and his staff asks for a letter and says ‘We’ll get back to you,’ but they never do,” Acree said before going to City Hall for the discussion.

Hatch added: “This has the feeling of them scrambling.”

The shooting occurred on Oct. 20, 2014, as police responded to a 911 call of a man carrying a knife. Lawyers for McDonald’s family who have seen the video say it shows the teen with a small knife and walking away from officers. They say Van ? opens fire from about 15 feet and keeps shooting after the teen falls.

Acree and Hatch said blacks in the city are upset about the shooting and because city officials and the Police Department refused for several months to release the video until ordered to do so by a judge. They said people also are angry because the officer, though stripped of his police powers, has been assigned to desk duty and not fired.

“They had the opportunity to be a good example and a model across the country on how to improve police and community relations and they missed it,” Acree said.

The Police Department said placing an officer on desk duty after a shooting is standard procedure and that it is prohibited from doing anything more during the investigations.
  • D. Morgan
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The Rev. Ira Acree, pastor of the Greater St. John Bible Church in Chicago's Austin neighborhood, said Emanuel's City Hall meeting with ministers was "very tense, very contentious." Acree said he was surprised to receive the invitation after he had long tried unsuccessfully to meet with the mayor and his staff about police and community relations.

"Many in my community feel betrayed, many are so very angry and protests are imminent, and from the meeting today it's very clear Mayor Emanuel knows that. He put a lot of pressure on us to use our influence to make sure these protests or demonstrations are peaceful," Acree said. "Of course, we did respond to the mayor that there are so many people so angry and so disappointed in how they've been played by the city, the Police Department and the state's attorney.

"There is a group that is not listening to him and not listening to us either, but nevertheless we are hoping these protests and demonstrations will be peaceful. But we know they are coming, because if there was no protest that would mean we've become immune to this madness."

Jedidiah Brown, founder of the Young Leaders Alliance, said Emanuel's meeting with activists "was the right move, but it was horrible timing."

"We cannot keep waiting until the ? is boiling to want to cut the fire down," said Brown, who ran an unsuccessful bid for 5th Ward alderman in the spring. "The mayor has to understand, you can't keep waiting until it looks forced."

Brown said he and many others in the meeting expressed to the mayor they believed the Police Department needs a culture change and McCarthy should be fired. During budget hearings last month, the City Council's Black Caucus also called for McCarthy's ouster.

Ald. Emma Mitts, 37th, and fellow members of the council's Black Caucus met in the mayor's office for more than an hour late Monday afternoon. Mitts said many aldermen vented their frustrations with Emanuel about the police department's handling of the incident and the fact that the city has been unable to suspend or fire Van ? .

"The mayor gave us the facts of what happened in the case and said, 'Yes, it will look bad.' He admits to that," Mitts said. "I'm really concerned, and all my colleagues are. We know something very terrible happened that should not have happened.

"It's probably the worst that we've ever seen, and we haven't even seen the video yet. Just hearing it is the worst thing I've heard. It's so devastating."

Mitts said she reluctantly plans to watch the video so she can discuss it with her constituents while urging them to participate in peaceful protests. "I'll tell them to watch it. Let it be a lesson," she said. "Get up and do something to get more young African-Americans on the police force."

But in a sign of the tensions underlying the issue, some activists said they turned down the overtures to meet with Emanuel because City Hall has shown little recognition of their broader concerns.

"Everything is being taken from us, nothing is being given to us and everyone is trying to tell us how to act and respond to that," said Timothy Bradford, with Black Youth Project 100. "There's always focus on how black people perform and respond to being abused and exploited and oppressed politically, economically and socially. There's very little focus and investment in addressing the root causes of everything that precedes this."

we are hoping these protests and demonstrations will be peaceful

her constituents while urging them to participate in peaceful protests

When are the pastors and political folks going to let this turn the other cheek ? go? I'm not saying folks should just do anything with no plans of action. But if people want to let loose and rage against the machine if you not with it just get the ? out the way and do your part in your lane without speaking against those reacting how they see fit.
  • stringer bell
    edited November 2015
    Options
    http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/11/24/officer-expected-to-turn-himself-in-for-fatal-shooting-of-laquan-mcdonald/
    Officer Expected To Face Murder Charge In Shooting Of Laquan McDonald

CHICAGO (CBS) — A Chicago police officer was expected to face a first-degree murder charge Tuesday in the shooting death of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald.

Officer Jason Van ? arrived at the Leighton Criminal Court Building around 7:30 a.m. He and his attorney declined comment as they arrived at the courthouse, where Van ? likely will appear in bond court Tuesday afternoon, once formal charges have been filed by Cook County prosecutors.

He better be denied bond like that other killer pig in South Carolina...
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hopefully the tape isn't doctored in any way shape of form....im ready for the vid tho....bout to watch the " ? who sat by the door"
  • D. Morgan
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hopefully the tape isn't doctored in any way shape of form....im ready for the vid tho....bout to watch the " ? who sat by the door"

The book is sooooo much better. Have to get another copy.

Funny because this thread is about Chicago the setting in the book was in Chicago. But when they were trying to make the film the city of Chicago would not give them the filming permits so they had to shoot the movie in Gary, Indiana.
  • stringer bell
    edited November 2015
    Options
    osdbwm.jpg

1097618_630x354.jpg

Here's a picture of that murderous pig who killed Laquan.. He's got that "Hating black people isn't just job it's my hobby too" look to him...
  • PapaDoc223
    PapaDoc223 Members Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    LOL at thinking pastors can calm a potential situation in Chicago...those lil ? don't give a ? about no pastors

Pac said it best.
    To the preacher in the pulpit peep it
    If you’re gonna preach about "turn the other cheek" you can keep it
    In ’92 ? don’t need it
    They beating brothers in the streets and you’re talkin’ bout peace
    Now ain’t that some fly ?
    Just sit, be quiet, wait to die quick
    Listen to y’all, we lost Malcolm and Hampton
    Instead of an army we was marching and chanting;
    “We shall overcome”
    Though we can’t do ? with a rock and a stick
    ? better learn to shoot a ? gun
  • stringer bell
    Options

That fraud Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez is going speaking @ 2 pm e/t...
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

I actually want to see the video and I don't know why. Been had enough proof of their brutality can't put my finger or thoughts on it but I want to see it. If that was my family I would want to see it as well.

Yea when you're a family member, it's almost like you owe it to the deceased to watch. Because if they had to live it and endure it, you're almost obligated to feel what they were feeling, to hurt as they did, and to experience it.

I think I'm just gonna wait until after thanksgiving. It's weighing on me emotionally.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    Black Caucus chairman: What took Alvarez so long to file charges?

WRITTEN BY FRAN SPIELMAN POSTED: 11/24/2015, 11:43AM

The chairman of the City Council’s Black Caucus on Tuesday questioned why it took Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez 13 months to charge a white Chicago Police officer with first-degree murder in the shooting of an African-American teenager amid concern the court-ordered release of a dashboard camera video of the shooting may be further delayed.

Ald. Roderick Sawyer (6th) said “somebody dropped the ball” in the shooting of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald and all signs point to Alvarez, who is fighting for her political life in a contested Democratic primary against two challengers, one of whom is African-American.

“It’s politically motivated that you decide to do it at this time when you have generously had 10 months — I won’t even go back to the full 13 months — to make a determination to file charges and didn’t. Oftentimes, it takes days to make these types of determinations” when there’s an incriminating video of Van ? firing 16 shots into McDonald’s body, Sawyer said.

“The burden lies with the state’s attorney’s office on why this was held as long as it has. Maybe the dual state and federal investigation delayed it. But there is no legitimate reason why it was stalled.”

The Black Caucus has called a news conference for 10 a.m. Wednesday to “call for accountability in government and peace in the streets” after the video is released.

Asked if the Caucus would renew its call for Chicago Supt. Garry McCarthy’s ouster, Sawyer said, “I’m not going to say `yes’ or `no.’ I will defer [to his colleagues]. Everything is fluid now.”

Sally Daly, a spokeswoman for the state’s attorney’s office, said police-involved shootings trigger “long, meticulous and thorough” investigations that typically take between 10 and 20 months to complete.

“We’ve had an ongoing investigation with the FBI and the U.S. Attorney’s office since very shortly after the shooting occurred. We’ve been working diligently with our federal partners on the complex investigation. It was our intention to announce the decision to bring the charges with the U.S. Attorney’s office. But, that was not possible. Their investigation is still going on,” Daly said.

“The court’s decision to release this video has changed the timing of this announcement but it did not dictate the decision to bring charges. With the video going public, the state’s attorney felt it was in the interest of public safety to make this announcement.”

Sawyer said since Alvarez had waited this long to charge Van ? , she should have waited until after the city released the video of the October 2014 shooting.

“Once the officer is indicted, he’s going to move to have that tape held because it’s a key piece of evidence and a trial judge may agree with that,” the alderman said.

Even though a judge has given the city until the close of business Wednesday to release the tape, Sawyer said, “I have a big concern about that tape not being released today or tomorrow. A defense lawyer may hold that up, and they may be successful. That would do a disservice in terms of people wanting to know the truth and what went on.”

In a rare show of defiance last month, 14 of Chicago’s 18 black aldermen, including Sawyer, demanded that Emanuel fire McCarthy after another ? weekend on Chicago streets.
    They were motivated, in part, by McCarthy’s decision to replace retiring First Deputy Police Supt. Al Wysinger with John Escalante, who is Hispanic.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel responded by reiterating his longstanding support for McCarthy, who is surpassed in longevity, only by former Police Supt. Terry Hillard.

Hours after a judge ordered the tape released, Saywer turned up the heat on McCarthy by demanding to know why Van ? was still on the city payroll, even though he was stripped of his police powers and assigned to desk duty shortly after the shooting.

But Sawyer shifted his focus from McCarthy to Alvarez after Emanuel explained during a closed-door meeting with the Black Caucus that the police contract precluded the city from firing Van ? .

The Independent Police Review Authority refers all police-involved shootings to the state’s attorney’s office and never makes its disciplinary recommendation to the superintendent until after the state’s attorney’s office either issues an indictment or decides not file charges. Only then would the superintendent make his recommendation to the Police Board.

“We talked about the process in a police-involved shooting. It’s more complicated than just saying, `You’re fired,’” Sawyer said.

“Long term, we have to look at why we keep murderers on the police force and on the payroll. Maybe it requires changing the police contract. I know that’s long term, but we need to look at it.”

When and if the video is released, Sawyer said he’s concerned about a lot more than violent demonstrations on the streets of Chicago similar to those that followed the death of black men and teens at the hands of police in Ferguson, Missouri, Baltimore and New York City.

“We have to try to repair the relationship between the community and the police. And based on these incidents, there’s going to be increased distrust. This is going to widen that gap. They’re going to look at the police with a jaundiced eye,” Sawyer said.

“It might even be a hindrance to recruiting. It’s going to be hard to convince African-Americans to join a police force if they think they’re joining a force that’s compromised or, even worse, corrupt.”

Emanuel has held a series of closed-door meetings with black ministers, business owners and members of the Black Caucus. His message to all of them and to the media was the same: Feel free to exercise your First Amendment rights, but do it in a peaceful way, not a destructive one.

Sawyer said he hopes and prays the inevitable protests are peaceful and constructive.

“Of course there are going to be protests. If that tape gets released and it shows what we think it will show, it will show a police officer executing a child. That’s outrage. That will make people mad and it should. It should be a call to action,” the alderman said.

“Sometimes tragedies like this pull a community together. Maybe that’s what will happen. Get people engaged speaking out, getting more involved, voting. All of these things we don’t see enough of. There’s been a lot of disengagement in our community. Maybe people feel numb to what’s gone on. Maybe this will spark that outrage again. I hope there is no trouble. Trouble is mostly caused by outside agitators. People who live here don’t want to destroy our city.”

• D. Morgan
    Options

Yea when you're a family member, it's almost like you owe it to the deceased to watch. Because if they had to live it and endure it, you're almost obligated to feel what they were feeling, to hurt as they did, and to experience it.

I think I'm just gonna wait until after thanksgiving. It's weighing on me emotionally.

No disrespect but you know men and women deal with emotions differently. As a family member I would want to see it to see what really happened(the truth) and how my reaction should be to that truth.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    They deleted 86 minutes worth of footage from a BK and dunkin donuts
  • stringer bell
    Options

When are the pastors and political folks going to let this turn the other cheek ? go? I'm not saying folks should just do anything with no plans of action. But if people want to let loose and rage against the machine if you not with it just get the ? out the way and do your part in your lane without speaking against those reacting how they see fit.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Community-Leaders-Hold-Press-Conference-Ahead-of-Release-of-Laquan-McDonald-Video-353170771.html
    Community Leaders Call for Peace Ahead of Release of Laquan McDonald Video

City leaders addressed the city of Chicago Tuesday, asking for residents to resist forms of unrest ahead of the potential release of a dashcam video showing the shooting death of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald at the hands of a Chicago police officer.

"We have heard the blood of the innocent cry from the ground," ministers from across the city said in prayers they used to open the press conference.

The group of ministers pressed the city of Chicago to "talk it out but not be violent when they do so" if dashcam video showing the 2014 death of the teen being killed by police is released this week.

A day prior, city leaders had an emergency meeting with Mayor Rahm Emanuel to come up with a plan that they hope will help the city avoid Ferguson-like protests.

We want you to be angry because, rightfully so," one said. "You have the right to be angry … but I want to come out with on a positive end."

City Corporation Counsel Stephen Patton has told aldermen the video shows a white officer shooting Laquan McDonald, a black teen, 16 times as he walked along a street last October.

Last week, a judge ordered the video to go public by this Wednesday against the city's wishes, and a source has told NBC Chicago the officer involved in the shooting is expected to be indicted Tuesday.

City leaders have called on the mayor to keep the peace for fear that the video's release could spark dangerous riots. Tensions are high as dozens of black leaders warn that Chicago could be on the brink of erupting when police publicly release the "disturbing" footage.

"I'm cautioning people not to set the city on fire," said Cook County Commissioner Richard Boykin. "This is not an opportunity for people to take advantage of a situation -- this does harm to the memory of Laquan McDonald. If we decide to do that I'm urging people to do peaceful protest."

The video has been described as so graphic, even McDonald’s mother is afraid of the potential for an impending uproar. Attorney Mike Robbins, who represents the McDonald family, said Thursday McDonald's mother "is not looking forward to the day this is released

D. Morgan my ? sadly it will never change.. This negropeans have be so indoctrinated to think when something happens to us to go the kumbaya route.. No other people on planet turn the other cheek when they're constantly being beaten,profiled or killed.. They stand up for themselves a rebel against their oppressors.. But blacks condition to think that's not right.. And should go to church pray or peaceful protest.. Because that's Dr. MLK and those other civil rights leaders did they peaceful protested while getting stomped out by the pigs.. So the deacons,pastors and minsters think that's how we should continue to act.. We black folks always have to high road to have that precious moral high ground.. Which means so much to whitey.. Since black folks have it so good in this country thanks to whitey.. Are rights always well protected & respected.. And never ever violated on regular based thanks to us having "moral high ground".. Smh...
  • D. Morgan
    Options

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Community-Leaders-Hold-Press-Conference-Ahead-of-Release-of-Laquan-McDonald-Video-353170771.html
    Community Leaders Call for Peace Ahead of Release of Laquan McDonald Video

City leaders addressed the city of Chicago Tuesday, asking for residents to resist forms of unrest ahead of the potential release of a dashcam video showing the shooting death of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald at the hands of a Chicago police officer.

"We have heard the blood of the innocent cry from the ground," ministers from across the city said in prayers they used to open the press conference.

The group of ministers pressed the city of Chicago to "talk it out but not be violent when they do so" if dashcam video showing the 2014 death of the teen being killed by police is released this week.

A day prior, city leaders had an emergency meeting with Mayor Rahm Emanuel to come up with a plan that they hope will help the city avoid Ferguson-like protests.

We want you to be angry because, rightfully so," one said. "You have the right to be angry … but I want to come out with on a positive end."

City Corporation Counsel Stephen Patton has told aldermen the video shows a white officer shooting Laquan McDonald, a black teen, 16 times as he walked along a street last October.

Last week, a judge ordered the video to go public by this Wednesday against the city's wishes, and a source has told NBC Chicago the officer involved in the shooting is expected to be indicted Tuesday.

City leaders have called on the mayor to keep the peace for fear that the video's release could spark dangerous riots. Tensions are high as dozens of black leaders warn that Chicago could be on the brink of erupting when police publicly release the "disturbing" footage.

"I'm cautioning people not to set the city on fire," said Cook County Commissioner Richard Boykin. "This is not an opportunity for people to take advantage of a situation -- this does harm to the memory of Laquan McDonald. If we decide to do that I'm urging people to do peaceful protest."

The video has been described as so graphic, even McDonald’s mother is afraid of the potential for an impending uproar. Attorney Mike Robbins, who represents the McDonald family, said Thursday McDonald's mother "is not looking forward to the day this is released

D. Morgan my ? sadly it will never change.. This negropeans have be so indoctrinated to think when something happens to us to go the kumbaya route.. No other people on planet turn the other cheek when they're constantly being beaten,profiled or killed.. They stand up for themselves a rebel against their oppressors.. But blacks condition to think that's not right.. And should go to church pray or peaceful protest.. Because that's Dr. MLK and those other civil rights leaders did they peaceful protested while getting stomped out by the pigs.. So the deacons,pastors and minsters think that's how we should continue to act.. We black folks always have to high road to have that precious moral high ground.. Which means so much to whitey.. Since black folks have it so good in this country thanks to whitey.. Are rights always well protected & respected.. And never ever violated on regular based thanks to us having "moral high ground".. Smh...

? is sickening and these people have the nerve to wonder why so many youth don't want to listen to them. Who in the hell wants to constantly get killed, beat, etc then be passive about it. While all at the same time these people denying that they are even doing us that way. ? makes no sense. How can you talk to a person about doing you wrong when said person won't even acknowledge that they are doing you wrong?

Call on the mayor for what? If he couldn't even slow down all the gang murder WTF is going to do now?

• D. Morgan
    Options
    This the ? these pastors and those who with them on
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kf7fujM4ag
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    osdbwm.jpg

1097618_630x354.jpg

Here's a picture of that murderous pig who killed Laquan.. He's got that "Hating black people isn't just job it's my hobby too" look to him...
    Look at this ? of the earth.

Wheres the white supremacy now? You're all alone in this mugshot.. none of the ppl who taught u to hate, empower u, cover for u and defend u will be on trial with u. ? ?
  • stringer bell
    Options

That fraud Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez is going speaking @ 2 pm e/t...

Live streams of the press conference...

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/show/live-video/

http://abc7chicago.com/live/23381/