12 Sequels You Didn’t Know Were Coming In 2016

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2015 in Lights, Camera, Action!
In amongst all the heavily promoted movies coming out next year, there are some that can get lost in the shuffle, especially if they have the word “sequel” somewhere in the description.

However, there are some amazing stories being continued in 2016 (and some that may just have the potential to be great) that you might have missed. From those that are picking up where we left off a decade ago (or more) to those that you may just not have seen yet, here are twelve upcoming sequels that you didn’t know were on the horizon.

Here are 12 Sequels You Didn’t Know Were Coming in 2016.

12. Bridget Jones’ Baby

It’s been nearly fifteen years since we first met the irrepressible Bridget Jones, with her foul mouth, penchant for wine, and constant dieting. Renee Zellweger, Colin Firth and Hugh Grant starred in this most British of rom-coms, and returned three years later for Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason.

Now, Jones is back, entering her forties and still single- or close enough, as her tangled love Destiny
An unexpected pregnancy is the focus of this sequel. While the films have now wildly deviated from the books (in the third novel, Jones had been happily married to Darcy, with a child, and is struggling with being a widow and single mother), hopefully her relatable charm remains.

11. Ride Along 2

This follow up to the 2014 Ride Along is nearly upon us, hitting theaters in only a few weeks. Ben (Kevin Hart) and James (Ice Cube) are back, this time headed to Atlanta to tackle a drug supply chain – and with his wedding to Angela (Tika Sumpter) almost here!

The usual hilarity at ridiculous situations and the chalk-and-cheese personalities of the two men are sure to get a few laughs from viewers. However, with the original Ride Along having received less-than-wonderful reviews (although critics were impressed by the energy of Kevin Hart as a comedian), we have to hope that the sequel steps up its game.

10. My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2

The third iteration of this comedy franchise, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 looks like it will pick up in real time, as Toula (Nia Vardalos) and Ian (John Corbett) now have a teenage daughter who is causing them all kinds of trouble. On top of that, the gang’s all back together for another big fat Greek wedding, undoubtedly even more ridiculous than the first one.

It’s been some time since My Big Fat Greek Life, the failed sitcom attempt at continuing the story for television (the show was canceled after only seven episodes), so hopefully this return to the big screen will herald a return to the kind of comedy that made the original so much fun.

9. BarberShop: The Next Cut

Ice Cube’s second return to the screen in 2016, BarberShop: The Next Cut picks up over ten years after where we left of with Barbershop 2: Back in Business. Now, owner Calvin (Ice Cube) and his team are dealing with a whole new set of problems; not only is he trying to raise his son and deal with having combined his shop with a women’s salon (the horror), but the neighborhood just keeps getting worse.

There is little doubt that this next installment will be just as heartwarming and character driven as the first two, with the same kind of laughter and focus on community and family.

8. Ice Age: Collision Course

It seems that Fox is just going to keep making Ice Age movies as long as people keep watching them, as 2016 will see the fifth feature-length film arrive in theaters (the tenth if you include various short films and the Christmas special). All the usual suspects will be back, including Ray Romano as Manny, John Leguizamo as Sid, Dennis Leary as Diego, and Jennifer Lopez as Shira.

This time, Scrat (Chris Wedge) manages to follow his elusive acorn off the surface of the planet (somehow) and becomes a space-travelling saber-toothed squirrel. Of course, in typical Scrat style, he messes everything up and ends up threatening the planet… triggering yet another migration for the poor critters back on land.

7. John Wick 2

Keanu Reeves returns as ex-hit-man John Wick in this sequel following fast on the heels of the 2014 action flick John Wick. We’ll be seeing Reeves explore some of John Wick’s past as an assassin, as he struggles to reconcile John (the average Joe who just wants a wife and a dog) and John Wick (the talented and ruthless killer). Going into his past means that the film will also revisit some of the fictional locations from the original, including the killer-friendly Continental hotel.

The first movie did well, although it didn’t seem to really break into blockbuster territory; however, this new follow up may be just the ticket to bring the character into the mainstream.

6. Kung Fu Panda 3

The adorable martial-arts panda Po (Jack Black) is back – and we finally get to find out where he came from! In this third installment of the hit animated franchise, Po’s father comes looking for him and takes him home to a panda sanctuary. The story has some similarities with the original film, as Po finds that he just doesn’t fit in with the pandas, even though they are his own kind.

On top of his own personal struggle, Po has to defeat yet another enemy, Kai (J.K. Simmons), who is stealing kung fu powers. Po has to train up the pandas in the sanctuary to help him fight, which sounds both hilarious and adorable: a perfect description of the entire franchise.

5. The Huntsman: Winter’s War

Despite the mixed reviews and less-than-favorable reception for Snow White and the Huntsman, Chris Hemsworth is back for a second fairy tale film which looks significantly better than the original.

This time, there is no lackluster Snow White (Kirsten Stewart), but a warrior woman (Jessica Chastain) who is the equal of Hemsworth’s huntsman. These two fighters are in the middle of a war, fighting to prevent the Evil Queen (Charlize Theron) and her sister, the Ice Queen (Emily Blunt) from taking over. Winter’s War is most definitely going to be an action movie, and its incredible cast and stunning costuming are sure to impress.

4. The Conjuring 2: The Enfield Poltergeist

James Wan is set to return for this horror sequel, as are Chad and Carey Hayes (the brothers who wrote the first film), so horror fans have every reason to expect this to be just as good as the original film. The script is based on the (supposedly) true story of the Enfield Poltergeist, some fairly typical ghost story fodder as a poltergeist haunts a group of siblings in the ‘70s.

Ed (Patrick Wilson) and Lorraine (Vera Farmiga) Warren are back, and traveling to the UK to investigate this latest supernatural occurrence, with all the usual scary moments and creepy extras along the way.

3. Bad Santa 2

The surprisingly sweet (yet incredibly rude) cult classic Bad Santa is finally getting a follow up! This time next year, fans of Billy Bob Thornton and his heavy-drinking, safe-cracking Santa can settle in for another installment of the most adult Christmas movie around.

Joining Thornton are Tony ? as Willie’s unwilling partner in crime Marcus, and Brett Kelly as the (presumably) grown up Thurman Merman. Kathy Bates will also be popping up as Willie’s mother, which is sure to be an interesting twist to the story- perhaps we’ll learn a little about what makes this bad Santa who he is. Sure to be full of crude jokes and lots of sex and ? , Bad Santa 2 has some big shoes to fill.

Comments

• 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2. Now You See Me 2

The Horsemen are back in this follow up to the hit caper movie of 2013, Now You See Me. More magic and unbelievable stunts are teased, but the big question is: are the Horsemen really the good guys? Walter (Daniel Radcliffe) doesn’t think so, as he sets out to avenge his father’s imprisonment as a result of the Horsemen’s last antics.

Like the original, this is going to be a movie full of twists and turns, hopefully with the same kind of amazing final reveal that won over audiences in the original. Not all members of the first film’s cast are returning (Isla Fisher is nowhere to be found), but most of them are, along with a few new additions to this incredible franchise.

1. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny

After the incredible success of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in 2000, it’s surprising that it has taken this long for a sequel to hit our screens. Despite something of a tortuous journey to completion, Sword of Destiny will finally see the light of day courtesy of Netflix, where the sequel will air on February 26th.

Michelle Yeoh returns as Yu Shu Lien, as she must guard the green sword of destiny against those who would use it for evil. Based on the novel Iron Knight, Silver Vase (by ? Dulu), this is sure to be another marital arts visual spectacular.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Ride Along 2
    Barber Shop 3
    John Wick 2
    The Huntsman 2

Only ones I'm interested in really
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So john wicks sequel is a prequel.

And ? that twilight ? . Ha they just dropped her ass.
    They made a snow white sequel without her....prolly for the best.
  • wmj710
    wmj710 Members Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    You mean 12 sequels I dont care about, well 11 I'll check out John wicks.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bad Santa & Barbershop will do it for me
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    John Wick
    Bad Santa
    Crouching Tiger

and MAYBE Conjuring 2. I need to rewatch the first one before i decide on watching the sequel. I cant remember it but i want to say it sucked.
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i wonder how many sequels altogether in 2016
    probably 30 or more smh
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    John Wick
    Bad Santa
    Crouching Tiger

and MAYBE Conjuring 2. I need to rewatch the first one before i decide on watching the sequel. I cant remember it but i want to say it sucked.

Conjuring was one of the better horror flicks imo
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »
    John Wick
    Bad Santa
    Crouching Tiger

It didn't try hard to be scary. It just was.
  • 5onblackhandside
    5onblackhandside Members Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I want to see a Cloverfield and Chronicle sequel or prequel, i dont give a ?
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ice cube is a blk adam ?
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bad santa the only one i'm checking for. Also how would a chronicle sequel or prequel work. Before they were lames without powers. After they learned a valuable lesson from the ? that nutted on himself died.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Conjuring 2 and bad Santa 2. maybe barbershop. Won't bother With the rest
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    John Wick
    Bad Santa
    Crouching Tiger

I always get conjuring insidious and sinister mixed up lol. They all the same to me.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    John Wick
    Bad Santa
    Crouching Tiger

I always get conjuring insidious and sinister mixed up lol. They all the same to me.

Probably cause James wan did both insidious and conjuring. Kinda have the same style
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    John wick was a sick flick definitely gotta see the sequel
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm only checking for like two of those movies and yet I still knew that they were all coming out months ago.
  • ChillaDaGawd
    ChillaDaGawd Members Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RIP...Hollywood Originality
  • FishNChips
    FishNChips Members Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RIP...Hollywood Originality

I was waiting for someone to say this. I don't know how you can say this when nothing is completely original in the first place. almost everything has a part of something else in it, no matter how small.

second, just because it's a sequel doesn't mean there can't be originality or creativity brought to it. any sequel worth its salt is simply returning to the world of the movie and bringing back certain characters, it's not completely recreating the original, like hangover 2 did. Just look at Terminator 2 or The Godfather Part 2 for great sequels that are on par, or arguably better than the original.

finally, I doubt you go see many, if any, of the original movies being made that aren't sequels or based on something else.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    John Wick 2 and Bad Santa 2... Maybe Conjuring 2, CTHD 2, and Now You See Me 2... Others meh
  • K_Fisher
    K_Fisher Members Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Out of that list , am only interested in John Wick
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    *jaw drops at #1*

WOW I DIDN'T KNOW THAT WAS HAPPENING
  • BIGG WILL
    BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yall sleep. Now U See Me was dope af. Conjuring 2 should be sick as well. Those are the top 2 I want to see.
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Crouching Tiger has Donnie Yen in it so I will definitly be seeing that. The Conjuring though it scared the ? out of me will be watched enthusiatically if I am dragged to it and maybe The Huntsman. Need to watch John Wick