Comments

• DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Steph Curry
    DR. JEK wrote: »
    Curry give CP3 the blues

And Westbrook even tho hes dominate at times play outta control sometimes and dont know when to let Durant cook.

That ? ass cross over? Dude tripped over shoe B.. how many all first team do Westbrook and curry have????

Not just a crossover, im talking about hin dropping 35 to almost 40 when Curry plays against that All first team guy you refering to.

And what does the all first team defense mean in the large scheme of things? Actually i remember Chauncy Billups busting his ass in the playoffs and Deron Williams use to take his lunch too.
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Steph Curry
    This thread remind me of when I was in straight denial that LeBron>>>>Kobe.

I've learned my lesson and now I'm just gonna kick back and appreciate greatness. Even if he ain't a Laker

The Bolded can only be taken seriously after 2010
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Curry give CP3 the blues

And Westbrook even tho hes dominate at times play outta control sometimes and dont know when to let Durant cook.

That ? ass cross over? Dude tripped over shoe B.. how many all first team do Westbrook and curry have????

Not just a crossover, im talking about hin dropping 35 to almost 40 when Curry plays against that All first team guy you refering to.

And what does the all first team defense mean in the large scheme of things? Actually i remember Chauncy Billups busting his ass in the playoffs and Deron Williams use to take his lunch too.

They don't hear you tho...

But CP's perceived defensive prowess is suuuuuuch an advantage ...

Yet no one can tell how this "advantage" has manifested itself on the court...

Opponents PPG? ...
    Nah

Shutdown defensive performances in the clutch? ...
    Sorry

Leading your team to the Conference Finals/ Finals?... Nope

Yet Steph's attributes and favorable statistics are somehow "overstated" or less important

They just lead to winning games ...

Instead of supporting old stereotypes of what a Point Gaurd is supposed to be...
  • Peace_79
    edited December 2015
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    CP3 is the best PG in the league and it's been that way for quite some time. Steph is just the best player playing point guard.

I'll never understand this.

How can he be the best player and not the best player at his position?

This makes no sense to me...

• So Jordan wasn't the best SG because he did work in the paint and couldn't shoot like Reggie or Ray Allen?
    • Dream wasnt the best 4 Man because he played on the perimeter and didn't bang as much as The Admiral or Patrick Ewing?

This kid is changing the game ... and y'all fighting it cuz he doesent remind you of the traditional PG

SMH...

• Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Peace_79 wrote: »
    CP3 is the best PG in the league and it's been that way for quite some time. Steph is just the best player playing point guard.

• So Jordan wasn't the best SG because he did work in the paint and couldn't shoot like Reggie or Ray Allen?
    • Dream wasnt the best 4 Man because he played on the perimeter and didn't bang as much as The Admiral or Patrick Ewing?

This kid is changing the game ... and y'all fighting it cuz he doesent remind you of the traditional PG

SMH...

Because Dream was a 5 :-)

No one said his style of play wasn't outstanding, he's doing incredible things, but I gurantee you this, he'll learn more about the pg position from Paul than Paul would ever learn from Steph.

Steph is a bona fide shooter better than Paul will ever hope to be which makes him dangerous, but Steph ain't setting the game up like Paul.
  • Focal Point
    Options
    Curry give CP3 the blues

He's got a semi-auto for a jumper, when a ? can shoot like that all you can do is hope to contain him as a result you gotta play up on the shot which will leave any defender exposed to someone with handle a la Kyrie
  • Peace_79
    Options
    So Dream fit the mold of a traditional Center or Power Forward?

He did typical things Bigs did at that time period?

• mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris Paul

SMH...

That' because you're stupid.

Not that hard of a concept to grasp.

Sit this one out.
  • Peace_79
    Options
    This ? gonna resort to name calling... Original.

I grasp the concept just fine ... It just doesent make any sense.

You can't be the best player in the NBA ... And not the best Point Gaurd in the NBA.

• mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris Paul

You can't be the best player in the NBA ... And not the best Point Gaurd in the NBA.

Yeah you can. Because the positions in basketball were created for a specific reason and have specific roles. If you play that position and are the best player in the league...but there are still other players who are better at the specific things that the position calls for...then you aren't the best at that position, my ? .

The only thing that makes Steph a PG on this squad is that he brings the ball up the court. That's it. He doesn't lead the team in assists. The offense doesn't run through him. None of that.

Let's go back to when Shaq was the best player in the league. Let's say he brought the ball up the court, passed the ball to Derek Fisher or Rick Fox or whoever to get the offense started, and then dropped down to the low post and played his normal game. If the team listed him as a PG, would we feel like he was the best PG on the League? Of course not, because he doesn't really do the things point guards do. Same with Steph. Not that he CAN'T, but on this team, he's not asked to do that ? . That's how he can be the best player but not the best PG.
  • Focal Point
    edited December 2015
    Options

Anchored the defense- yes
    Rebounds- yes
    Score in the post- yes
    Good 5 to 12 ft jumper- yes
    Help side defense- yes
    Passed out the block- yes
    Blocked shots- yes
    Hit free-throws- yes
    Post moves- yes
    Footwork- yes

I'd say he fit the mold very well

He wasn't out there trying to shoot 3's or initiate the offense or bring the ball up the floor like a point guard... When he was in the paint and the post he understood the movement of the other teams offense as far as where players were going and made sure to call it out. On the other end when Kenny was working the ball at the top he followed instructions about where he needed to be at in the offensive set.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Steph Curry
    Curry give CP3 the blues

Opponents PPG? ...
    Nah

Sorry

Yet Steph's attributes and favorable statistics are somehow "overstated" or less important

Instead of supporting old stereotypes of what a Point Gaurd is supposed to be...

Imo None of you is wrong.

Paul embodies the theory whereas Curry is the necessary reality that led gsw to a title and that current 27 -1 record.

Paul play the position as described in books. Curry is bringing ANOTHER APROACH of playing the position. Maybe his playstyle will someday be a Standard. Like the fadeaway Jumper which is not considered ad a bold, cocky move since years now.

• Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Curry give CP3 the blues

Opponents PPG? ...
    Nah

Sorry

Can you give some examples of pg's who shut down other pg's in the playoffs in the last 5-6 years? You seem to not understand how the nba is played now.Pg's use high screen n rolls 90% of the time it's impossible to shut down a pg these days you can't even touch the dudes

Best teams Always win that has nothing to do with who is the better POINT GUARD.

You notice how the bucks played the warriors twice and curry couldn't hide on defense and mcw was looking like prime penny in the post killing him? There's a reason why klay thompson guards chris paul and russ when they play curry can't guard them.
  • Peace_79
    Options

Rebounds- yes
    Score in the post- yes
    Help side defense- yes
    Blocked shots- yes
    Hit free-throws- yes
    Post moves- yes
    Footwork- yes

Of course he could do everything a traditional Big could do...

The question was did he fit the mold of a traditional Big Man during that time period...

He played D on Guards and Wing Players
    -Not Traditional

He banged in the post but he also brought finesse post moves that had never been seen before
    -Not Traditional

He was a very consistent Jump Shooter
    -Not Traditional

Dream didn't do a lot of the things typical Big Men did ... I didn't hear people calling him a Guard or a 3 ...

Or saying "He wasn't the best big man"

Nah.. They just enjoyed greatness, regardless of what Position they put next to his name in the Box Score
  • Peace_79
    edited December 2015
    Options

Yeah you can. Because the positions in basketball were created for a specific reason and have specific roles. If you play that position and are the best player in the league...but there are still other players who are better at the specific things that the position calls for...then you aren't the best at that position, my ? .

Lol my ? ...

1) You just compared Steph Curry to Shaq in the context of Point Guards ... Hilarious

2) You just agreed that Curry can do what Paul does ... He just doesent on this team ...

So because he chooses to forgoe more assists for winning, he magically is no longer a Point Gaurd

Listen to yourself say that sentence out loud

Y'all are imprisoned by this idea that the Point Gaurd has to "run the offense" as it is traditionally run, that he has to assist on an outlandish number of his teammate's field goals, that he must call every play, and visibly bark out orders; jump up and down when ? don't go his way ....

giphy.gif

It's 2015, champ.

What if players *gasp* know the offense ...
    What if they can create their own shot at times

What if their PG let's them do all the above for the betterment of the team...

And takes over (whether it be it assisting or scoring) ...When it is necessary ...

Y'all ? me with this "Steph can't run the offense like Paul can"

LMAO... ? are you talking about?

Y'all seen their record? y'all seen their PPG? y'all seen their efficiency? ... GTFOH

"Nah, b. That's not a Point Guard ... "

Cmon, man...

What that position calls for is changing ...

• Focal Point
    Options

Rebounds- yes
    Score in the post- yes
    Help side defense- yes
    Blocked shots- yes
    Hit free-throws- yes
    Post moves- yes
    Footwork- yes

The question was did he fit the mold of a traditional Big Man during that time period...

-Not Traditional

He banged in the post but he also brought finesse post moves that had never been seen before
    -Not Traditional

-Not Traditional

Dream didn't do a lot of the things typical Big Men did ... I didn't hear people calling him a Guard or a 3 ...

Nah.. They just enjoyed greatness, regardless of what Position they put next to his name in the Box Score

So I'm guessing you never watched Jabar, Ewing, Kemp, Barkley, The Admiral, Grand-mama, Moses Malone, or Karl Malone
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Steph Curry
    Did Hakemm Olajuwon just become a PF in this thread ...
  • S2J
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Steph Curry
    Gentlemen, some of yall sound ridiculous.

Steph Curry is a Point Guard. He is the best player in the league (or 2nd), therefore hebis the best PG in the league.

Just as Draymond Green shooting 3s and racking up assists doesn't make him a SG, Steph merely scoring buckets doesn't make him a SG. He is a PG

The misnomer is that a "true PG" is somehow more admirable. Cp3 is a "true PG", yeaaa

Well, show me what that true PG has done in his career playoff wise

Curry got a ring. Russ been to the Finals. Idgaf about a true pg you play to win the game

• DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Steph Curry
    positions was created for the casual fan.
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Steph Curry

I can dig that.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DaBull wrote: »

Repeating ? you heard
  • S2J
    Options
    Steph Curry
    DaBull wrote: »

"Positions were created so a novice can follow the game! "

jalen-rose-espn.jpg
  • S2J
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Steph Curry
    And to Peace's point, a great example of the 'traditional PG' being a misnomer

This mfer Steve Nash shot damn 88% from the field, 90% from 3 and 98% from FT Lol Yet he'd pass up a ton of shots. How you avg 15ppg shootin 60%. Shoot the damn ball more!

Steve Nash with a lil more Steph Curry to his game MIGHT have won him a ring
  • Peace_79
    edited December 2015
    Options

Rebounds- yes
    Score in the post- yes
    Help side defense- yes
    Blocked shots- yes
    Hit free-throws- yes
    Post moves- yes
    Footwork- yes

-Not Traditional

-Not Traditional

-Not Traditional

So I'm guessing you never watched Jabar, Ewing, Kemp, Barkley, The Admiral, Grand-mama, Moses Malone, or Karl Malone

Notice you had to pick HOFamers to even make the argument. By definition these players are rare...and many impacted the game in their own way...

All the players on your list were good to great scorers ... But their game's were largely based on Power

Cmon man - you reaching now

Are you really comparing Hakeem In the post to Shawn Kemp (Yes... Shawn Kemp!!!) , Barkley, Ewing etc ...?

You are going to sit here and deny that Hakeem changed the game just to throw shade on Curry?
  • Peace_79
    edited December 2015
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    And to Peace's point, a great example of the 'traditional PG' being a misnomer

This mfer Steve Nash shot damn 88% from the field, 90% from 3 and 98% from FT Lol Yet he'd pass up a ton of shots. How you avg 15ppg shootin 60%. Shoot the damn ball more!

Steve Nash with a lil more Steph Curry to his game MIGHT have won him a ring

Nah man...
    Then he would no longer be a "True Point Gaurd"

Damn winning a ring