Upcoming Original Netflix Series About South Bronx In The 70's(Hip Hop & Gangs)

Options

Comments

• BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Show is addictive.
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Seen about the first 20 minutes, ? kind of corny a ? with 2 cans of spray paint being fantasized about as a super hero jumping from building to building doing grafitti and harlem globetrotter moves with the cans.
  • The Recipe
    Options
    BenjaminE wrote: »
    The Recipe wrote: »
    Seen about the first 20 minutes, ? kind of corny a ? with 2 cans of spray paint being fantasized about as a super hero jumping from building to building doing grafitti and harlem globetrotter moves with the cans.

I'm three episodes in... You gotta watch the whole episode to see how it connects... The superhero dude becomes a fleshed out character... They're obviously going for an Empire type of vibe set at the birth of hip-hop with cat's impersonating the pioneers...

I'm not saying it's not corny at times... its essentially Baz Lurman(sp?) continuing his infatuation with hip-hop he tried to shoe-horn into The Great Gatsby...

Its funny how the beginning plays out almost exactly like DOPE, except the main dude from that is playing ASAP Rocky's character in this...

Some of the acting from the leads is cringe-worthy (ol dude trying to get into the club, ol girl singing in church), even some of the writing is baffling (They really don't recognize Shaolin when they meet him?), but the authenticity of the era, the break-down of the elements, the rhymes all show that they did their research...

Ima keep watching...

Ima get around to finishing it but im not in a hurry probably check it this winter.
  • lordstanley
    lordstanley Members Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea there's corny parts definitely but most of them kinda fit with the shows vibe to me...? gets better after the first few episodes too
  • white sympathizer
    white sympathizer Members Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? is wack

? 90 min episodes about old ass rappers and ? ?

? who wanna watch that?

Give me a 90 min future tv show or something with vert ?
  • The Recipe
    Options
    This ? is wack

? 90 min episodes about old ass rappers and ? ?

? who wanna watch that?

Give me a 90 min future tv show or something with vert ?

Tyra banks made that show a few years ago.
  • LOLCL
    LOLCL Members Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The rapper at the beginning is entirely out of place and takes me out of the narrative. I don't understand who this guy is, besides just being an older version of the main character. It starts off showing that the main character is at least a junior in high school, so let's say he's like 17 in 1977 when episode 1 is set. The intro-rapper time period is set in 96, making him 46 years old. What 46 year old rapper was out in the 90s like that selling out stadiums?

Can someone explain this.
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    LOLCL wrote: »
    The rapper at the beginning is entirely out of place and takes me out of the narrative. I don't understand who this guy is, besides just being an older version of the main character. It starts off showing that the main character is at least a junior in high school, so let's say he's like 17 in 1977 when episode 1 is set. The intro-rapper time period is set in 96, making him 46 years old. What 46 year old rapper was out in the 90s like that selling out stadiums?

Baz Lurman (sp?)

The same guy who thought ? were doing The Charleston to "Izzo" in the 20's...
  • BeleeDatPleighboy
    BeleeDatPleighboy Members Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options

He actually would be 36 breh...but i kinda thought the same thing...but ?

Hov selling out stadiums in his 40s so......the idea aint as far fetched as it seems my ?

? most of the big artists that can sell out an arena are in thier mid 30s
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's a good show... It started out slow but got much better.

The main dude and his crew can sometimes be pretty corny, but I like how the situations they've gotten in are natural and flow together, not over the top ? like Empire.

I like the direction and I will certainly watch when part 2 comes out.
  • lordstanley
    lordstanley Members Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? ..I knew jaden smith was bout to be on some ? ? tho
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You might need to retake math fam.
  • The Recipe
    Options
    bbkg79 wrote: »
    Some of yall are saying it's corny, but that's how it was back then. That's how people talked, acted, got down. The show is ill, born in 79, this right up my alley, I ? love this ? b.

So captain graffiti aint corny bruh?
  • LOLCL
    Options
    Yeah my math was way off idk what was wrong with me.
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas wrote EVERY rap in every episode in the whole show.. ? talented as hell..
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nice, Bronx stand up!
  • The Recipe
    Options
    illedout wrote: »

Is that intro song new, that ? dope asf.
  • illedout
    Options

Every rhyme in the series is new..

Something that stood out to me about the show is how they kept saying most of the dj's were ? ..

They knew back in the 70's that Bambata was ? ..
  • illedout
    Options
    Wooooooooooaaaaaaaahhh !!!!!!!

I just got to the part where Jaden Smith on some faggety ? .. This show is exposing a lot of industry ? ..
  • LOLCL
    edited August 2016
    Options

Something that stood out to me about the show is how they kept saying most of the dj's were ? ..

They knew back in the 70's that Bambata was ? ..

They were saying most of the disco DJ's for this but it would make sense for some of the DJ's, especially the caesars, especially when they were threatening to ? the fantastic four in the ass then torture them. That was pretty weird and random.
  • The Recipe
    Options

Main reason im watching the show.
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From the very first scene you can tell Shoulin dies. That kind of ? up the show