Chris Rock: If Jennifer Lawrence Were Black, She’d Really Have Something To Complain About

Options
13»

Comments

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    What movie has this chick carried by herself? Hunger Games, X-Men, are basically a established franchise where a monkey could of played her role and it would of done 300 mil. All her other flicks she was a co-lead. She has never had to carry a movie like RDJ did with Sherlock Holmes.

I can't think of one movie this chick has carried to huge success that wasn't an established brand.

Thats so true that she really benefited from roles that anyone could have been plugged in to, she's really just kinda been at the right place at the right time.

Winter's Bone is a really underatted flick tho. She was great in that.
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So nobody peeped that the reason jlaw was making less was not due to a systematic inequality but a failure on her behalf to negotiate?

• vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hunger games overrated and hate mystique get all the screen time. Need more magneto
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Scroter wrote: »
    if Lawrence wants more doe she's got to show more hole
    The fappeneing Jennifer Lawrence: The forth awakens
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Jennifer knows she gotta go through that ? /bukakke treatment in Hollywood and she don't want to, now she's complaining.

Those Jewish elites like "you want your bank account laced, well ? take it to the face!"

She made $52 million in the past year though, so....her bank account is already laced.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She made 52 M's last year.......broke ?
  • thefabmd2dc
    thefabmd2dc Members Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You have to be some sort of narcissist to think that when you are already making millions and more than many men and women on the planet that you need some people to cape for you because some men somewhere are making more and its not fair.
    Chris is right black women in hollywood have the real struggle white feminists are a problem as well because they almost always ignore minorities
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm a little torn by Lawrence's gripe to be honest. On the one hand, I do agree it seems unfair that she get's paid so much less than her male counterparts. On the other hand, I don't think simply comparing how much a female makes to how much a male makes is fair. For example, she sees it as unfair that the Downey Jr. is the highest paid actor and he makes so much more than her, the highest paid actress. The problem is that 1) Downey's been doing it longer and has earned the right to ask for more, 2) Downey is just plain better at the craft, 3) Downey has a bigger name in the industry, 4) Downey can get ticket sales off his name. That last one is the kicker to me. Garner has been in some popular movies with the Hunger Games series and the X-men reboot movies, so you can look at her resumes and see that she has had great success. But people are going to to see those movies more out of loyalty to the franchises than anything in particular she's done. Downey Jr. gets paid a ? ton because the studios know they will get ticket sales off his presence alone. Can we really say the same for Lawrence?
  • FourEfil
    FourEfil Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LordZuko wrote: »
    So nobody peeped that the reason jlaw was making less was not due to a systematic inequality but a failure on her behalf to negotiate?

she even said that too
  • Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When you mention the gender wage gap, they purposely make it missleading in their favor. Like when they say male ceos make more that female ceos, they use the fact that there are more male ceos to their advantage.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You have to be some sort of narcissist to think that when you are already making millions and more than many men and women on the planet that you need some people to cape for you because some men somewhere are making more and its not fair.

Chris is right black women in hollywood have the real struggle white feminists are a problem as well because they almost always ignore minorities

giphy.gif

I know what u mean, but sometimes yall REALLY gotta think twice about what yall are sayin
  • S2J
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Lol @ yall wanting black women to make more...but thinking that battle wil be won before /without the acknowledgment of women in general

This is what happens when you paint along racial lines

Like her or not, and whether she realizes it or not, and whether YALL realize it or not, there is not going to be a NEW BLACK HOLLYWOOD created, so her fightfor women helps black women. Hypothetically if some across the board pay raise came into play, it'd come thru the SAG, and in the SAG those black actresses would be affected also, AND then they would have to fight separately in addition to that

But its not gonna be some separate SAG just for black folk. Iys not gon be 'man fucl Jennifer Lawrence, we need to pay Angela Bassett more'. Thats where yall dilusion comes in.

If Jennifer Lawrence is underpaid Angela Basset damn sure aint gettin her raise before her. Thats not RIGHT, but thats reality
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    The is white feminist problems and then the rest of us.

But white women try to be slick by saying ? like its the white males when they are part of have benefited from actual inequality.

And 95% of'em cosign white male supremacy
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris's words were taken out of context

He was asked about the career and hardships of SNL comedian Leslie Jones for a profile

He referred to Jennifer Lawerence's essay not to undermine what she is trying to accomplish, but to further illustrate the difficulties and obstacles blk female entertainers like Jones face today

A fact many white americans are still ignorant too

I really had no problem with Lawrence's essay besides the omission of race...but she's white so...
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FourEfil wrote: »

she even said that too

To be fair, she said she didn't know to negotiate better because she thought she was getting paid correctly. She didn't know the discrepancy between her pay and what her coworkers were getting until after the Sony hack. So it is kinda her fault, but it's also the industry's fault.

He was asked about the career and hardships of SNL comedian Leslie Jones for a profile

He referred to Jennifer Lawerence's essay not to undermine what she is trying to accomplish, but to further illustrate the difficulties and obstacles blk female entertainers like Jones face today

A fact many white americans are still ignorant too

I really had no problem with Lawrence's essay besides the omission of race...but she's white so...

That's par for the course with Rock's statements these days though. I'm surprised he has any white fans left. Every time he makes a comment on race, they go out of their way to misrepresent what he's saying.
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    Lol @ yall wanting black women to make more...but thinking that battle wil be won before /without the acknowledgment of women in general

Like her or not, and whether she realizes it or not, and whether YALL realize it or not, there is not going to be a NEW BLACK HOLLYWOOD created, so her fightfor women helps black women. Hypothetically if some across the board pay raise came into play, it'd come thru the SAG, and in the SAG those black actresses would be affected also, AND then they would have to fight separately in addition to that

But its not gonna be some separate SAG just for black folk. Iys not gon be 'man fucl Jennifer Lawrence, we need to pay Angela Bassett more'. Thats where yall dilusion comes in.

If Jennifer Lawrence is underpaid Angela Basset damn sure aint gettin her raise before her. Thats not RIGHT, but thats reality

I think anybody with common sense understands this, so it isn't like you are stating something that is deeply profound. LMAO.

I think the woman has a legit gripe if the movies she stars in are making more consistently than her male counterparts. She should most definitely get paid accordingly and I would hope to believe Chris Rock and anybody else with decency would feel the same way. Chris just pointed out that while they were on the subject of her not getting paid accordingly that a few groups as a whole isn't even getting a fair shot at work period not to mention getting fair wages.

I don't think he was trying to down play her argument at all. He was using her argument which it seems since she has built up some cache as a spring board to go even deeper on the subject at hand

• S2J
    edited January 2016
    Options
    S2J wrote: »

I think anybody with common sense understands this, so it isn't like you are stating something that is deeply profound. LMAO.

I think the woman has a legit gripe if the movies she stars in are making more consistently than her male counterparts. She should most definitely get paid accordingly and I would hope to believe Chris Rock and anybody else with decency would feel the same way. Chris just pointed out that while they were on the subject of her not getting paid accordingly that a few groups as a whole isn't even getting a fair shot at work period not to mention getting fair wages.

I don't think he was trying to down play her argument at all. He was using her argument which it seems since she has built up some cache as a spring board to go even deeper on the subject at hand

Fam i say that to myself damn near every fukin IC thread!

Yet here the ? we are. Over...and over...and over again. Read the posts on the thread . There's a lot of great storytellers: i cant make them ? up

Common sense aint so common, and a lot of these IC ? have a very bitter, victimized, whoa is me, feminine way of thinking. Its disgusting

"Oh so Chris Rock can say this... but Lebron dont know about Tamir Rice! "

Fam thats how braind dead, always gettin ? over so she paranoid, lack of education hoodrats argue. So no, these ? do NOT have that common sense. I am not making this ? up lls smh
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Say my name. ? . @S2J and stop low key nitpicking at all my posts cause I ? on you 1-2 times.
  • KingFreeman
    Options
    Got the nerve to insinuate I'm feminine following me around like a scorned chick.
  • S2J
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Say my name. ? . @S2J and stop low key nitpicking at all my posts cause I ? on you 1-2 times.
    Got the nerve to insinuate I'm feminine following me around like a scorned chick.

i5upht.jpg
  • KingFreeman
    Options
  • cannonspike1994
    cannonspike1994 Members Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FourEfil wrote: »

she even said that too

To be fair, she said she didn't know to negotiate better because she thought she was getting paid correctly. She didn't know the discrepancy between her pay and what her coworkers were getting until after the Sony hack. So it is kinda her fault, but it's also the industry's fault.

That's par for the course with Rock's statements these days though. I'm surprised he has any white fans left. Every time he makes a comment on race, they go out of their way to misrepresent what he's saying.

He's Chris Rock white people love him.