Why Hayden Christensen Quit Acting After Star Wars

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
hayden_christensen_102847.jpg

There are a number of issues that Star Wars fans like to pick on when it comes to the prequels, and one element that takes a lot of heat is Hayden Christensen’s performance as Anakin Skywalker in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. Though he’d been acting for more than a decade before his stint as the future Darth Vader, he took a break from Hollywood and recently revealed why.

As it turns out, it wasn’t due to fan backlash against his turn as Anakin. Talking to Yahoo, he disclosed that it was more that he felt like hadn’t earned his newfound status. He said:

"I felt like I had this great thing in Star Wars that provided all these opportunities and gave me a career, but it all kind of felt a little too handed to me. I didn’t want to go through life feeling like I was just riding a wave."

Revenge of the Sith, the third Episode and final installment of the prequel trilogy, hit theaters in 2005, and though Christensen appeared in a few projects here and there afterwards, most notably Jumper, he largely took a break from the industry. In 2007, he bought a farm in Ontario, Canada, and spent a great deal of time renovating the property and learning about the day-to-day mechanics and operations of such an endeavor. (In 2013 he actually teamed up with Canadian retailer RW&Co to release a clothing line inspired by his farm.)

Though he’s appeared in a few things here and there, the last few years have generally been quiet for Christensen. There’s a substantial gap in his on screen resume from 2010 through 2014, though things have been getting busier over the last year or so. In 2014 he appeared with Nicolas Cage in the old timey adventure Outcast, as well as the crime actioner American Heist with Adrien Brody and Jordana Brewster, and last year he showed up in the faith-based drama 90 Minutes In Heaven.

Christensen seems to be pleased that he has a much lower profile these days, and though his roles may not be as big, it provides him with the opportunity to do things on his own and earn what he gets. He said:

"You can’t take years off and not have it affect your career. But I don’t know — in a weird, sort of destructive way, there was something appealing about that to me. There was something in the back of my head that was like, ‘If this time away is gonna be damaging to my career, then so be it. If I can come back afterward and claw my way back in, then maybe I’ll feel like I earned it.’"

Now that Star Wars: The Force Awakens is out and taking over the world, new information indicates that there was at some stage in the development process, an Anakin Skywalker scene in Episode VII. He would reportedly have shown up as a Force Ghost, though in what capacity and to who he would appear isn’t known. But given that Hayden Christensen appears to be at ease with where his career is at the moment, perhaps it’s for the best that it didn’t happen.

Comments

• CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i thought his performance as anakin was aight
    and liked jumper too
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didn't he do jumper and some movie in a hospital I think the "eye" or something? Oh and takers
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Having the jumper ability is top notch. That's better than flying and super speed IMO
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CracceR wrote: »
    jumpers was a really dope concept, sam jacks was a beast too

Yea I actually liked that movie as well the problem was once again writing but it had a lot of potential.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Having the jumper ability is top notch. That's better than flying and super speed IMO

Maybe flying, but not super speed, flash would be waiting for his ass to make that jump then knock the ? outta him, at every location
  • CracceR
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Those Star Wars checks were so good he can literally become a superhero tomorrow and he'll always have money to do whatever he wants until his dying days. When was the last time you seen Natalie Portman in a movie ? Exactly LOLOOLOLOLOL. They're eating good off them checks :+1: .

Bruh she won an Oscar , and is in marvel movies

blacc swan was the ? too

natalie-portman-black-swan-o.gif GIFSoup
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »

Maybe flying, but not super speed, flash would be waiting for his ass to make that jump then knock the ? outta him, at every location

He can jump anywhere in 1 second.

He can go from Nebraska to Istanbul in 1 second. And back to Nebraska in another second. Flash wish he could do that.

It's faster bruh.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why Hayden Christensen Quit Acting After Star Wars

He should've stopped before.
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jumper was a slept on movie. Wasn't he in Awake too? That was good also.
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    44Since88 wrote: »
    Jumper was a slept on movie. Wasn't he in Awake too? That was good also.

Yeah jumper was the ? so mad they never made a sequel like they did with the books tho
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options

He can go from Nebraska to Istanbul in 1 second. And back to Nebraska in another second. Flash wish he could do that.

It's faster bruh.

I dont even read comics but know the flash is faster
  • NCswag
    NCswag Members Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's faster bruh.

I'm pretty sure jumper is faster
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol. Super speed or teleportation. Definitely teleportation
  • CracceR
    edited January 2016
    Options
    NCswag wrote: »

It's faster bruh.

I'm pretty sure jumper is faster

faster from A to B but then his movements are slower when he wants to punch/kicc flash
  • Beta
    Options
    Ima watch jumper later for the hell of it
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He was in takers

Anyway his anakin wasn't bad
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    He was in takers

Anyway his anakin wasn't bad

True I think people criticized him and Natalie Portman because their chemistry was off And thats why alot of folks hated the prequel series. Well and lame ass jar jar binks
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jake Lloyd really did quit acting and never made another movie mainly because people in school would bully him with stuff like making light saber noises when he'd walk by. Oh well he was trash as Anakin too, I cringed when he spoke his first lines in Episode I.
  • Beta
    Options
    How do you tease a kid for being in a movie though? Lol
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Clone Wars Anakin was a whiny ? . His Revenge of the Sith Anakin was better tho.
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    How do you tease a kid for being in a movie though? Lol

Lol because he was ? in it. His first lines when he was like "I am a person!!! My name is Anakin" made me laugh and cringe at the same time. Lloyd and Christensen were both terrible actors but also weren't nearly convincing enough to play the person who would later become Darth Vader. No confidence, not bad ass enough, etc. The way he was simping for Natalie Portman was pitiful to watch, I just couldn't imagine the future Darth Vader simping for no ? .