Mr. Robot Is Going To Get Much Darker In It's Second Season

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2015 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Mr. Robot's main character, Elliot Alderson, was put through the wringer during the show's stellar first season. According to Rami Malek (the actor who plays the character), that was just the start, however, and it's about to get a whole lot tougher.

Malek sat down with Variety to talk about his role in the show and the various award nominations he's picked up, including a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actor in a Television Series — Drama. Malek said that although he knows exactly what happens in the second season of the show, he couldn't discuss much, but did confirm that creator Sam Esmail said it was going to get much harder for Elliot.

"One thing he told me, and I hope I'm at liberty to say this, is, 'You have to tell me if there's anything you're not okay with,'" Malek said. "He said, 'Just tell me if things are too hard on you, and I'll pull back.'"

When Malek told Esmail that he never asked him that when they were filming the first season, Esmail responded by warning Malek it was going to get a lot harder for him as an actor to take on the subject matter they were going to tackle. In the show, Malek plays an emotionally disturbed hacker struggling with distinguishing between what's real and what are just figments of his imagination. He spends the majority of the show trying to cope with the loss of sanity while also trying to bring down an evil conglomerate that has left the world in a state of financial ruin.

Although there isn't much information about what that subject matter may be, Malek did confirm that this season was going to look at different periods of Elliot's life and how his relationship with "his father" lead him to become the person he is today.

There's no release date for Mr. Robot's second season, but despite it being a summer show this year, there's a very good possibility USA Network will move it to the fall based on the critical success and devoted following it garnered.

Comments