LOL @ J Cole, Drake Or Kendrick Being As Important, Influential Or As Good As KRS One

Comments

• SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair most of dre's projects have been compilation albums. These kind of threads always revert to some type of regional ?
  • FishNChips
    FishNChips Members Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never heard anyone say KRS1 influenced them, or drop him in any kinda top 10 or top 20. saying who's better is just opinion. wankers like gee757 think renzel and tameeka miLL are great rappers, so ya know...
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    _Goldie_ wrote: »
    Chronic
    Chronic 2001
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Not to mention Straight Outta Compton, cut it out b

I don't understand what your comparing. Dre is a producer with marginal rapping ability. His raps are simplistic and at times corny; "When I'm on the mic its like a cookie they all crumble". Yeah O.K.

Dre's best songs are when other people are rapping and those rappers aren't as good as KRS. KRS would mop the floor with Snoop, Kurrupt, RBX and whoever else. KRS was better than Ice Cube imo (although thats debatable) I give Ice Cube props for being a dope West Coast MC but bring Dre's best ghostwriters (including D.O.C.) to a battle and watch KRS give them a wedgie.

• grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chronic
    Chronic 2001
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Comparing KRS & Dre is pretty unbalanced. Dre has never really had an real "solo" album. To me Dre been involved with more classics than KRS (the three albums mentioned). ? he's produced more classics than KRS (No One Can Do It Bettter, ? ).
  • 5 Grand
    grYmes wrote: »
    Chronic
    Chronic 2001
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Comparing KRS & Dre is pretty unbalanced. Dre has never really had an real "solo" album. To me Dre been involved with more classics than KRS (the three albums mentioned). ? he's produced more classics than KRS (No One Can Do It Bettter, ? ).

Unbalanced isn't the right word. KRS is an MC and Dre is a producer. They do two different things. Its like comparing Shaq to Pat Riley. Or Denzel Washington to Spike Lee.
  • 5 Grand
    edited December 2015
    FishNChips wrote: »
    Never heard anyone say KRS1 influenced them, or drop him in any kinda top 10 or top 20. saying who's better is just opinion. wankers like gee757 think renzel and tameeka miLL are great rappers, so ya know...

And here's the ether

KRS One - Tribute to Sublime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhN94yjw3Vo
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    With all that said, Dre's catalog is superior to KRS'.
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just when rap was at an all time low, ppl like cole,krit, and kendrick brought it back, you could argue 2015 was one of the best years in hip hop in a long time, you also cant notice how truly big their impact is for a few years yet so that arguement is pretty weak

Krs one is wack as a person and annoying, he did his thing but hes not seeing kurupt lyrically or flow wise
  • 5 Grand

No its not. He might have more commercial appeal, but when it comes to rhymes, KRS can rap circles around Dre's ghostwriters (whatever that means?!?!)

It depends if you want to hear dope beats and basic rhymes or a lyrical rapper with dope beats. Some people can't digest KRS's rhymes because he's too lyrical miracle, too socio-political.

Personally I thought The Chronic had a few good songs but the rhymes were too basic for me. I thought the same thing about No One Could Do It Better.

In fact, Ghetto Music: The Blueprint of Hip Hop came out the same summer as No One Can Do It Better. The summer of 1989, it was in between my Sophmore year and Junior year. I'm going to post the lead single for both albums. I want you to check out both songs and give me the honest truth. What's better?

Its Funky Enough - D.O.C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiPbeIXZpD4

Why Is That - Boogie Down Productions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGblSeMff3g
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Krs is obviously better than Drake and J-cole. I don't think anyone with any real sense would argue that. First of all J-cole doesn't even really belong in that discussion. He's basically I Am era Nas only without the masterpiece to his name. He's popular, he sells records but he's really an afterthought when you talk about whos making the best music in hip hop. It's Kendrick, Drake and Future, with Vince staples and Pusha t far behind.

Vince Staples better than Cole?

lol_ricky_gervais.gif

Yall ? wildn in this thread
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    edited December 2015
    5 Grand wrote: »

Why Is That - Boogie Down Productions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGblSeMff3g

LMAOOO

Nah bruh you gotta be trollin. ? was doo doo.

Dre has produced for the likes of cube, prime Snoop, Pac, doc, Kendrick, Eminem, Game and Xzibit.

You seriously telling me that KRS would see anyone of them on the mic?
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? said Krit helped bring rap back

Lmao

• Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Nas was just getting started when KRS's contract ended with Jive.

Jay Z had a few false starts and didn't really get going until after KRS went independent."

krs-one-o.gif

Lmao what? These have absolutely nothing to do with KRS.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    EyeofAsaru wrote: »
    Based on sheer storytelling and substance?

No the new ? cant touch the O.Gs

Based on melody and new ways to flow lyrics over beats?

Yes The new ? put a new spin on the genre

• bck145
    Shizlansky wrote: »

Lmao

Best southern rapper doing it right now hasnt helped bring real hip hop back? after clowns like gucci were embarrassments before that....ok then
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Krit didn't bring nothing back

Cole is the best from the south.

Drake showing ppl money is still to be made in hip hop

And K. Dot is the perfect offset from Drake. Balance

These 3 dudes is great for the game.
  • bck145
    edited December 2015
    Krit didn't bring nothing back

Cole is the best from the south.

Drake showing ppl money is still to be made in hip hop

And K. Dot is the perfect offset from Drake. Balance

These 3 dudes is great for the game.

Cole doesnt have the replay value or southern soul that krit has....but its close

But you saying krit aint good for the game? Haha imo hes one of the more consistent rappers since 2010
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    my favorite rappers from the south rite now is krit (never got off into cole foreal), curren$y, and international jones.... jay elec too, not sure if he counts as a southern rapper, not even sure if he counts as a rapper anymore either tho.
  • saracenwire
    saracenwire Members Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭
    Krs is obviously better than Drake and J-cole. I don't think anyone with any real sense would argue that. First of all J-cole doesn't even really belong in that discussion. He's basically I Am era Nas only without the masterpiece to his name. He's popular, he sells records but he's really an afterthought when you talk about whos making the best music in hip hop. It's Kendrick, Drake and Future, with Vince staples and Pusha t far behind.

Vince Staples better than Cole?

lol_ricky_gervais.gif

Yall ? wildn in this thread

Vince staples album ? on anything J cole has ever done. After Kendrick, Vince had the most acclaimed hip hop album by far. Like I said J Cole is late 90s nas. He's good and has a sizeable fan base but he's basically irrelevant in pop culture and no one who really maters is checking for dude.
  • macadonwoo
    macadonwoo Members Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Krs One yelling his ass off with no Flow has never been a good look fam EVER!
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as influential, nah prolly not

as good as, nah cuz they better. rise & shine>>u must learn, ? this aint school
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    edited December 2015

Lmao

some of us go by actual quality instead of who u hear on the radio

cadillactica>>what cole and drake dropped since.

its better this way>>>

yall love crowning cole when he has no album with replay value and has wack verses like on planes but downing krit cuz he dont sell as much?

i like the guy, but his music hasnt been where i thought it'd be. matter fact ive said several times, he'd be dope on krit production.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Ima big KRS fan , but the 3 you named are the GOATs of this generation. As influential you think KRS is to hiphop, those 3 are that if not more to this generation.

Here's something I found on Youtube. This explains it better than I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY_AZfec82Y

video is hilarious, but what gets me is the people who actually believe this ? 100%. u can tell who dont have internet if they cant find anyone these days who spit, lol @ back in the day sounding like dipset b team.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KRS was on a major label from 1987-1997. Who was hotter than KRS between 1987-1997?

Tribe, Snoop, Scarface, Redman, Wutang, Bone Thugs, Public Enemy, Cypress Hill, De La Soul, Common, Naughty by Nature, The Beastie Boys...

A lot of people were making hot albums in that time period