GnS Politics 2016: Death Penalty

Comments

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pro-Life (Against death penalty)
    The death penalty should be reserved for instances where rehabilitation has proven futile and only such rare cases.
  •  i ro ny
    i ro ny Members Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'm against it. its pointless.

an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's pretty arbitrary for us to feel like it's ok for the government to determine when killing someone is justifiable and carry out the killing, but it's not ok for a regular citizen to do it. There is literally no basis for this at all. Not that I can think of, anyway. But I was wrong once before in like '98, so it could be happening again.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    For Death Penalty (Courts/Jurors Decision)
    Taken from another thread:
    Mister B. wrote: »
    *Bonus* Capital Punishment - Some people just NEED to die for their crimes. ? -a life in prison with no parole. Ted Bundy had to go. The DC sniper, too. Dylan Roof needs to be ? electrocuted with no sponge for that ? in Charleston. I don't think the death penalty should be applied in every homicide case, but there are some cases where that's the only punishment worth the crime. Frankly, I'm surprised that real Christians would be against it. Read the Bible. People got death for things a fuckload lighter than murder back then: Theft, ? , ADULTERY, you name it.

The real problem with capital punishment in America is the incredibly slow legal system. I'd say, from sentence to execution should take no more than a year, tops, and all appeals must be 100% revisited in each detail to ensure no one is wrongfully executed. It doesn't take 30 years to exhaust appeals, it doesn't.
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Folks always against the death penalty until there family gets murdered by some crazy fcker and he gets off on a technicality
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Death Penalty (Victims family's decision)
    im with it depending on the crime of course
  • mryounggun
    For the people who would be cool with the victim's family deciding if the death penalty is warranted or not, what crimes could be eligible?
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zzombie wrote: »
    LPast wrote: »
    @zzombie

I thought thou shall not ? ?

It's thou shall not murder

Thou shalt not ? .
    Ex 20:13

Strongs # 07523 for "? " in that verse.

RATSACH

I.to murder, slay, ?

A.(Qal) to murder, slay

i.premeditated

ii.accidental

iii.as avenger

iv.slayer (intentional) (participle)

B.(Niphal) to be slain

C.(Piel)

i.to murder, assassinate

ii.murderer, assassin (participle)(subst)

D.(Pual) to be killed

Strong’s Definitions [?](Strong’s Definitions Legend)

רָצַח râtsach, raw-tsakh'; a primitive root; properly, to dash in pieces, i.e. ? (a human being), especially to murder:—put to death, ? , (man-) slay(-er), murder(-er).

There is a difference in context you cannot just go by dictionary definitions outside of context. If people followed context they would be a lot less confused

That is the strongs number and definition used for that exact verse tho.....
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    *Bonus* Capital Punishment - Some people just NEED to die for their crimes. ? -a life in prison with no parole. Ted Bundy had to go. The DC sniper, too. Dylan Roof needs to be ? electrocuted with no sponge for that ? in Charleston. I don't think the death penalty should be applied in every homicide case, but there are some cases where that's the only punishment worth the crime. Frankly, I'm surprised that real Christians would be against it. Read the Bible. People got death for things a fuckload worse than murder back then: Theft, ? , ADULTERY, you name it.

The real problem with capital punishment in America is the incredibly slow legal system. I'd say, from sentence to execution should take no more than a year, tops, and all appeals must be 100% revisited in each detail to ensure no one is wrongfully executed. It doesn't take 30 years to exhaust appeals, it doesn't.

Thought the New Testament encourages believers to forgive; leave revenge and vengeance to ? ; do not repay evil with evil????

• zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @zzombie

Thou shalt not ? .

RATSACH

I.to murder, slay, ?

A.(Qal) to murder, slay

i.premeditated

ii.accidental

iii.as avenger

B.(Niphal) to be slain

C.(Piel)

i.to murder, assassinate

D.(Pual) to be killed

רָצַח râtsach, raw-tsakh'; a primitive root; properly, to dash in pieces, i.e. ? (a human being), especially to murder:—put to death, ? , (man-) slay(-er), murder(-er).

There is a difference in context you cannot just go by dictionary definitions outside of context. If people followed context they would be a lot less confused

So the definition given by strongs is in linev with what I said.
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kai wrote: »
    The death penalty is grossly unethical and such a barbarous practice has no place in civilized society. It doesn't work as a deterrent, innocent people have been wrongly put to death. It's state sanctioned murder

Sooo? I really dislike those peaceful non violent muthafckas like u. Sometimes society needs alittle madness and uncivilized activity
  • zzombie
    *Bonus* Capital Punishment - Some people just NEED to die for their crimes. ? -a life in prison with no parole. Ted Bundy had to go. The DC sniper, too. Dylan Roof needs to be ? electrocuted with no sponge for that ? in Charleston. I don't think the death penalty should be applied in every homicide case, but there are some cases where that's the only punishment worth the crime. Frankly, I'm surprised that real Christians would be against it. Read the Bible. People got death for things a fuckload worse than murder back then: Theft, ? , ADULTERY, you name it.

Thought the New Testament encourages believers to forgive; leave revenge and vengeance to ? ; do not repay evil with evil????

It encourages to live by the laws of the nation you reside in as much as possible but also try to live godly. The amount of Jewish traditionalv law that a Christian has to practice has been a matter of contention among Christians for centuries
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @zzombie

Thou shalt not ? .

RATSACH

I.to murder, slay, ?

A.(Qal) to murder, slay

i.premeditated

ii.accidental

iii.as avenger

B.(Niphal) to be slain

C.(Piel)

i.to murder, assassinate

D.(Pual) to be killed

So the definition given by strongs is in linev with what I said.

If you were quoting from exodus 20:13, yes sir.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    mryounggun wrote: »
    It's pretty arbitrary for us to feel like it's ok for the government to determine when killing someone is justifiable and carry out the killing, but it's not ok for a regular citizen to do it. There is literally no basis for this at all. Not that I can think of, anyway. But I was wrong once before in like '98, so it could be happening again.

But that's exactly the case with imprisonment also.

I hear what you're saying, but yea...
  • desertrain10

It encourages to live by the laws of the nation you reside in as much as possible but also try to live godly. The amount of Jewish traditionalv law that a Christian has to practice has been a matter of contention among Christians for centuries

But the New Testament derived from the teachings of Christ himself does encourage those values, correct?

Values that are indirect contention with the death penalty
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun wrote: »

But that's exactly the case with imprisonment also.

I hear hat you're saying, but yea...

Agreed, but there is a societal NEED for some some to be incarcerated so it's one of those things that - good or bad - needs to exist. And there's no finality to it.

Death, on the other hand...
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't trust the current justice system with someone's freedom, let alone their life
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    I just think there has to be another way, than to just ? someone. There has to be something valuable that can come from them. Force them to work for their meals, particularly in ways that could benefit society. There has to be some ? work they could do for free.
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just think there has to be another way, than to just ? someone. There has to be something valuable that can come from them. Force them to work for their meals, particularly in ways that could benefit society. There has to be some ? work they could do for free.

so slavery? interesting.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Pedophiles, they gotta go.

Them and rapists ? closest to changing my tune
  • obnoxiouslyfresh

so slavery? interesting.

Yaaaasssss
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lmao @ OB out here sentencing ? to community service for life
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    Lmao @ OB out here sentencing ? to community service for life

There has to be some ? out here besides making license plates that we all need, but no one wants to do. They should have to do that ? . Or not get dinner.
  • zzombie

But the New Testament derived from the teachings of Christ himself does encourage those values, correct?

I have seen nothing in the new testament that would indicate Jesus would be against the death penalty for unrepentant people.
  • desertrain10
    edited December 2015

I have seen nothing in the new testament that would indicate Jesus would be against the death penalty for unrepentant people.

Again he encourages his followers to forgive; to leave the judgement of others to ? ; to not repay evil with evil

Murdering someone for essentially committing a sin when we are ourselves are sinners does not jive with the aforementioned

Than there is the story of how he stopped a woman from being stoned to death because she broke a law of the land

All of which says to me that Jesus would not be down for capital punishment

Most major religion leaders today oppose the death penalty