Lebron James Speaks on Tamir Rice...

Options
playmaker88
playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2015 in For The Grown & Sexy
DENVER -- LeBron James spoke publicly Tuesday for the first time since a grand jury declined Monday to press charges against the police officers responsible for the November 2014 shooting death of Tamir Rice, a 12-year-old Cleveland native.

James said he was slow to react to the news because he was not informed on all the details pertaining to the case, but activists have started a social media campaign calling for James to sit out games in protest of the grand jury decision.

"For me, I've always been a guy who's took pride in knowledge of every situation that I've ever spoke on," James said following the Cavs' win over the Denver Nuggets. "And to be honest, I haven't really been on top of this issue. So it's hard for me to comment. I understand that any lives that [are] lost, what we want more than anything is prayer and the best for the family, for anyone. But for me to comment on the situation, I don't have enough knowledge about it."

James has become more and more outspoken regarding social issues facing the United States in recent years. His willingness to comment on issues, coupled with his immense fame and influence, caused activist and writer Tariq Touré to create the Twitter hashtag #NoJusticeNoLeBron, calling for James to sit in protest of the outcome of the Rice case. The hashtag was embraced by Black Lives Matter activists and gained moderate traction online.

James said that, just like the particulars of the investigation into the police officers' actions against Rice, he was not fully informed about the calls for him to personally protest the lack of an indictment.

"I caught a little bit of it from my folks on the side saying that you guys might ask me about it, but I have no knowledge," James said. "I'm not much of a social media guy. I'm on it, for sure, but I'm not always looking at what's going on in it."

A reporter later asked what James could do, as someone in his position, to help enact the social change he wants to see in this country.

"First of all, I think I've been very outspoken about what I believe in," James said. "What hits home for me, what I am [knowledgeable] about. There's been so many more issues that's gone on that I haven't spoken about.

"There's been the San Bernardino massacre, there's been guys going in movie theaters, shooting up movie theaters, there's been other issues. Those are not something that ... I don't have much knowledge of so I don't speak about it. So for me ... if I feel like it's something that I have a lot of knowledge about [I'll add my voice to the issue], because I don't like to speak when I don't know about it.

"But I think the most important thing that we all need to understand, the most important thing, this issue is bigger than LeBron. This issue is bigger than me; it's about everyone. And gun violence and tragedies and kids losing lives at a young age, some way, somehow we need to understand that that matters more than just an individual."

James has lent his support to social issues in the past, starting in March 2012, when he and then-teammate Dwyane Wade organized a photo of the entire Miami Heat team wearing hooded sweatshirts, the same style of hoodie Trayvon Martin was wearing when he was shot by George Zimmerman. James posted the photo to social media along with the hashtag #wearetrayvonmartin.

Last season, James displayed a similar social consciousness, commenting on the death of Mike Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, and joining dozens of other NBA players in wearing an "I can't breathe" T-shirt during pregame warm-ups to identify with supporters of Eric Garner, another black man killed during a confrontation with police.

In October, he took to Twitter to offer his condolences on the death of a 5-month-old girl, Aavielle Wakefield, who was killed in a drive-by shooting in Cleveland. He later elaborated on his stance, saying, "There's no room for" gun violence.

Thoughts...

Comments

• The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LeBron always been a stand up guy as far as social issues go
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't expect lebron to do anything but be lebron

It's gonna take more than a basketball player to make a change, blacks have have other public figures with just as big as a influence who have taken on these issues head on and have been killed for it, and no change has occurred, stop looking outward for freedom and look inside

I feel like people shouldn't ask white people to change or ask lebron or other celebs to do stuff for them, get up get out and gon get it
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sounds like ignorance as an excuse. Keeps him from taking sides and safe from any back lash.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sara Suten Seti words are more meaningful to me than anyone else's when it concerns this.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here are mines everyone was back slapping Lebron for throwing on a Hoody and a T-shirt.. and praising him as a leader in social justice in the sports arena.. . Wrongfully... because he never fully articulated like SOME other athletes have. Basically hes is saying ..."thats messed up" .. Its shame tbh especially coming from that area being in that area. He should have never been touted as something he isn't.. its inexcusable for something like this that had national international attention to happen in your backyard yet you have nothing substantive to say..

If you throw on that Hoody to make a statement.. make....a STATEMENT

Give us a sample.

Please do tell...what should his statement be
  • S2J
    edited December 2015
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    Sounds like ignorance as an excuse. Keeps him from taking sides and safe from any back lash.

Last i checked he didnt put a bullet in that boy head

Look at ? tho!

The COURT has spoken, the ? you asking Lebron for NOW?

ALSO...we on the net, i got 20k posts, we see this ? everyday. So in an era of a new shooting everyday, im not holding ANYONE to the fire for not being abreast of every damn bit of pop news like the world has a IC account and checks "G&S" everyday. Lot of yall have lost that perspective

I talk to plenty of people daily who dont know any and every topic that we here on the IC talk about for dozens of pages

We're no better than them. Quite frankly it just mean we dont have lives and/or dont be doin ? at work
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The better statement would be if people didn't go to the games. Don't put it a all on Lebron. Lebron be sitting out games because he's tired and ? , this will do nothing.. Seeing a nearly empty arena will speak volumes.
  • S2J
    Options
    rapmusic wrote: »
    The better statement would be if people didn't go to the games. Don't put it a all on Lebron. Lebron be sitting out games because he's tired and ? , this will do nothing.. Seeing a nearly empty arena will speak volumes.

Damn. Ether
  • FlightKing
    FlightKing Members Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe he's been too busy to sit and read about this issue. He's spoken up enough before to show he cares about issues. If he misses one, nobody should indict him for it.
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I said it before and is say it again, if black people want real change we need to petition black people in the military to boycott and go awol instead of one athlete, that will really hurt America when one third of your armed forces disappears over night
  • the dukester
    the dukester Members Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lebron tiptoeing through the tulips with that statement. Smh @ him sounding like Obama being all politically correct.

To be fair, residents of Cleveland need to put pressure on their elected representatives, rather than athletes.

Since when does jamming a basketball, then mean-mugging into the camera qualify you as a spokesperson for police brutality.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    ghostdog56 wrote: »
    I said it before and is say it again, if black people want real change we need to petition black people in the military to boycott and go awol instead of one athlete, that will really hurt America when one third of your armed forces disappears over night

I see your point but I'm not sure about that. Cuz socioeconomic conditions is mainly why black people join the military in the first place.

It would send a temporary message but it's not gonna fix the problem
  • MD_PROPER
    MD_PROPER Members Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Here are mines everyone was back slapping Lebron for throwing on a Hoody and a T-shirt.. and praising him as a leader in social justice in the sports arena.. . Wrongfully... because he never fully articulated like SOME other athletes have. Basically hes is saying ..."thats messed up" .. Its shame tbh especially coming from that area being in that area. He should have never been touted as something he isn't.. its inexcusable for something like this that had national international attention to happen in your backyard yet you have nothing substantive to say..

If you throw on that Hoody to make a statement.. make....a STATEMENT

I wrote about that situation in a paper. I applauded LeBron for making a statement. I get the paper back from the professor (old white guy) and he wrote a comment saying this is just LeBron being LeBron, meaning he's trying get attention.
    I tbought to myself, dude just hatin, but reading the bolded just made think twice about my original opinion of the Miami Heat Hoodie pic.

This ? happened in the city he plays for..he has a son close to the age Tamir Rice was...you telling me you're not fully aware of the circumstances surrounding the shooting...Really King?HE17cy.gif

Smh......great talent, but he's just a glory hog18225312.gif