Young Celie, Desreta Jackson Says Colorism Made Her Leave Hollywood After ‘The Color Purple’

Options
2»

Comments

• psychobutcher
    psychobutcher Members Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't be silly. She's not attractive. The same reason why even though Octavia Spencer can act her ass off, she'll never be the romantic lead. Universally attractive features was me putting my foot in my mouth, but there's a generic look for most actors and actresses. Women that look like her are the main supporters of wack ass Tyler Perry, yet (s)he never places them as leads or objects of desire.
  • psychobutcher
    psychobutcher Members Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who care who People magazine says is the sexiest person. My wife would say Idris Elba every year. But when the majority of the industry is not black, it's way harder for young celie to make it as opposed to Nia Long.
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    Does she have a point?
    They putting out a movie about white Egyptian gods...

Get over it bruh....they apologized

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/28/entertainment/gods-of-egypt-cast-apology-feat/

Now you can go see it w/o the guilt

But they still continued with filming
  • ZuluQueen
    ZuluQueen Members Posts: 190
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Universally attractive features are features that the mainstream have considered attractive, which are generally features that have been altered by non-black genetics (Beyonce, Rihanna, Halle Berry). I had a conversation with some whites once who told me that lighter skin black people are easier to look at than darker skin blacks; I believe this is generally how Hollywood operates. This is why mixed race women in Hollywood have replaced and became the face of Black women due to having features that have been altered by non-black DNA. Think of it in how Hip-Hop video directors use non-black female models who resemble the black womans body; Hollywood does the same thing in reverse.

However, white Hollywood directors are not exclusive in practicing colorism, black Hollywood directors also practice colorism, where as in Hip-Hop the color caste system continues to be reintroduced. Yet, none of this affects me as I don't watch television, I'm more of a bookworm. Not too long ago, Straight Out of Compton was called out for is colorism when casting black women.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options