Massive fire at High-Rise luxury hotel in Dubai

Mr.LV
Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2015 in For The Grown & Sexy
Fire at downtown Dubai's highrise Address hotel

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/31/middleeast/dubai-address-hotel-fire/
A massive fire broke out Thursday night at the high-end Address hotel in downtown Dubai, the government of the United Arab Emirates' most populous city said.

Video showed orange tentacles of flames swirling up the outside of several stories at the high-rise hotel's midsection.

As many as four crews of firefighters are battling the blaze, the government said. Early reports from Dubai authorities said the fire started on the 20th floor.

The Address hotel describes itself as "the premier five-star hotel" in Dubai. It stands near the Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest skyscraper.

Maha Abouelnebin, who lives in Dubai, told CNN she was with her family having dinner in the hotel at 9:30 p.m. She saw what appeared to be a low flame and thought maybe someone was cooking something.

Then she said she realized, "Oh my ? ... that's a fire. ... We decided we needed to get out of there."

She said that staff were very efficient in moving people out of the hotel. "They got us out calmly... quickly. We were impressed with how easy we got out of there."

Some people were at the hotel to watch New Year's fireworks that were scheduled for around midnight.

Information on whether anyone was injured wasn't immediately available.
https://youtu.be/obRM9bv7jA8
https://youtu.be/OtBF1_i3EZo

Comments

• MrMinimalist
    MrMinimalist Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope this doesn't effect my future trip there.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wanna go so bad but I'm scared.

Ever since that Anerican lady got threw in jail for public displays of affection. Too many rules
  • MrMinimalist

Ever since that Anerican lady got threw in jail for public displays of affection. Too many rules

Our american dollars worth over three times as much over there, I can bail myself out.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    let that ? burn
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dam that fire huge
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    happy new year?
  • Lincoln
    Lincoln Members Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • 313 wayz
    313 wayz Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

You really don't have too much to worry about.....I'm not really familiar with the lady being thrown in jail.....I go there 3-4 times a year. The best place to stay is near the Dubai Mall (which is where the hotel fire happened) or Jumeriah Beach. There are things they do frown upon like drinking alcohol in public, public displays of affection outside of holding hands, etc. Outside of the place being really expensive, I really like it bc of the different things to do their and see

• kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They'll be alright.
  • bless the child
    bless the child Members Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016

Our american dollars worth over three times as much over there, I can bail myself out.

It's really not though. I got fooled into believing that until I got there. 1 dollar = 3.65 dirham. I thought I was gonna be balling but it was pretty much like the states. Like for instance, say a 20 ounce of coke is a dollar here in America. In Dubai a 20 ounce was the same thing, like 4 dirham or something. I dont remember exactly. Only real deal over there is buying gold. You can get some pure ? for like 50 percent what it's worth in the states. And cigarettes were cheap as ? too.
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why are you scared? Hoes go there all the time to get ? and sh-tted on! Not saying that your on btw.
  • MrMinimalist
    313 wayz wrote: »

You really don't have too much to worry about.....I'm not really familiar with the lady being thrown in jail.....I go there 3-4 times a year. The best place to stay is near the Dubai Mall (which is where the hotel fire happened) or Jumeriah Beach. There are things they do frown upon like drinking alcohol in public, public displays of affection outside of holding hands, etc. Outside of the place being really expensive, I really like it bc of the different things to do their and see

What's the average ticket price and best airline companies you mostly use to go there? When I searched during multiple months during the year, seems like average round trip ticket was $1200. I'm looking to stay 4-7 days.

• 313 wayz
    313 wayz Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    313 wayz wrote: »

What's the average ticket price and best airline companies you mostly use to go there? When I searched during multiple months during the year, seems like average round trip ticket was $1200. I'm looking to stay 4-7 days.

I stay in Atlanta so it costs me about $1100 - $1300 for a non-stop 13 - 16 hour flight to Dubai on Delta. I'm ? bc Delta and other US airlines have recently stopped or will stop straight flights to Dubai. You can try to fly Emirates Airlines, I think they have a straight flight from Orlando, Chicago and other cities. Emirates is the best airline b/c they have all kinds of movies, a bar, and showers on the flight. Check out the link below to see if they offer straight flights to DXB (Dubai)

http://www.emirates.com/english/destinations/flights-to-dubai.aspx

• xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait why didn't it collapse in on itself???
  • cannonspike1994
    cannonspike1994 Members Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Babylon is burning