Newspaper columnist breaks leg as Iowa State fans storm court

Young Stef
Young Stef Members Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2015 in From the Cheap Seats
AMES, Iowa -- Des Moines Register columnist Randy Peterson suffered what the newspaper said is a compound leg fracture when Iowa State fans stormed the court after a win over Iowa.

The fourth-ranked Cyclones rallied from 20 down to beat their in-state rivals 83-82 Thursday night on a winning shot with nine seconds left. Iowa State fans rushed the floor at Hilton Coliseum, and Peterson was injured as he was heading to the postgame news conference.

Peterson suffered a broken tibia and fibula, according to the Register, where has covered sports in Iowa for roughly four decades.

Peterson, who was photographed at the hospital still wearing his press pass, took to Twitter shortly after the incident.
Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard, when asked about how Iowa State handled on-court security, told ESPN in a text message, "In fairness we still do not know exactly what happened.

"However at this point our thoughts are focused on Randy and his wife Patty, who is battling cancer.

"Coach [Steve] Prohm and I both have personally spoken with him and have assured him we will do whatever we can do to help them both through what they are dealing with as a family."

Said Prohm: "I hate that Randy got hurt. That's terrible. But, my thing, I was trying to go see my wife, to be honest with you. It was a great moment. That's part of college basketball."

The Big 12 passed a measure this past summer that would allow commissioner Bob Bowlsby to levy punishment on schools that failed to keep fans away from the court.

Prohm, however, said he feels that rushing the floor after a big win is just a part of the college atmosphere.

"That's part of college athletics. That's a great moment," Prohm said. "Those college kids ... they've been camping out here (for tickets) for three days."

Comments