Lebron James Speaks on Tamir Rice...

Options

Comments

• Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    Lebron knows about this case though....
    I don't think he meant to claim ignorance on the case...

He's on a long road trip in the locker room wrapped in a towel, not even fully dressed answering questions on the fly. He knows about Tamir but it's fair to say he may not have known about the decision to not charge the cop
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »

He's on a long road trip in the locker room wrapped in a towel, not even fully dressed answering questions on the fly. He knows about Tamir but it's fair to say he may not have known about the decision to not charge the cop

You do bring an interesting point. NBA players are interviewed just as you said and often not long after a game. To expect a detailed response on anything non game related is being a bit naive. Can see if it was like NFL players where some get weekly press conferences but to expect the response some wanted they're putting too much hope onto another human being
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He could have articulated his stance better but he was not trying to be deaf dumb and blind
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A PC statement as expected and no one should have expected anything different. Once again a simple no comment would have sufficed. His response did not need to be that long, but athletes today are not going to ? up their money for speaking the truth.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    Show me a sound bite of Tom Brady, Justin Beiber, or Taylor swift discussing social issues in the wht community?

wht ppl aren't stupid. when ? get thick, they seek the ppl who can actually handle, and discuss the issues FOR REAL SOLUTIONS. they don't go to entertainers...
    I guess when the community you are a part of is a joke. It make sense to look for court jesters for SOLUTIONS.

There are actually a lot of white celebrities who openly champion and speak on causes that are important to them such as ? rights, drug legalization, climate change, animal cruelty, gun control, etc because of their platform

Many of whom are politically active

And I'm sure many them were prompted or requested to do so

Yes Peyton Manning doesn't face the same pressure to speak on social issues as a LeBron James

The difference is Peyton isn't a member of a community that is largely disenfranchised ...who are underrepresented in government and corporate America

And no one is looking for LeBron to solve anything....most ppl look towards celebrities in these matters to make use of their fame and resources same as they did during the Civil Rights Movement...not unreasonable

Not to say that it's a great idea or that we should expect every blk celebrity to speak on and champion issues important to us but let's be real

If LeBron and his teammates were to actually sit out games and call for his fans to not come to the games costing Cleveland and team owners possibly costing millions in revenue that would get some heads turning...same as what happened in Missouri when the college football players boycotted
    The WHITE CELEBS WHO DO SPEAK UP, ARE GENERALLY The one's, who HAVE ACTUAL INTEREST IN POLITICS AND SOCIAL ISSUES. MOST IMPORTANTLY, THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT.
    When I SAY SPEAK UP, i'm not talking about ? ads, i'm TALKING, actual Discussions.

Blk Celebs in the past, were able to use their celebrity, and put a light on the movement because, there was an actual movement, with actual leaders, and groups, and most importantly the community was a part of it. it Wasn't just ALI Or BILL RUSSELL by THEMSELVES.

This CALL FOR LEBRON was all a PLOY at SYMBOLISM, and not as an act of resolution.

if they wanted an actual athlete to speak up on this issue, they could of holla'd at Andrew Hawkins (the athlete @Breezy_Kilroy posted). Anthony Hawkins already PASSIONATELY spoke about Tamir AND JOHN CRAWFORD and was coherent , and showed actual concerned on this issue.
    They didn't because, these so-called TWITTER activist are out of touch with the community.

LEBRON n his TEAMMATES sitting out that game, has nothing to do with the prosecutors or the justice system. Unlike the MISSOURI Football player's, whose boycott had a direct AFFECT on the SCHOOL.
  • D0wn
    Options
    A PC statement as expected and no one should have expected anything different. Once again a simple no comment would have sufficed. His response did not need to be that long, but athletes today are not going to ? up their money for speaking the truth.

Why would they? when the average ? won't even boycott blk friday, or christmas.
    the average blk person wanna fix their face, and act like they're Malcolm, Garvey or Chaka Khan. Yet, they won't even put their ? check to check jobs on the line, but they expect athletes and entertainers to put millions on the line for "truth". LMAO
  • The Hue
    The Hue Members Posts: 760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    We gotta stop relying on these celebrities, just like when a lot of black people thought that ? was gonna change for us when Obama got elected. We gotta put in our own work.
  • D0wn
    Options
    The Hue wrote: »
    We gotta stop relying on these celebrities, just like when a lot of black people thought that ? was gonna change for us when Obama got elected. We gotta put in our own work.

PrEEEAACCH
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ #NoJusticeNoLeBron
  • vitoria
    vitoria Members Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    He's a sellout
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    LeBron should a said "I'll sit out games if the people who brought my name up quit their jobs too."

These half assed Internet protesters need to prioritize better.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Show me a sound bite of Tom Brady, Justin Beiber, or Taylor swift discussing social issues in the wht community?

wht ppl aren't stupid. when ? get thick, they seek the ppl who can actually handle, and discuss the issues FOR REAL SOLUTIONS. they don't go to entertainers...
    I guess when the community you are a part of is a joke. It make sense to look for court jesters for SOLUTIONS.

There are actually a lot of white celebrities who openly champion and speak on causes that are important to them such as ? rights, drug legalization, climate change, animal cruelty, gun control, etc because of their platform

Yes Peyton Manning doesn't face the same pressure to speak on social issues as a LeBron James

The difference is Peyton isn't a member of a community that is largely disenfranchised ...who are underrepresented in government and corporate America

And no one is looking for LeBron to solve anything....most ppl look towards celebrities in these matters to make use of their fame and resources same as they did during the Civil Rights Movement...not unreasonable

Not to say that it's a great idea or that we should expect every blk celebrity to speak on and champion issues important to us but let's be real

If LeBron and his teammates were to actually sit out games and call for his fans to not come to the games costing Cleveland and team owners possibly costing millions in revenue that would get some heads turning...same as what happened in Missouri when the college football players boycotted
    The WHITE CELEBS WHO DO SPEAK UP, ARE GENERALLY The one's, who HAVE ACTUAL INTEREST IN POLITICS AND SOCIAL ISSUES. MOST IMPORTANTLY, THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT.
    When I SAY SPEAK UP, i'm not talking about ? ads, i'm TALKING, actual Discussions.

Blk Celebs in the past, were able to use their celebrity, and put a light on the movement because, there was an actual movement, with actual leaders, and groups, and most importantly the community was a part of it. it Wasn't just ALI Or BILL RUSSELL by THEMSELVES.

This CALL FOR LEBRON was all a PLOY at SYMBOLISM, and not as an act of resolution.

if they wanted an actual athlete to speak up on this issue, they could of holla'd at Andrew Hawkins (the athlete @Breezy_Kilroy posted). Anthony Hawkins already PASSIONATELY spoke about Tamir AND JOHN CRAWFORD and was coherent , and showed actual concerned on this issue.
    They didn't because, these so-called TWITTER activist are out of touch with the community.

LEBRON n his TEAMMATES sitting out that game, has nothing to do with the prosecutors or the justice system. Unlike the MISSOURI Football player's, whose boycott had a direct AFFECT on the SCHOOL.

You make some good points

LeBron boycotting isn't going to impact the DOJ investigation

But the problem just isn't the prosecutor or the police, it's the system, laws in place

That's why these killings continue to happen without any one being held accountable

Long shot but ideally if LeBron and co teamed up with black activist and political leaders in Ohio boycotted and asked fans to stay home from games it would hurt Cleveland's economy and subsequently the pd

I also believe it would also inspire those who feel they have no allies in the world to take a stand in Cleveland and other places

So it wouldn't just be a symbolic gesture

Maybe he isn't the most knowledgeable or outspoken but he is known as the greatest basketball players in the world and one of the top ten players ever to hold a ball

The world dissects and analyzes his every move and word

He could bring a lot of resources and awareness to the issue of police brutality
  • Paprika
    Paprika Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Paprika wrote: »
    LeBron is trying to win a ring in Cleveland and become the hero. Meanwhile, there are problems occurring in his hometown that he now has the power to fix. This would be the opportune moment for him to organize black people.

There is no way that he isn't aware of this situation, its Cleveland, how many top-priority news pieces are they running?

But he's all about his image. I'll stick with Melo, may not have a ring, but he's in the streets. Ryker's island, Ferguson, gun violence presentations. Trying to make a change in New York.

u want a basketball player to organize a community???

again, i'll use this opportunity to highlight how pathetic the so-called blk community really is.

The same ppl who fix they're face up to state that Barak was "not the president of blk ppl, but america". Are the same ppl, who want lebron james be a leader..

The black community has been very passive until late. Everybody wants to make a change but nobody wants to lead. Lebron always showcased himself as a man who is larger than life. This would have been his opportunity. The sacrifices that Muhammad
    Ali and Kareem made, advanced the civil rights cause. For a mega-star like him to speak out would have been momentous. Instead we still walk around with blinders on bringing others back into this bucket of pettiness and ignorance.

As for your Obama comment, he has been a pedestrian president, however; he also didn't do things that adversely hurt the black community. Compared to let's say Clinton's Steagall signing or the incarceration and war on drugs from the past five presidents. Maybe you crave the high-adrenaline country shaking decisions that past presidents led.

Or maybe you don't realize that the president was handed one of the worst hand offs since Tyson ? . The Senate does exist and like all figureheads they have a board to answer to, thus all bills won't be passed.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? be getting mad when their boss sends them home early for the day because it's a slow day but are out here asking Lebron to sit out to make them feel good lol. Anybody talk to Manziel?
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »

That's not what he said...he stated he was uninformed like twice
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd rather ? put that direct pressure on lawmakers and the police rather than asking a ball player not to play ball...
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How about people get off their couches and vote for people and things that actually matter? That's the only way to change the system, and why we fought so hard to get voting rights to begin with. I give credit for example to those in Chicago who are calling for Rahm to go, but.........why did they vote his fake ass in to begin with.

• D0wn
    Options

You make some good points

LeBron boycotting isn't going to impact the DOJ investigation

But the problem just isn't the prosecutor or the police, it's the system, laws in place

That's why these killings continue to happen without any one being held accountable

Long shot but ideally if LeBron and co teamed up with black activist and political leaders in Ohio boycotted and asked fans to stay home from games it would hurt Cleveland's economy and subsequently the pd

I also believe it would also inspire those who feel they have no allies in the world to take a stand in Cleveland and other places

So it wouldn't just be a symbolic gesture

Maybe he isn't the most knowledgeable or outspoken but he is known as the greatest basketball players in the world and one of the top ten players ever to hold a ball

The world dissects and analyzes his every move and word

He could bring a lot of resources and awareness to the issue of police brutality

Yes it is symbolic. You just stated it your self .
    so what LEBRON, is THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD ... I'd rather take an informed unknown bench player, that's so deep on the bench, that he's actually in the nose bleed section.
    Yet, he knows what he's talking about, and is passionate about it. Rather then the popular figure, who can't even formulate a sentence on the issue at hand, without hours of prep and practice.

YEA LEbron is one of the most known figures in THE WORLD . But he's also a ? .
    "You have rich ? . POOR ? . SMART ? . DUMB ? . BEAUTIFUL ? . HANDSOME ? . UGLY ? . FUNNY ? . SERIOUS ? . WE ARE ALL ? To THEM". (Floyd)

Remember when LEBRON left Cleveland five years ago?
    white folks love U on their terms. White folks go Zero to a 100 real quick, once u start meddling with their establishment, aka WHITE SUPREMACY.
    N ? know that.
    LEbron is the biggest player in the world, NOW.They Like LEBRON NOW , but once LEBRON "gets outta pocket" . They Won't have a problem making an example out of him, just so lil BLK GIRLS N BOYS "DON'T GET ANY IDEAS".
    And THE BLK COMMUNITY IS FICKLE ? . WHich one of u ? , will give LEBRON AND SAVANNAH THEIR MILLIONS BACK?

Lebron Is One MAN. CASES LIKE THIS, WARRANTS A NATIONWIDE COMMUNITY RESPONSE.
    While we worry about Lebron, we should be brainstorming ideas to lessen these scenario's in 2016. Cause in 2016 ,they will be plenty more cases like Tamir., And it may be one of our loved ones.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some bootlicking going on in here

Seriously were comparing LeBron sitting out games to thousand and hundredaires(my word) quitting they job....LeBron skill set puts him in a different position than Mike at the office
  • D0wn
    Options
    LeBron is trying to win a ring in Cleveland and become the hero. Meanwhile, there are problems occurring in his hometown that he now has the power to fix. This would be the opportune moment for him to organize black people.

There is no way that he isn't aware of this situation, its Cleveland, how many top-priority news pieces are they running?

But he's all about his image. I'll stick with Melo, may not have a ring, but he's in the streets. Ryker's island, Ferguson, gun violence presentations. Trying to make a change in New York.

again, i'll use this opportunity to highlight how pathetic the so-called blk community really is.

The same ppl who fix they're face up to state that Barak was "not the president of blk ppl, but america". Are the same ppl, who want lebron james be a leader..

The black community has been very passive until late. Everybody wants to make a change but nobody wants to lead. Lebron always showcased himself as a man who is larger than life. This would have been his opportunity. The sacrifices that Muhammad
    Ali and Kareem made, advanced the civil rights cause. For a mega-star like him to speak out would have been momentous. Instead we still walk around with blinders on bringing others back into this bucket of pettiness and ignorance.

As for your Obama comment, he has been a pedestrian president, however; he also didn't do things that adversely hurt the black community. Compared to let's say Clinton's Steagall signing or the incarceration and war on drugs from the past five presidents. Maybe you crave the high-adrenaline country shaking decisions that past presidents led.

Or maybe you don't realize that the president was handed one of the worst hand offs since Tyson ? . The Senate does exist and like all figureheads they have a board to answer to, thus all bills won't be passed.
    I already addressed the bolded.
    Blk Celebs in the past, were able to use their celebrity, and put a light on the movement because, there was an actual movement, with actual leaders, and groups, and most importantly the community was a part of it. it Wasn't just ALI Or BILL RUSSELL OR KAREEM ABDUL by THEMSELVES.

THEY WERE ALL INVOLVED IN SOMETHING BIGGER THAN THEMSELVES.
    WHAT MOVEMENTS DO WE HAVE NOW????????????...
    YA WANT LEBRON TO GO TOE To TOE WITH A PACK OF WOLVES ON HIS OWN. WHILE U COWARDS WATCH FROM THE SIDELINES.
  • Paprika
    Paprika Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Blk Celebs in the past, were able to use their celebrity, and put a light on the movement because, there was an actual movement, with actual leaders, and groups, and most importantly the community was a part of it. it Wasn't just ALI Or BILL RUSSELL OR KAREEM ABDUL by THEMSELVES.

YA WANT LEBRON TO GO TOE To TOE WITH A PACK OF WOLVES ON HIS OWN. WHILE U COWARDS WATCH FROM THE SIDELINES.

I can't believe you went through the trouble to type that out, we know who led and supported. There were designated leaders at the time. Name one now.

He could have been the one to spark that change. He's bigger than most stars, while being dominant and active in his sport. And to think he doesn't have pull with people is a confused point. You think Spike Lee, Denzel, NBA/NFL players, Al Sharpton, Farrakhan wouldn't be apart of this? Not to mention the people they would be branching out to the cause.

The problem is that your thinking is too micro on a macro level. You're throwing rotten apples towards the apple tree allowing everyone else to spoil.

• blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Made a thread about this ? a while back.

Athletes and entertainers are paying attention to how the ones that "buck the system" are treated by the people they stand up for.

Its just not worthwhile when they can just shut up, keep it moving, and collect those checks.
  • D0wn
    edited December 2015
    Options

I can't believe you went through the trouble to type that out, we know who led and supported. There were designated leaders at the time. Name one now.

He could have been the one to spark that change. He's bigger than most stars, while being dominant and active in his sport. And to think he doesn't have pull with people is a confused point. You think Spike Lee, Denzel, NBA/NFL players, Al Sharpton, Farrakhan wouldn't be apart of this? Not to mention the people they would be branching out to the cause.

The problem is that your thinking is too micro on a macro level. You're throwing rotten apples towards the apple tree allowing everyone else to spoil.

Instead of aspiring for the right individual to lead, and capable of making change. You rather focus on a person, with star power. then, u go on to list a bunch of celebrities.
    this is why the blk community is a joke.
    Cacs would of held several town hall meetings, to brainstorm and discuss short terms, and long terms solutions.
    u ? on the other hand, bet your whole savings on a basketball player , and the "bigger star" . I hope you are an 8 year old, typing this ? .

• D0wn
    Options
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options

About what

I'm not sure what he's saying that to say

I'll add on, not holding them responsible hasn't done much for us

we look to them because they have the platform and the reach to convey a message to a bigger audience...that doesn't mean we who don't can't do our part as well but that "they're just athletes/entertainers" excuse is weak