NYPD Pig Involved In Shooting Death Of Amadou Diallo Set To Get A Promotion...

stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nypd-involved-1999-shooting-death-set-promoted-article-1.2467811
EXCLUSIVE: Promotion for NYPD cop involved in shooting death of Amadou Diallo — shot 41 times in 1999 — pains victim’s mom

The mother of Amadou Diallo reeled at the news: One of the four cops who killed her unarmed son in a 41-shot fusillade is set for an NYPD promotion — and a raise.

Old wounds reopened quickly Wednesday with word of Officer Kenneth Boss’ elevation to sergeant nearly 17 years after the divisive Feb. 4, 1999, shooting of the black West African immigrant by four white cops in the Bronx.

“You have so many police officers out there who deserve to be promoted, and this man is being promoted?” a bewildered Kadiatou Diallo asked the Daily News.

“For doing what? Killing my son? I don’t have any hatred or revenge in my heart, but my life was changed forever that day. This is a stab in the heart.”

Boss, who fired five of the shots after Diallo, 22, innocently reached for his wallet in the darkness of his apartment building’s vestibule, will receive his controversial new rank Thursday.

I think it’s disgraceful and sends the wrong signal at a time when nationwide we are raising the question of police reform,” said the Rev. Al Sharpton, who served as a family adviser for the Diallos.

“This was one of the most obvious cases of police brutality.”

Boss battled fiercely to keep his job after the shooting. His promotion to sergeant was mandated by police policy and not subject to review by NYPD brass.

“Officer Boss has passed the Civil Service exam for promotion to sergeant,” said Deputy Police Commissioner Stephen Davis. “He is currently on full-duty status and not subject to any disciplinary or administrative hold.”

Boss was working that night with the NYPD street crime unit. Nineteen bullets tore into Diallo, whose family reached a $3 million settlement with the city in 2004.

A police source said that Boss, now 44, had earned his sergeant’s stripes.

“He’s worked his ass off,” the source said. “He passed the test. He should be left alone.”

Boss, a Marine reservist who did a tour in Iraq, refused to leave the NYPD after the killing and a trial where he and three fellow cops were acquitted of murder and other charges.

The case had been relocated to Albany after a court found the cops couldn’t receive a fair trial in the city.

Officer Sean Carroll retired in 2005, while co-defendants Richard Murphy and Edward McMellon joined the FDNY. Only Boss remained on the job across the next 16 years. He was relegated to desk duty and was disarmed until 2012.

Boss is assigned to the NYPD aviation unit.

There was no answer at Boss’ home in Bohemia, L.I., but his attorney said the promotion was a long time coming and defended the cop against his critics.

“Anybody who elects to serve as a Marine combat infantryman in Iraq or in the most dangerous unit in the NYPD can talk,” said lawyer Edward Hayes. “Otherwise, people should shut up and sit down.”

The shots started flying in December 1999 after Carroll shouted that the native of Guinea had a gun, with all four cops then opening fire on Diallo.

Daily demonstrations followed, with an assortment of protesters cuffed for civil disobedience, including former Mayor David Dinkins, future Gov. David Paterson, radical lawyer Ron Kuby, actors Ruby Dee and Ossie Davis, and Oscar-winner Susan Sarandon.

Sharpton plans a protest rally outside 1 Police Plaza over the promotion of the 21-year police veteran.

“Members of the NYPD should come out and say something against this,” said Kadiatou Diallo. “If they are brave enough, they will stand up for what’s right.

“This is incredible. No one in New York City would agree with this decision. This will not help relations between law enforcement and the city.”

Sharpton was irate that Boss was still on the force at all, and called for a change in the existing Civil Service laws.

“He could have been thrown off the force immediately after it happened,” said Sharpton.

Comments